ImageImage

Henson - what is his future with the Bucks?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Henson - what is his future with the Bucks? 

Post#1 » by Village Idiot » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:42 am

Portland fan here intrigued by Johh Henson as a good fit next to Chris Kaman as our back-up PF. He seems to have fallen out of favor and not having a clear role this season with Sanders firmly back and filling the shot-blocking role and Parker/Antetukombo and Middleton ahead of him on the depth chart.

Is he available? What would you want for him? I can't imagine he's worth much but please correct me if I'm wrong.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,776

Re: Henson - what is his future with the Bucks 

Post#2 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:53 am

He's not a power forward that's for sure.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,722

Post#3 » by AussieBuck » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:56 am

Yep he's a C. If he isn't worth much we might as well keep him and see if his defense comes around if we can't get him in a good package deal.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Village Idiot
General Manager

Post#4 » by Village Idiot » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:14 am

What, in your opinions, makes him a center rather than a PF? He is really light and weak for a center.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#5 » by AussieBuck » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:24 am

Village Idiot wrote:What, in your opinions, makes him a center rather than a PF? He is really light and weak for a center.

Every single part of his game other than what he sees when he looks at the scales. He's also got bigger every season starting from a very low base. He'll end up fat . In any case he doesn't have a viable jumper because he shoots with effectively his off hand. All of his touch is in his 'opposite' left hand, I'm guessing he got drilled hard by a coach in off hand post scoring before he developed any touch in his original right hand. He won't even shoot a 3 foot hook with what is his jumpshooting hand, he'll turn back and go left hand every time. His strength on offense is his low post left hook game which is surprisingly effective. On D his strength is his shot block length and timing but he gets lost the further you take him from the basket. So he's as straight forward a C as there is. All of his advantages are at the rim, he's pretty useless on both ends away from it.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Village Idiot
General Manager

Re: Henson - what is his future with the Bucks? 

Post#6 » by Village Idiot » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:40 am

Interesting. I always regarded his defensive footspeed and defensive abilities away from the basket to be among his strengths and therefore more suited to being a PF defensively. I am aware that his offense is quite limited but that is why I think he could be solid in a limited role alongside either Kaman in the 2nd unit or Aldrige, both of whom are outstanding offensive players so scoring on dumps or put-backs would be the offensive expectations for him.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#7 » by AussieBuck » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:46 am

He looked good in a college zone I guess because he doesn't keep up with the game at this point away from the basket in the NBA.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#8 » by Badgerlander » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:19 pm

I agree that he would be a good fit next to Aldridge and Kaman offensively and he'd be a better rim protector then either of them as well. Aldridge is a good PnR defender away from the basket anyway. Henson is a very good per minute rebounder as well. We'd take McCollum for him.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks