ImageImage

ESPN Futures Ranking (Bucks 26th)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Re: ESPN Futures Ranking (Bucks 26th) 

Post#81 » by Treebeard » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:14 pm

I'm usually pretty critical of all things ESPN - I see the typical ESPN talking head being the definition of superficial.

It doesn't hurt that this article views the Bucks future as being favorable to be sure, but at least this guy(Isaac Baldizon) has put some actual homework into his review of a team from "flyover land", unlike many of his ESPN counterparts.

You can argue the Bucks haven't had two young players this good to build around since the days of Sidney Moncrief and Marques Johnson.

That's pretty high praise for a couple of basically unproven guys.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#82 » by LUKE23 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Nice read. Like I've said many times, not many under 25 duos I'd trade Giannis/Parker for. If Sanders bounces back to augment those two, it starts to look really good.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#83 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:18 pm

Swoon.

That was incredibly enjoyable to read.

I don't know if you're real "Bradford Doolittle", but I pray that you write more Bucks stories.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#84 » by drew881 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:53 pm

DocHoliday wrote:Bucks snubbed in power ranks
Youth movement has Milwaukee well-positioned to outperform No. 24 ranking
Earlier this week, we published the latest version of the NBA Future Power Rankings, ESPN Insider's projection of on-court success for each team over the next three seasons. In large part, I agree with the projections and rankings. However, in identifying a team that I thought was "snubbed" and should have been rated higher, the answer for me was an easy one: the Milwaukee Bucks, ranked 24th.

Not only do I believe things will turn around in Milwaukee, but I think it'll happen much sooner than our esteemed rankings panel seems to believe. Here's a look at why the Bucks are poised to rise above their rank.

Moving on from mediocrity

The Bucks' developing roster is by far my biggest reason for optimism for the franchise. For too many years, even decades, the Bucks have unsuccessfully straddled the fence between rebuilding and moving into true contention. The end result has been an endless string of non-descript teams and players. The last really successful Bucks team was the 2000-01 version coached by George Karl, which won 52 games and reached the Eastern Conference finals, albeit in a circuit that lacked elite teams. That team was led by fifth-year guard Ray Allen, a draft night acquisition in 1996 after being selected fifth by Minnesota. Allen was joined by Glenn Robinson, taken first overall by the Bucks in 1994, and Sam Cassell, acquired in a dizzying 10-player trade in 1999. The trio gave the Bucks their offensive foundation, and Karl filled out the rotation with shooting and defense as he's done so well through his career. It was a short-lived peak, as the Bucks slipped right back into the cycle of mediocrity that's marked the franchise since Don Nelson left in 1987. Until last year, when Milwaukee finally hit bottom.

There has long been a perception that the Bucks were not allowed to truly tear down by their former owner, Senator Herb Kohl, who feared he'd alienate a fan base that was shrinking annually anyway. The result was a lot of middling first-round picks who kept Milwaukee from drafting the star player it needed but would never be able to sign in free agency. It's not an entirely accurate assessment. Milwaukee drafted first overall in 2005 and landed Utah center Andrew Bogut. At the time, Bogut wasn't a universally revered top pick, but he was a plausible choice, and he was emerging as an All-Star player before being injured and eventually shipped to Golden State. Some thought the Bucks should have taken Marvin Williams. With a decade of hindsight, we know they should have taken Chris Paul or Deron Williams. The Bucks also missed in 2007 at No. 6, when they took Yi Jianlian with Joakim Noah on the board, and in 2008, when at No. 8 they took Joe Alexander instead of Brook Lopez or Roy Hibbert.

These picks are easy to critique after the fact, and other than 2005, they weren't going to be franchise-makers anyway. The Bucks have actually drafted well given their usual double-digit draft slot, recently getting Brandon Jennings at No. 10, Larry Sanders at No. 15 and John Henson at No. 14. However, the Bucks may have finally hit the jackpot in 2013 when they landed Giannis Antetokounmpo at No. 15. Antetokounmpo wasn't expected to see much court time as a supremely talented and supremely raw rookie, but he got 1,897 minutes and mostly held his own, while flashing brilliant teases of the player he may become. This summer, he's looked like a good candidate to become this season's most improved player. By his third year, if the progress continues, Antetokounmpo could emerge as the foundation player the Bucks have lacked since Allen was in his prime.

Youth movement

Antetokounmpo's arrival coincided with the first real rock-bottom season Milwaukee has had in 20 years. The Bucks' 67 losses established a franchise nadir, worsting the 1993-94 squad that put them into position to draft Robinson. That was a missed pick as well, of course. With the 20-20 vision of retrospect, we now know Milwaukee should have taken Jason Kidd in 1994. Well, he's there now and he'll be coaching Antetokounmpo and Jabari Parker, the No. 2 pick of June's loaded draft. If Antetokounmpo doesn't emerge as a true, No. 1 type of superstar, Parker may well fit the bill. He's skilled, talented and should eventually develop into a top-10 scorer. Even better, he actually wants to be in Milwaukee and is a perfect complement to the length and defensive potential of Antetokounmpo and Sanders. And while the future rankings are only considering the next three seasons, when you realize that most franchise players declare themselves as such by their third or fourth season, the latter part of that range might well coincide with Milwaukee's climb up the ladder.

You can argue the Bucks haven't had two young players this good to build around since the days of Sidney Moncrief and Marques Johnson. Assuming Kidd adopts an up-tempo, high-pressure-defense style of play, Milwaukee should become one of the more fun teams to watch as soon as this season. They won't be good, but that's fine since Antetokounmpo, Parker, Sanders, Henson and Brandon Knight will be joined by another high lottery pick next year. A point guard with size and combo guard skills would be a great choice to pair with Knight and fill out the lineup and, lo and behold, there is just such a player available in Emmanuel Mudiay.

Front-office outlook, market momentum

I feel good about Milwaukee's management team of John Hammond and David Morway now that the new ownership group is in place, and it seems to have a good grasp of what a rebuilding process entails. This of course assumes that Kidd keeps his focus on the sideline, and not on the inner workings of the front office. The Bucks have all their own first-round picks, some extra second-rounders and a possible extra future first-rounder by virtue of this summer's Jared Dudley trade. There are some less-than-enthralling veteran deals on the books as a residual from the Kohl era, but those are finished after next season, and there is plenty of flexibility to come under the rising salary cap.

Milwaukee was ranked as the worst market by our panel, but I'm not buying it. There are smaller markets in the league, and there are definitely worse cities. Just in terms of urban design, walkability and public transportation -- and both the BMO Bradley Center and the likely spot of a new arena are in downtown Milwaukee -- the city is more appealing than a number of sprawled-out southern markets. And there are few sports fans as rabid as the ones in Wisconsin, and few whose leisure time is as dominated by rooting for their teams. That fan base has ebbed for the Bucks after decades of boring teams, but just as they have for the Brewers, a good Bucks team will have a distinct home-court advantage when the time comes. The aforementioned 2000-01 team ranked 13th in attendance, right at the NBA average. And even if none of these things were true, recent history in the NBA has shown us that a team's market is but a small factor in determining its on-court success.

As a result, I think the Bucks' No. 24 slot in the Future Power Ranks -- which, remember, is a three-year look -- is far too low. Inserting them in at No. 12, after Toronto and in front of Phoenix, would be a better rank in my book.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/ ... -ranks-nba

Good writing here. I like the transition from missing the pick with Robinson to Kidd as current coach.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#85 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:25 pm

Looks like they're doing the future rankings today.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNInsider/status/646398647861510145[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNInsider/status/646401087533002753[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNInsider/status/646403607332388865[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNInsider/status/646406171734118400[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNInsider/status/646408652333563912[/tweet]
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#86 » by BobbyLight » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:47 pm

I read the first post of this thread, thinking I missed something and saw the Bucks ranked at 26. I was all like "wtf?" and then saw it was from 2014.

That said, what's weird to me is that the top ten looks like it's going to be the teams that are great as of now, like they are assuming great teams just continue to be great. I know some do, but surely 4 or 5 times they have ranked in the top ten will not even be playoff teams in three years. Look at the Blazers after ONE year of roster turnover.

These kind of rankings are all fun and games and all, I'm not going to lose sleep over them. But I'd have the Bucks, Pelicans and Wolves in the top ten, personally.

Like, how are the Bulls in the top ten? Gasol will be done in three years, Noah won't be super effective, Derrick Rose is a shell of his former self and it's not like I can point to any of their young players and see a future superstar. Jimmy Butler is very good, maybe he is that superstar, but how many GM's would take the Bulls roster over the Bucks, Pelicans or Wolves? I'd bet zero.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:39 pm

BobbyLight wrote:I read the first post of this thread, thinking I missed something and saw the Bucks ranked at 26. I was all like "wtf?" and then saw it was from 2014.

That said, what's weird to me is that the top ten looks like it's going to be the teams that are great as of now, like they are assuming great teams just continue to be great. I know some do, but surely 4 or 5 times they have ranked in the top ten will not even be playoff teams in three years. Look at the Blazers after ONE year of roster turnover.

These kind of rankings are all fun and games and all, I'm not going to lose sleep over them. But I'd have the Bucks, Pelicans and Wolves in the top ten, personally.

Like, how are the Bulls in the top ten? Gasol will be done in three years, Noah won't be super effective, Derrick Rose is a shell of his former self and it's not like I can point to any of their young players and see a future superstar. Jimmy Butler is very good, maybe he is that superstar, but how many GM's would take the Bulls roster over the Bucks, Pelicans or Wolves? I'd bet zero.

I was thinking the same, particularly with regards to Miami and Chicago. Even with Boston they're placing some serious faith in their ability to land a multiple All-Star level talents.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,824

Post#88 » by tydett » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:44 pm

I think the major thing is, while we would just about all agree with you, the Bucks players still need to take that next step - we can all lavish praise on Giannis and refuse to trade him for Anthony Davis all we want, but at the end of the day, the guys still need to show they are worthy of being superstars. Jimmy B has pretty much taken that step, and since you need superstars to win championships, he puts the Bulls one step closer. At the end of the day, these rankings are meaningless, since if the Thunder lose Durant and Westbrook, they easily are in the 25-30 rankings.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#89 » by buckboy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Boston?

Hahah......no.

And the Bulls in the top 5? :lol:
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#90 » by emunney » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:21 pm

1 is the Ws and 3 is the Cavs, which means 2, 4, 5 is some arrangement of Chicago, Houston, and SA.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MadBlueEdwards
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#91 » by MadBlueEdwards » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:23 pm

buckboy wrote:Boston?

Hahah......no.

Yeah, I hate Boston's roster, but that's not what's helping them out in these rankings anyway. They have money to spend, a big market city, a giant pile of draft picks, and what looks to be a solid young coach. I bet their team will look a lot different in two years.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#92 » by emunney » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:35 pm

We should be higher and will be next year. If they did a future future rankings rankings, we'd show much better.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:59 pm

emunney wrote:1 is the Ws and 3 is the Cavs, which means 2, 4, 5 is some arrangement of Chicago, Houston, and SA.

Dubs
SA
CLE
HOU
CHICAGO

Also, this is what Ford had to say about Milwaukee

Milwaukee moved up a whopping 13 spots in Future Power Rankings. The Bucks' massive improvement in their roster score is the driving force thanks to a collection of young talent: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Jabari Parker, Khris Middleton, Michael Carter-Williams and Greg Monroe.

While there is buzz about the Bucks, concerns remain. Even with Monroe choosing to move from Detroit to Milwaukee, this is the 27th-ranked market.

Perhaps even more important is the uncertain state of the front office. While Jason Kidd's coaching has become a cause for optimism, reports both before and after his 2014 arrival have said that Kidd also wants to run the personnel side. The team has denied that Kidd would be granted that authority and recently extended John Hammond's contract as GM for one year. Still, the widespread belief is that Hammond, a holdover from the previous ownership group, is gradually ceding control to Kidd.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#94 » by buckboy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:18 pm

MadBlueEdwards wrote:
buckboy wrote:Boston?

Hahah......no.

Yeah, I hate Boston's roster, but that's not what's helping them out in these rankings anyway. They have money to spend, a big market city, a giant pile of draft picks, and what looks to be a solid young coach. I bet their team will look a lot different in two years.

I understand the thinking. I just completely disagree with it. Wake me up when they actually have a potential star player on their roster. Right now they have a lot of decent players and a lot of maybe good draft picks. Which equals jack squat IMO.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#95 » by Aaron It Out » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:21 pm

Damn this title needs to be updated, a serious WTF moment at first.

As far as the Bucks are concerned, it looks like Ford really didn't have a clue what he was talking about. His first big knock against Milwaukee is that we are a small-market. Give me a break. We have billionaire owners and the last 2 finals included San Antonio, Golden State, and Cleveland. Then goes on about how Kidd is taking over personnel, despite an extension to Hammond and a pretty display of two guys who like to work together (Kidd and Hammond). Nobody should be complaining about the coach working closely with the GM to assemble the roster, especially when the coach is Jason Kidd. Anyone who doesn't get how awesome that is just likes to hear themselves complain IMO.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
drew881
RealGM

Post#96 » by drew881 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:33 pm

The Wizards boner I don't quite get. I get the ESPN Boston boner.
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#97 » by Prince12 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:06 pm

Boston and chicago rankings are based purely on the expectation they will draw players to the big market. As Ford basically admitted, the reason we arent higher is due to the fact we are milwaukee. Which will clearly not be an issue if we keep winning.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#98 » by Prince12 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:07 pm

drew881 wrote:The Wizards boner I don't quite get. I get the ESPN Boston boner.

Assuming they get Durant? im not sure but the thunder are still top ten so who knows.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
drew881
RealGM

Post#99 » by drew881 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Prince12 wrote:
drew881 wrote:The Wizards boner I don't quite get. I get the ESPN Boston boner.

Assuming they get Durant? im not sure but the thunder are still top ten so who knows.

Hadn't thought of that, but makes sense. Didn't bother reading any of it either in case it was in there.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#100 » by BobbyLight » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:10 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:His first big knock against Milwaukee is that we are a small-market. Give me a break. We have billionaire owners and the last 2 finals included San Antonio, Golden State, and Cleveland.

I feel like, at some point, this is going to be considered lazy not only by fans, but by major media. It's just tired. You mention the last few finals participants. We also have...

Jason Kidd... chose to come here.
Greg Monroe... chose to come here (over LA and NY which had the same deal on the table)
Gus Johnson, a well known announcer... chose to come here
Marques Johnson... chose to leave a nice job in LA to come here

The NBA has done a great job at allowing small markets to compete, imo. The city matters so little to the best of players. If they want to win, they go to where they can do that.

Please, no more of this "well, the market size is small so they will not be any good, in perpetuity." It just makes writers look dumb.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks