paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,996

Arena Discussion Thread-Tear down the BC/Arena! pg 18 

Post#1 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:27 am

New SOB -

http://saveourbucks.com/what-to-build-a ... -build-it/

Besides the location discussion, what are some things you'd like to see the new arena have?

Let's keep the debate going......
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,837

Re: Arena Discussion Thread - What to Build and Where to Bui 

Post#2 » by VooDoo7 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:35 am

paulpressey25 wrote:New SOB -

http://saveourbucks.com/what-to-build-a ... -build-it/

Besides the location discussion, what are some things you'd like to see the new arena have?

Let's keep the debate going......

Good stuff, as usual.

I'd like to see a few different restaurants in the new arena. Ones that are open year round and not just during events.
The Wet Whistle
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,250

Post#3 » by The Wet Whistle » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:36 am

Have the building also serve as a deer sanctuary. So while walking around, getting concessions you also get to feed the wild deer that live inside.

I guarantee we'll draw crowds on a nightly basis

#NotDrunkRightNowButProbablyShouldBe
VooDoo7
RealGM

Post#4 » by VooDoo7 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:38 am

And this is very minor, but a black/dark ceiling like at the United Center just looks so much better than having a white ceiling/rafters like the BC has.
VooDoo7
RealGM

Post#5 » by VooDoo7 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:39 am

The Wet Whistle wrote:Have the building also serve as a deer sanctuary. So while walking around, getting concessions you also get to feed the wild deer that live inside.

I guarantee we'll draw crowds on a nightly basis

#NotDrunkRightNowButProbablyShouldBe

Or, kind of along the lines of the trout pond at the sports show, we can have a buck range where you pay $10 per arrow. Shoot a deer before the game, and it'll be all dressed out and ready to go by the time you leave.
Bucknado
Sixth Man
And1: 1,195

Post#6 » by Bucknado » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:48 am

Revolving seats like the Polaris at the Hyatt. Have one middle luxury level turn slowly throughout the game. See the action from all angles!

Retractable roof. That goes without saying.

Chain nets.

Overhead skycam like in football.

Worlds largest TV screen/scoreboard.

Arena not built for hockey.

Lights on the court and off of the crowd ala Lakers.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#7 » by Badgerlander » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:50 am

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business ... ign=buffer

Orlando approves I-Drive mall and hotel project
Orlando officials have approved plans for a massive hotel and shopping complex that, if built, would become the most prominent development on the north end of International Drive.

The project, expected to cost between $300 million and $400 million, would include a 26-story luxury hotel, a multi-level mall, a performance theater, restaurants and an ice-skating rink. City commissioners unanimously signed off on the proposal Monday afternoon.

Called the iSquare Mall + Hotel development, the project is the brainchild of Orlando developer Abdul Mathin. He envisions a flashy, Las Vegas-style complex catering to affluent travelers. He has promised to deliver a 729-room, "seven-star" hotel, a designation not generally recognized in the industry.

From its height — 360 feet — to its marketing, little about the proposal is understated.

The project's website says the development seeks to "provide a swanky, irresistible vibe that makes each guest feel like a celebrity, or billionaire inventor — whichever you prefer!"

The plan also includes 100,000 square feet of convention and meeting space and a revolving, rooftop restaurant. Earlier, the project's architect had said the restaurant would likely not rotate because that would be too expensive to engineer and build.

Mathin said he has lined up financing for the project, which would be located at the intersection of I-Drive and South Kirkman Road. The development's website says the project will open in the summer of 2017.

It would replace the International Shoppes strip mall at the southeast corner of I-Drive and Kirkman Road. Mathin's company owns the property, according to the documents submitted to the city.

The project is part of a small boom of I-Drive developments that are either under construction or in the planning stages. Those include the massive observation wheel called The Orlando Eye — part of the I-Drive 360 entertainment complex; the Artegon Marketplace; the I-Shops on I-Drive; Mango's Tropical Café & Nightclub Complex; and a planned vertical roller coaster called the Skyscraper that would reach more than 500 feet into the air.

Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#8 » by Badgerlander » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:13 pm

Spoiler:

Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#9 » by Badgerlander » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:22 pm

Spoiler:

Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,744

Post#10 » by Treebeard » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:25 pm

I like the waterfront building with the rooftop garden. Brit's Pub, a large and popular spot in Minneapolis, has lawn bowling on the rooftop in the summer.

You do need to come up with a hook to engage people. Have a large publicly accessible glass top atrium that people will make a point to go to in the dead of winter. Put some trees and humidty in there (Mitchell Park Domes lite). Get them into the building
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#11 » by Badgerlander » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:41 pm

Spoiler:

HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,691

Post#12 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:04 pm

My only concern about adding a bunch of bars and restaurants is that you are filling a void that doesn't need filling. My opinion is that it will just suck business from existing venues and not really add much. Having said that, if they add hotel(s) and residential and spiffy new offices then you might generate new traffic.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#13 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:23 pm

I like the idea of a rooftop beer garden with some rooftop farming integrated. There needs to be incorporated with organic elements of the city to capture the hearts & minds of people across different lines to get them emotionally invested in making this successful.

The renderings for the new arena in Orlando don't do much for me. Not in Milwaukee.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,213

Post#14 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Yup, the discussion has to go beyond "this will be a new arena for the Bucks". When people think that way they think of people going down there in the winter. Cold/snow/ice/wind chill. Things like rooftop beer gardens will be dismissed. This has to be a YEAR ROUND destination. It has to be thought of as an entertainment destination not a basketball destination.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,996

Post#15 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:17 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:I like the idea of a rooftop beer garden with some rooftop farming integrated. .

I don't know about rooftop farming, but I do like rooftop beer garden if you could incorporate the vista going down the river. An elevated beer garden say 30 feet in elevation would be awesome. That eliminates the concern about the Historical society building blocking a portion of the river vista.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#16 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:36 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:I like the idea of a rooftop beer garden with some rooftop farming integrated. .

I don't know about rooftop farming, but I do like rooftop beer garden if you could incorporate the vista going down the river. An elevated beer garden say 30 feet in elevation would be awesome. That eliminates the concern about the Historical society building blocking a portion of the river vista.

You definitely wouldn't want a huge operation up there, but if there's available space I think it's a good use of space to make it "green".
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#17 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Stolen from the MKE Beer thread.

WI has so many breweries and this is the kind of stuff to incorporate into the new arena to make it unique and make it Milwaukee.

The stadium needs to be great enough to stand on it's own so when there are no events there that you can use it to make an event.

Several years ago, craft beer started taking off at Cincinnati’s Great American Ballpark. From 2011-2012, sales went up by 20 percent. From 2012-2013, they were up 47 percent.

So when it came time to create a new hangout in a highly trafficked spot on the third-base concourse, the ballpark went all-in on craft-style beers. The new Reds Brewery District – an 84-foot-long bar with more than 50 taps – included more than 20 craft offerings when it opened this spring. There were local beers from Cincinnati brewers like Christian Moerlein, MadTree, Blank Slate, Fifty West, Rhinegeist, Mt. Carmel, and Rivertown. There were national options from well-regarded breweries like Founders, Bell’s, West Sixth and Great Lakes.

And the market exploded. Counting single-day offerings, the Cincinnati Reds’ selection of distinct beers went from 42 to more than 130 – the most in Major League Baseball, according to a Washington Post analysis. Craft sales increased even more dramatically, by 363 percent. The biggest-selling beer at the Brewery District is still Bud Light – not exactly a craft product – but stadium officials found that rather than taking away from existing beer sales, craft consumers were actually creating a new category.

“It’s not the same people that are drinking Bud, Bud Light, Miller Lite,” said Don Dierig, district manger for Delaware North Sportservice at Great American Ball Park. “It’s more of a younger demographic, and that’s what that younger demographic is looking for – things that aren’t necessarily what they saw their parents drinking growing up, but more what's popular in the bars and restaurants they hang out in.”

Not every stadium has embraced this diversity in its fermentables. Both the Chicago Cubs and the Tampa Bay Rays, for example, offer fewer than 25 different beers. The average Major League team this season is offering 50 different beers from nearly 25 breweries. The Orioles and the Nationals are slightly above average by several measures.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#18 » by Badgerlander » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:58 pm

http://www.bkmag.com/2014/06/02/empire- ... er-garden/
Empire Stores—the upcoming, 430,000 square foot retail hub operating out of Dumbo’s landmarked row of 19th century, waterfront warehouses—is adding a glassed-in, rooftop beer garden to their development plans.

Of course, not everyone is pleased with the idea of an ultra-modern addition to the iconic buildings, which was approved by the State Historic Preservation Office after the original design was revised, to make it lower, smaller and set back from the roof edge to minimize its visibility. In a December hearing, local resident Ethan Goldman dismissed the project as “a glassed-in party venue destined to become just another wedding mill.”

Nevertheless, Midtown Equities is moving full steam ahead on their landscape-altering behemoth, also confirming a sprawling French brasserie for the ground floor (in addition to upscale furniture retailer, West Elm, and coffee brewing bigwig, La Colombe), and are currently in talks with at least two other well-known chefs, looking to expand their reach to the borough (they’ll be neighbors with Tertulia’s Seamus Mullen, who’s fronting a farm-to-table restaurant inside of the Pierhouse, a massive condo development astride Brooklyn Bridge Park).

It’ll certainly take plenty of clout and Manhattan money to score space in the complex, which currently commands a whopping $90 per square foot for office space in the glass-faced rooftop addition, $150 a square foot on the ground floor facing the park, $125 for the ground floor retail space facing Water Street, and $65 a square foot on other floors. So no matter who moves in, expect to pay a pretty penny for your pints, croissants and coffee beans.

Spoiler:

0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#19 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Put a driving range/mini golf/small theme park on the roof for spring-fall activities.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#20 » by Badgerlander » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:19 pm

Should include a Basketball Hall of Fame or Hall or Honor, something like that. Doesn't have to be Bucks centric because then you can include some stuff about the Marquette Warriors NCAA Championship and a section for great players from Wisconsin. One section should be nothing but the Bucks Championship team. Another section for Bucks All-Stars, and another section for two of the winningest Coaches ever in Don Nelson and George Karl. Another section on Robert Indiana's MECCA floor, and another for Eddie Doucette. Have an attached banquet hall for fundraisers and benefits for when each wing/display is opened and invite the player or coach to attend the unveiling. You could put in a display about the Milwaukee Hawks, the Milwaukee Does, the Sheboygan Redskins, and the Oshkosh All-Stars.

Spoiler:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks