ImageImage

Grantland: The Arrival of John Henson (Is he part of core?)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Re: Grantland: The Arrival of John Henson (Lowe piece) 

Post#21 » by raferfenix » Fri Jan 9, 2015 10:13 pm

blazza18 wrote:Hopefully teams are watching around the league and offer us a first round pick. Henson is a solid backup who can play well in spot starts but he isn't part of the core moving forward.

I could see him as a very good 6th man bench big providing energy on both sides of the ball off the bench.

But I just can't see him playing major minutes with a forward tandem as slight as Giannis / Parker.

Not sure if Kidd would be willing to trade a win now piece like him for a future pick though, unfortunately.

Thinking about whether he might go for a deal with the Kings if something like this would be available:

Bucks trade: Knight, Henson, O'bryant
Kings trade: McLemore, Thompson, McCallum
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Re: Grantland: The Arrival of John Henson (Is he part of core?) 

Post#22 » by PANDEMONEUM » Fri Jan 9, 2015 10:15 pm

i would move Henson for equal value at SG
possibly for a PG
he is not someone in the TOP8 rotation
more of a 9thman, or 3rd C
if we can accept him for that, then hes fine
if we want more or expect more, we will be disappointed
i just want him to dunk the ball, when he gets it within 3ft
its very infuriating when he catches it so deep and looks to pass out or throw up a weak layup
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#23 » by Bernman » Fri Jan 9, 2015 10:17 pm

What arrival? Because his block rate has went up somewhat in a small sample?

I don't expect him to be part of the core with the lack of body control, jumper, and mental toughness. He gets pushed around like crazy.

Also, we can less justify keeping him around now that Sanders has made himself virtually immovable.

He's likely not a part of anyone's core, and almost surely a part of ours.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 9, 2015 10:33 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:The thing Lowe notes is that Henson is thriving in small ball lineups where he's got the entire post to roam and not get caught up with another big.

The thing that will make or break Henson is if he can ever get a damn jump shot. I'm not talking a three, but hitting a simple ten-foot faceup, along with getting a 75% FT percentage is what takes him from nice role playing big to top ten starting center material.

His scoring per 40 minutes has gone down from 18.4 in his rookie year to 16.5 in his 2nd year to 14.9 this season. Not sure what's cause this decline. But the rest of his stats show that he's a more than capable starting big in the NBA. And if re-develops that mid-range jumper - which wasn't bad at all at UNC - he can be a helluvan NBA player. But with his lack of bulk, can he play 35 minutes a game? That seems to be the problem with another ex-UNC big - Brandan Wright.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#25 » by AussieBuck » Fri Jan 9, 2015 10:58 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
emunney wrote:
He also points out that Henson has been a failure with Knight. We really should think about ponying up for Tyus Jones when the time comes.

Everyone has been a failure with Knight--correct? I assume that terrible chart from two weeks ago can be updated?

I can post info but I'm not clever enough to make a chart. As to Henson I haven't read the piece yet but I can't imagine ever being happy having paid him. I just don't trust his motor/competitiveness at all.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,001

Post#26 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jan 9, 2015 11:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:His scoring per 40 minutes has gone down from 18.4 in his rookie year to 16.5 in his 2nd year to 14.9 this season. Not sure what's cause this decline.

Kidd has told him that he's a center and that he shouldn't shoot the ball unless he's deep in the post of has a specific roll play run for him. The prior two years, he was a chucker. There was no offensive discipline under the former coaching staffs and Henson would be passed the ball 15-20 feet out and Henson would just turn and chuck.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
aValpo
Junior
And1: 162

Post#27 » by aValpo » Fri Jan 9, 2015 11:09 pm

The small ball center part is interesting, but I think its detrimental to have him play PF. Can't think of many PF that neither have power, post play, or a jump shot. His best play has been around the rim, so I think playing to his strengths is the right idea, rather than trying to fit him in at the 4.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#28 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Jan 9, 2015 11:16 pm

Scoring per 40? WHO CARES?? He isn't a scorer. You shoot 43% on post attempts, and can't get to the line you don't get to be a scorer any more.

My problem has been that he can't play 4 and is useless next to a 5 and is too slight to play as a 5. But he has proven he CAN have a role. Brandan Wright was an abject failure at GSW but when he was put in a specific role under Carlisle (BTW, the EXACT role Lowe was talking about for Henson, an exclusively roll guy) he excelled. Then when he went to the Celts without a PG he failed again.

And 5s ARE shrinking. As a backup 5 who can roll to the hoop he has a role. But how valuable is a guy if his ceiling is Wright?

EDIT: Well Wright just got traded for 2 2nd rd picks.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#29 » by Dcebucks11 » Fri Jan 9, 2015 11:19 pm

just trade him.. he can never seem to get playing time anyways and teams are throwing 1st round picks around like candy.
RayRayJones
Starter
And1: 155

Post#30 » by RayRayJones » Fri Jan 9, 2015 11:20 pm

And then, since this is Milwaukee and these are the Bucks, crazy stuff started happening.

:rock:
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#31 » by raferfenix » Fri Jan 9, 2015 11:26 pm

Suns get Brandon Wright in a deal we probably could have gotten for John Henson if we had been so inclined:

The Phoenix Suns have acquired Brandan Wright from the Boston Celtics for a first round pick.

The first round pick the Suns sent to Celtics is protected 1-12 in 2015 and 2016, and then turns to two seconds -- which is the likely result.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... VkT3jxC.99
Giannis Parker
Banned User
And1: 169

Post#32 » by Giannis Parker » Fri Jan 9, 2015 11:34 pm

raferfenix wrote:Suns get Brandon Wright in a deal we probably could have gotten for John Henson if we had been so inclined:

The Phoenix Suns have acquired Brandan Wright from the Boston Celtics for a first round pick.

If that is the going rate (two 2nd round picks) for decent Center only 27 years of age, I am just fine with keeping Henson as our primary backup of the future.

This also greatly weakens any chance we had of moving Zaza for anything worth mentioning, even expirings.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#33 » by AussieBuck » Fri Jan 9, 2015 11:44 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
emunney wrote:
He also points out that Henson has been a failure with Knight. We really should think about ponying up for Tyus Jones when the time comes.

Everyone has been a failure with Knight--correct? I assume that terrible chart from two weeks ago can be updated?

Henson with Knight:

51.8 TS%, 15.4 USG%

Henson without Knight:

61.2 TS%, 20.5USG%

It's probably mostly a pick and roll ineptness thing but those numbers are the pattern through the team.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,686

Post#34 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jan 9, 2015 11:50 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
emunney wrote:

Henson with Knight:

51.8 TS%, 15.4 USG%

Henson without Knight:

61.2 TS%, 20.5USG%

It's probably mostly a pick and roll ineptness thing but those numbers are the pattern through the team.

Where are you getting these? I used to use nbawowy but I can't see to get it to work this season.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#35 » by AussieBuck » Fri Jan 9, 2015 11:55 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

Henson with Knight:

51.8 TS%, 15.4 USG%

Henson without Knight:

61.2 TS%, 20.5USG%

Where are you getting these? I used to use nbawowy but I can't see to get it to work this season.

Works for me but maybe that's because I'm a forum member there. You'd cry if you saw Giannis' numbers. :banghead:
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#36 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 9, 2015 11:56 pm

Giannis Parker wrote:
raferfenix wrote:Suns get Brandon Wright in a deal we probably could have gotten for John Henson if we had been so inclined:

If that is the going rate (two 2nd round picks) for decent Center only 27 years of age, I am just fine with keeping Henson as our primary backup of the future.

This also greatly weakens any chance we had of moving Zaza for anything worth mentioning, even expirings.

I think you're mostly right although I could see Henson having slightly more value than Wright because he's still under his rookie deal next season while wright is a FA. But wright is probably a better player right now so maybe it's about equal.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#37 » by Bernman » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:13 am

The first round pick the Suns sent to Celtics is protected 1-12 in 2015 and 2016, and then turns to two seconds -- which is the likely result.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... VkT3jxC.99

You figure firsts and decent prospects have always been available for a number of our players individually or in combination, it's just that a lot of fans here were projecting their worth to us on to other teams, and the right person(s) (Kidd, apparently now) in the organization isn't motivated to sell because of the competitor in him and the conflict of interest between his official and unofficial roles.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Insomniaac
Rookie
And1: 994

Post#38 » by Insomniaac » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:16 am

AussieBuck wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
Henson with Knight:

51.8 TS%, 15.4 USG%

Henson without Knight:

61.2 TS%, 20.5USG%

Works for me but maybe that's because I'm a forum member there. You'd cry if you saw Giannis' numbers. :banghead:

nbawowy works fine for me this season and I didn't join the forum
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#39 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:59 am

Ruzious wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:The thing Lowe notes is that Henson is thriving in small ball lineups where he's got the entire post to roam and not get caught up with another big.

The thing that will make or break Henson is if he can ever get a damn jump shot. I'm not talking a three, but hitting a simple ten-foot faceup, along with getting a 75% FT percentage is what takes him from nice role playing big to top ten starting center material.

His scoring per 40 minutes has gone down from 18.4 in his rookie year to 16.5 in his 2nd year to 14.9 this season. Not sure what's cause this decline. But the rest of his stats show that he's a more than capable starting big in the NBA. And if re-develops that mid-range jumper - which wasn't bad at all at UNC - he can be a helluvan NBA player. But with his lack of bulk, can he play 35 minutes a game? That seems to be the problem with another ex-UNC big - Brandan Wright.

Other than more experience (same as most young players), Henson needs to get a little stronger and start hitting the 10-15 footers to improve his game and get more time. He's constantly underrated by Bucks fans. He has the potential to play two positions, block shots, and score inside. Not a lot of players in the league like that. Which is why his PER is usually among the highest on the Bucks.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,686

Post#40 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:15 am

Developing defensive awareness and a 10-15 foot jumper is a lot easier said than done.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”

Return to Milwaukee Bucks