Re: Jabari Parker - Jabari at cut 255, ready to go pg. 108 

Post#2381 » by Badgerlander » Mon Oct 5, 2015 9:31 pm

LedZepp007 wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:
LedZepp007 wrote:6'9 250 I think he can play small ball 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Monroe shows what you do with a small ball 5

[img]https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/monroe2.gif?w=1000[/img]

To be fair, that's Zeller, and that's not small ball. Also, think about the matchup problems Jabari could create in limited minutes at the 5.

Cody is 6'10' 240, close enough for me, but regardless I don't really want Jabari banging against any real size for a while. The reason guys like Draymond and Tristan work as small ball 5s is because they can defend bigs AND rip them on offense. I don't think Jabari is ready on D for that yet. The point that I was trying to make is that it doesn't matter in the end because we have Monroe and he will punish a smaller guy in the post and make the other team go big and there aren't a lot of bigs that are going to stop him either.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,718

Post#2382 » by AussieBuck » Mon Oct 5, 2015 10:13 pm

Jabari's biggest weakness is his defensive awareness. Playing him at C is the last thing anyone should want.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Post#2383 » by Prez » Mon Oct 5, 2015 10:51 pm

iirc Jabari said he had serious trouble guarding 4s last year. I don't know why instead of getting down to an explosive 235-240 and playing at a more natural position, he wanted to bulk up to 255+ and force himself into PF. Just think things would be better for everyone involved if they just developed Giannis into the beastly two-way 4 everyone can envision him being, and let Jabari develop into one of the most imposing 3s in the league. Offensively they can really do whatever they want to, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just a little disappointed that they're not going all out in developing Giannis as a shot blocker/rim protector and defensive 4.
RW23
Junior
And1: 195

Post#2384 » by RW23 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 10:59 pm

With Giannis saying he doesn't want to put on much more weight at about 222 and Jabari purposefully bulking up this summer, it certainly seems like the plan is for Jabari to guard more 4s than 3s.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#2385 » by crkone » Mon Oct 5, 2015 11:37 pm

Jabari couldn't guard because he played defense for the first time in his life. He physically can keep up. He just needs to learn technique.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#2386 » by Dcebucks11 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 11:39 pm

Jabari at the 5 is a terrible idea
RealBucksFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 176

Post#2387 » by RealBucksFan » Tue Oct 6, 2015 1:48 am

Jabari is a big dude. He had trouble keeping up with wings last season and that would only be worse this seasons. I could see him playing SF, but I think it is unlikely to happen if the transition doesn't happen now - few players move up a position as they age, most move down. Jabari has the body type of a PF. And I do think him/Giannis could play some small ball five for limited minutes, especially as they get older.

Few people lose weight as they get older. Expecting Jabari to end up as lighter than he was as a teenager, before he began seriously lifting and gaining muscle, is silly. There never was any chance that would happen.
LedZepp007
General Manager
And1: 3,523

Post#2388 » by LedZepp007 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 11:07 am

Jabari did look better at the 3 last year. If he would learn how to defend the post, he could destroy 4's on offense. Or 5's lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Bulls are the absolute worst.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#2389 » by Aaron It Out » Tue Oct 6, 2015 12:20 pm

Parker played the "5" last year. Can't remember the lineups (something like Marshall/Knight/Middleton/Dudley/Parker), but no reason to think he won't this year. I say this all the time, but people on this board get way too hung up on positions for this team. Kidd has been pretty open about not caring about traditional positioning when you have versatile players like we do.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,718

Post#2390 » by AussieBuck » Tue Oct 6, 2015 12:31 pm

It being an awful idea is the reason it probably won't happen outside of maybe offense only end of quarter situations. There's a difference between not having traditional offensive roles set to position and the reality that someone is going to be the center on defense. It isn't very likely to be worst help defender of available options.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#2391 » by LUKE23 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 6:19 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:Parker played the "5" last year. Can't remember the lineups (something like Marshall/Knight/Middleton/Dudley/Parker), but no reason to think he won't this year. I say this all the time, but people on this board get way too hung up on positions for this team. Kidd has been pretty open about not caring about traditional positioning when you have versatile players like we do.

There is "getting hung up on positions" and there is suggesting someone should play a position they have no business playing. Parker at 5 falls into the latter category.
Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Post#2392 » by Brapman » Tue Oct 6, 2015 8:14 pm

Because of his injury, he comes into his second year quite inexperienced. As he's eased back into the lineup and increases his PT, you want him playing the position you expect him to learn and excel at. He's also not a defensive savant. Just have him learn one position and learn to bust his hump and play with better technique.

I think the guy you guys can move around more is Giannis. In his third season, he might be mentally ready to expand his roles on the team.
LedZepp007
General Manager

Post#2393 » by LedZepp007 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 8:20 pm

Brapman wrote:Because of his injury, he comes into his second year quite inexperienced. As he's eased back into the lineup and increases his PT, you want him playing the position you expect him to learn and excel at. He's also not a defensive savant. Just have him learn one position and learn to bust his hump and play with better technique.

I think the guy you guys can move around more is Giannis. In his third season, he might be mentally ready to expand his roles on the team.

Why do you keep coming to our board?

Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Post#2394 » by Brapman » Tue Oct 6, 2015 9:34 pm

Because I like to talk BB.

Why do you come to your board?

(BTW, if you care to look at the content of my posts, you'd actually see I'm legit, not a troll, actually like Jabari a lot, and am earnestly discussing strengths and weaknesses of every team, and looking to the future of how their rosters will be constructed. If you just wanna do the airy/fairy homer posts where all is sunshine and current rosters are obviously ready for championships, then you should ignore me.)
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#2395 » by emunney » Tue Oct 6, 2015 9:57 pm

I mean, there are five guys on the court in our system and they all have to do everything defensively to varying degrees. The problem with having Parker as the biggest guy on the court is that he's not very big and most teams are going to absolutely kill you around the basket, and we don't have enough shooting on the other end to really press that advantage. You go small if it gives you advantages and particularly if it means you're putting your best 5 out there. If Parker is our biggest guy, that's a weak look for us, and it's not about Parker, it's about who the other guys would necessarily not be.

It's not about the learning curve because that's going to be basically the same regardless -- role versatility is inherent in what we do defensively. He's going to have to get better at processing information and translating it into what Sweeney and Kidd want to see.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
LedZepp007
General Manager

Post#2396 » by LedZepp007 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 11:12 pm

I'd dig super short bursts of Parker/Giannis/Middleton/Mayo/Vasquez. They couldn't defend much, but no one would be able to guard that either.

Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#2397 » by Aaron It Out » Wed Oct 7, 2015 2:33 am

LUKE23 wrote:
Aaron It Out wrote:Parker played the "5" last year. Can't remember the lineups (something like Marshall/Knight/Middleton/Dudley/Parker), but no reason to think he won't this year. I say this all the time, but people on this board get way too hung up on positions for this team. Kidd has been pretty open about not caring about traditional positioning when you have versatile players like we do.

There is "getting hung up on positions" and there is suggesting someone should play a position they have no business playing. Parker at 5 falls into the latter category.

Well, all I really said is that Kidd played Parker at the 5 last year. I didn't say that Parker was made for the 5 or that it's a position he should play. Just that he does and he will, and that I don't think it's that big of a deal :D
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
Garbs_7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,582

Post#2398 » by Garbs_7 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:33 am

Bit of a shame, but more than happy we are being cautious and he isn't being rushed back in any way.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jeff_maillet/status/656312513257189376[/tweet]
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,120

Post#2399 » by Shaffty » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:02 am

LedZepp007 wrote:
Brapman wrote:Because of his injury, he comes into his second year quite inexperienced. As he's eased back into the lineup and increases his PT, you want him playing the position you expect him to learn and excel at. He's also not a defensive savant. Just have him learn one position and learn to bust his hump and play with better technique.

Why do you keep coming to our board?

This was a good post tho???
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,120

Post#2400 » by Shaffty » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:03 am

asd

Return to Milwaukee Bucks