ImageImage

UW/MU Recruiting 2015 JUST RECRUITING THREAD

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

UW/MU Recruiting 2015 JUST RECRUITING THREAD 

Post#1 » by SpursNBucks » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:52 pm

1st of all - Congrats on MU for landing Ellenson the top state recruit of all-time. Ranked #4 overall by ESPN. It's been a while since a highly ranked big has chosen MU (in this case over Kentucky and Mich St). Playing with his bro obviously meant a lot.

MU (ESPN Rankings)
Ellenson #4 6'10" 230 (PF)
Noskowiak #70 6'2" 180 (PG)
Cheatham #80 6'5" 175 (2G)

Heldt 6'10" 220 (C) #20th ranked Center 4 star

MU is said to be trying to land Jaylen Brown (6'7" 220 SF- Georgia). This would seem like an extreme long shot as he is the #2 ranked player overall. They are going up against all the top schools - Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio State, - probably a lock for Kentucky.

UW (ESPN Rankings)
Illikainen #95 6'8" 225 (PF)

Pritzl 6'3" 195 (2G) #32 ranked 2G 4 star
Thomas 6'8" 245 (PF) #53 ranked PF 3 star

UW- besides targeting Stone they are on the hunt for two Guards out of MN that are both 4 stars (Wilson and Anim).

The big question now is where does Diamond Stone go? ESPN has him down to 4 schools - UConn, Oklahoma State, Maryland, and of course UW. First of all I thought bigger name programs were after him like Kentucky, Mich State, etc. ? Is this list accurate? Not sure why he would have interest in Maryland or OK State? UW seems like a favorite here with UConn probably close. That would be an awful strong front court - Stone and Nigel Hayes for two years. They also have him ranked #6, thought he was a little higher, has he dropped a little?
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Re: UW/MU Recruiting 2015 JUST RECRUITING THREAD 

Post#2 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:56 pm

Is MU out of the Stone sweepstakes for sure? I haven't followed it recently.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#3 » by SpursNBucks » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:06 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:Is MU out of the Stone sweepstakes for sure? I haven't followed it recently.

It appears so - I think that happened when they signed Ellenson. Stone has visited all those schools listed, UConn was the last Nov1. He hasn't visited UW yet officially. My guess is that is where he thinks he will go, but just making the rounds and doing a little due diligence. I'm sure he knows what he has at UW. I think he and Hayes would form a mighty imposing front court for two years. Also, I think they fit into Bo's type of game and classic rough Big 10 style.
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#4 » by SpursNBucks » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:14 pm

If somehow MU could pull off Brown - they might have the top recruiting class in the country. You would have the #2 and #4 ranked players along with two other in the top 80. That is something they could use to get him. With no football at MU, it's the only game on campus. They could use that kind of national attention as a springboard to future recruiting success - as long as the team itself has success. It's a major long shot- (lottery style) as he has only visited Kentucky and Kansas.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,655

Post#5 » by StickeeFingaz » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:49 pm

The top 4 list is accurate, Stone posted in on twitter a week or two ago, released his top 4 in no particular order. He visited Madison last weekend for the Red/White scrimmage, heard his family was there also. He's visiting UCONN this weekend. He said he's making his decision on Nov. 12, but i'm sure thats not set in stone, no pun intended.
#FreeChuckDiesel
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#6 » by smauss » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:50 pm

Thanks for the update. I'm lovin' this!
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,747

Post#7 » by Licensed to Il » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:18 pm

I have been daydreaming about Stone playing for the Badgers for three years now. If I were Bo, I would pitch: he won't have to carry the load in year one but will get a ton of national exposure, that he (Stone) is loved throughout the state, Koenig as a teammate (throwback point guard), a system that will develop your outside game, and (a system and roster of shooters) that make double teams rare.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#8 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:24 pm

Nobody really knows what will happen, it is a change of pace that UW has a small/legit chance at Stone over past "recruiting hat" type games. That said, the last few days everyone is placing Stone at UConn. The other 2 in his list would surprise me but some say he was impressed by OK State, so who knows.

I don't see them getting Stone. For the Badgers, it sucks that Wojo is in state because they probably would have just slow-played Heldt as a backup option in the past, but now there is a coach in the state that will actually take those guys.
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Post#9 » by bucksbrewers3 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:25 pm

Coach Wojo has locked down every top talent in wisconsin outside of stone. Stone is not considering MU which im not happy about but oh well, good luck to where ever you choose. Brown would IMO lock marquette as the #1 class for next year. I checked a week or so ago and they were 3rd on espn, landing brown would cement them as 1.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,013

Post#10 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:30 pm

Villanoeyebrows wrote:I have been daydreaming about Stone playing for the Badgers for three years now. If I were Bo, I would pitch: he won't have to carry the load in year one but will get a ton of national exposure, that he (Stone) is loved throughout the state, Koenig as a teammate (throwback point guard), a system that will develop your outside game, and (a system and roster of shooters) that make double teams rare.

The problem with that is most top recruits don't see themselves sticking around campus for a 2nd year.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#11 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:34 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Villanoeyebrows wrote:I have been daydreaming about Stone playing for the Badgers for three years now. If I were Bo, I would pitch: he won't have to carry the load in year one but will get a ton of national exposure, that he (Stone) is loved throughout the state, Koenig as a teammate (throwback point guard), a system that will develop your outside game, and (a system and roster of shooters) that make double teams rare.

The problem with that is most top recruits don't see themselves sticking around campus for a 2nd year.

Exactly, if Stone comes in and plays well Year 1 - he's gone. Ellenson probably for that matter too.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#12 » by smauss » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:38 pm

My son played against Stone for quite a few years. I didn't see him play last year, but it will be interesting to see how he compete's at the college level, against that quality of talent. I'm sure he's played AAU and other traveling teams but it isn't anything like major college basketball. It will be interesting.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#13 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:43 pm

My guess is that one of Stone or Ellenson is a one-and-done, not sure which one. Just by the numbers, there aren't as many one-and-done guys as much. They're probably two of, what, 20 guys that are candidates to be top 10 picks? I feel like both Stone and Ellenson are smart enough guys/have smart enough families to not have them leave school early if they aren't a top 10 pick.

The only odd thing with Stone, if he is a one-and-done, is that UConn might still have Nolan and Brimah already in the fold. I'm sure Ollie would find plenty of minutes, but that is about the only thing UW has going for it. I think UConn will get him, though.
wapith
Junior
And1: 164

Post#14 » by wapith » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:54 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:Coach Wojo has locked down every top talent in wisconsin outside of stone. Stone is not considering MU which im not happy about but oh well, good luck to where ever you choose. Brown would IMO lock marquette as the #1 class for next year. I checked a week or so ago and they were 3rd on espn, landing brown would cement them as 1.

Not exactly... Pritzl is rated higher than Heldt on every site except ESPN, and higher than Noskowiak on 247 (they are very close on other sites). Regardless, an excellent class for MU including several great in-state players
SpursNBucks
Banned User

Post#15 » by SpursNBucks » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:11 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Nobody really knows what will happen, it is a change of pace that UW has a small/legit chance at Stone over past "recruiting hat" type games. That said, the last few days everyone is placing Stone at UConn. The other 2 in his list would surprise me but some say he was impressed by OK State, so who knows.

I don't see them getting Stone. For the Badgers, it sucks that Wojo is in state because they probably would have just slow-played Heldt as a backup option in the past, but now there is a coach in the state that will actually take those guys.

I'm not sure why you think that UW only has a "small" legit chance at Stone? Who is "everyone" or where do you see this that UConn is the big favorite?

If he's close to his family (which by all accounts he is). It would be easy for them to see him play all his games in Madison. They could also form a imposing front line with Hayes for 2 years - if he stays that long. I would think UW has to be the favorite.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,282

Post#16 » by xTitan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:30 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Nobody really knows what will happen, it is a change of pace that UW has a small/legit chance at Stone over past "recruiting hat" type games. That said, the last few days everyone is placing Stone at UConn. The other 2 in his list would surprise me but some say he was impressed by OK State, so who knows.

I'm not sure why you think that UW only has a "small" legit chance at Stone? Who is "everyone" or where do you see this that UConn is the big favorite?

If he's close to his family (which by all accounts he is). It would be easy for them to see him play all his games in Madison. They could also form a imposing front line with Hayes for 2 years - if he stays that long. I would think UW has to be the favorite.

I also believe UW has less than a20% for Stone. Bo doesn't promise starting jobs to anyone, as a matter of fact, Bo is so old school believes in the upper class system, Stone is a one and done, wants to start and play big minutes, which he should....just doesn't seem like a good fit.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,655

Post#17 » by StickeeFingaz » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:39 pm

xTitan wrote:
SpursNBucks wrote:

I also believe UW has less than a20% for Stone. Bo doesn't promise starting jobs to anyone, as a matter of fact, Bo is so old school believes in the upper class system, Stone is a one and done, wants to start and play big minutes, which he should....just doesn't seem like a good fit.

This is true about Bo starting seniors who may have less talent than younger players, but after Frank leaves, UW doesn't have a back up center that I know of which would force Bo to give Stone a lot of playing time as a freshman.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#18 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:59 pm

xTitan wrote:

Don't be ridiculous. If Bo could get Stone, he'd play him. He may be set in his ways but he's not stupid if a situation like this comes around.

If Bo honestly told him that he might be benched behind a senior big man (they don't really have any that year anyways) why in the hell would Stone even be considering them? Why was their hat on the table for Looney? Those guys might as well have hung up the phone on first contact if he really was going to do that for everyone.

You can say something about style of play, not glamorous NBA prestige, etc. as to why they can't get these guys, but I'm sure Bo would say as much as "you're going to be a top 20 player in the nation, so you'll clearly play for us" to any recruit like Looney or Stone.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#19 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:02 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:

Do you use Twitter? Follow Evan Flood, Jon McNamara, Ben Worgull. Flood is by far the best at 247.

Go to his page on 247 and there is the crystal ball:
http://247sports.com/Player/Diamond-Stone-20022

The Crystal Ball, like recruiting stars, gets ripped because it is quite a bit of an inexact science, but it is the best way to have any sort of guess. Most of the time, its the writers just completely guessing, but there is a percentage of time that these guys either have information or know. If you're really trying to guess, it is your best bet, but obviously don't take these guys as 100% certainty. It's a "best guess" sometimes that is a complete guess, sometimes it does have weight to it.

Also, when I say "small legit" I guess it should have just been "small." Less than 20% as xTitan said is about right, but they do seem like #2 from all of the quotes at this point.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,878

Post#20 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:45 pm

It feels pretty gross that we likely will miss out on both Stone and Ellenson.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks