ImageImage

Doug Collins at Bucks Practice: New Team President?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Re: Doug Collins at Bucks Practice: New Team President? 

Post#61 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 3:11 am

bigkurty wrote:I meant to say signing him for 4-5 mil would be for the president position as a figure head around town and for the arena. As an analyst he would be much cheaper I imagine But still very expensive. Or maybe they are trying to talk him in to working a select few of our games for the year. Most likely though I bet it's all nothing.

I think you are right. Most likely here as part of the Bucks PR blitz in getting the top commentators familiar with the team and the changes. Sell them on the massive changes with the organization.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
mcfromage
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#62 » by mcfromage » Wed Oct 8, 2014 3:13 am

No inside info on the board is a drag right now.
Down To Buck
Senior
And1: 306

Post#63 » by Down To Buck » Wed Oct 8, 2014 3:15 am

paulpressey25 wrote:This isn't Phil Jackson, but he's a fresh face everyone knows from TV and coaching.

As has been said, the average Wisconsin resident will have absolutely no idea who Doug Collins is. None. Zero. He's a well-regarded mind in basketball circles, but outside of there he has no name recognition.

Personally he wouldn't be my choice, but you could do a lot worse. As long as it isn't some crony of the new owners. I'm still not entirely convinced by them.
Check out my NBA Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/user/DownToBuck
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#64 » by trwi7 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 3:19 am

mcfromage wrote:No inside info on the board is a drag right now.

Woelfel is still working his way back from vacation.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#65 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Oct 8, 2014 3:34 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
WEFFPIM wrote:Seriously, I can't envision Doug Collins turning heads in the Milwaukee/regional political community and making people listen. I just don't think he registers with people that way here.

He'll get meetings with politicians that Steinmiller by way of example wouldn't.

He'll get TV interviews locally and be able to have talk radio people eating out of the palm of his hand as well.

This isn't Phil Jackson, but he's a fresh face everyone knows from TV and coaching.

Whether you think he's the best guy for the job or not, he'll do much better than Hammond of selling the team to the public in SE Wisconsin.

Then of course he'll sit in with Jim and Jon for a quarter on occasional broadcasts.

I'm not saying he's even being or should be considered for the position. Just noting that if he were to become team President, I'd understand why. Heck, Edens and Lasry are doing things so first class maybe they are auditioning him for color analyst. Wishful thinking I know.

No, not everyone knows who Doug Collins is. If you're talking about the team president being one of the main figures of an arena push, Doug Collins doesn't have any effect. The people who will be the forerunners of the arena development don't have any interest in what Doug Collins would have to say. They want to hear from business people. Collins would be brought on as team president solely for his basketball knowledge.

Again, if a basketball figure is hired as team president with some intention of him/her also helping the charge of a new arena, Kareem is the top dog, or Oscar or Junior. People in this city know them, not Doug Collins. I think you're overestimating the impact Doug Collins has ... pretty greatly.

Lastly, to nitpick, John Hammond's primary job has never been to sell the team. His job is the build one and hope the results sell themselves.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#66 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 3:46 am

WEFFPIM wrote:No, not everyone knows who Doug Collins is. If you're talking about the team president being one of the main figures of an arena push, Doug Collins doesn't have any effect. The people who will be the forerunners of the arena development don't have any interest in what Doug Collins would have to say. They want to hear from business people. Collins would be brought on as team president solely for his basketball knowledge.

Again, if a basketball figure is hired as team president with some intention of him/her also helping the charge of a new arena, Kareem is the top dog, or Oscar or Junior. People in this city know them, not Doug Collins. I think you're overestimating the impact Doug Collins has ... pretty greatly.

Lastly, to nitpick, John Hammond's primary job has never been to sell the team. His job is the build one and hope the results sell themselves.

1. People your age don't know Doug Collins. Us, ahem older folks know him as an accomplished coach, mainly of the Jordan Bulls and Pistons. Even older folks know him as 76'er all-star, Olympian, etc. And every NBA fan sees him on TNT, etc. for years and years. The attorneys at Foley and partners at KPMG know who he is and those people buy luxury boxes and club seats at a new arena. Collins is a smooth and well known national commodity.

2. Kareem has problems stringing together two related thoughts. He's a free spirit and loose cannon as a person, that's why he's not coaching or GM'ing anywhere. Junior isn't taking a pay cut to do this job. He wants to own a team.

Lasry and Edens don't NEED to hire Collins (this thread is all fun speculation), but he's far more accomplished and smooth than the usual small town Milwaukee thinking of "Hey, let's hire Jerry Augustine to be our spokesman...he played HERE and he's CHEAP."

3. One of the reasons the Bucks got mocked so badly on here the past five years was because Hammond couldn't sell a winter coats to Alaskan residents in addition to not being able to build a team. But if you say that wasn't Hammond's job, the team had no one else in the role. And it is arguably a needed role, unless you prefer Jim Paschke to continue to fill that void. 8-)
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#67 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Oct 8, 2014 3:58 am

paulpressey25 wrote:1. People your age don't know Doug Collins. Us, ahem older folks know him as an accomplished coach, mainly of the Jordan Bulls and Pistons. Even older folks know him as 76'er all-star, Olympian, etc. And every NBA fan sees him on TNT, etc. for years and years. The attorneys at Foley and partners at KPMG know who he is and those people buy luxury boxes and club seats at a new arena. Collins is a smooth and well known national commodity.

2. Kareem has problems stringing together two related thoughts. He's a free spirit and loose cannon as a person, that's why he's not coaching or GM'ing anywhere. Junior isn't taking a pay cut to do this job. He wants to own a team.

Lasry and Edens don't NEED to hire Collins (this thread is all fun speculation), but he's far more accomplished and smooth than the usual small town Milwaukee thinking of "Hey, let's hire Jerry Augustine to be our spokesman...he played HERE and he's CHEAP."

3. One of the reasons the Bucks got mocked so badly on here the past five years was because Hammond couldn't sell a winter coats to Alaskan residents in addition to not being able to build a team. But if you say that wasn't Hammond's job, the team had no one else in the role. And it is arguably a needed role, unless you prefer Jim Paschke to continue to fill that void. 8-)

1. Basketball fans your age know Doug Collins. I'd wager a guess Tom Barrett, Frank Gimbel, Scott Walker and others do not. I know who Doug Collins, because basketball fans my age know who he is. My roommate hates basketball, he has no idea who he is. The general public has no idea who he is. So if he's trotted out to sell the people for a new building, who will be receptive to him? Basketball fans, a.k.a. the people who are already on board with a new building.

2. And none of that about Kareem matters if he steps in front of a camera and says "Let's build a new arena for the Milwaukee Bucks." In fact, he's already done that. My 80-year-old grandfather remembers Kareem quite well. He does not know who Doug Collins is.

3. John Hammond needs to sell the team he builds to his boss and that's it. The marketing and PR departments sell the team to the fans.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#68 » by WRau1 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 4:00 am

If you don't know who Doug Collins is, chances are no one the Bucks bring in is going to make you spend money until we start winning.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#69 » by WRau1 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 4:04 am

WEFFPIM wrote:1. Basketball fans your age know Doug Collins. I'd wager a guess Tom Barrett, Frank Gimbel, Scott Walker and others do not.

Incorrect. Walker knows a good amount about basketball in the 70s & 80s.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#70 » by emunney » Wed Oct 8, 2014 4:06 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
WEFFPIM wrote:Seriously, I can't envision Doug Collins turning heads in the Milwaukee/regional political community and making people listen. I just don't think he registers with people that way here.

He'll get meetings with politicians that Steinmiller by way of example wouldn't.

He'll get TV interviews locally and be able to have talk radio people eating out of the palm of his hand as well.

This isn't Phil Jackson, but he's a fresh face everyone knows from TV and coaching.

Whether you think he's the best guy for the job or not, he'll do much better than Hammond of selling the team to the public in SE Wisconsin.

Then of course he'll sit in with Jim and Jon for a quarter on occasional broadcasts.

I'm not saying he's even being or should be considered for the position. Just noting that if he were to become team President, I'd understand why. Heck, Edens and Lasry are doing things so first class maybe they are auditioning him for color analyst. Wishful thinking I know.

Oh, I certainly get why he'd be hired. In a lot of ways, he'd be an asset. Just not in the ways that really stir my soup. (I like for my soup to be stirred.)
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#71 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Oct 8, 2014 4:08 am

WRau1 wrote:If you don't know who Doug Collins is, chances are no one the Bucks bring in is going to make you spend money until we start winning.

I just don't see how this is any sort of true.

WRau1 wrote:
WEFFPIM wrote:1. Basketball fans your age know Doug Collins. I'd wager a guess Tom Barrett, Frank Gimbel, Scott Walker and others do not.

Incorrect. Walker knows a good amount about basketball in the 70s & 80s.

Alrighty, I stand corrected there.
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#72 » by PANDEMONEUM » Wed Oct 8, 2014 4:26 am

bigkurty wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:Collins would become defacto GM then right?

No he wouldn't be if the rumor that the person getting this position was going to oversee business operations holds true.

Because of that, I think this is nothing. He has zero experience from what I can tell running anything on the operations side. He has never run the ticket office, the sales guys, managed game day ops, managed food vendors, booked half time entertainment, etc. There are so many things that you have to do in that job he has never done. There are so many other people out there vastly more qualified too. Not to say he isn't smart enough to do it but I just don't see him taking the position or the Bucks offering it to him if that will be the job responsibilities.

this is exactly what i was asking
we need someone with those experiences
we cant just have a name, or a friend of the owners
need someone who can handle those things
and
be able to handle the business relations that will be required to get a new arena, or transition, into a new arena
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,788

Post#73 » by VooDoo7 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 5:52 am

You wanna hire someone with the intentions of helping a new arena deal get done? Hire The Fonz, Henry Winkler. Half joking.
Eeavers57
Pro Prospect
And1: 439

Post#74 » by Eeavers57 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 6:09 am

So basically what I am getting from this thread is that no matter who we hire for president, there will always be someone who doesn't like him. I wish L&E could find a president we could all agree on...
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Post#75 » by RiotPunch » Wed Oct 8, 2014 6:15 am

Not a bad get, if true. Smart and respected around the league--a good guy to be a part of the inner circle. I echo the sentiments of others though, that we should be investing in analytics, but I have no doubt our owners have plans to give ourselves every possible advantage.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,823

Post#76 » by worthlessBucks » Wed Oct 8, 2014 6:22 am

The apple of Kohl's eye could be L&E's get? What a world, what a world, what a world.. <Kohl in distress>

Collins isn't as sexy a name as I was expecting, but if he's their guy, so be it. The analytics quote is troubling, but if he's just a public figurehead, no issue. Under no circumstance should Doug be allowed to bring his ridiculous dyed blonde hair look.
Go Bucks!
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Post#77 » by vegaspacker » Wed Oct 8, 2014 6:36 am

Oh my... We need a Buckpack confirmation. [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using RealGM Forums mobile app
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#78 » by blazza18 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 8:09 am

Eeavers57 wrote:So basically what I am getting from this thread is that no matter who we hire for president, there will always be someone who doesn't like him. I wish L&E could find a president we could all agree on...

People have different opinions. Who knew ?
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#79 » by eagle13 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 11:16 am

I'd prefer Bridgeman. As someone said he wants to buy a team but would be good job until next opportunity
heard Lanier had fo interest
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#80 » by Badgerlander » Wed Oct 8, 2014 11:18 am

Doesn't the Team President handle the day to day operations side of things? I don't think that mark murphy watches much film or has too much influence on ted thompson's drafts.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks