ImageImage

Giannis at the point!

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,532

Re: Giannis at the point! 

Post#21 » by raferfenix » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:46 pm

If Giannis does play PG it will be interesting to see how it reverberates throughout our lineups.

Middleton would make a lot more sense here longer term in particular even if he is more of a 3 than a 2 offensively.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#22 » by Dcebucks11 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:07 pm

should be sanders instead of zaza tho for starting line up
Pachulia
Junior
And1: 369

Post#23 » by Pachulia » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:07 pm

I really think Larry's illness and Zaza's subsequent start will help Giannis out a lot. Based on last year's chemistry between Giannis and Zaza, having Big Z out there might do a lot to help Giannis feel more comfortable with the ball. I'm expecting a lot of awesomely-goofy pick-and-rolls and backdoor cuts between the two.
Follow Zaza on Instagram: @ZazaPachulia
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#24 » by theFireBlanket » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:36 pm

Pachulia wrote:I really think Larry's illness and Zaza's subsequent start will help Giannis out a lot. Based on last year's chemistry between Giannis and Zaza, having Big Z out there might do a lot to help Giannis feel more comfortable with the ball. I'm expecting a lot of awesomely-goofy pick-and-rolls and backdoor cuts between the two.

They played on each other's squads during training camp, at the scrimmage and in the first 3 games. Each media day interview with Paschke they were coupled together and having a playful dialogue. It's been obvious to me that they have a bond on and off the court. I saw it in person at the scrimmage & during the last two games.

I agree that it's probably a boon for his first start at PG but I think that Giannis has a relatively similar chemistry with Sanders. It just works out differently because of their skill sets, as well as the players that they've been on the floor together with this year.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,722

Post#25 » by AussieBuck » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:44 pm

ampd wrote:Why zaza?

These lineups are horrible. Is he picking names out of a hat?

Just hope this ends when the season starts

Zaza sets much better screens (if you ignore all the illegal ones) Could work out well for getting some Giannis driving action.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
PedroGrande
Analyst
And1: 731

Post#26 » by PedroGrande » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:54 pm

Give him isos, screens and Post ups and i'll be happy
"Hope isn't a plan"
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,618

Post#27 » by Matches Malone » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:56 pm

Dcebucks11 wrote:should be sanders instead of zaza tho for starting line up

Sanders is sick and won't be traveling with the team tomorrow.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,618

Post#28 » by Matches Malone » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:57 pm

PedroGrande wrote:Give him isos, screens and Post ups and i'll be happy

I'd love to see a pick and roll with Giannis and Parker.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
cinematographer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,697

Post#29 » by cinematographer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:02 pm

A step in the right direction. Hopefully the first of a marathon-load.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#30 » by stellation » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:05 am

DocHoliday wrote:No Kyie makes Giannis' life easier as well, so the matchup stellation has been waiting for

I'm a little disappointed, obviously the more Delly the better- but I'm really concerned that Giannis is going to be humiliated and this will end in tears, it would have been good if he could have logged some minutes going against Kyrie instead.

I hope someone thinks ahead and has frozen yogurt and puppies ready for him in the changeroom after the game to cheer him up- big test for the new ownership.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,121

Post#31 » by Shaffty » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:28 am

stellation wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:No Kyie makes Giannis' life easier as well, so the matchup stellation has been waiting for

I'm a little disappointed, obviously the more Delly the better- but I'm really concerned that Giannis is going to be humiliated and this will end in tears, it would have been good if he could have logged some minutes going against Kyrie instead.

I hope someone thinks ahead and has frozen yogurt and puppies ready for him in the changeroom after the game to cheer him up- big test for the new ownership.

or from this day on Giannis is starting point guard and our Knight problem takes care of itself!
theFireBlanket
RealGM

Post#32 » by theFireBlanket » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:30 am

ftfy, stell
stellation wrote:

I hope someone thinks ahead and has *smoothies (loads of them too, ie: "3 blueberry, 2 strawberry" - "okay, one blueberry shake, one strawberry?"...."hahahaha... no three blueberry, two strawberry") and puppies ready for him in the changeroom after the game to cheer him up- big test for the new ownership.

Giannis made a point about smoothies in his most recent viral interview from last season, that he went into having his first thinking that it had dairy in it. To his elated surprise, it was all fruit.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/279042341.html

The more complete transcription of J Kidd's interview about Giannis has even higher praise than the excerpt in the video Bucks.com ran today.

Charles Gardner wrote:"I think his first gift is he likes to make plays for his teammates," Kidd said of the Greek athlete. "That's one of his strengths and we've got to find a way to put him in that position.

"In the open court he's special. In the halfcourt we need to find ways to make sure that he can help his teammates and also help himself."

The bonus for Kidd and the Bucks is the increased confidence the second-year player is getting from being put in such a primary role. Wherever he plays during the season, the experience should be a huge benefit.

"I think a coach has listen to his players," Kidd said. "Without them even being verbal, they'll tell you with their actions what they feel comfortable with. Some of the plays he made in the Chicago game, but also just in practice, he's trying to find guys. He's trying to do the right thing. You take away being almost 7 feet, it's a special player."

Charles Gardner wrote:One of the most memorable plays Saturday was Antetokounmpo backing down Tony Snell and throwing a sweeping hook shot over the Chicago player. The basket was part of a nine-point quarter for 19-year-old Bucks player.

"It just showed his ability to be patient, to look around and see what was there," Kidd said. "He took what was given. When he extends himself he becomes 11 feet tall, if not taller. It was a nice sky hook. He looked very comfortable doing that move."

:lol:

theFireBlanket
RealGM

Post#33 » by theFireBlanket » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:09 am

LeBron told the Cleveland media today that he plans to take off one of the upcoming games. Which of them he's yet to decide on* but said it'd probably come on a back-to-back. Their game tomorrow is before playing Indiana on Wednesday. Hope he doesn't take off for this game because I was really looking forward to Giannis and Jabari matching up against him.

godkingleonidas
Banned User
And1: 2,215

Post#34 » by godkingleonidas » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:24 am

That mofo is thinking way outside the box and ... I like it. Do it.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#35 » by Newz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:32 pm

I'll say I'm not a fan of Giannis actually playing "point guard". I'd prefer to just start him at the 3 and have him handle the ball a lot. Not that big of a deal since it's the preseason and I could really care less if we experiment with it during the regular season (since I'm sure we'll be terrible this year, most likely).

I do like the idea of both Giannis and Jabari being 'point forwards' though. I think they both have the talent to handle the ball in the halfcourt/on the break and distribute.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#36 » by Badgerlander » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:08 pm

game thread? max? bueller?
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Post#37 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:32 pm

Newz wrote:I'll say I'm not a fan of Giannis actually playing "point guard". I'd prefer to just start him at the 3 and have him handle the ball a lot. Not that big of a deal since it's the preseason and I could really care less if we experiment with it during the regular season (since I'm sure we'll be terrible this year, most likely).

I do like the idea of both Giannis and Jabari being 'point forwards' though. I think they both have the talent to handle the ball in the halfcourt/on the break and distribute.

yep... agree with this. giannis is one hell of a talent but making him the actual pg actually lessens his affect imo. let him lead in transition.... maybe even be the guy who catches the pass first in the offense to initiate a pick and roll on the wing against a bigger(slower) defender. but having him bring the ball up the court into a set halfcourt defense is going to strain his ability if an opposing guard is applying pressure on him once he crosses the midline. I can see a lot of passes out of pressure into sets where he might not even get the ball back unless its in the post. it will be too easy for opposing pgs to deny him. hes fast and long for a sf but maybe too long and not fast enough as a pg... after all, perhaps theres a reason LeBron himself doesn't play pg either. and its certainly not because his coaches don't want the ball in his hands at all times possible.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#38 » by old skool » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:10 pm

I did not see much from Antetokounmpo as a PG in the half court against the Bulls.

All of his production was on the break or on one-on-one plays. He was ineffective facilitating team offense as a PG.

That is not to dismiss his value pushing the ball or making a move on his own. I thought his baby hook was particularly impressive. But he continues to demonstrate a basic lack of understanding of NBA basketball. He does horribly when the game slows down and he has to think things through. He is exceptional when all he does is go at the defense and blow by them.

He has similar issues on defense. He is great reacting to cross court passes and shots near the rim. But he is clueless when it comes to guarding his man. A handful of times against the Bulls he left his man wide open to triple team the ball - or even worse to guard an open spot on the court.

Playing him at PG will create big match up issues for the opponent, but will also create huge opportunities for the opposition to take advantage of his lack of understanding and experience. We should be patient when Giannis does not play too much at PG during the season.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#39 » by LUKE23 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:45 pm

old skool wrote:I did not see much from Antetokounmpo as a PG in the half court against the Bulls.

All of his production was on the break or on one-on-one plays. He was ineffective facilitating team offense as a PG.

That is not to dismiss his value pushing the ball or making a move on his own. I thought his baby hook was particularly impressive. But he continues to demonstrate a basic lack of understanding of NBA basketball. He does horribly when the game slows down and he has to think things through. He is exceptional when all he does is go at the defense and blow by them.

He has similar issues on defense. He is great reacting to cross court passes and shots near the rim. But he is clueless when it comes to guarding his man. A handful of times against the Bulls he left his man wide open to triple team the ball - or even worse to guard an open spot on the court.

Playing him at PG will create big match up issues for the opponent, but will also create huge opportunities for the opposition to take advantage of his lack of understanding and experience. We should be patient when Giannis does not play too much at PG during the season.

:lol:
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#40 » by eagle13 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:49 am

I love the idea of GA at PG. While Kidd discovers if he can really master the position he will make enough mistakes to help us finish in the bottom 7 getting us a top 7 pick. I still start Knight at SG, Middleton at SF and bring Parker off bench as 6th man getting 30 mpg at both F spots as Kidd discovers his stronger position.

11 man rotation

Sanders / Henson / Zaza
Ersan / Parker / Henson ---------/ OBryant
Middleton / Parker / Dudley ----/ Inglis
Knight / Bayless / Dudley ------/ Mayo
Giannis / Marshall / Knight-----/ Wolters

Return to Milwaukee Bucks