Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

OT: Video Gaming Thread 

Post#1 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:54 pm

Hey everyone,

The last console I had was the PS2. I enjoyed playing games on it - mostly sports stuff, but with a view others mixed in. I never upgraded to the PS3 largely because money was tight when I was in school - and frankly, I never really had the time to play anyway.

Now, I'm thinking of making the leap to a new console. The graphics of some of the games which have come out look incredible. But, I am not sure what to buy.

I'm historically aligned with the Playstation because I had the PS1 and 2. But I'm also far enough removed from it that it wouldn't be a dramatically different learning curve if I switched to the XBox.

I'm also concerned whether I should get a console now or whether it would be better to wait a year. I know the price won't be massively different, but are their features I should be waiting for? Are their problems with the consoles that won't be resolved until the next iteration of the console comes out?

So, two questions:

PS4 or XBox One?
Should I get one now or wait?
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Re: OT: Video Game Consoles 

Post#2 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:57 pm

If you want a Playstation I wouldn't wait, I think they generally are released every 5-7 years and the 4 was released in 2013.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,457

Post#3 » by Matches Malone » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:58 pm

Love both consoles, but I've had far better experiences with the Playstation's then I ever did with the Xbox's.

I say get the PS4 but wait till the holiday season picks up. Most bugs should be fixed by now but you might get better deals or packages around the holiday season as opposed to now.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,951

Post#4 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:00 pm

From this morning: this about sums up the next gen experience.

As one of the thousands of suckers who purchased a Day One Edition of the Xbox One, I've waited for more than eight months now for a title that lives up to the next-gen console's supposed potential, and so far nada. It's a testament to how terrible the lineup has been so far that I actually completed the entire Dead Rising 3 campaign, which was lame as ****, but at least kept me engaged by letting me make guns out of dildos. I'm guessing a lot of gamers were feeling similarly (about the dearth of good games, if not the dildos): Please, God, give me a game I can get lost in and play endlessly for the rest of the year.

The next-gen consoles both suck. I mean, I guess maybe they themselves don't suck. But the games really, really suck. At best, they're modest graphical updates to the games available on last-gen. At worst, they're stripped down versions of good titles available on the last gen. NBA 2K14, looking at you.

The (very) good news for you is the last gen consoles and their games are now cheap. You have an enormous library of cheap content to check out.

When I was reading that article this morning, it linked to another that I agree with 100%. I could have writen it word for word: Borderlands 2 is the best video game ever.

That'd be a game I'd check out. There are dozens more.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:02 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:If you want a Playstation I wouldn't wait, I think they generally are released every 5-7 years and the 4 was released in 2013.

I'm not saying wait until the PS5 comes out. Most console systems have about a 10 year lifespan.

I'm saying wait because their may be bugs in the current generation that still need fixing, or their will be updates to the current generation that will give it more features, or any other practical reason to wait.
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#6 » by glenn » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:05 pm

I agree that if you skipped the last generation you may almost be better off just getting a PS3 or Xbox 360. The kinks have been worked out of the hardware, for the most part, and there are tons of games worth playing (like Borderlands 2).
:reporter:
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#7 » by BobbyLight » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:10 pm

I am a PlayStation guy (and huge gamer, seriously, I got problems http://psnprofiles.com/BobbbyLight) and haven't felt the need to jump into the current gen because the games just aren't there.

To address your specific points... The main difference between the two systems is the operating system, online functionality and exclusive titles. There have been some differences in resolution and framerate, as the PlaySation has (slightly) more power, at least enough to make a difference in multi platform titles. That shouldn't matter. Unless you play both consoles right next to each other on two TV's at the same time. MS also recently freed memory by not requiring Kinect functionality at all times so that "gap" might not even be there in the future at at least the gap will grow smaller.

The operating systems aren't really a reason to buy one or the other. Both have a lot of similar functionality. Both capture video which you can edit, both have social sharing options and both use Twitch to steam if you are inclined to do so.

The online functionality is largely the same. XBox Live had an advantage, according to most, during the last gen. This gen, things seem very similar. The advantage would lie in PlayStation Plus which provides free games across all PS platforms. You get 2 Vita titles, 2 PS4 and 2 PS3 titles a month (each needs to be played on that console). The PS4 games, thus far, have been Indie games. Also, MS is catching up here but PS is probably ahead for right now.

Exclusives don't sound like an issue if you are looking to play mostly sports. Unless you love baseball games as PS has the only baseball game worth playing (last year it might have been the only baseball title, period).

I honestly think the only thing that should matter to you is where your friends play. I assume you like to play sports games online, I assume you have friends you do that with. Get whatever system your friends have, every other feature is splitting hairs.

I am going to get a PS4 next, but I am just a PS guy and probably always will be. I'm just not the kind of guy who will talk anyone out of an Xbox, the systems are too close this gen to really argue one over the other.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#8 » by Aaron It Out » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:14 pm

I have been quite disappointed with the next gen consoles so far. The big releases have all been underwhelming compared to the hype they had. I wish I never got rid of my PS3 or instead invested in better hardware for my gaming PC.I admit I haven't played any new releases on my PS4 since Watch Dogs because of this and haven't really been paying attention to new games. I know October is supposed to be a big month. I'm sure by the holiday season you can get nice deals on Call of Duty 2k15 and NBA 2k with all new microtransactions.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,488

Post#9 » by Profound23 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Wii-U with Mario Kart is better than anything Xbox 1 and PS4 have.

I own all three.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#10 » by BUCKnation » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:32 pm

My 360 broke after about 5 years and I recently bought the upgraded version for $60 on ebay. I still wanted to play my old games and since the online is the same for most games I play, I'm in no rush to upgrade.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:41 pm

I really appreciate the feedback. To those who are suggesting a last gen console - Does it make sense to drop $200 on a last gen console when it's relevancy as a game system is going to wane over the next 2-3 years? I'd like to think that the idea of a next gen console is as an investment. Sure, the games might not be out in full force right now, but in a year, it might be a whole different landscape, no?

ETA: Dell has this special right now that looks intriguing, which is why I thought about a next-gen: PS4 Bundle w/ MLB '14 The Show & 3-Month PS Plus Subscription and $100 PROMO eGift Card for $450.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#12 » by BUCKnation » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:48 pm

IMO, in your situation, I'd just upgrade to the new gen. Since you don't have anything in the last gen, you might as well start with the new systems. I don't know what/how often you play, but its market and usability will pick up. If you are content with big releases like NBA 2k or FIFA or etc., you'll be fine.

Like I said for me, I still love playing my old 360 games and since XBone is not backwards compatible it made sense for me to drop some money on a 360. In your situation it probably doesn't.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#13 » by BobbyLight » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:51 pm

I understand why people would suggest the older consoles because the libraries on the current gen, sucks. I think your point on wanting something for now AND the future is valid and why you probably should get a current gen console. Also, the fact that sports games are your favorite genre also would support getting a newer console as that's where those games are best.

If you wanted to game 5 days a week and wanted the best games out now, then PS3/360 is the way to go. If you want to play the current sports games with a few others sprinkled in and only game here and there, you'll be fine with the current gen and better games do appear to be coming, especially in 2015.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:55 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I really appreciate the feedback. To those who are suggesting a last gen console - Does it make sense to drop $200 on a last gen console when it's relevancy as a game system is going to wane over the next 2-3 years? I'd like to think that the idea of a next gen console is as an investment. Sure, the games might not be out in full force right now, but in a year, it might be a whole different landscape, no?

ETA: Dell has this special right now that looks intriguing, which is why I thought about a next-gen: PS4 Bundle w/ MLB '14 The Show & 3-Month PS Plus Subscription and $100 PROMO eGift Card for $450.

I'd look at it this way. For less than $300 you could get a used (or maybe new somewhere?) 360 (or PS3; I own both and I like the 360 more, but they're essentially the same by now) and probably a dozen of the best games ever made.

Top of my head:
Borderlands 2
Assassin's Creed 2
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Arkham Asylum
Bioshock
The Show and NBA 2K series
Mass Effect
Fallout 3
Grand Theft Auto 5
Red Dead Redemption
Portal 2
Shadow Complex

and I'm probably missing another 20 that people consider must-plays. Any one of those is better than anything you're likely to see on a next-gen system until mid-2015.

In two or three years it should hopefully be worth upgrading, but it isn't now or any time soon.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#15 » by Sauce Boss » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:12 pm

How frequently are you playing games? It sounded really casual, like just a sports game here and there.

If that is the case, get a PS4. Sports games are iterative and you'll want the console that they are going to be iterated on for the foreseeable future, not an older system that will tail off in the next year or so.

Why a PS4? Well, as far as sports go, it has the edge because it has MLB The Show and Xbox One doesn't. Therefore it has the edge in available sports games. It's a pretty cut and dry answer, but if that is what you are using it for that is the sensible route.

If you want to play hundreds of hours in the top FPS and RPG games and what have you, we can then have a deeper conversation on what you should be getting.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#16 » by glenn » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:22 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:I'm sure by the holiday season you can get nice deals on Call of Duty 2k15 and NBA 2k with all new microtransactions.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to NBA 2k now. It may not affect those who just play online as much, but I treated the My Player mode like it was Skyrim. The micro-transactions ruined it for me, though. It used to be that you could do a drill and increase a related stat. Now it’s all tied to points, regardless of the drill and how much the stat in question costs. Oh, and it autosaves after every action since the points are tied to their micro-transaction system. “Oops, you simulated half of your season? Tough ****.” I may have mentioned it in a previous video game thread, but I remember when 2k put all of their new games out for 20 bucks and pissed EA off. Now they are indistinguishable from EA.
:reporter:
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:How frequently are you playing games? It sounded really casual, like just a sports game here and there.

If that is the case, get a PS4. Sports games are iterative and you'll want the console that they are going to be iterated on for the foreseeable future, not an older system that will tail off in the next year or so.

Why a PS4? Well, as far as sports go, it has the edge because it has MLB The Show and Xbox One doesn't. Therefore it has the edge in available sports games. It's a pretty cut and dry answer, but if that is what you are using it for that is the sensible route.

If you want to play hundreds of hours in the top FPS and RPG games and what have you, we can then have a deeper conversation on what you should be getting.

I don't know if I'll ever be the guy spending hundreds of hours on FPS or RPG games. Could it happen for the right game? Sure. There were games for the PS2 that I could never put down. But I also wonder whether the RPG and FPS games have gotten so much better since the PS2 that it would motivate me to get into them. The graphics on some of these do look incredible. I guess I'd enjoy the flexibility of having that choice.

Oh, and thank you for bringing up MLB The Show, that's a good example of a game that would impact my thinking.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:29 pm

glenn wrote:
Aaron It Out wrote:I'm sure by the holiday season you can get nice deals on Call of Duty 2k15 and NBA 2k with all new microtransactions.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to NBA 2k now. It may not affect those who just play online as much, but I treated the My Player mode like it was Skyrim. The micro-transactions ruined it for me, though. It used to be that you could do a drill and increase a related stat. Now it’s all tied to points, regardless of the drill and how much the stat in question costs. Oh, and it autosaves after every action since the points are tied to their micro-transaction system. “Oops, you simulated half of your season? Tough ****.” I may have mentioned it in a previous video game thread, but I remember when 2k put all of their new games out for 20 bucks and pissed EA off. Now they are indistinguishable from EA.

I had 2K14 for the Xbox One, played it for a couple months knowing it was terrible, returned it for a 360 version.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:33 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I really appreciate the feedback. To those who are suggesting a last gen console - Does it make sense to drop $200 on a last gen console when it's relevancy as a game system is going to wane over the next 2-3 years? I'd like to think that the idea of a next gen console is as an investment. Sure, the games might not be out in full force right now, but in a year, it might be a whole different landscape, no?

I'd look at it this way. For less than $300 you could get a used (or maybe new somewhere?) 360 (or PS3; I own both and I like the 360 more, but they're essentially the same by now) and probably a dozen of the best games ever made.

Top of my head:
Borderlands 2
Assassin's Creed 2
Arkham Asylum
Bioshock
Mass Effect
Fallout 3
Grand Theft Auto 5
Red Dead Redemption
Portal 2
Shadow Complex

and I'm probably missing another 20 that people consider must-plays. Any one of those is better than anything you're likely to see on a next-gen system until mid-2015.

In two or three years it should hopefully be worth upgrading, but it isn't now or any time soon.

I get what you're saying. Right now, that is probably the better deal in terms of entertainment. But I'm just not comfortable with dropping that kind of money on something that I'll feel the need to replace in 2 years. I'd rather wait on the PS4/XB1 than pay for a PS3/360 right now.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:34 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Top of my head:
Borderlands 2
Assassin's Creed 2
Arkham Asylum
Bioshock
Mass Effect
Fallout 3
Grand Theft Auto 5
Red Dead Redemption
Portal 2
Shadow Complex

I get what you're saying. Right now, that is probably the better deal in terms of entertainment. But I'm just not comfortable with dropping that kind of money on something that I'll feel the need to replace in 2 years. I'd rather wait on the PS4/XB1 than pay for a PS3/360 right now

Totally fair.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks