paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

ATL:The new monster TV deal 

Post#1 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:44 am

New SOB

http://saveourbucks.com/new-tv-contract ... e-changer/

The numbers are really staggering. I still don't think we overpay Brandon Knight unless we think he's the right type of player. But role players making $8mm will be commonplace in a couple of years. And of course the stars will be at the $28 to $32mm annual range.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,567

Re: ATL:The new monster TV deal 

Post#2 » by TroyD92 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:55 am

Insane numbers, but this is pretty much what people were expecting right?
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#3 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 4:59 am

TroyD92 wrote:Insane numbers, but this is pretty much what people were expecting right?

Estimates were $1.8 billion $2.0 billion per year. Actual reportedly coming in at 2.66 billion. That works out to about another $22-$25 million per team, per year over the estimates.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#4 » by paul » Mon Oct 6, 2014 5:49 am

Really nice piece Press.

Those numbers are freaking amazing.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,823

Post#5 » by worthlessBucks » Mon Oct 6, 2014 6:13 am

Good rundown PP. When I saw the ticker headline, I just pictured Lasry and Edens grinning like idiots months before they even entered into negotiations to buy the franchise.

Since you mentioned it PP, no issue here resigning Knight (broken record). Wait until the end of the season if we must to see his improvement under Kidd, but he's young, he tries hard, he has talent, and he's not going to cripple us given the deals that are on the horizon with the new CBA. I don't think the notion should be as polarizing as it is on the board.
Go Bucks!
Tuxedo38
Sophomore
And1: 106

Post#6 » by Tuxedo38 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 6:35 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/519012015621160961[/tweet]

Woj: Kenneth Faried has reached agreement on a five-year, $60 million extension with the Denver Nuggets, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#7 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Oct 6, 2014 6:36 am

Some of the deals people thought were high this summer will look like bargains in a couple years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM Forums mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#8 » by blazza18 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 6:43 am

Yea, insane numbers. It's going to take a while to get accustomed to these larger contracts that will get handed out.

Still think Knight 3/16 though.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Enrique
Senior
And1: 30

Post#9 » by Enrique » Mon Oct 6, 2014 11:03 am

Maybe with all this extra money, Lasry/Edens won't need any corporate welfare?
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#10 » by Diggr14 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 11:05 am

Knight will want more than 3/16 and he will get it too. 3/21 is more realistic.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#11 » by Diggr14 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 11:06 am

Enrique wrote:Maybe with all this extra money, Lasry/Edens won't need any corporate welfare?

Doubtful. They will still expect the city to dole out 100-200M for the stadium. That's how billionaire roll.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#12 » by Badgerlander » Mon Oct 6, 2014 11:08 am

It'll interesting to see if the league boosts next years cap to try and bridge the gap so there isn't a huge jump in 2 years. It's also crazy that local sports media can afford to ignore a multi billion dollar industry.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Enrique
Senior
And1: 30

Post#13 » by Enrique » Mon Oct 6, 2014 11:28 am

Diggr14 wrote:
Enrique wrote:Maybe with all this extra money, Lasry/Edens won't need any corporate welfare?

Doubtful. They will still expect the city to dole out 100-200M for the stadium. That's how billionaire roll.

Oh I know, the new tv contract could be 10x the old deal and they would still want welfare. And people act like they're doing us a favor? Has anyone checked to see if they are WIC eligible too?
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#14 » by Nebula1 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 11:46 am

Solid numbers for the increasingly healthy NBA. And great for the players.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#15 » by AussieBuck » Mon Oct 6, 2014 12:34 pm

DocHoliday wrote:It'll interesting to see if the league boosts next years cap to try and bridge the gap so there isn't a huge jump in 2 years. It's also crazy that local sports media can afford to ignore a multi billion dollar industry.

I think they'll have to. I guess this means that there's no way L&E don't get a stadium deal done now. The Bucks are way too valuable now.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#16 » by Badgerlander » Mon Oct 6, 2014 12:50 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:It'll interesting to see if the league boosts next years cap to try and bridge the gap so there isn't a huge jump in 2 years. It's also crazy that local sports media can afford to ignore a multi billion dollar industry.

I think they'll have to. I guess this means that there's no way L&E don't get a stadium deal done now. The Bucks are way too valuable now.

Agreed TV revenue now on par with the mighty NFL.

Spoiler:

Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#17 » by Badgerlander » Mon Oct 6, 2014 1:06 pm

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 10m10 minutes ago
Based on new TV deal projections, max contract for 10-yr vets to increase by more than $6M per year starting in '16. 7-yr vets increase $4M+

Spoiler:

Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#18 » by Badgerlander » Mon Oct 6, 2014 1:14 pm

Spoiler:

Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#19 » by Nebula1 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 1:15 pm

I think this will be the best team Lebron's been on to date and I don't see anybody challenging them in the East.

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2014/stor ... exhibition

CLEVELAND -- About an hour before the new-look Cleveland Cavaliers took the floor for the first time this training camp against anybody other than themselves, LeBron James weaved his way through a crowded pregame locker room looking as worry-free as a monk in meditation.

There was more media on hand than normal for a preseason game. And not just because of LeBron. Cleveland's opponent on Sunday night, Maccabi Tel-Aviv, had attracted more than a dozen international journalists thousands of miles to Quicken Loans Arena.

But it all seemed like business as usual for the four-time MVP.

James had headphones on and was singing along to the song he was listening to out loud as he made his way over to his locker. There was his No. 23 Cavs jersey spread out on the floor, waiting for him to slip it on for the first time in more than four years for a game with referees and rules and whatnot. The song? "Holy Ghost" by Young Jeezy. And the lyric James uttered as he stood in front of the same corner locker that housed him for his first seven years in the league could have been written for the scene that was playing out that very moment.

"I said we came so far but yet it feel so surreal," James rapped as he bopped his head.

These Cavs, with James, Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving divvying up the touches, and Love, Tristan Thompson and Anderson Varejao divvying up the rebounds, and Dion Waiters, Mike Miller and Shawn Marion divvying up whatever's left after that are certainly for real.

Not that you needed their 107-80 throttling of Maccabi to tell you that.

But there were sequences on Sunday that provided glimpses of what this thing can look like when it's fully realized.

Like the time Irving got a steal and immediately turned it into a transition opportunity, leading to a wide-open 3-pointer for Miller on the wing because James filled the opposite lane and kept charging right toward the hoop, drawing the defense's attention.

Or the time the Cavs had an inbounds play under their own basket and Love, acting as a release valve, flared to the top of the key to receive a lob pass over the defense that he converted for the catch-and-shoot triple.

Or the time James was on the left wing and whipped a skip pass directly to Irving for an open look in the left corner, the rest of the Cavs players spacing the floor so well that he had passing lanes open to him that have been clogged for most of his career.

Or the time that didn't work out, but was just as intriguing, when Love made the extra pass to an open James on the wing, who put the ball on the floor and got all the way to the rim but kicked the ball out to Waiters for an open 3 rather than go for the layup. Waiters missed the shot, but it was a model of unselfish play.

"Early on, that's a good problem to have," Cavs coach David Blatt said when asked about the over-passing. "Later, the recognition of what the right shot is should come, and better starting with that than starting with guys not willing to share the ball at all. That's how I see it."

There are plenty of little things like that left to be ironed out. When Kobe Bryant was playing with Pau Gasol and an emerging Andrew Bynum a few years back, he said the Lakers had to figure out "who eats first," and the same goes for Cleveland. Waiters took the most shots (14) for the Cavs on Sunday, followed by Irving (13), James (11) and Thompson (10). Love took just six. They'll also have to get up to speed with Blatt's defensive expectations, something the coach has harped about all camp. They made baby steps in that department, holding Maccabi to just 26.2 percent shooting overall in the second half (including a 3-for-20 mark from 3), after allowing them to shoot 39.5 percent (and 5-for-11 from deep) in the first half.

While Blatt admitted to being nervous for the first time in years before the game, going up against the team he left in June to pursue the Cavs opportunity (James observed his coach being "kind of uptight" in the days leading up to the matchup), how the Cavaliers play with one another is far more important than how they perform against any opponent at this point.

So the fact that Love didn't get many shots, but still grabbed 11 rebounds and was one off the team high in assists with four, is significant. The fact that Thompson started, but Varejao still played with enough energy off the bench to grab 15 boards in less time than it took Thompson to haul in 13, is noteworthy.

While the Cavs know they have an abundance of talent, they are still figuring how it will go together, what type of team they'll be, how they'll win.

After the Cavaliers dominated the glass 64-36 against Maccabi, James declared: "We shouldn't lose a rebounding game [all season]."

Maybe that will be their calling card.

Then again, before the game, Love spoke about how he expects to play a lot of center this season. Maybe a small-ball lineup with Love at the 5, James at the 4, Irving and Waiters in the backcourt and either Miller or Marion at the 3 will be what they come to be known for.

This Cleveland Project, this Return of the King, it's as real as it gets. It's happening. It's now.

"We're only in our infant stage right now," Love said. "We know we're going to continue to get better. But it's going to be fun to compete every night."

It's just the possibilities of where it can go that make it feel a little surreal.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#20 » by Nowak008 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 1:22 pm

I want a new stadium as much as anybody, but seeing numbers like that, its a hard sell to ask taxpayers to chip in much.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks