All Things Larry Sanders

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

wisportsfan4
Junior
And1: 81

All Things Larry Sanders 

Post#1 » by wisportsfan4 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:55 am

Hey all-

I've been the biggest Larry supporter through thick and thin, but as I continue to watch games, I've grown increasingly frustrated with his lack of coordination on the court. I have no doubt he is an elite defender when he's out there, but he has been in foul trouble seemingly every first quarter and that has put us at a disadvantage the remainder of first halves. Compounding the foul trouble, this season he has started doing way too much one-on-one driving which almost always results in a wild shot or a turnover.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't think it's necessarily fair to judge Larry fouling this season entirely on his coordination (of lack there of), because I realize he has absolutely ZERO interior defensive help and he's 99/100 the last line of defense on drives. But is it time to salvage what he can for him? I'm honestly starting to think his coordination on either end will never come around.

Thanks.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Re: Larry Sanders' coordination 

Post#2 » by AussieBuck » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:58 am

He's more skilled than Ben Wallace. :D I don't know about Larry, he's calmed down a bit but he's still doing rash things and the refs are holding grudges. I'd happily trade him if we had another defensive C we could get.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Sky Bucks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Post#3 » by Sky Bucks » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:04 am

Larry can mess with his offensive game for this year for all as I'm concerned. It will likely lead to more losses and the third wheel for the core
#Make'em Believe On Wisconsin
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,390

Post#4 » by randy84 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:12 am

Yep. Time to move Sanders.
wisportsfan4
Junior

Post#5 » by wisportsfan4 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:13 am

Sky Bucks wrote:Larry can mess with his offensive game for this year for all as I'm concerned. It will likely lead to more losses and the third wheel for the core

I'm not talking about picking up another piece, that I'm entirely on board with especially given Hammond mid-1st round success. I just starting to wondering if he'll ever be able to accept his role merely as a defensive ace and then actually learn how to jump straight up, finish with touch around the rim, etc. (basketball fundamentals that develop with age). Because as sad as I am to say I just haven't seen a whole lot of development.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,837

Post#6 » by VooDoo7 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:18 am

Larry in college seems much more coordinated and skilled offensively than he's been in the NBA.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#7 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:25 am

VooDoo7 wrote:Larry in college seems much more coordinated and skilled offensively than he's been in the NBA.

Larry two years ago was much more coordinated and skilled offensively.

He's regressed back to the player he was three years ago. Can impact the game defensively in spurts but gets into foul trouble and plays like a spaz with bad hands.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
wisportsfan4
Junior

Post#8 » by wisportsfan4 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:28 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:Larry in college seems much more coordinated and skilled offensively than he's been in the NBA.

He's regressed back to the player he was three years ago. Can impact the game defensively in spurts but gets into foul trouble and plays like a spaz with bad hands.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is why hasn't this been addressed? Seems obvious that is the one thing (besides foul trouble) preventing him from being an anchor on this team for a long time.
MilHammer
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#9 » by MilHammer » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:30 am

I love Sanders, but I think its time to move him while we can still get something for him. Will help the tank as well. Knight is a black hole, but so is Sanders.
randy84
RealGM

Post#10 » by randy84 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:31 am

It's possible that Sanders just had a career year. Also, I don't think Kidd's style fits Sanders style. Skiles had everything filter to the middle where you had Bogut and then Sanders waiting.

Kidd is more about double and triple teaming.

On the offensive end, Sanders is a duck out of water.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#11 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:35 am

randy84 wrote:It's possible that Sanders just had a career year. Also, I don't think Kidd's style fits Sanders style. Skiles had everything filter to the middle where you had Bogut and then Sanders waiting.

Sales line I'd use with Charlotte and Sacto on the calls tomorrow.

TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,593

Post#12 » by TroyD92 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:39 am

Samders-Cousins would be terrific in so many ways.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
wisportsfan4
Junior

Post#13 » by wisportsfan4 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:42 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
randy84 wrote:It's possible that Sanders just had a career year. Also, I don't think Kidd's style fits Sanders style. Skiles had everything filter to the middle where you had Bogut and then Sanders waiting.

Sales line I'd use with Charlotte and Sacto on the calls tomorrow.

McLemore/Stauskas or McCallum for Larry/Knight?

Marshall
McLemore
Parker
Giannis
Zaza (draft one next season).

Marshall and Zaza would allow the free development of each of those three, mainly Jabari, on the offensive end.
randy84
RealGM

Post#14 » by randy84 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:46 am

TroyD92 wrote:Samders-Cousins would be terrific in so many ways.

I will take the over for number of technicals in a game.
Giannis Parker
Banned User
And1: 169

Post#15 » by Giannis Parker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:49 am

wisportsfan4 wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

I guess what I'm trying to understand is why hasn't this been addressed? Seems obvious that is the one thing (besides foul trouble) preventing him from being an anchor on this team for a long time.

Are you part of the coaching staff to suggest this is not being addressed? I think it is safe to say they are working with him on a daily basis, as well as other players, to shore their weaknesses up.

I mean lets be real here though, Larry has always taken time to really gel or pick something up. He missed an entire season for the most part.

As a previous poster said, cannot remember off the top of my head, if we can find a substitute defensive Center to take his place, I would be perfectly find moving Larry. The one player that intrigues me is Roy Hibbert, maybe he can be had for a package of Middleton, Henson, and X? Then we can look to move Sanders along with maybe Dudley or Mayo and get more help long term at guard?

Idk, a lot of possible paths for this team to take. Every day the team is likely discussing what the strengths and weaknesses of Jabari and Giannis are, and are going to build a core group of guys that fits their strengths while strengthening their weaknesses. Right now, I think Giannis and Parker would excel as a fast paced team who crashes the boards and plays transition basketball. This would mean that we need mobile big men who can box out, and at least one big who can shoot the 3 ball.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Post#16 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:49 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Larry two years ago was much more coordinated and skilled offensively.

Nah he was just as uncoordinated, he just had a couple guys in Monta and Brandon who could get him the ball in better places when they chose to.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#17 » by emunney » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:03 am

Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,569

Post#18 » by JayMKE » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:09 am

It would be dumb as hell to trade Sanders now, you guys will be thanking god we have him when Jabari and Giannis are ready to take this thing to the next level in a year or two. Larry is probably still adjusting to the goggles and gets the ball too much in situations he shouldn't be in, Sanders' offense should be limited to dunks so having him work with back to the basket seems like a bad idea. There would be nothing more tragic wasting a prime years of Jabari and Giannis because we have Brian Skinnner as our center.
FREE GIANNIS
CannondaleF400
Rookie
And1: 422

Post#19 » by CannondaleF400 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:09 am

I love when he does his killer crossover and we see one of 3 things:

- step back brick
- travel
- drive and turnover
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#20 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:14 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:Larry two years ago was much more coordinated and skilled offensively.

Nah he was just as uncoordinated, he just had a couple guys in Monta and Brandon who could get him the ball in better places when they chose to.

That works for the offense but doesn't explain the foul rate going back to normal and the lack of rebounds.

He had a career contract year. He's still got value to us and other teams. But I want to get this tank back on track and add one or two more young prospect guys that Kidd will be forced to play.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks