ImageImage

John Henson to start at center for Bucks?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Re: John Henson to start at center for Bucks? 

Post#41 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:14 am

I wrote a diatribe awhile back about how when Henson is given minutes he produces double doubles like a machine. Sadly it was for the most part ignored.

I don't know if he has the ability to be a true difference maker, but I do know that with minutes he can establish great value for our team in a trade.
Do it for Chuck
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#42 » by El Duderino » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:54 am

The only way i see Henson playing more minutes at center than Sanders is if Larry struggles to regain his previous form on the court and/or if he does something boneheaded again off the court.

This team is going to have their share of defensive liabilities, especially if we see lineups with say Marshall and Parker on the court at the same time. When Larry has his head on right, he's the best rim protector in the league at center and a good rebounder.

If Larry can regain that form, he's going to play plenty of minutes, but with his foul prone ways and depending of what the team needs on any given night, Henson should also get his share of minutes. Bottom line to me is in a number of cases, we starts the game can end up being fairly irrelevant compared to who plays the most minutes and who is on the court most late in close games. I could easily see that fluctuating between Sanders/Henson on a near nightly basis depending on who is playing better that night, the type of team we are playing,foul trouble, etc etc.

There is also the factor of how often the two are on the court together. I don't see it happening a ton, but it sure would be interesting to see stretches of some games with Giannis, Henson, and Sanders on the court at the same time. Far from ideal offensively, but would be fun to see teams try to score in the paint against that much length.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#43 » by Wise1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:55 am

Some here have come around on Henson a bit but for the most part he was panned by this board when the Bucks drafted him. There were maybe three or four of us that actually wanted him. I still love his prospects. Some of the trade proposals jettisoning him away leave me scratching my head. Henson is a very good young big man prospect and should have more value on this board.

Ilyasova has to go. I also don't buy OJ getting himself into shape so that he can play fourth fiddle behind the Bucks younger players. Behind the scenes, I think his reps are politely asking for a trade to a contender. If I were the Bucks brass, I wouldn't trust OJ at all after what he did to himself last season anyway. I think Kidd will work with Knight because he can defend, run, and finish in transition. I don't see a role for OJ. Maybe a showcase stint as a starter or super sixth man.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#44 » by Wise1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:08 am

I don't expect Sanders and Henson to see an excess amount of time on the court together based on our projected roster. I DO expect both Sanders and Henson to have big years relative to their ability. At their core, both are defenders that can crash the offensive and defensive glass. When either is asked to produce offense on a consistent basis, they really are operating outside of their best and most effective roles.

Giannis and especially Parker will draw a LOT of attention from the defense. When Parker puts up shots against likely doubles, Sanders/Henson will have opportunities to receive passes at the rim or crash the offensive glass for putbacks.

I like the aquisition of passing wizard Kendall Marshall, but the Bucks are just one Paul or Wall-esque point guard away from solidifying their young core and starting the movement towards the playoffs. In the interim, I think Kidd envisions Giannis filling that role as he's more of an offensive threat than Marshall and company.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#45 » by El Duderino » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:23 am

Wise1 wrote:Some here have come around on Henson a bit but for the most part he was panned by this board when the Bucks drafted him. There were maybe three or four of us that actually wanted him.

You are exaggerating what was the feeling about the Henson pick at the time. I know i was very happy with the pick and so were quite a few others, it wasn't a situation where the vast majority just hated the selection. Sure, some hated the pick, some others wondered about fit, and some liked Terrence Jones better, but that kind of stuff happens a lot when picking middle of the first round.

It was his often terrible play as a rookie that made those against the pick at the time or who were lukewarm feel even worse, especially how bad he was defensively.

This is a big year for both Sanders and Henson. Both are going to have to earn their minutes and i really look forward to see how each guy does. Competition for minutes is usually a good thing. Hopefully though Kidd doesn't waste many center minutes on Zaza if both Sanders/Henson are productive.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#46 » by El Duderino » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:41 am

Wise1 wrote:
Giannis and especially Parker will draw a LOT of attention from the defense. When Parker puts up shots against likely doubles, Sanders/Henson will have opportunities to receive passes at the rim or crash the offensive glass for putbacks.

I like the aquisition of passing wizard Kendall Marshall, but the Bucks are just one Paul or Wall-esque point guard away from solidifying their young core and starting the movement towards the playoffs. In the interim, I think Kidd envisions Giannis filling that role as he's more of an offensive threat than Marshall and company.

I still question quite a bit that Giannis is ready yet to consistently score enough to draw lots of double teams and i don't see it happening consistently with Parker either in his rookie year. Odds are Jabbari won't be an efficient enough scorer in the half court as a rookie to make teams double him a lot except maybe when a certain defensive matchup is bad or he's hot on a given night.

I liked grabbing Marshall also, but playing him on the court consistently at the same time as Parker will mean having two terrible defenders. Sanders would have to really be on his game to help cover for those two, same with Giannis.

Oh well, there are quite a few guys on the roster at multiple positions where it's still up in the air as to who will end up getting more minutes than others. It will be interesting to watch how both Kidd handles the playing time and which players force Kidd to be on the court a lot. This is the most i look forward to a Bucks season in a long time.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#47 » by Wise1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:36 am

El Duderino wrote:
Wise1 wrote:Some here have come around on Henson a bit but for the most part he was panned by this board when the Bucks drafted him. There were maybe three or four of us that actually wanted him.

You are exaggerating what was the feeling about the Henson pick at the time. I know i was very happy with the pick and so were quite a few others, it wasn't a situation where the vast majority just hated the selection. Sure, some hated the pick, some others wondered about fit, and some liked Terrence Jones better, but that kind of stuff happens a lot when picking middle of the first round.

Not exagerrating at all. I said that there were three or four of us that actually "wanted" to draft Henson with the 14th pick as a number one option. You yourself said that you were "okay" with the pick...but obviously he wasn't your first choice. Had the Bucks drafted Andrew Wiggins with pick 2 this year, I would have been "okay" with the pick...but would have been perfectly fine with someone saying after the fact that I panned the pick because I did make an argument against him in favor of my top choices.

...and let's be clear, there was a LOT of venom in that Henson draft thread.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#48 » by Wise1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:55 am

El Duderino wrote:
I still question quite a bit that Giannis is ready yet to consistently score enough to draw lots of double teams and i don't see it happening consistently with Parker either in his rookie year. Odds are Jabbari won't be an efficient enough scorer in the half court as a rookie to make teams double him a lot except maybe when a certain defensive matchup is bad or he's hot on a given night.

In the case of Giannis, the ability to score consistently isn't the only skill that demands a double. Giannis is an excellent ball handler and will be able to get by defenders off of the dribble which will draw additional defenders whether he elects to score the ball or dish to a teammate. Rarely is any player doubled from the time he reaches the frontcourt. If you get by your man off of the dribble, you will draw a double or have an open lane to the basket. Giannis should have no problem backing down smaller defenders or speeding by larger defenders consistently.

In the case of Parker, just know that he's already been doubled in summer league. Summer league. Players, by in large, aren't statisticians. They won't care what Jabari's shooting percentage is as much as they'll be concerned about what he can do if they don't give him the attention that a team's number one offensive option deserves. If Jabari is allowed to work one on one with no help, I'll go on record as saying he'll average 20ppg year one. He may do that under any circumstances with his ability to score and get to the free throw line.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Post#49 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:02 am

I hated the Henson pick then (namely because I really wanted Lamb) but obviously it turned out fine. That said, I still don't ever see him as a guy I want as a main piece on my team. I think he could put up some gaudy numbers with enough minutes and enough touches but I really don't see it meaning much. I really think he's one of those "guys" like Jason Thompson or JJ Hickson.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Wise1
RealGM

Post#50 » by Wise1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:21 am

I simply want him to average 10 rebounds (if playing starters minutes), block 2 shots per, and shoot close to 50% from the field as a complimentary piece. That's good enough for me. 10pts, 10rebs, 2blks.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#51 » by El Duderino » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Wise1 wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

Not exagerrating at all. I said that there were three or four of us that actually "wanted" to draft Henson with the 14th pick as a number one option. You yourself said that you were "okay" with the pick...but obviously he wasn't your first choice. Had the Bucks drafted Andrew Wiggins with pick 2 this year, I would have been "okay" with the pick...but would have been perfectly fine with someone saying after the fact that I panned the pick because I did make an argument against him in favor of my top choices.

...and let's be clear, there was a LOT of venom in that Henson draft thread.

Not true. At that 14th pick with who was left, Henson i thought was the best player left on the board with Jones a close second.

Of course some hated the pick, but when picking middle of the first round, usually plenty of people are going to have had preferred someone else.

Then again, at this point it doesn't really matter who liked him on that draft day or who didn't except for some sports forum dorks who take that kind of stuff way to seriously. I was happy with Hammond taking Henson at the time, but even if instead i had hated the pick, that was two years ago and all that matters now is that he develops as a player so it makes the Bucks better.

Same for the last draft. I preferred Embiid and Wiggins over Parker, but come a few years later, i want nothing more than to be 100 percent wrong and Parker to end up being the best player. I don't give a crap anymore that Jabbari was my third choice, i simply want him to be great so the Bucks benefit.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#52 » by El Duderino » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:39 pm

Wise1 wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

In the case of Parker, just know that he's already been doubled in summer league. Summer league. Players, by in large, aren't statisticians. They won't care what Jabari's shooting percentage is as much as they'll be concerned about what he can do if they don't give him the attention that a team's number one offensive option deserves. If Jabari is allowed to work one on one with no help, I'll go on record as saying he'll average 20ppg year one. He may do that under any circumstances with his ability to score and get to the free throw line.

We'll see. I'm sure on certain nights and against certain matchups, Parker will get doubled, but i just don't see it happening on a nightly basis as happens with proven NBA stud scorers. He'll have to really improve his jumper both in face up situations and on the block in a short time frame to demand that level of defensive attention on a nightly basis. Hopefully he does in his rookie year, but i'm skeptical.
GA34
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#53 » by GA34 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 1:28 am

supermelo wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:
supermelo wrote:John Henson and Larry Sanders's ability radar chart

You really love spamming your site don't you :lol:.

I just really wanna share something interesting for everyone love NBA... :D

When you use the 12/13 season for Larry its no contest between the two. And i think Larry is headed towards regaining that form then what he produced last year. Well one can only hope :lol:
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#54 » by Nebula1 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 9:12 pm

Henson does look great this offseason and I expect him to have a pretty big year. If it doesn't work in Milwaukee, trade him to Orlando or Miami.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks