OT: I-Phone 6/All Cell Phones

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReddRum
Veteran
And1: 465
Location: Waiting for a superstar to awaken the city of Milwaukee

OT: I-Phone 6/All Cell Phones 

Post#1 » by ReddRum » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:18 pm

Anybody Getting the new I-Phone 6? I decided to get the I-Phone 6 Plus - White and Silver 64GB for $399 with new contract. It's available for pre-order online early Friday morning / tonight at 2:00 am.

Here is my question for you guys that have been through this before trying to get one pre-ordered online - please list good/bad experiences. I have to decide whether to pre-order it directly though Apple or through my carrier Verizon?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Big baby ass Derozan tosses the ball in the stands and gets and gets his sorry a-- tossed. Cross him off our list of players to target.

Ejected with only two games left in your season.What immature nut...Grow up and just play.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Re: OT: I-Phone 6 

Post#2 » by chuckleslove » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:20 pm

I loathe Apple as a company and their products, but I do own an ipad3 and when I got it I pre ordered from Apple to pickup at a store since I was only getting the wifi version.

On the launch day I went to the Apple store which had a line of about 200 or 300 people(Madison Apple store) long. Since I pre ordered I got in a line of about 5 people and was in and out in about 10 minutes while everyone else sat in line.

That is my only experience with them that was a positive.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#3 » by step3profit » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:25 pm

I've always just waited a couple weeks instead of pre-ordering to avoid the hassle. I like the new stuff but I don't need it on launch day. It can be a zoo.

That said, IMO, from what I have seen, I would never pre-order from a vendor instead of using Apple directly, provided you live near enough to an apple store. The Apple store employees are just more friendly and easy to work with, and know the process/product better because they're trained to handle the rush better.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#4 » by crkone » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:28 pm

I've preordered through US Cell back in the day and don't think I had too many issues when they got the S3. That was a few years ago and I'm now on Tmobs with a N5 but I don't think you'll have issues with either.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
StillABucksFan
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#5 » by StillABucksFan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:34 pm

I have always used apple products, but I was pretty disappointed at this years unveiling. The iPhone 6 and watch just seem like Samsung's technology from last year in a prettier package.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,330

Post#6 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:41 pm

I haven't had an Apple product since the original iPod so I'm no fanboi but this looks nice and I'll be getting one. Not sure what size yet. I have US Cellular so the only way to preorder is through their site, you can't do it through Apple. Same thing if you wait until next Friday to get one in person, only at a US Cellular store, not Apple Store.

I have the Galaxy S3, I didn't see the need to get the S4 or S5, not a big enough improvement IMO.

I've always liked iphones but when it first came out as a 3.5 inch I already had a 4" phone and didn't want to downsize. Then when they went to 4" I already had 4.7".

I'm leaning towards the plus
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#7 » by HurricaneKid » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Someone explain to me why you would pay $400 to join into a 2 year contract at 2-3X a month-to-month plan.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
DPGBucks
Junior
And1: 12

Post#8 » by DPGBucks » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm also still on Galaxy S3. I'm thinking over which I want to go with between the 6 Plus and the Note 4. Anyway, if I do chose the Apple phone, does Best Buy allow you to pre order online or do I have to go there and wait in line?

I bought the guaranteed buy back for my S3 at Best Buy last time, so I feel like I need to go through them again.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#9 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:48 pm

step3profit wrote:I've always just waited a couple weeks instead of pre-ordering to avoid the hassle. I like the new stuff but I don't need it on launch day. It can be a zoo.

That said, IMO, from what I have seen, I would never pre-order from a vendor instead of using Apple directly, provided you live near enough to an apple store. The Apple store employees are just more friendly and easy to work with, and know the process/product better because they're trained to handle the rush better.

Agree with this. My son has an iphone and ipad, buying from the Apple Store was a great experience and whenever he's had to go back for some reason it's been great too. I wish I could buy directly but it's not an option unless you have one of the big four carriers.

If I can't pre-order tonight I'll just wait a couple of weeks too, no way I stand a line at U.S. Cellular.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#10 » by HurricaneKid » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:49 pm

You guys are killing me. Have to go to Best Buy?? No. No you don't.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,025

Post#11 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:49 pm

I think the 6plus will be a category killer. There are a ton of people who want Apple IOS but want a big screen and better camera.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:51 pm

DPGBucks wrote:I'm also still on Galaxy S3. I'm thinking over which I want to go with between the 6 Plus and the Note 4. Anyway, if I do chose the Apple phone, does Best Buy allow you to pre order online or do I have to go there and wait in line?

I bought the guaranteed buy back for my S3 at Best Buy last time, so I feel like I need to go through them again.

BB website doesn't say anything about preorder (Apple site along with ATT, Verizon, TMobile, Spring and US Celluar Websites DO say you can preorder).
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:52 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I think the 6plus will be a category killer. There are a ton of people who want Apple IOS but want a big screen and better camera.

Yes. And Apple realizes adding more Megapixels doesn't automatically make for a better camera. They improved theirs in other ways.

I know many current iPhone users that like the current size because they can use one hand for most things. I v believe the new ones will have some kind of one hand mode, I didn't pay attention to how it works.
ReddRum
Veteran

Post#14 » by ReddRum » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:02 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I haven't had an Apple product since the original iPod so I'm no fanboi but this looks nice and I'll be getting one. Not sure what size yet. I have US Cellular so the only way to preorder is through their site, you can't do it through Apple. Same thing if you wait until next Friday to get one in person, only at a US Cellular store, not Apple Store.

I have the Galaxy S3, I didn't see the need to get the S4 or S5, not a big enough improvement IMO.

I've always liked iphones but when it first came out as a 3.5 inch I already had a 4" phone and didn't want to downsize. Then when they went to 4" I already had 4.7".

I'm leaning towards the plus

Yeah I was slightly torn too but the Plus has better camera features, higher resolution screen and 1080P, better battery life, and works with more apps in horizontal view. Just seems like an all around better phone and worth the extra $100.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Big baby ass Derozan tosses the ball in the stands and gets and gets his sorry a-- tossed. Cross him off our list of players to target.

Ejected with only two games left in your season.What immature nut...Grow up and just play.
ReddRum
Veteran

Post#15 » by ReddRum » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:04 pm

I was also slightly disappointed there weren't any ground breaking new features unveiled with the I-Phone 6 BUT I mean what else can they even put on a phone anymore? I like the upgrades alot and the new virtual wallet system really intrigues me as well..

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#16 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:06 pm

Again, not an Apple Fanboi at all, haven't had an Apple product in many years but as someone who works in the financial industry, Apple Payments is going to be huge.

Apple rarely innovates. They take existing ideas and make them work better (not always).
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,002

Post#17 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:08 pm

I generally don't use my iPhone 5S up its full potential. Texting, web browsing, listening to music/radio, navigation and checking sports scores. All stuff you could do with an iPhone 3G. But I still like it.

But I'll be getting an Apple Watch the week it comes out. I thought the entire concept was stupid as hell, but I'm 100% on board. It looks **** amazing.
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#18 » by step3profit » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:21 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I generally don't use my iPhone 5S up its full potential. Texting, web browsing, listening to music/radio, navigation and checking sports scores. All stuff you could do with an iPhone 3G. But I still like it.

But I'll be getting an Apple Watch the week it comes out. I thought the entire concept was stupid as hell, but I'm 100% on board. It looks **** amazing.

I'm not really into the watch although it has some cool features. When it doesn't require a phone in a couple generations, everyone will be wearing something like this. If it performs, I expect this to sell like hotcakes.

Even though I won't get one (first generation, anyway), I don't get why so many people are calling them ugly. I think they look fantastic. What are people expecting exactly from a computer strapped to your wrist? People saying the Moto 360 looks better are snorting vast quantities of cocaine.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#19 » by humanrefutation » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:37 pm

I'm holding back on getting wearables for a least another generation or so. The Apple Watch looks really cool, but I also think that they'll take a while to really develop into something I feel is a necessary purchase - working out the bugs, better integration with other technology, more features, etc.

As for the phone - I've got the Samsung Galaxy S4. I've enjoyed it mostly. However, the last couple software updates have really effected the phone in a miserable way - becoming unresponsive, the screen refusing to light up after being on standby, etc. I have to reset the phone every time I update my apps or pull it off the charger in order for it to work. I had similar issues with my Motorola as well. I'm really invested in the Android market, and I generally find that google's suite of apps and products are just excellent. But these issues are starting to make me wonder whether I should explore switching to an iPhone. I will never spend $400 on a new phone, though.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#20 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:41 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I'm holding back on getting wearables for a least another generation or so. The Apple Watch looks really cool, but I also think that they'll take a while to really develop into something I feel is a necessary purchase - working out the bugs, better integration with other technology, more features, etc.

As for the phone - I've got the Samsung Galaxy S4. I've enjoyed it mostly. However, the last couple software updates have really effected the phone in a miserable way - becoming unresponsive, the screen refusing to light up after being on standby, etc. I have to reset the phone every time I update my apps or pull it off the charger in order for it to work. I had similar issues with my Motorola as well. I'm really invested in the Android market, and I generally find that google's suite of apps and products are just excellent. But these issues are starting to make me wonder whether I should explore switching to an iPhone. I will never spend $400 on a new phone, though.

+1 to everything, except I had an iPhone 4 before getting the S4. I'm thinking about switching back to the iPhone in April despite the fact I don't like Apple products and like the freedom/flexibility of Android. I'll have to do my research over the next 6+ months. I'm also going to hold off on wearables for a generation or two. If there was a wearable that fully incorporated my NIKE+ GPS, I'd probably buy it. I want wearables to incorporate that sort of stuff before I buy in. Otherwise it's just an expensive watch that needs to be charged.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks