ImageImage

2015 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: 2015 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#121 » by Nebula1 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 6:39 pm

I'm all about Archer right now and haven't started HOC.

I should have started Archer several seasons ago, but oh well. Danger zone.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,672

Post#122 » by jimmybones » Tue Mar 3, 2015 5:40 am

jimmybones wrote:I just finished Sons of Anarchy, I haven't seen much discussion of it in this or the last thread. I know it got pretty unrealistic and cheesy. I'm not saying it's the best quality show, not even in my top 5. But, damn, that last episode was pretty damn emotional. You pretty much knew what was going to happen, and a lot of times that ruins the surprise. For me, the power that knowing held was seeing how helpless everyone was in stopping it. The scenes with Niro, Wendy, his kids, the club....pretty touching episode for me.

......dang.......?
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,729

Post#123 » by DanoMac » Tue Mar 3, 2015 7:03 am

humanrefutation wrote:Binge-watched House of Cards this weekend. Really interesting season. Thoughts under the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:
1. I absolutely expected Claire or Doug to kill themselves towards the end. I thought Doug was going to kill himself and have Rachel bury him when he found out she changed identities and he couldn't actually kill "Rachel Posner." I thought Claire was going to kill herself after Frank tore her apart in the oval. I absolutely thought the season would end with her body hanging from the ceiling of her bedroom or something like that. Instead, their endings were a bit more conventional, so-to-speak. Not that I'm really complaining, because I enjoy watching both of those characters.

2. I thought Petrov was an excellent character this season and I enjoyed his interactions with the Underwoods. He's even more calculating and ruthless than they are.

3. I'm really glad the whole Washington Post angle was eliminated this season.

4. I really didn't like the Tom Yates angle.

5. I have heard a few friends complain about how many plot developments just seemingly ended - The Jordan Valley initiative, America Works, Claire as UN Ambassador, Mendoza (that was really weird how he disappeared like that mid-season), Tom Yates and his book, etc. I get that. But, the one theme that really came out this season is that this story was really all about Frank and Claire and their relationship to each other. Everything really just came back to them. Their lives. Their ambitions. Their relationship with one another. The way the season ended underscored that.

6. I think we've got 13 more episodes. That'll give us 52 total, the same as in a deck of cards. Thus, I feel that season 4 is going to be about that House Of Cards tumbling down.

Spoiler:
Agree with you about Stamper, thought he was gonna off himself. Claire is too important to the show to do that, and it would have been too unrealistic for the first lady to hang herself.

I saw Spacey say that he thinks the show is going to go 12 seasons total. I hope there's more to come, there's a lot of potential yet. Good season though.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#124 » by humanrefutation » Tue Mar 3, 2015 3:17 pm

DanoMac wrote:
Spoiler:
Agree with you about Stamper, thought he was gonna off himself. Claire is too important to the show to do that, and it would have been too unrealistic for the first lady to hang herself.

I saw Spacey say that he thinks the show is going to go 12 seasons total. I hope there's more to come, there's a lot of potential yet. Good season though.

Spoiler:
I agree that Claire is really important to the story. I'm glad she didn't commit suicide. I just thought that with the buildup over the season, something drastic was going to happen with Claire at the end. Divorce would technically qualify, I guess, but I hope they don't just scuttle that cliffhanger in episode 1 of Season 4 by having them get back together (again!). Not because I don't love the interplay between Claire and Frank, but because the will-she-or-wont-she-leave-him subplot is getting tired at this point.

I don't know if the series has enough ammo to go for twelve seasons. I can't really think of too many of these subscription-channel shows going for that long (I'm counting Netflix with HBO/Showtime/etc) because they're generally pretty expensive to make.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#125 » by emunney » Tue Mar 3, 2015 10:01 pm

Two weeks to Communit-dean Season 6.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#126 » by Badgerlander » Wed Mar 4, 2015 6:18 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Avengers/status/573184417834786816[/tweet]
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,879

Post#127 » by Jez2983 » Fri Mar 6, 2015 12:15 pm

Watching Empire at the moment. Premiere in Aus was last weekend.

Haven't seen you guys talking about it, but then I pretty much live under a rock. Seems popular in the states, and I'm enjoying it.

Anyone watch?
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#128 » by Ill-yasova » Sat Mar 7, 2015 5:07 am

I just rented the movie Whiplash tonight and I thought it was absolutely incredible. Teller and Simmons were both unbelievable in this movie. Right off the top of my head I can't think of two separate performances in a recent movie that were this damn good.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#129 » by blazza18 » Sat Mar 7, 2015 5:38 am

Ill-yasova wrote:I just rented the movie Whiplash tonight and I thought it was absolutely incredible. Teller and Simmons were both unbelievable in this movie. Right off the top of my head I can't think of two separate performances in a recent movie that were this damn good.

Agreed. I don't really understand how Teller wasn't up for any awards. Both were phenomenal.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,818

Post#130 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Mar 7, 2015 7:20 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Banshee had the best episode of TV in a year two weeks ago, then lapped it tonight.

I've been watching it from the beginning over the past 2 weeks. Just finished Episode 5 of Season 3(I think this is the one you were referring to with that comment).

Spoiler:
Nooooo Siobhan! Why? **** **** **** no no no

You know a show is good when you are legitimately upset like I am about that episode. Like, they telegraphed it so much and you know she pretty much had to go, can't have the main character settling down into a happy relationship with a well adjusted person who knows all his secrets. All that and I still was praying for the last 15-20 minutes of that episode that she would make it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#131 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 7, 2015 7:28 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Banshee had the best episode of TV in a year two weeks ago, then lapped it tonight.

I've been watching it from the beginning over the past 2 weeks. Just finished Episode 5 of Season 3(I think this is the one you were referring to with that comment).

Spoiler:
Nooooo Siobhan! Why? **** **** **** no no no

You know a show is good when you are legitimately upset like I am about that episode. Like, they telegraphed it so much and you know she pretty much had to go, can't have the main character settling down into a happy relationship with a well adjusted person who knows all his secrets. All that and I still was praying for the last 15-20 minutes of that episode that she would make it.

Spoiler:
Yup. Basically my exact reaction. Saw it coming and still made me yell at my TV.

It's still on an incredible run. Season finale next week.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 7, 2015 8:02 pm

Also, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix is fantastic.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,818

Post#133 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Mar 8, 2015 8:41 am

All caught up on Banshee. I'm pretty sure Gordon has to die in the finale, at least I hope it's him and not Job.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Mar 8, 2015 2:23 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:All caught up on Banshee. I'm pretty sure Gordon has to die in the finale, at least I hope it's him and not Job.

Spoiler:
My Most Likely Death List:

10 - Hood
9 - Kai
8 - Brock
7 - Burton
6 - Carrie
5 - Sugar
4 - Job
3 - Gordon
2b - Rebecca
2a - Emily
1 - Stowe

I'm gonna burn things if Job is the one to bite it, but I think the bolded ones are done-zo.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#135 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:16 am

Great episode of better call Saul tonight.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Re: Re: 2015 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#136 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:29 am

0BobLobLaw0 wrote:Great episode of better call Saul tonight.
yeah was breaking bad level good tonight. Was a little skeptical the show would be good but it's been ecellent. This group really know how to make a quality product.

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM Forums mobile app
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#137 » by DH34Phan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:26 pm

Worst Jeopardy performance I've ever seen. Never seen only 1 contestant left for Final Jeopardy.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#138 » by El Duderino » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:56 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Binge-watched House of Cards this weekend. Really interesting season. Thoughts under the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:
1. I absolutely expected Claire or Doug to kill themselves towards the end. I thought Doug was going to kill himself and have Rachel bury him when he found out she changed identities and he couldn't actually kill "Rachel Posner." I thought Claire was going to kill herself after Frank tore her apart in the oval. I absolutely thought the season would end with her body hanging from the ceiling of her bedroom or something like that. Instead, their endings were a bit more conventional, so-to-speak. Not that I'm really complaining, because I enjoy watching both of those characters.

2. I thought Petrov was an excellent character this season and I enjoyed his interactions with the Underwoods. He's even more calculating and ruthless than they are.

3. I'm really glad the whole Washington Post angle was eliminated this season.

4. I really didn't like the Tom Yates angle.

5. I have heard a few friends complain about how many plot developments just seemingly ended - The Jordan Valley initiative, America Works, Claire as UN Ambassador, Mendoza (that was really weird how he disappeared like that mid-season), Tom Yates and his book, etc. I get that. But, the one theme that really came out this season is that this story was really all about Frank and Claire and their relationship to each other. Everything really just came back to them. Their lives. Their ambitions. Their relationship with one another. The way the season ended underscored that.

6. I think we've got 13 more episodes. That'll give us 52 total, the same as in a deck of cards. Thus, I feel that season 4 is going to be about that House Of Cards tumbling down.

Spoiler:
I just finished watching and it never even crossed my mind at all that either Doug or Claire would kill themselves. What made you think so, especially with Claire?

It's weird, but for whatever reason, i kinda guessed near exactly what Stamper would do. As he was digging the grave, i had a feeling that he wouldn't be able to go through with it given he clearly cared for Rachel. When he first changed his mind, i thought he'd let her go and drop her off somewhere. When he just let her out of the van though and the camera panned on her walking one way with him driving the other way, i was thinking that he might turn around and run her over as his deep down political desires and self preservation would overcome his feelings for Rachel.

Claire is to strong to ever kill herself. When she had that scene though where Spacey went off on her, i didn't know how she would respond. Either buy into his show of strength/power or be further alienated. Their relationship is so nuanced. Well, when when they showed her looking dressed and ready to go, i thought she responded to his show of power by agreeing to go with him. so i was a bit surprised when she said she was leaving him.

As for Yates, i liked his character and don't think he's done with. My gut feeling is he'll be apart of the next season as he refuses to just cancel writing the book and he has info Underwood would rather stay left unsaid. Plus, that girl he was seeing hates Underwood also. Maybe they combine together to try and bring him down.

Petrov was awesome.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,784

Post#139 » by VooDoo7 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:16 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:I just rented the movie Whiplash tonight and I thought it was absolutely incredible. Teller and Simmons were both unbelievable in this movie. Right off the top of my head I can't think of two separate performances in a recent movie that were this damn good.

Just watched this last night. Super intense.

Also, who else is watching Last Man On Earth? I'm really digging it. January Jones looks sooo good in it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#140 » by humanrefutation » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:07 pm

El Duderino wrote:
Spoiler:
I just finished watching and it never even crossed my mind at all that either Doug or Claire would kill themselves. What made you think so, especially with Claire?

It's weird, but for whatever reason, i kinda guessed near exactly what Stamper would do. As he was digging the grave, i had a feeling that he wouldn't be able to go through with it given he clearly cared for Rachel. When he first changed his mind, i thought he'd let her go and drop her off somewhere. When he just let her out of the van though and the camera panned on her walking one way with him driving the other way, i was thinking that he might turn around and run her over as his deep down political desires and self preservation would overcome his feelings for Rachel.

Claire is to strong to ever kill herself. When she had that scene though where Spacey went off on her, i didn't know how she would respond. Either buy into his show of strength/power or be further alienated. Their relationship is so nuanced. Well, when when they showed her looking dressed and ready to go, i thought she responded to his show of power by agreeing to go with him. so i was a bit surprised when she said she was leaving him.

As for Yates, i liked his character and don't think he's done with. My gut feeling is he'll be apart of the next season as he refuses to just cancel writing the book and he has info Underwood would rather stay left unsaid. Plus, that girl he was seeing hates Underwood also. Maybe they combine together to try and bring him down.

Petrov was awesome.

Spoiler:
With Claire, I just thought her plot this season was heading towards a fiery crash - everything that she touched pretty much crumbled, whether it would be her nomination for UN Ambassador, her role in facilitating the death of the Navy Seals, her resignation as Ambassador, the collapse of the peace plan, and the creeping realization that she had been backseated by her husband throughout her life, culminating with that awful fight with Frank in the oval. There was something about the look in her eyes after he threatened her that showed real fear. And, after the suicide earlier in the season, I thought that was foreshadowing her own demise in a truly shocking ending to the season. You're right that she is strong (my favorite trait of hers), so I'm glad she didn't kill herself. But when predicting a season finale, I figured we'd have a shocking ending. That would have counted. Her leaving him? Not as surprising.

With Doug, he had been quite a depressed figure this season - being cut out of the loop, struggling with Rachel (his obsession with her, her death, and discovering she was alive afterwards), etc. I didn't think he'd actually kill Rachel. I didn't think he could. I thought he was in love with her and wouldn't be able to go through with it (especially after she told him she had a new identity). He also didn't want to go back to the one other person he was obsessed with, Frank Underwood, and admit he failed again after Frank gave him another chance. So, I figured he'd just kill himself where no one would ever find him, in the middle of that desert.

But then, he just went ahead and killed her anyway, which made all of the stuff about his obsession with her seem a bit overdramatic in hindsight. I like his character, but I didn't expect him to survive the season.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks