ImageImage

2015 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

rarjake
Junior
And1: 44

Re: 2015 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#941 » by rarjake » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:30 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:God damn, Mr. Robot. What a perfect show.

yes third to last episode of the season, was one of the best episodes i have ever seen.
It literally blew my mind, it really did mind **** the $hiT out of you.

I really hope we get some answers on Tyrell and his wife, and who all in the Fsociety is real, and how it really got started.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#942 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:21 am

FrieAaron wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Is it just me, or are the vast majority of big-time movies coming out remakes and sequels? Is Hollywood running out of ideas, or are studio execs too spineless to try something new and original?

I don't think anyone's running out of ideas. The problem is people are rewarding this behavior by buying tickets to the latest Jurassic Park and Marvel movies and not seeing films like "Ex Machina," "The Gift," "It Follows," or "Me Earl and the Dying Girl." Studios have no financial incentive to not just keep pumping out sequels and remakes.

Piracy has an effect on this too, I read. In order to recoup some of the profits from dwindling DVD sales, a lot of studios are focusing on producing films that translate well to other cultures and/or are already popular and thus easy to market in international theaters. This partly explains remakes and sequels going into overdrive lately, especially with expensive summer movies.

Before internet piracy, smaller, more unusual films were more viable because every movie a studio produced made more money.

But it's also how the studio system works- executives are rewarded handsomely, or they're fired, basically for how well they can predict the future (if a movie makes money), so anything that's got a ready-made brand or is an already proven success is the safe choice, and with movies less profitable, the margin for error for an exec is even less, etc etc.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,960

Post#943 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:45 am

Top three shows (I think, might be forgetting) in the last calendar year:

1 - Banshee
2 - Mr. Robot
3 - Hannibal

Banshee made the leap in the third season. It was almost perfect.

Everyone knows by now how good Mr. Robot has been.

Hannibal started a bit slow this season but the Red Dragon storyline had been incredible.

What else has been exceptional?
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#944 » by humanrefutation » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:10 am

Maybe it's just me, but as a former WWE fan, but this made me flip my **** when I saw this on deadspin.
Spoiler:
http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/dudley-boyz-return-to-wwe-and-you-better-believe-there-1726269718
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#945 » by Max Green » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:06 am

I just had to click the link. :( I haven't watched Raw yet, thanks for the spoiler.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#946 » by emunney » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:17 am

I thought Fear the Walking Dead was good, although what a **** show of a title. The kid who plays Nick is going to be a giant star.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Re: RE: Re: 2015 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#947 » by humanrefutation » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:21 am

Max Green wrote:I just had to click the link. :( I haven't watched Raw yet, thanks for the spoiler.

Aw man, my bad. Put it under a spoiler tag for others.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,229

Post#948 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:50 am

I thought Fear was decent too. It moved slowly, which was fine for a first ep. From what I read there will be just 6 episodes this season and 13 next season. If it goes beyond 2 years it will be 16, split 8/8 in fall/spring like the original.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#949 » by BUCKnation » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:47 pm

emunney wrote:I thought Fear the Walking Dead was good, although what a **** show of a title. The kid who plays Nick is going to be a giant star.

Agreed on both counts, dude reminds me of James Franco.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#950 » by El Duderino » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:00 am

rarjake wrote:

yes third to last episode of the season, was one of the best episodes i have ever seen.
It literally blew my mind, it really did mind **** the $hiT out of you.

I really hope we get some answers on Tyrell and his wife, and who all in the Fsociety is real, and how it really got started.

I just caught up with the most recent episode of the show and am quite impressed. Very much looking forward to what i hope is a great season finale. Who would have thought a network like USA would create a show this great.

BTW, thanks to this forum. I hadn't even heard of Mr Robot until i read about it on here.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#951 » by El Duderino » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:15 am

emunney wrote:I thought Fear the Walking Dead was good, although what a **** show of a title. The kid who plays Nick is going to be a giant star.

I thought it was pretty good also and was glad to see something showing the start of what brought about the zombies. My one minor beef with Walking Dead was that it started awhile after the zombie plague had already taken over pretty much the whole country.

As for the kid playing Nick, i wasn't as impressed as you were with him. Not that i thought his playing of that character was bad overall, but there were a time or two where i remember while watching that i felt he was a little over-dramatic than needed, but i can't recall right now exactly when i thought that given my memory tends to be getting worse and worse.

I did like Cliff Curtis cast as the stepfather. I've liked him since his great bit part in Training Day as the gang member ready to shoot Ethan Hawke in the bathtub.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#952 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:48 pm

**** that guy. One episode in and I'm actively rooting for the zombies every time Nick is on the screen. He somehow immediately managed to put himself in the company of Early Carl, Lori, Andrea, and Dale in the course of one episode.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#953 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:15 pm

El Duderino wrote:

I thought it was pretty good also and was glad to see something showing the start of what brought about the zombies. My one minor beef with Walking Dead was that it started awhile after the zombie plague had already taken over pretty much the whole country.

As for the kid playing Nick, i wasn't as impressed as you were with him. Not that i thought his playing of that character was bad overall, but there were a time or two where i remember while watching that i felt he was a little over-dramatic than needed, but i can't recall right now exactly when i thought that given my memory tends to be getting worse and worse.

I did like Cliff Curtis cast as the stepfather. I've liked him since his great bit part in Training Day as the gang member ready to shoot Ethan Hawke in the bathtub.

I liked that James Franco/Johnny Depp kid at the beginning, but the more whiney he got, I finally wished he'd be a zombie breakfast. Part of that is the writers' fault, and part is - the kid just doesn't have what it takes to be on that level. Overall, I was expecting a better pilot. They do have a talented cast, but they need to gell better. It's just 1 episode, so I'll give it time.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#954 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:58 pm

I'm kind of tempted to check out Fear the Walking Dead even though I bailed on the Walking Dead a couple of years ago. Where is the Walking Dead at currently, has it gotten better? Is it worth picking up again, especially now that I can netflix through some seasons?
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#955 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:58 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1E-ccxJIk[/youtube]
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#956 » by emunney » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:08 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:I'm kind of tempted to check out Fear the Walking Dead even though I bailed on the Walking Dead a couple of years ago. Where is the Walking Dead at currently, has it gotten better? Is it worth picking up again, especially now that I can netflix through some seasons?

Well, if you bailed on it because you didn't like it, I would say leave it at that even though I think it's gotten better and is pretty good. It's not like there's nothing else out there. You will probably still not like it.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#957 » by Max Green » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:04 pm

El Duderino wrote:
rarjake wrote:

BTW, thanks to this forum. I hadn't even heard of Mr Robot until i read about it on here.

Same here, I'm on episode 3 now. There's a bunch of shows that I wouldn't have watched if it wasn't for this thread.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,700

Post#958 » by jimmybones » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:41 am

I was really pleased with Bloodline. We got bored of it halfway through the season and gave up on it for a while but resumed and finished it today. It's so slow moving until the end but man, great writing, great acting by John and Danny's characters. I'm having a hard time deciding what to start next.

Anyone have any Amazon Prime show recommendations?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,960

Post#959 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:56 am

jimmybones wrote:I was really pleased with Bloodline. We got bored of it halfway through the season and gave up on it for a while but resumed and finished it today. It's so slow moving until the end but man, great writing, great acting by John and Danny's characters. I'm having a hard time deciding what to start next.

Anyone have any Amazon Prime show recommendations?

Hannibal. First two seasons are on there and the series (probably) finale was tonight. It's such an incredible show.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#960 » by blazza18 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:58 am

jimmybones wrote:Anyone have any Amazon Prime show recommendations?

I'm halfway through the first season of Bosch and have enjoyed it so far. Give it a go if you haven't.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks