ImageImage

OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 - ESPN/Fox/Warner Launching Combined Sports Streamer

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#61 » by SpursNBucks » Thu Nov 6, 2014 2:20 am

Thought about cutting the cord, but cant do without live sports = even though I live in San Antonio, TX I get most of the Packer and UW games. This weekend I get the Packer game - NBC night, UW ESPNU, and the Hopkins fight on HBO (the 1 premium I get).

Advise - a lot of you probably know you can argue your bill down if your with Time Warner (imagine others same). Just say you are thinking of canceling your services. You used to go to their "retention" department. They now have a "customer solutions" department. From there it's kind of hit and miss on who you get - if you get someone you can't understand (Indian) or just someone difficult hang up and try again. I got a guy recently who was pretty intelligent and really worked with me -I'm paying $67 for DVR box, all the channels, and one premium (HBO, Showtime, or Starz - are the choices). When you find someone you like -you can request to deal with just them in the future- they will give you their name and employee ID. They will take that as a complement and really work for you.

Good luck.
Shoot it FatBoy
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#62 » by Shoot it FatBoy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Has anyone had any experience with Fox Sports Go? Is this a viable option?
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#63 » by Max Green » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:12 pm

Shoot it FatBoy wrote:Has anyone had any experience with Fox Sports Go? Is this a viable option?

I downloaded the app on my phone and watched a couple of minutes of one of the Bucks game on it. The picture quality was great.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
Shoot it FatBoy
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#64 » by Shoot it FatBoy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Max Green wrote:
Shoot it FatBoy wrote:Has anyone had any experience with Fox Sports Go? Is this a viable option?

I downloaded the app on my phone and watched a couple of minutes of one of the Bucks game on it. The picture quality was great.

Good to know! Thanks.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#65 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Dec 9, 2014 10:54 pm

HBO to launch stand alone streaming service in April, to coincide with GoT. **** yeah!
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#66 » by Badgerlander » Mon Jan 5, 2015 5:09 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/verge/status/552147370410905601[/tweet]
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#67 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jan 5, 2015 5:19 pm

DocHoliday wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/verge/status/552147370410905601[/tweet]

But what is Sling TV? For $20 a month — yes, twenty dollars — you get access to a lineup of cable networks that includes TNT, TBS, CNN, Food Network, HGTV, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, the Disney Channel, ESPN, and ESPN2. ESPN is obviously a huge get for Dish and could earn Sling TV plenty of customers all on its own. ESPN just ended another year as TV's leading cable network, and now you won't need a traditional cable package to watch it. For sports fanatics, that could prove enticing. But Dish has hinted that there may be limits on watching ESPN on mobile thanks to red tape from existing deals between the network and Verizon. We'll need to wait for the specifics on that.

Really interesting. Probably won't keep me from cord cutting once the NFL playoffs are over, but that's a nice package of channels if you simply want the option of watching something.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#68 » by Badgerlander » Mon Jan 5, 2015 5:41 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/verge/status/552147370410905601[/tweet]

But what is Sling TV? For $20 a month — yes, twenty dollars — you get access to a lineup of cable networks that includes TNT, TBS, CNN, Food Network, HGTV, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, the Disney Channel, ESPN, and ESPN2. ESPN is obviously a huge get for Dish and could earn Sling TV plenty of customers all on its own. ESPN just ended another year as TV's leading cable network, and now you won't need a traditional cable package to watch it. For sports fanatics, that could prove enticing. But Dish has hinted that there may be limits on watching ESPN on mobile thanks to red tape from existing deals between the network and Verizon. We'll need to wait for the specifics on that.

Really interesting. Probably won't keep me from cord cutting once the NFL playoffs are over, but that's a nice package of channels if you simply want the option of watching something.

It's a move in the right direction, this and HBO Go.

Spoiler:

worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,823

Post#69 » by worthlessBucks » Mon Jan 5, 2015 5:46 pm

Very smart business decision on their end. I hope it's successful since they showed enough intelligence to adapt to changing trends. A lot of companies do not.
Go Bucks!
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,826

Post#70 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Jan 5, 2015 5:53 pm

I assume this is separate and not compatible with Amazon Fire? If you don't mind leaching tv accounts from your parents, Amazon fire is great for League Pass, Watch ESPN and Amazon Prime.
DickCunningham
Rookie
And1: 238

Post#71 » by DickCunningham » Mon Jan 5, 2015 6:01 pm

I like that a lot. That cord is getting more and more frayed. Won't be long now until there are more options.
"Our goal is to become a championship team," Kidd said.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#72 » by Badgerlander » Mon Jan 5, 2015 9:21 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/verge/status/552211621662437380[/tweet]

Spoiler:

PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#73 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Jan 6, 2015 3:36 pm

So it sounds like you'll be able to watch Sling TV on the Roku. That's huge for me. I wasn't sure if they were going to make you watch on your laptop/tablet (and use an HDMI etc. to connect to your TV). Having it go through Roku is so much more convenient. I am really leaning toward getting it. I also like how I'd be supporting an out of the box idea that encourages cord cutting and a major step toward a-la-carte programming.
A Diddy2231
Analyst
And1: 106

Post#74 » by A Diddy2231 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 9:52 pm

Received an email to get a free 7 day trial of Sling. Setup trial and 5 minutes later I cancelled the service. The stream would cut in and out of HD quality and the frame rates were all messed up on my PC. Now it could have been mine computer, but I watch tons of other streaming shows/games/movies on other platforms and have no issues at all. I'm running windows 7 with all stock video software and 30mbps connection
Johnny wrote:You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Chip-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#75 » by Badgerlander » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:06 pm

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/18/82377 ... ing-launch

Sony's PlayStation Vue streaming TV service launches today in New York City, Chicago, and Philadelphia
$50 a month might let you really cut the cord this time

Sony’s attempt to compete with cable TV starts today: the long-awaited PlayStation Vue TV streaming service is now available for PS3 and PS4 owners in New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago. Much like Dish’s new Sling TV service, Vue lets you pay a monthly fee to get live access to a variety of broadcast network channels as well as networks that are typically only available from cable providers.

Probably the two most important factors for any service like Vue are price and channel lineup, and the network lineup Sony has on board is impressive. Sony has deals set up with CBS, Fox, NBC, Discovery, Scripps, Turner, Viacom, and AMC — that adds up to more than 85 total distinct channels. Of course, that won’t come cheap. The entry package costs $49.99 per month and covers about 50 different channels.

For most Vue users, that $50 package should be sufficient, as it covers a whole host of some of the most popular channels you’ll get in any cable package. It includes local broadcast channels from NBC, Fox, and CBS as well as cable networks like TNT, TBS, USA, MTV, Animal Planet, BET, FX, Comedy Central, AMC (starting next month), and many more. It’s an impressive lineup — when I thought about how I use cable TV currently, I realized that the entry level Vue package would cover a huge chunk of the shows I like to keep up with.

Unfortunately, there’s one huge hole in Sony’s lineup — ABC. That means no ESPN, no Disney, or even the local ABC affiliate so you can keep up with Modern Family. It’s a real shame, as it keeps Vue from truly being a one-stop service you can use to cut the cord for good — we’re keeping our fingers crossed that ABC and Sony will be able to come to an agreement sooner than later.

Still, there’s a lot to like in Vue’s basic channel lineup. Sony’s $59.99 step-up "Core" package is mostly aimed at sports fans — it includes national sports networks BTN and the Golf Channel as well as regional sports networks like New York’s YES and Comcast SportsNet in Chicago and Philadelphia. There’s also a $69.99 "Elite" package that mostly adds a bunch of niche channels; for most users, the standard package will probably be more than enough.

Spoiler:

PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#76 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:20 pm

I think Sling still fits my needs better than the Sony alternative, but I love that they have entered the market. More competition please! Eventually we'll get to the point where you can get channels a la carte.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#77 » by Badgerlander » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:37 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/verge/status/590553158931329024[/tweet]

I like that you can switch your channel package every 30 days, I think I'd dump espn for most of the summer

Spoiler:

PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#78 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:11 pm

Interesting. Is Verizon/Fios cable available in Wisconsin (specifically Madison)?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,743

Post#79 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:17 pm

It doesn't look like much of a money saver.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#80 » by Badgerlander » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:19 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Interesting. Is Verizon/Fios cable available in Wisconsin (specifically Madison)?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/home-services.html?intcmp=INT-VZT-FIOSOOFVWHS-LEARNMORE#tab=4

doesnt look like it

Spoiler:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks