ImageImage

Postgame: Bucks @ Nets

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Re: Postgame: Bucks @ Nets 

Post#521 » by xTitan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:15 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:The Pro and anti knight people definitely look at him differently. The missed alley-oop is viewed by the doubters as pure selfishness by Knight. I honestly think he was just trying to make a play. He has horrible IQ and vision but he is athletic and I feel his heart is tryng to help the team win. Can he develop PG skills and settle into either a combo role or a facilitator? I'm willing to give him 2 more years since he could be an all-star level player if he does.

I don't think he is this horrible, selfish person that this board makes him out to be. HI think he is young, extremely competitive and just needs to grow as a player. Everytime he makes a anti-highlight play (DJ's dunk, Irving's cross over, or missed lay-up), it has been because he was willing to compete and was trying to hard. People can hate him for failing, but all he does is try to make plays.

I know you understand what basketball IQ means, you just said he has a terrible basketball IQ, that will never change...you can't win consistently when the guy who dominates the ball has a horrible basketball IQ.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,291

Post#522 » by KidA24 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:19 am

Knight is an extremely talented reactive player.

I can't think of a player who has gone from reactive to anticipatory.

The guys who know where the defense will be in two steps instead of where they are now.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#523 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:07 am

xTitan wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:The Pro and anti knight people definitely look at him differently. The missed alley-oop is viewed by the doubters as pure selfishness by Knight. I honestly think he was just trying to make a play. He has horrible IQ and vision but he is athletic and I feel his heart is tryng to help the team win. Can he develop PG skills and settle into either a combo role or a facilitator? I'm willing to give him 2 more years since he could be an all-star level player if he does.

I don't think he is this horrible, selfish person that this board makes him out to be. HI think he is young, extremely competitive and just needs to grow as a player. Everytime he makes a anti-highlight play (DJ's dunk, Irving's cross over, or missed lay-up), it has been because he was willing to compete and was trying to hard. People can hate him for failing, but all he does is try to make plays.

I know you understand what basketball IQ means, you just said he has a terrible basketball IQ, that will never change...you can't win consistently when the guy who dominates the ball has a horrible basketball IQ.

Wasnt the same thing said about Billups? I know Billups is a rare exception but I'm willing to wait it out with a guy like brandon knight. Sometimes it takes years for these guys to click or to settle in their roles. Knight has raw skills and heart. I think he can develop into a player. Maybe not a starting PG but someone who you want on your team. Even over this year, either he or kidd found out he is better off the ball and you have been seeing more and more of it. Let's see where he is at as a player at the trade deadline before we give up on him.

KidA24 wrote:Knight is an extremely talented reactive player.

The guys who know where the defense will be in two steps instead of where they are now.

This is the same guy that has great instincts on defense who made some great steals using anticipation. Or can a guy only not anticipate on offense?
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,532

Post#524 » by raferfenix » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:18 am

Would love to be convinced that the likes of Billups or even Tony Parker started their careers with just as poor of a capacity to make players around them better as Knight is showing now.

Any stats that back that up?

Otherwise it seems like there is a whole lot more to support the idea that the court vision and attitude of a point guard is not really something you can teach.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,775

Post#525 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:21 am

raferfenix wrote:Any stats that back that up?

I'm sure you can find all the stats for Billups or Parker in the "Will Jennings turn into Billups" threads of yesteryear.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
jtf150
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#526 » by jtf150 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:42 am

ampd wrote:
El Duderino wrote:
Cooleyo47 wrote:
Being the battered Bucks fan I am, my mind instantly assumed he blew out his knee when he collapsed in a heap on that play. Old habits die hard.

Yea, while i'd like to see him play vs Toronto, if he only misses one game, i consider that a lucky break given how it initially looked when he went down. First i feared Giannis hurt his knee and then when i saw his ankle turn, it looked like one of those ankle sprains which could potentially keep him out for a few weeks.

It probably isn't that bad if we let him play 3 ots on it

I knew it would swell up and be sore today, but it cant be that bad if he kept playing after it happened.
“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''” - Muhammad Ali
Mihai
Junior
And1: 117

Post#527 » by Mihai » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:38 am

Yes, Knight is good on defense and yes, he can score the ball sometimes, but he is the type of PG that you don't want him handling the ball.
Whenever he dribbles, I'm afraid he will get the ball stolen or he will dribble it off his foot or any other bad possible thing.
JABBAri Parker
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,291

Post#528 » by KidA24 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:25 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
KidA24 wrote:Knight is an extremely talented reactive player.

This is the same guy that has great instincts on defense who made some great steals using anticipation. Or can a guy only not anticipate on offense?

On defense you're almost never thinking two steps ahead. You have to react to what the offense does. Knight has made good defensive plays because he understands where he should be during a given play.

What he doesn't understand is the art of breaking down a defense. You hear Nash or Magic talk about breaking down a defense, they knew if they took two steps left, what the defense would do.

It's why, when Knight runs the pick 'n roll, and he actually throws a pass, it always seems a half beat late. Almost as if his brain is going,"Oh, the defense is there, I should throw the pass, okay, I'll throw the pass. "He is reacting, not anticipating.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#529 » by aboveAverage » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:01 am

I'm sick of the Brandon Knight talk. It dominates every single thread after every single game. I've never seen a player so highly discussed on this board, not even Bogut.

I'm enjoying watching the team play this year, including Knight and his seesawing play this year. Let's just agree to disagree on him.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#530 » by Chapter29 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Never seen a player so discussed?

Each and every year there is one player that many people get emotional about and sides form and discussion go rampant.

Tobias, Jennings, Bogut, Ellis, Redd, TJ. Heck even guys like Salmons, Maggette, Gooden, etc all had their share of air time.

With that, I do agree that I get sick of all the bashing.
Giannis
is
UponUs
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#531 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:23 pm

Chapter29 wrote:Never seen a player so discussed?

Each and every year there is one player that many people get emotional about and sides form and discussion go rampant.

Tobias, Jennings, Bogut, Ellis, Redd, TJ. Heck even guys like Salmons, Maggette, Gooden, etc all had their share of air time.

Can't forget about Mo!
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#532 » by Newz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:01 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:

Can't forget about Mo!

The difference with Mo is that he was awesome... all of those other guys were not.

Did they have a Mr. Peanut tattoo? What's that? No? I rest my case.
tbirdblue
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#533 » by tbirdblue » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Any update on Larry???
Bucks_MacGyver
Sixth Man
And1: 339

Post#534 » by Bucks_MacGyver » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:51 pm

I'll take prime mo over knight any day.... But he probably won't get much pt he won't buy into the defense

You put a rookie tj Ford and this a 48+ win team. That's how much knight is a negative on the floor
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#535 » by Chapter29 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:

Can't forget about Mo!

Damn! I knew I was forgetting one of the bigger ones. Thanks.
Giannis
is
UponUs
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#536 » by emunney » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:34 pm

Man, it's almost as if we discuss Bucks players around here all the time.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#537 » by Newz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:43 pm

emunney wrote:Man, it's almost as if we discuss Bucks players around here all the time.

Rumor has it people talk about Green Bay Packer players on the Green Bay Packer forum too.

Madness, I know.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks