Some Under 25/23 player rankings.

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,998

Re: Some Under 25/23 player rankings. 

Post#41 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:17 pm

breakchains wrote:Also, reading the comments of respected NBA guys (Curry and Kyrie, really?!), a shrewd GM (e.g. Hinkie) would fleece the crap out of some team with Knight right now. It is there for the taking. We will let this opportunity slip, however, and then look back on it and wonder why we didn't.

This is why I like Bill Simmons list better, the "Would you trade player x for player y" and if not, that guy is ranked higher"

I think with the first list from basketball insiders, the writer hurts his credibility by not even having Wiggins on his list. Then on the ESPN list should in no way have Jabari ranked 25th. I could see 12-18 range, since the ESPN list goes out to age 25 and takes in guys like Cousins and John Wall, but 25th?
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#42 » by Newz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:21 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Newz wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:He's the top player in the league right now.

I honestly didn't even think this was a debate. Apparently quite a few people on here disagree though.

Yea, man, he's the best player right now. He isn't better than prime LeBron, which is what people disagree with you on.

I take Davis over prime LeBron. People talk about how bad LeBron's teams were (and they were really awful), but I think Davis' team is worse. Asik is a solid big and Anderson is a good bench guy... but the rest of their roster is just overpaid scrubs who usually do more to hurt the team than to help it. They'd be better off just surrounding him with Asik and three jump shooters.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,948

Post#43 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:24 pm

For the hell of it I just looked it up:

Allen Iverson career minutes: 40,787
LeBron James career minutes: 40,753

Iverson was broken down and done by the time he hit the number of minutes James is at. I definitely think there's something to those who think James is no longer there physically.
Newz
Banned User

Post#44 » by Newz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:25 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:For the hell of it I just looked it up:

Allen Iverson career minutes: 40,787
LeBron James career minutes: 40,753

Iverson was broken down and done by the time he hit the number of minutes James is at. I definitely think there's something to those who think James is no longer there physically.

Wouldn't shock me. There is a reason LeBron has been calling to play less minutes I'm sure.

Also a good reminder why Kidd may be taking it easy on Parker and Giannis minutes wise. For some guys the wear and tear from minutes played on your legs means more than the players age itself.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#45 » by LUKE23 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:26 pm

I don't like that comparison simply because of the body type difference (Iverson at his frame took a massive beating) and Iverson also didn't take care of himself off the court (lack of conditioning, lots of reports of massive alcohol abuse). Not that I disagree LeBron has lost a step, he has.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,554

Post#46 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:43 pm

Newz wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Newz wrote:
I honestly didn't even think this was a debate. Apparently quite a few people on here disagree though.

Yea, man, he's the best player right now. He isn't better than prime LeBron, which is what people disagree with you on.

I take Davis over prime LeBron. People talk about how bad LeBron's teams were (and they were really awful), but I think Davis' team is worse. Asik is a solid big and Anderson is a good bench guy... but the rest of their roster is just overpaid scrubs who usually do more to hurt the team than to help it. They'd be better off just surrounding him with Asik and three jump shooters.

Lebron is in his prime right now. His 2012-13 season was arguably the best statistical season in NBA history (27/8/7/2 on 65% TS). Even if you take their age 21 seasons (31/7/6 on 57% TS), it's still not much of a debate knowing what Lebron has become. There isn't a player on the planet who impacts the game in as many ways as Lebron does.
Newz
Banned User

Post#47 » by Newz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Lebron is in his prime right now. His 2012-13 season was arguably the best statistical season in NBA history (27/8/7/2 on 65% TS). Even if you take their age 21 seasons (31/7/6 on 57% TS), it's still not much of a debate knowing what Lebron has become. There isn't a player on the planet who impacts the game in as many ways as Lebron does.

Yeah, besides Davis. He impacts the game in every way including being an extremely good interior defender.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:47 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Newz wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Lebron is in his prime right now. His 2012-13 season was arguably the best statistical season in NBA history (27/8/7/2 on 65% TS). Even if you take their age 21 seasons (31/7/6 on 57% TS), it's still not much of a debate knowing what Lebron has become. There isn't a player on the planet who impacts the game in as many ways as Lebron does.

What? No.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:49 pm

Newz wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Lebron is in his prime right now. His 2012-13 season was arguably the best statistical season in NBA history (27/8/7/2 on 65% TS). Even if you take their age 21 seasons (31/7/6 on 57% TS), it's still not much of a debate knowing what Lebron has become. There isn't a player on the planet who impacts the game in as many ways as Lebron does.

Yeah, besides Davis. He impacts the game in every way including being an extremely good interior defender.

Nah, he really isn't. He will be, though.

Davis is awesome but you're really overestimating his overall impact.
Newz
Banned User

Post#50 » by Newz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:00 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Newz wrote:

He really isn't based on what?

If I'm overestimating his overall impact... who else has a bigger impact on the game right now?
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#51 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:00 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
Newz wrote:

What? No.

On the tail end of it, yeah. He had his best efficiency year of his career last season (27/7/6 on a ridiculous 65% TS). As quick and explosive as he used to be? Nah, but Jordan was also a better player at age 29 even though he wasn't as explosive as he used to be.

Newz wrote:

Davis is playing the best right now and is MVP choice numero uno, but are we really letting current 20 game sample sizes dictate who the best player in the league is? If so, you better be ready to declare Steph Curry better than Lebron also.
mcfromage
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#52 » by mcfromage » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:01 pm

Newz wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Newz wrote:

Jrue is legit.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#53 » by CanadaBucks » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:04 pm

mcfromage wrote:
Newz wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Jrue is legit.

imately average to below average as a PG
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:05 pm

Newz wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Newz wrote:

He really isn't based on what?

If I'm overestimating his overall impact... who else has a bigger impact on the game right now?

What do you want to use?

Team defense? 22nd in the league.
Opponent field goal percentage at the rim? 30th amongst players who get at least five FGA nightly. Bogut is #1. Davis's teammate Asik is 8th.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#55 » by humanrefutation » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:10 pm

tydett wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Don't really disagree with anything written there.

Random thought in a no-way-would-it-ever-happen-but-its-fun-to-speculate kind of way:

Pelicans call the Bucks. Offer Anthony Davis for Parker and Giannis. Do you make that deal?

The second that they say "We'll give you Anthony Davis for..." I say yes. Doesn't matter what follows, whether its Giannis, Parker, both, MBBOT returning to RealGM, Brian Skinner, sneakypete, or BuckPack. Davis is a legit stud.

:lol:
Newz
Banned User

Post#56 » by Newz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:11 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:What do you want to use?

Opponent field goal percentage at the rim? 30th amongst players who get at least five FGA nightly. Bogut is #1. Davis's teammate Asik is 8th.

I will take Davis to protect the rim over Bogut and Asik, even if those two statistics don't back me up on it. Team defense is a curious one to bring up considering you admit his team has the 8th ranked guy in the league at FG% at the rim and Davis is the league's top shot blocker...

You think that would point to the other three guys being completely terrible on D, wouldn't you? :D
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#57 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm not sure what to make of these rankings either.

On one hand they list Giannis so high based on his potential, yet Jabari is below Draymond Green? I'm not seeing the correlation....
Dimitraa
Banned User
And1: 115

Post#58 » by Dimitraa » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:15 pm

So the Bucks have 3 of the top 25 prospects under 25 and the thread somehow turns into a Lebron vs AD debate.Can we focus on our guys some more? :)
Newz
Banned User

Post#59 » by Newz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:16 pm

Dimitraa wrote:So the Bucks have 3 of the top 25 prospects under 25 and the thread somehow turns into a Lebron vs AD debate.Can we focus on our guys some more? :)

Giannis and Jabari are awesome. Brandon Knight is okay.

That's all you need to know. ;)
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Newz wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:What do you want to use?

I will take Davis to protect the rim over Bogut and Asik, even if those two statistics don't back me up on it. Team defense is a curious one to bring up considering you admit his team has the 8th ranked guy in the league at FG% at the rim and Davis is the league's top shot blocker...

You think that would point to the other three guys being completely terrible on D, wouldn't you? :D

Yea, imagine how bad they'd be without Asik. Oh, yea, we can just go back a year when they were 27th in the league when Davis lead the league in blocks too.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks