ImageImage

"Passing Impact" and efficiency: Kendall Marshall and Zaza

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

breakchains
General Manager
And1: 2,708

Re: "Passing Impact" and efficiency: Kendall Marshall and Za 

Post#21 » by breakchains » Sun Aug 3, 2014 1:44 am

I like Marshall better than Wolters as our point moving forward. I think Marshall has a chance to actually become the PGOTF, but we'll see.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,903

Post#22 » by theFireBlanket » Sun Aug 3, 2014 2:06 am

breakchains wrote:I like Marshall better than Wolters as our point moving forward. I think Marshall has a chance to actually become the PGOTF, but we'll see.

If you're responding me, Marshall is the 6'4 PG in the lineup that I was referencing (possibly confusing since they're each that height). My original post with a hypothetical optimal passing unit from the current roster had Marshall as the 1 and Inglis or Wolters @ the 2.

I'll wait til seeing how each player progresses before projecting their role because they're young and have room for growth. In Kendall's case, maybe he gets out from having empty stats. Wolters could stand to improve his shooting.

Those would seem to be the determining factors in either players respective futures. I've said it before and still think it's very plausible that Nate improves his shooting, since that was one of the skills that got him drafted to begin with. It just hasn't translated from NBA length or in-game yet. It takes time for some players to make that adjustment.

I haven't watched enough of Marshall to know what's holding him back from having a better all-around game and on the court impact.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
breakchains
General Manager
And1: 2,708

Post#23 » by breakchains » Sun Aug 3, 2014 2:10 am

theFireBlanket wrote:
breakchains wrote:I like Marshall better than Wolters as our point moving forward. I think Marshall has a chance to actually become the PGOTF, but we'll see.

If you're responding me, Marshall is the 6'4 PG in the lineup that I was referencing (possibly confusing since they're each that height). My original post with a hypothetical optimal passing unit from the current roster had Marshall as the 1 and Inglis or Wolters @ the 2.

Just stating it generally. I think the Suns fan's take on Marshall is not necessarily accurate as to Marshall the player today. It might have been accurate for when Marshall was a rookie, but that year was a disaster, as evidenced by the fact that they moved him one year after taking him #12 overall and then him getting waived after the trade to Washington. I think if he's given a chance to run the show a little bit, we will like what we see, despite some of his weaknesses.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Sun Aug 3, 2014 11:02 am

I think they're both backup material - with Wolters being the better player. Marshall's 3 point shooting percentage last season was a mirage. When he joined the Lakers, he went on a tear that he's never come close to. After it was over, he had several games where he didn't make even one basket - much less a 3. That one streak was the only time in his entire career - both college and NBA - that he could shoot. He's also a terrible defender and not a very good athlete. He's a great passer. That one skill isn't enough, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,962

Post#25 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Sun Aug 3, 2014 11:50 am

Ruzious wrote:I think they're both backup material - with Wolters being the better player. Marshall's 3 point shooting percentage last season was a mirage. When he joined the Lakers, he went on a tear that he's never come close to. After it was over, he had several games where he didn't make even one basket - much less a 3. That one streak was the only time in his entire career - both college and NBA - that he could shoot. He's also a terrible defender and not a very good athlete. He's a great passer. That one skill isn't enough, imo.

if anybody disagrees with this they are simply wrong.
rioeire
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#26 » by rioeire » Sun Aug 3, 2014 8:01 pm

Giving Marshall a chance to become a decent back up in the nba is a great move . Considering our recent past if Kohl was here we will be signing a veteran . I rather see Marshall next year. If he is garbage no worries if he is a competent guard .....

Sent from my G2S using RealGM Forums mobile app
Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence, face your future without fear
Octopus Jonny
Senior
And1: 82

Post#27 » by Octopus Jonny » Tue Aug 5, 2014 1:32 am

The Lakers were an absolute total garbage dump of a mess, especially the 2nd half of the season. Marshall's minutes got jerked around by D'Antoni night to night after the All-Star break.

D'Antoni's rotations may have had a bit to do with his wavering shooting percentages during that period (he was insisting on rolling out a geriatric injured Steve Nash and also injured Jordan Farmar). He was used much differently than when he was shooting the ball and racking up solid numbers.

It seemed that when he had a set role, and consistent minutes, he had pretty consistent numbers, but then when D'Antoni's rotations got wonky he got lost in the shuffle.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#28 » by raferfenix » Tue Aug 5, 2014 1:36 am

I don't care about winning games this year nearly as much about developing our own players.

It seems like Marshall can get the ball to Parker and Giannis when they are in position to score. That's a great thing.

His awful defense and shooting matter less to me in that context -- provided he is still able to make players around him better.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks