ImageImage

Preseason Game 4 @ Cavs (6:00pm CST) NBA TV (Lebron Out)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Re: Preseason Game 4 @ Cavs (6:00pm CST) NBA TV (Lebron Out) 

Post#561 » by Newz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:27 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I'm not worried at all about Jabari becoming a selfish player, but I think that people need to realize that, much like Brandon Knight's personality, being a "willing passer" doesn't always mean you're going to even be an average distributor.

Going by what we saw from him at Duke, Jabari becoming a "black hole" on offense is a legitimate concern. I think he'll improve as he matures, but the Carmelo comparisons are valid for reasons beyond his scoring ability, as in I don't think he ever becomes much better of a passer than Melo is right now (3 AST per 36, 15.8 AST%). And with Jabari hopefully playing at the 4 for the majority of his minutes, I think those numbers are actually a best case scenario.

I wouldn't be shocked if Jabari was only a 1.5-3 assist a night guy whose TOs were equal to or slightly higher than his assist total... but this preseason and the Summer League wouldn't give me that impression. I've actually been stunned by his ability to pass the ball. I think he has been far better than advertised in the department.

Don't get me wrong, he's not a LeBron or anything like that when it comes to court vision... but I think if he works at it he could become as good of a passer as Durant has become. I think Parker has the talent and the vision to average 4-5 assists a night.

He's only 19 though and we haven't even seen him play a 'real game' yet. So I wouldn't be shocked either way.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#562 » by machu46 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:31 pm

Newz wrote:
machu46 wrote:
Newz wrote:Parker's team was better than Melo's team in college?

Man... Syracuse must have been horrible that year they won the National Title. Duke was super terrible last season outside of Parker.

Duke was pretty clearly more talented on the offensive end. I'm a huge Cuse fan, but that's just a fact. Nobody expected that team to make a title run like that. Melo pretty much put the team on his back and then the other guys stepped up in the championship game.

I don't remember that Cuse team other than Carmelo was ridiculously good in college, so I'll take your word for it. I had no idea he carried a bunch of scrubs to the National Title... that's super impressive.

They weren't scrubs, but they weren't expected to be a top 25 team. Kueth Duany was really the only returning player that people had any faith in. Outside of him, it was a freshman PG committee (which turned out to be good later in their careers and showed signs in the tournament), a C that couldn't really do anything well, and the über athletic but incredibly raw Hakeem Warrick who didn't really come into his own until after Melo left. And then they had a lefty named Josh Pace off the bench that sort of became a cult hero among Cuse fans for being in the right place at the right time, but he was just a decent role player. What Melo did in his one year at Syracuse was just incredible. That year was actually the first year I got to go to a game at the Dome. It was just a really special year, but Syracuse has had 3 or 4 teams in recent years that almost everybody would agree was better than the title team.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#563 » by Newz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:34 pm

machu46 wrote:They weren't scrubs, but they weren't expected to be a top 25 team. Kueth Duany was really the only returning player that people had any faith in. Outside of him, it was a freshman PG committee (which turned out to be good later in their careers and showed signs in the tournament), a C that couldn't really do anything well, and the über athletic but incredibly raw Hakeem Warrick who didn't really come into his own until after Melo left. And then they had a lefty named Josh Pace off the bench that sort of became a cult hero among Cuse fans for being in the right place at the right time, but he was just a decent role player. What Melo did in his one year at Syracuse was just incredible. That year was actually the first year I got to go to a game at the Dome. It was just a really special year, but Syracuse has had 3 or 4 teams in recent years that almost everybody would agree was better than the title team.

Yeah. I remember watching Melo in college and thinking that anyone who passed on him with the first overall pick was insane. That guy was unbelievably dominant at that level and has to be one of the best college ball players ever, even though he only played one year.

Then I saw LeBron James play a High School game and I was like "Oh, that's how someone could pass on Carmelo".
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,017

Post#564 » by FrieAaron » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:35 pm

I would think someone who names Oscar Robertson as their NBA idol values sharing the basketball.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 7,929

Post#565 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:49 pm

machu46 wrote:
They weren't scrubs, but they weren't expected to be a top 25 team. Kueth Duany was really the only returning player that people had any faith in. Outside of him, it was a freshman PG committee (which turned out to be good later in their careers and showed signs in the tournament), a C that couldn't really do anything well, and the über athletic but incredibly raw Hakeem Warrick who didn't really come into his own until after Melo left. And then they had a lefty named Josh Pace off the bench that sort of became a cult hero among Cuse fans for being in the right place at the right time, but he was just a decent role player. What Melo did in his one year at Syracuse was just incredible. That year was actually the first year I got to go to a game at the Dome. It was just a really special year, but Syracuse has had 3 or 4 teams in recent years that almost everybody would agree was better than the title team.

warrick certainly improved later but he also had a huge impact in that run.... especially defensively in that zone.
McNamara had his best shooting season of his entire career mostly because Carmelo was on the team taking away pressure.
mcneil was a very typical, and successful, jim boeheim role playing big.
and Carmelo was Carmelo.

lets not downplay that roster too much. the team wasn't expected to win a title but by the end that had certainly changed.... and the following year without a soul added they won 23 and advanced to the sweet 16. there was some talent there.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,492

Post#566 » by JayMKE » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm not too worried about Jabari being a blackhole, he's going to take a lot of shots but he's going to make a lot of them and will usually always be the best option on any given play. He's a smart kid and seems like a willing passer, his idol is Oscar Robertson as mentioned. I wish some of this could rub off on Giannis who is way to willing to defer.
FREE GIANNIS
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#567 » by Max Green » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:16 pm

Excellent find by Parker and finish by Henson. Last year Henson would've probably tried to lay that up. If you watched Parker in Summer league & the Preseason so far it's clear he's not a blackhole offensively.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#568 » by Max Green » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Parkers speed is really deceptive. He blew by Marion even though Marion held his jersey....
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
The Wet Whistle
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,245

Post#569 » by The Wet Whistle » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:27 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/522814996615815168[/tweet]

Milwaukee BucksVerified account
‏@Bucks
Coach Kidd: Ersan, Larry, Damien and JOB will not be on the road trip to Iowa and NYC.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ersan out again? What now? Other than being awful at basketball
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#570 » by ampd » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Does Larry have ebola?
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#571 » by CanadaBucks » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:51 pm

The Wet Whistle wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/522814996615815168[/tweet]

Milwaukee BucksVerified account
‏@Bucks
Coach Kidd: Ersan, Larry, Damien and JOB will not be on the road trip to Iowa and NYC.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ersan out again? What now? Other than being awful at basketball

A bit thin up front, we'll be playing small-ball most times. Henson might play some 4 with Zaza too
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#572 » by emunney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Max Green wrote:

Parkers speed is really deceptive. He blew by Marion even though Marion held his jersey....

Good footwork. That and Marion is not what he used to be.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#573 » by CanadaBucks » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:04 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Paschketball/status/522835894186045441[/tweet]

Surprised by the timing of the Millsap release, maybe he's got another opportunity
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#574 » by Dcebucks11 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:29 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:Per 36 stats of the 19 year olds in preseason:

Parker: 15.8 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 1.2 steals, 0.0 blocks, 2.6 TO, .450 TS
Giannis: 10.5 points, 8.0 rebounds, 2.2 assists, .4 steals, 1.5 blocks, 2.2 TO, .462 TS

I'm a little worried about Jabari s' passing ability

He was playing with better teammates and still had a lower assist ratio than Carmelo in college.
And Carmelo is nothing special now.

I could actually foresee him averaging more turnovers than assists this year

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

He was also playing Center a lot I think. That might have something to do with it too. Idk tho

Return to Milwaukee Bucks