ImageImage

OT: Video Gaming Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Re: OT: Video Gaming Thread 

Post#1661 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Oct 6, 2015 11:29 pm

Super Mario Maker has a Wii U on my mind...solely for one game. I don't know if I can justify it right now, though, with FO4 out in a month.

Any impressions thus far? Is it mostly junk levels?
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#1662 » by Aaron It Out » Wed Oct 7, 2015 2:26 am

Sauce Boss wrote:
Aaron It Out wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:I love Cherry Browns, that's probably my favorite mechanical switch right now. I'm kind of jealous of your Das, but I could never do blank keys, I need some reference printed on my keys.

Curious: Why did you go with a 4690k? Was it the same socket as your motherboard? Why not just go straight to Skylake 6600k or an x99 processor? Just seems like an odd grab to me personally, but I'm one to go right to the newest tech when I make a substantial upgrade.

I wasn't sure about the blank keys either, but a co-worker of mine uses one at work and it's awesome. There are still notches on the f and j keys, so you have that reference at least. I was most worried about special characters, because I don't always know which number they line up with, but so far it hasn't been an issue. It's made me learn to type smarter if that doesn't sound too ridiculous.

And yeah, it was tempting to go with a Skylake build, but when I was putting builds together I kept going way too far over my budget. 1151 socket Mobo's at the price point I was looking at 1150 don't seem to be as highly reviewed. The DDR4 memory is attractive, but again, it was going to cost me extra, especially since I'm grabbing some DDR3 out of my old rig.

Now you're going to have me second guessing me myself for not forking up the extra cash to go all new with Skylake and company. But in my eyes I did fork up the extra cash by investing extra into a nice PSU, Mobo, case, monitor, and keyboard. The 4690k is a beast that I've had my eye on for a long time now, probably played into staying with the Haswell build. People seem to really like that chip for gaming. It certainly shouldn't have any issues powering my components for the next several years.

I suppose that's all agreeable. My philosophy is just that when it comes time to spend, I spend.

My build is from 2012 and I feel like I need to upgrade, but that's mainly because my GPU is a 2GB GTX 680. The lower VRAM is hurting me on some of the newer games, notably GTAV when trying to crank the graphics settings up. I'm considering waiting for Pascal to do a full upgrade, but I'm not sure if I can wait. At worst, I'll get a GTX 980 TI and hopefully use the step up program to just swap it out right away. I'm also considering a Titan X just to go overkill on the VRAM for a single card build and just not upgrade for five years.

Heh. My build is from a year earlier with 1GB Radeon 7770. That VRAM has been hurting for awhile. The GPU fans and my CPU heatsink were starting to run a lot more often, and loud, despite keeping the inside clean. The hard drive is a piece of crap too. Overall I didn't know what the hell I was doing when I built this thing. So trust me when I say that this new build is going to be a big upgrade lol. It was as good as I was going to get with needing a new rig now, while keeping somewhat of a budget.

I can't wait for the day when a Titan X or a 980Ti doesn't completely rape my bank account. Maybe when I'm done being a lowly intern :D
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#1663 » by Sauce Boss » Wed Oct 7, 2015 3:00 am

Aaron It Out wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:
Aaron It Out wrote:
I wasn't sure about the blank keys either, but a co-worker of mine uses one at work and it's awesome. There are still notches on the f and j keys, so you have that reference at least. I was most worried about special characters, because I don't always know which number they line up with, but so far it hasn't been an issue. It's made me learn to type smarter if that doesn't sound too ridiculous.

And yeah, it was tempting to go with a Skylake build, but when I was putting builds together I kept going way too far over my budget. 1151 socket Mobo's at the price point I was looking at 1150 don't seem to be as highly reviewed. The DDR4 memory is attractive, but again, it was going to cost me extra, especially since I'm grabbing some DDR3 out of my old rig.

Now you're going to have me second guessing me myself for not forking up the extra cash to go all new with Skylake and company. But in my eyes I did fork up the extra cash by investing extra into a nice PSU, Mobo, case, monitor, and keyboard. The 4690k is a beast that I've had my eye on for a long time now, probably played into staying with the Haswell build. People seem to really like that chip for gaming. It certainly shouldn't have any issues powering my components for the next several years.

I suppose that's all agreeable. My philosophy is just that when it comes time to spend, I spend.

My build is from 2012 and I feel like I need to upgrade, but that's mainly because my GPU is a 2GB GTX 680. The lower VRAM is hurting me on some of the newer games, notably GTAV when trying to crank the graphics settings up. I'm considering waiting for Pascal to do a full upgrade, but I'm not sure if I can wait. At worst, I'll get a GTX 980 TI and hopefully use the step up program to just swap it out right away. I'm also considering a Titan X just to go overkill on the VRAM for a single card build and just not upgrade for five years.

Heh. My build is from a year earlier with 1GB Radeon 7770. That VRAM has been hurting for awhile. The GPU fans and my CPU heatsink were starting to run a lot more often, and loud, despite keeping the inside clean. The hard drive is a piece of crap too. Overall I didn't know what the hell I was doing when I built this thing. So trust me when I say that this new build is going to be a big upgrade lol. It was as good as I was going to get with needing a new rig now, while keeping somewhat of a budget.

I can't wait for the day when a Titan X or a 980Ti doesn't completely rape my bank account. Maybe when I'm done being a lowly intern :D

12 month financing on Newegg.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#1664 » by neiLz » Thu Oct 8, 2015 7:10 pm

Just downloaded Star Wars Battlefront beta for PC. played 10 mins on lunch. super fun. Can't wait for the weekend. Game looks beautiful even on my geforce 760ti in ultra settings!
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1665 » by WRau1 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 8:03 pm

Sauce Boss wrote: At worst, I'll get a GTX 980 TI and hopefully use the step up program to just swap it out right away. I'm also considering a Titan X just to go overkill on the VRAM for a single card build and just not upgrade for five years.

That's almost exactly what I did.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1666 » by Sauce Boss » Thu Oct 8, 2015 8:57 pm

WRau1 wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote: At worst, I'll get a GTX 980 TI and hopefully use the step up program to just swap it out right away. I'm also considering a Titan X just to go overkill on the VRAM for a single card build and just not upgrade for five years.

What did you do?
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
WRau1
RealGM

Post#1667 » by WRau1 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 9:22 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
WRau1 wrote:

What did you do?

980 TI until I can swap up.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1668 » by Sauce Boss » Thu Oct 8, 2015 9:38 pm

WRau1 wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:
WRau1 wrote:

What did you do?

I can't remember if the swap up is a Nvidia program or an EVGA program. I'm leaning that way, but need to figure out my time window for being able to swap.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#1669 » by WRau1 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 10:21 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:What did you do?

I can't remember if the swap up is a Nvidia program or an EVGA program. I'm leaning that way, but need to figure out my time window for being able to swap.

EVGA and it's from 90 days of the original purchase. You have 14 days to activate the step up program, though. I have about a month and a half left to decide.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#1670 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 11:08 pm

2k has charged me 80 dollars worth of VC. Since the game came out, I've been trying to buy 10k of VC. Every time I got "transaction cancelled" and didn't see the VC so assumed everything was fine. Today when I played I saw I got 322 K on my account. Looked at my bank statements and saw I was charged for each time I did it. Tried to call 2k support its been closed since 2014. This is so frustrating.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#1671 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Oct 9, 2015 12:02 am

PS4 is dropping to $349.99 starting tomorrow. Someone was just asking about prices a page or two ago, I think...
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,114

Post#1672 » by FrieAaron » Fri Oct 9, 2015 12:59 am

Just got done playing a bit of Battlefront. It's OK, but most of my enjoyment was muted by the stupid experience system. I'm so sick of these games that make you "earn" better gear by getting your ass kicked by people who have grenades, better weapons and personal shields.
The Wet Whistle
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,252

Post#1673 » by The Wet Whistle » Fri Oct 9, 2015 1:09 am

FrieAaron wrote:Just got done playing a bit of Battlefront. It's OK, but most of my enjoyment was muted by the stupid experience system. I'm so sick of these games that make you "earn" better gear by getting your ass kicked by people who have grenades, better weapons and personal shields.

Aw, they went that route? I **** hate that. Makes the game less about skill & more about who poured more hours into it to get better stuff. Garbage
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1674 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Oct 9, 2015 2:28 am

The Wet Whistle wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:Just got done playing a bit of Battlefront. It's OK, but most of my enjoyment was muted by the stupid experience system. I'm so sick of these games that make you "earn" better gear by getting your ass kicked by people who have grenades, better weapons and personal shields.

Aw, they went that route? I **** hate that. Makes the game less about skill & more about who poured more hours into it to get better stuff. Garbage

From the sounds of things it's simplified Battlefield with a Star Wars skin. I'm downloading the beta now to see for myself.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,114

Post#1675 » by FrieAaron » Fri Oct 9, 2015 3:04 am

Sauce Boss wrote:
The Wet Whistle wrote:

From the sounds of things it's simplified Battlefield with a Star Wars skin. I'm downloading the beta now to see for myself.

I haven't played a lot of the more recent Battlefield's, but yeah, pretty much. I mean it's awesome to be able to fly tie fighters and use AT-ATs, but gameplay wise there's not much new here, and Hoth seems extremely imbalanced right now.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#1676 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Oct 9, 2015 5:28 am

The Wet Whistle wrote:

Honest question because I don't know and this bugs me too: how is matchmaking not better about this in 2015? It's essentially why I've stuck with single player games for the last decade. Who the hell wants to be the low ranked a*shole cannon fodder in a game where everyone is loaded with insane gear and experience?

I really feel like I'd enjoy and stick with games like Battlefield if there was no chance of winding up in a match where I'm 30 levels below half my team.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,775

Post#1677 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Oct 9, 2015 7:35 am

Practice sessions in mycareer are the absolute worst.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
jmuelly
Junior
And1: 88

Post#1678 » by jmuelly » Fri Oct 9, 2015 11:32 am

I really liked the beta, but I wish there was a bigger grouping than 1 partner. I generally play with a a group of 3-5. If you’re an odd # someone wont have a partner for battle and if you have even #s you don’t feel any connection to your entire group of friends as you’re really not aware where they may be etc.

I do hope there is more items to unlock through progression. I for one never have had a problem with that format, so many games use it now and quite honestly those who play them will be able to be competitive out of the box. Mode I jumped into suggest I rank up before hopping into it and I was able to lead my team in scoring by playing objectives while still going 18-7.

As a battlefield player the game felt a bit vanilla at times. Some of that because your limited to a single partner and another because the demand/need for ammo/health/support etc is nonexistent making the strategy quite limited. I don’t reseach much on titles but I’d imagine there is a wide range of gadgets and weapons etc that were not seeing in the beta.

Great gameplay at the core, but limited options on the battlefield, balancing issues ruin some of the experience. Game has huge potential but it must do something to separate itself from being just another FPS, and being a nostalgic reskin of a series so many love. I WILL be buying day 1, nothing has changed. I had fun, I just don’t want it to fall victim to BF:Hardline and be labeled simply a reskin.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#1679 » by machu46 » Fri Oct 9, 2015 4:25 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:Practice sessions in mycareer are the absolute worst.

Really? That's been one of my favorite additions to the game.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,139

Post#1680 » by BMatt07 » Fri Oct 9, 2015 6:02 pm

Really been hooked on Destiny : TTK on PS4 as of late.

Finally got my character up to 294 light, going to give the raid a try tonight for the first time. Anyone try the King's Fall raid yet?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks