ImageImage

Larry Drew was Blindsided and Mystified by Firing

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Re: Larry Drew was Blindsided and Mystified by Firing 

Post#21 » by averageposter » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:26 pm

I was pretty mystified by his "offense" or his "offensive game plan", so much so that I'd often struggle to believe it existed.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,365

Post#22 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:38 pm

Simply amazing. There's also another awful probasketball.com article that basically amounts to a pity-party on how "awful" Larry Drew was treated and praises him for his professionalism.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/26/larry-drew-said-he-was-blindsided-by-milwaukee-bucks-firing/

The media just refuses to not only get over this, but continues to think that this violated the sanctity of business ethics in every way imaginable. I have absolutely no ill-will towards Larry Drew at this point.

He's just clueless, and if anything, his ineptitude was the biggest reason we were able to draft Jabari in the first place. But this entire saga of fake moral "outrage" continues to be one of the most hypocritical things in sports that I've seen the last couple years.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#23 » by crkone » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:40 pm

averageposter wrote:I was pretty mystified by his "offense" or his "offensive game plan", so much so that I'd often struggle to believe it existed.

How about his doubling the post and leaving a 3 point shooter wide open defensive philosophy.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#24 » by Aaron It Out » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:40 pm

Poor guy gets all his money and gets to go play assistant coach for LeBron.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#25 » by emunney » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:21 pm

Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM

Post#26 » by emunney » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:25 pm

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#27 » by humanrefutation » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:39 pm

I still believe that the way they went about hiring Kidd and firing Drew was ****. But Drew was an awful hire to begin with. He was probably the least inspiring hire of a head coach since George Karl. If they brought him back, I would have been really disappointed.

That being said, if the ownership transition didn't take a few months to take effect, his ass would've been out the door after Game 82.
cinematographer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,697

Post#28 » by cinematographer » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:51 pm

A terrible hire and a terrible coach.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,969

Post#29 » by drew881 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:52 pm

The Drew hate on this board is unbelievable. Would you have rather had a good coach that got us 4 more wins and drop us down in the lottery? I'm thankful that we had LD last year, and would have liked another year of him for draft purposes.
emunney
RealGM

Post#30 » by emunney » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:56 pm

EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#31 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:04 pm

drew881 wrote:The Drew hate on this board is unbelievable. Would you have rather had a good coach that got us 4 more wins and drop us down in the lottery? I'm thankful that we had LD last year, and would have liked another year of him for draft purposes.

You are confusing hate with "accurate assessment" of his job skills.

You'd rather stunt Giannis & Jabari development for a Team that is already projected Bottom 5 in the league?

That's silly.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,288

Post#32 » by GoldenAntlers » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:12 pm

emunney wrote:Image

LoL.

Drew was horrible. Anybody who feels bad about his firing is a moron, and I'm a rather empathetic dude.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,969

Post#33 » by drew881 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:13 pm

I totally disagree on the development stunting. We have assistant coaches, presumably good ones since a lot people like the ones who stayed, who are helping players develop skills like Giannis' jumpshot. That will never change. Players go through system changes all the time with new coaches and historically it isn't too difficult for players to adapt to new systems, minus the triangle. Lots of good players have had bad coaches in their early years. I agree that Kidd perhaps has some intangibles and can teach Giannis things relating to PG play, and I'm excited that he is coach for that reason. But the idea that Giannis and Jabari will forget how to play basketball under Larry Drew is silly.

You are confusing that one can accurately assess Larry Drew's job skills, which were bad, and realize that might be something this team needs to be bad for one more year.
Bucks_MacGyver
Sixth Man
And1: 339

Post#34 » by Bucks_MacGyver » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:22 pm

I can care less how it was handheld, I'm just happy he is not the coach moving forward

Sent from my SM-G900P using RealGM Forums mobile app
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#35 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:23 pm

drew881 wrote:I totally disagree on the development stunting. We have assistant coaches, presumably good ones since a lot people like the ones who stayed, who are helping players develop skills like Giannis' jumpshot. That will never change. Players go through system changes all the time with new coaches and historically it isn't too difficult for players to adapt to new systems, minus the triangle. Lots of good players have had bad coaches in their early years. I agree that Kidd perhaps has some intangibles and can teach Giannis things relating to PG play, and I'm excited that he is coach for that reason. But the idea that Giannis and Jabari will forget how to play basketball under Larry Drew is silly.

You are confusing that one can accurately assess Larry Drew's job skills, which were bad, and realize that might be something this team needs to be bad for one more year.

Nobody is saying "forget to play basketball".....that's a far cry from failing to maximize development.

Kidd did more with Giannis in one week than Drew did in a whole year with him.

That's got me sold on Kidd over Drew.

And this team is going to be bad record wise and we will get another lottery pick, Drew isn't needed for that.
yoshii8
Sixth Man
And1: 276

Post#36 » by yoshii8 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:34 pm

I'm just glad he's not our coach anymore. He was not a very good one.
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#37 » by unklchuk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:38 pm

Larry Drew as a coach is a true pro. In the sense of thinking that being a coach makes him a member of a gentleman's club. A club in which competency takes a back seat to carrying yourself like a gentleman, and in being treated like a gentleman. Pretense all around. Coaching is a career for him. Not a mission nor a passion. He'll coach for a while, accept whatever record he compiles, and then shake hands all around and say good bye. Like gentlemen do.

The situation with the new owners, Kidd and his current/past employer didn't follow the gentleman's script. Miss Manners was shocked. Various writers found it diverting to picture Larry as a mistreated hero. It doesn't fit, and I'm glad to see that almost nobody here is buying it.

(I don't favor amoral management in our team. But I favor even less blowing up a small incident (likely caused by the Nets) into a blame game. In which business does the owner not have the right to look for a new employee without first releasing the current one? Why fire someone before you have a new coach signed & sealed? And Drew being mystified boggles the mind, until I remember that he views himself as a gentleman coach.)
AFAIK, IDKM
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#38 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:44 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I still believe that the way they went about hiring Kidd and firing Drew was ****. But Drew was an awful hire to begin with. He was probably the least inspiring hire of a head coach since George Karl. If they brought him back, I would have been really disappointed.

That being said, if the ownership transition didn't take a few months to take effect, his ass would've been out the door after Game 82.

Wait.... Are you saying GK was not an inspiring hire? Or that out of all the crappy coaches since Karl, LD was the worst?
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#39 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:44 pm

Can't wait to hear Bill Michael's take on this. Wonder if he'll go the "we're a different kind of people here in the Midwest. We have certain standards."
Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Post#40 » by Captain Erv » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:48 pm

Mystified and blindsided was how I felt watching him coach.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks