ImageImage

can we talk about parkers conditioning?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

can we talk about parkers conditioning? 

Post#1 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:18 pm

his weight watchers thread was locked. Just wanted to point out that so far jabari's conditioning so far this season compared to summer league has been night and day. Something that was a big scare for most of us on this board has turned into a non-issue. Props to the kid.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Re: can we talk about parkers conditioning? 

Post#2 » by M-C-G » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:23 pm

It's something he is always going to have to monitor, but he really came back from summer league and looked to improve significantly.

Off topic, his defense the last two games has definitely improved as well. Nice to see Kidd isn't just going to hide him, but that there is an expectation he is going to have play d well.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#3 » by Badgerlander » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:35 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XlH7as17tc[/youtube]
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Willie Colon
Starter
And1: 1,151

Post#4 » by Willie Colon » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:49 pm

I wasn't the least bit worried about his conditioning. He's too focused and mature to let his weight and conditioning get the better of him.

Speaking of Jabeefaroni Porker, he caught that pass with his right; slammed it with his left.

http://gfycat.com/AccomplishedActiveDrake
We have Giannis Antetokounmpo and you don't. :naaa:
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#5 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:57 pm

Willie Colon wrote:I wasn't the least bit worried about his conditioning. He's too focused and mature to let his weight and conditioning get the better of him.

Speaking of Jabeefaroni Porker, he caught that pass with his right; slammed it with his left.

http://gfycat.com/AccomplishedActiveDrake

trying to hard its chubari porker
Serge28
RealGM
And1: 1,733

Post#6 » by Serge28 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:01 pm

While Parker's conditioning is certainly a lot better than I had expected it to be, it's still nowhere where it should be and eventually will be. I think a huge reason why he didn't play in some of last night's overtime periods was exactly due to his conditioning.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,768

Post#7 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:38 pm

Most people weren't concerned. Some were. He played over 40 minutes last night. He's fine.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#8 » by Newz » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Porker.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#9 » by Bernman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:43 pm

a. He stated himself he doesn't have 4-quarter cardio right now.
b. I was the one who started that weight watchers thread, and my primary concern was always his body type rather than stamina. That improved after summer league, but it's still a considerable issue leading to underachieving, IMO. He's still heavy-set and soft-bodied. Look at his misses. 90+% of them have to be short. That's presumably because gravity is taking its toll making him shoot on the way down and he doesn't have the muscle to still get the ball all the way to the goal usually. Also, it's leading him to not get by his defender on first move much, so he has to work back and forth, which often leads to him losing the ball or orientation to the basket. Not to mention defensively it doesn't allow him to recover when he gets out of position. I think his game will really enjoy a leap when he cuts another 5-10 pounds and builds a decent amount more muscle.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#10 » by LUKE23 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Bernman wrote:a. He stated himself he doesn't have 4-quarter cardio right now.
b. I was the one who started that weight watchers thread, and my primary concern was always his body type rather than stamina. That improved after summer league, but it's still a considerable issue leading to underachieving, IMO. He's still heavy-set and soft-bodied. Look at his misses. 90+% of them have to be short. That's presumably because gravity is taking its toll making him shoot on the way down and he doesn't have the muscle to still get the ball all the way to the goal usually. Also, it's leading him to not get by his defender on first move much, so he has to work back and forth, which often leads to him losing the ball or orientation to the basket. Not to mention defensively it doesn't allow him to recover when he gets out of position. I think his game will really enjoy a leap when he cuts another 5-10 pounds and builds a decent amount more muscle.

Agree.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#11 » by stellation » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:11 pm

Spoiler:
The Los Angeles Lakers are 2-0 this season with Nick Young in the lineup after starting the season 1-9 without him.

“I can’t take all of the credit. I can take some of it,” Young said. “It’s all about my swag. That’s a part of my repertoire.”

Young is averaging 16.5 points in 28.0 minutes over his first two games.

“I’m talking about how I just walk off. I leave a presence when I walk off. I’m like Michael Jackson, Prince, all them other guys.”

This is all tongue in cheek, isn't it?

Whoops, that was in the wrong thread!
#FreeChuckDiesel
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#12 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:20 pm

He's looked gassed in some games of late. But then last night he was focused and motivated.

Can't tell if physical or mental.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#13 » by Newz » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:27 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:He's looked gassed in some games of late. But then last night he was focused and motivated.

Can't tell if physical or mental.

I think right now Jabari's competitive nature is what carries him through games. It's obviously he's not a finley tuned athlete yet. He still carries a little extra weight. I mean he's going to be a big dude because that's his frame, but eventually he should be in better shape than he is now. But when he was going against Melo or KG you saw his intensity pick up... he pushed through the fatigue more to compete against those guys.

I think that's going to happen with certain guys, I think it happened with Giannis last year in a different way. Giannis came into the NBA as a super skinny, frail looking kid. He played a year in the NBA and you have to imagine he thought to himself something like "Holy ****... I better get more muscle and in better shape or I'm just not going to last.". We have seen what a season and offseason at NBA level training has done for him... the guys body is completely different now.

I have to imagine the same thing will happen with Jabari. As the year goes on and the season takes its toll on his body he will adapt and realize that he needs to lose weight, get in better shape, eat better, etc. Maybe he's one of those guys who just won't get it and has the skill to be an effective player, but doesn't get himself in the type of shape that allows him to be a true star... but to me Parker seems like a guy willing to committ physically.

It had to suck for Giannis to be playing without that extra muscle just like it has to suck for Jabari to be playing with a little extra weight. Hopefully Jabari has a similar attitude toward his conditioning as Giannis does.
Berkeley2016
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#14 » by Berkeley2016 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:13 pm

He's 19. He will be fine.

Someone should ask him in an interview when he first started working in a weight room. I like prospects who hold off on that until they get to college. It shows that they have the talent to dominate without ratcheting up non-basketball training. More upside to develop. Maybe he has already talked about this somewhere but I haven't seen it.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#15 » by emunney » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:26 pm

Has he tried the don't ever drink any water diet? Water makes you fat. I heard that somewhere.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#16 » by stellation » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:40 pm

emunney wrote:Has he tried the don't ever drink any water diet? Water makes you fat. I heard that somewhere.

Did you hear it from Tobias?
#FreeChuckDiesel
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#17 » by JayMKE » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:43 pm

I never thought his conditioning was that bad, it was an overblown concern. His conditioning looks on par with other rookies even in SL.
FREE GIANNIS
GOBsaysCOMEON
Junior
And1: 154

Post#18 » by GOBsaysCOMEON » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:25 pm

I view it as a minor issue at the moment. He's in better shape than in summer league. Ideally, he will replace some of the fat with muscle while keeping the same weight. I think his bulk helps him posting up. The nice thing is that we're dealing with a high character guy, which gives me confidence he'll figure it out.
Once, when asked if he was concerned about his former coach Nate McMillan commenting that he has a selfish attitude, Jerome James replied, "I don't even know what he's talking about, I just worry about Jerome."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks