ImageImage

2015 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

A Diddy2231
Analyst
And1: 106

Re: 2015 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#961 » by A Diddy2231 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:00 pm

Watched Lost all the way through for the first time. Good show but very disappointing last season and ending
Johnny wrote:You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Chip-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#962 » by Ill-yasova » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:37 am

blazza18 wrote:
jimmybones wrote:Anyone have any Amazon Prime show recommendations?

I'm halfway through the first season of Bosch and have enjoyed it so far. Give it a go if you haven't.

The Killing has it's ups and downs, but the last season of the show is one of the best I've ever seen. Transparent was a very good original drama that's definitely worth watching, and Catastrophe is also a very funny show that you can blow through in a couple of nights.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHkVZYK0rpQ[/youtube]
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#963 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:43 am

So I watched 'It Follows' this weekend and I don't really understand what all the fuss was about. It got rave reviews (at least, for a 'horror' movie). The premise was very intriguing, but good god was it boring as all hell. Nothing.happened.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#964 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:17 am

MikeIsGood wrote:So I watched 'It Follows' this weekend and I don't really understand what all the fuss was about. It got rave reviews (at least, for a 'horror' movie). The premise was very intriguing, but good god was it boring as all hell. Nothing.happened.

I thought it was cool that it focused on aspects of filmmaking not typically partt of the horror repretoire- beautifully shot, fairly well-defined character relationships, unusual and pretty score etc. It looks and feels like a Sofia Coppola movie or something.
But i agree; after the first act, there were no more good ideas. To me, it wasn't that nothing happened after the premise was established, it's just that it turned into an ordinary horror movie after a really promising start.
I'll definitely be looking for that writer/directors next movie though.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#965 » by Badgerlander » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:14 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDR8b1SpoSc[/youtube]

LOVE the books, hope the series is decent
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,002

Post#966 » by humanrefutation » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:54 pm

Straight Outta Compton was pretty good. Loved the music. Ice Cube's son, who played Ice Cube, looked JUST like him. I could have sworn I was watching Ice Cube play a younger version of himself.

I would have liked if they did a little more to fit NWA within the context of the musical era that they were a part of - like if they showed other contemporary acts like Run DMC, Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, even the Wu. Instead, the film focused entirely on NWA and Death Row, almost implying that they started the rap game. I know the film's purpose was obviously to tell their story, but their story is incomplete without understanding some of the other acts they shared the spotlight with.

Now I'm waiting for a 2Pac biopic.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#967 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:51 pm

jimmybones wrote:I was really pleased with Bloodline. We got bored of it halfway through the season and gave up on it for a while but resumed and finished it today. It's so slow moving until the end but man, great writing, great acting by John and Danny's characters. I'm having a hard time deciding what to start next.

Anyone have any Amazon Prime show recommendations?

I'll also endorse "the Killing" as somebody did above.

Bloodline was great. I will watch ANYTHING with COACH TAYLOR.

Mr. Robot is freaking incredible. I hope they run this thing ~6ish seasons and do it well like Breaking Bad and Lost (debatable, of course).
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#968 » by Nebula1 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:41 pm

Suits is still going fairly strong although it's missing some of the striking music of past seasons. That said, it's still running nicely.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,953

Post#969 » by BUCKnation » Wed Sep 2, 2015 12:57 am

Yeah, Suits just finished one of my favorite seasons. Look forward to the second half in the winter.

Also, I third the Bloodline recommend. Coach Taylor and his brother in the show (can't remember his name) were excellent. It was a little slow at times but overall, its a good marathon show that finishes well.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#970 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 2, 2015 1:01 am

I like Suits enough to keep up with it, but the show has definitely gotten less fun since the first seasons.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,622

Post#971 » by blazza18 » Wed Sep 2, 2015 1:12 am

I thought it was a really good season for Suits. Definitely enjoyed it more than the last couple.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#972 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 2, 2015 1:38 am

The only thing I liked about this season was Harvey looking mortal. It's a fine line: I think I like the show most when Harvey is clowning everyone and people are having fun, but it was interesting to see him in the middle of a breakdown too.

What gets old is:

• Louis continually getting **** on
• the OH MY GOD WILL I GET CAUGHT crap with Mike
• anytime Jessica saying "god damn" because she sounds ridiculous. Just mute it like they do on Mr. Robot.
• **** Hardman and this world against us theme

It just seems like the last three seasons have blended together based on the same reoccurring themes.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#973 » by vital_signs » Wed Sep 2, 2015 2:06 am

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t35.0-12/11703595_10153270132872762_1749248979855799178_o.jpg?oh=10475a88028d907c4cfabecbd5d6fec6&oe=55E837FB

Hope this isn't hijacking the thread but I didn't find it worthy of its own. One of my DVDs is ruined and I can't figure out what happened. It has almost this black spider web deformation that seems to be within the disk. Can't find anything on google, anyone ever have this happen?
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#974 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Sep 2, 2015 2:27 am

Comedy Central. Next Spring. "The Legends of Chamberlain Heights."

Not only am I a creator, executive producer and writer, I also voice this righteous little dude:

Spoiler:

I'm going to promote the hell out of it in this thread over the next few months.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,290

Post#975 » by KidA24 » Wed Sep 2, 2015 3:35 am

A Diddy2231 wrote:Watched Lost all the way through for the first time. Good show but very disappointing last season and ending

I binged on lost to catch up for the last season. I hated it. So many unanswered questions and ideas and a lack of continuity.

I'm sure this wouldn't have been noticed had I not binged.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Re: RE: Re: 2015 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#976 » by emunney » Wed Sep 2, 2015 3:40 am

KidA24 wrote:
A Diddy2231 wrote:Watched Lost all the way through for the first time. Good show but very disappointing last season and ending

I binged on lost to catch up for the last season. I hated it. So many unanswered questions and ideas and a lack of continuity.

I'm sure this wouldn't have been noticed had I not binged.

No, it would have been.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#977 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Sep 3, 2015 2:17 am

Here are some of the standards and practices flags from a future episode of The Legends of Chamberlain Heights. This is definitely not safe for work and WILL ABSOLUTELY BE OFFENSIVE to some. This rated R, mane. Hard R. Click on it at you're own discretion.

Spoiler:
Actually, I better not post it here. Just go to my Twitter to read it. https://twitter.com/StarrburyMike

#Legends
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,948

Post#978 » by RiotPunch » Thu Sep 3, 2015 3:02 am

Everyone should go check out the movie my friend wrote and produced! A lot of it was filmed in my hometown of Lodi, WI. It is called Uncle John.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbr-imUdtBw[/youtube]
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#979 » by El Duderino » Thu Sep 3, 2015 3:14 am

A question for Netflix subscribers. I signed up mainly for my daughter recently, but was browsing through the Netflix made shows last night and a few sounded interesting to varying degrees for me. So i was curious what subscribers thought of any of these shows besides House of Cards which i've watched already?

1. Bloodline

2. Sense 8

3. Narcos

4. The Killing

5. The Fall

I get that everyone has their own tastes/likes or dislikes in general when it comes to TV shows or movies. Overall, the only type of shows or movies which rarely interest me are mostly plot-less action movies/shows with lots of car chases, explosions, cheesy tough guy lines which fall flat, and the main characters managing to shoot the "bad guys" with a pistol while flying through the air, but the bad guys miss with machine guns.

The main thing i'm trying to avoid is series which start off good enough to get you interested, but then progressively get worse and then leaving you caught as to whether you should keep watching given you've invested time or just bail. Two prime examples for me were Dexter and the second season of True Detective, but at least the True Detective one was only a single season and not a multi-season time investment where i hate that i'm continuing to watch, but feel almost trapped to finish the series out.

Any opinions given would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#980 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Sep 3, 2015 3:51 am

ReasonablySober wrote:The only thing I liked about this season was Harvey looking mortal. It's a fine line: I think I like the show most when Harvey is clowning everyone and people are having fun, but it was interesting to see him in the middle of a breakdown too.

What gets old is:

• Louis continually getting **** on
• the OH MY GOD WILL I GET CAUGHT crap with Mike
• anytime Jessica saying "god damn" because she sounds ridiculous. Just mute it like they do on Mr. Robot.
• **** Hardman and this world against us theme

It just seems like the last three seasons have blended together based on the same reoccurring themes.

I thought suits had a great coming down season. The problem with some shows is that it's hard to maintain drama over multiple seasons without the characters either appearing petty or unrealistic. It's like when dirty sexy money seemed interesting the first season and completely useless the second season. It's one thing to have an explosive first season but it just seems dumb if the characters put themselves in the same dumb situations every episode for multiple years. I think suits was in that rut but this season you started to see character growth with Harvey and Mike. It made them more human and likeable.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks