ImageImage

Ted Davis Interview: "It would be great to have another high draft pick this year"

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Ted Davis Interview: "It would be great to have another high draft pick this year" 

Post#1 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:29 am

Ok, now that I've drawn you in with the click bait, this is a good piece on Ted. He talks about social media and how it is really impacting both his career and the NBA.

I excerpted the blurb below where he talks about the team, but the whole thing is a good read.

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/ ... ?viewall=1

TD: I think Jason Kidd and his staff have done a great job of turning this team into a competitive team in a short period of time, and that's not easy to do when you've been a 15-win team and you go to the next year.

I think the players have bought into what they're doing. I think Kidd brings an instant respect factor that you have to weigh because he played not long ago. They know how good he was. They know he's a Hall of Famer and so they'll listen to what he has to say. They've got some good young pieces that if they grow, I think the goal of being a team that can compete deep into the playoffs in three to five years is attainable.

And what they're doing now is what the fan base had been wanting or calling to do for a long time and (former ownership) resisted it and I'm not knocking him (Senator Kohl) because he has his own business model where if they made it to playoffs, there was a difference between breaking even or slight profit or pulling money out of his pocket to meet expenses. So I don't knock him for that, but I think they've got to get out of that rut of being the seventh, eighth seed every year. Try rebuilding, try going to the draft, try building and just see if it works. So they're doing that now.

It would be great to have another high draft pick this year. I think they need one or two more pieces to go along with Antetokounmpo, Parker, Middleton and Knight. That core group of young guys that could be very good in three to five years. So if they add one more piece to that, then I think you're further along on the rebuilding process.

And what you want to do is get to the point where you get competitive enough to lure a free agent. I'm not talking about a LeBron or a Kobe, but I'm talking about a guy maybe on that second tier of free agents, not a superstar, but an all-star who will look at what you're doing here with new ownership, with maybe a new building, with deep pockets to do all of the things you got to do now to compete. They'll look at the box and say, "you know, Milwaukee is now a place that I would consider in three to five years." And then that takes you to that next step. So they're in that process now and I think to be competitive this early is a good sign.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Re: Ted Davis Interview: "It would be great to have another high draft pick this year" 

Post#2 » by worthlessBucks » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:01 am

O/U on 'Knight is not part of the core' posts?

Sad read, we were so close to doing this the dream way. Giannis, #2 Parker, and another high lottery guy.
Go Bucks!
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,944

Re: Ted Davis Interview: "It would be great to have another high draft pick this year" 

Post#3 » by Jez2983 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:02 am

Ted Davis wrote:It would be great to have another high draft pick this year. I think they need one or two more pieces to go along with Antetokounmpo, Parker, Middleton and Knight. That core group of young guys that could be very good in three to five years. So if they add one more piece to that, then I think you're further along on the rebuilding process.

And what you want to do is get to the point where you get competitive enough to lure a free agent. I'm not talking about a LeBron or a Kobe, but I'm talking about a guy maybe on that second tier of free agents, not a superstar, but an all-star who will look at what you're doing here with new ownership, with maybe a new building, with deep pockets to do all of the things you got to do now to compete. They'll look at the box and say, "you know, Milwaukee is now a place that I would consider in three to five years." And then that takes you to that next step. So they're in that process now and I think to be competitive this early is a good sign.

That's really the key, isn't it. Not throwing your hat in too early. Ideally we get another piece, either a big or a PG, then in a year or two we add an all-star free agent.

The problem is, as with most NBA teams, that they throw money at FA's as soon as they have it in the hope there'll be a big change straight away. Let these guys grow, figure out what they can/can't do, then get that FA to complement them.

In NBA FO's money just burns holes in their pockets, and they need to spend ASAP.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#4 » by Treebeard » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:06 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Ok, now that I've drawn you in with the click bait,...

It would be great to have another high draft pick this year. I think they need one or two more pieces to go along with Antetokounmpo, Parker, Middleton and Knight. That core group of young guys that could be very good in three to five years. So if they add one more piece to that, then I think you're further along on the rebuilding process.

And what you want to do is get to the point where you get competitive enough to lure a free agent.....

I'll take the bait....

Is Ted proposing to blow things up to wind up as a lotto team? I think the tank idea faded with the progress both Giannis and Jabari made, and the treads were completely off the tank by early December.

OR, is he proposing that the Bucks find another way to obtain a lotto pick by trades of picks & personnel?

OR, is he just wishful thinking?

On a different note, who of the Bucks Radio & TV announcers are going to London?
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,124

Post#5 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:11 am

It would be great to have another high draft pick. You're right, Ted. I've read that sentence, or a variation of it, a thousand times this season. Problem is, nobody knows how to get it. I haven't read a single realistic plan. Just a lot of complaining about mediocrity. Maybe this is the thread someone breaks through with a legitimate idea.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,618

Post#6 » by blazza18 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:18 am

The parts about the teams buying into what Kidd and his coaching staff is doing are great and I agree with that.

Saying the team is now not doing what Kohl did is a bit premature imo. We're going to be a 6th,7th or 8th seed in the playoffs the way we're currently playing. As of right now, I don't think much has changed. Yay for new owners though.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#7 » by trwi7 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:32 am

Ted Davis is a realist. :)
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Sky Bucks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Post#8 » by Sky Bucks » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:32 am

Ted gets it
#Make'em Believe On Wisconsin
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#9 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:34 am

Most interesting part to me was the Knight/Middleton/Giannis/Parker core comment. I really want to say that those four plus #17 and the realistic FA we'd attract in the near future is enough, but I'd be lying to myself. The Sanders question mark has left a gaping hole that needs to be addressed. I don't think Henson is the guy even though I like him. We will see.

We would have been set for sure if we could have landed in the top 5 this year.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,769

Post#10 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:37 am

Ship may have sailed on getting a high pick but it hasn't sailed on getting as high a pick as possible and maximizing a few assets for the future.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#11 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:05 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:Ship may have sailed on getting a high pick but it hasn't sailed on getting as high a pick as possible and maximizing a few assets for the future.

What do you do? Trade Ersan, Sanders, Dudley and mayo? What do we get for that? a couple seconds rounders? How far do we fall? Maybe 4 picks? I'm not sure we can really tank to your liking unless you tell Kidd and the players not to try.

Eta: I think knight/Middleton/Giannis/Henson/sanders with what ever pieces aren't traded will win enough games against taking teams with the defense they have been playing. I guess you could go out and literally trade everyone over 25 for seconds you might be able to lose enough games but I have an ethical problem with a team tanking they have a chance at the 5 seed. At some point you have to cheer for them to win when they are playing the right way
Giannis Parker
Banned User
And1: 169

Post#12 » by Giannis Parker » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:08 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:Ship may have sailed on getting a high pick but it hasn't sailed on getting as high a pick as possible and maximizing a few assets for the future.

What do you do? Trade Ersan, Sanders, Dudley and mayo? What do we get for that? a couple seconds rounders? How far do we fall? Maybe 4 picks? I'm not sure we can really tank to your liking unless you tell Kidd and the players not to try.

Ersan can net us a late 1st from the right team, Dudley could probably get us an early 2nd rounder. Not sure what Mayo or Sanders get as talent wise they are players who could rebound back into starters, or they are players that are one tailspin away from being out of the league.

I still think a team like Sacto, or maybe the Pelicans would be willing to part with a 1st for someone like Ersan if they got another asset with it or we absorbed 7m in salary for them.

That 7m in salary is really the big draw that could net us a potential lotto pick.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#13 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:14 am

I highly doubt we can get a first for a guy who hasn't played in a month with serious concussion issues. A high second would also be high for Dudley but will that really effect our season by more than 3 wins or 1 spot?
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#14 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:17 am

Also, Ersan is averaging 10/4. Yeah he had a good game or 2 but he's not worth a first.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#15 » by emunney » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:20 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I highly doubt we can get a first for a guy who hasn't played in a month with serious concussion issues. A high second would also be high for Dudley but will that really effect our season by more than 3 wins or 1 spot?

Dudley for Kyle Anderson, who says no?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#16 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:26 am

emunney wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I highly doubt we can get a first for a guy who hasn't played in a month with serious concussion issues. A high second would also be high for Dudley but will that really effect our season by more than 3 wins or 1 spot?

I'm guessing the spurs. I don't think they wants ersans contract. 25 mil between ersan, splitter and diaw while figuring out what to do with their stars.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,769

Post#17 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:37 am

Tanking to my liking doesn't take much, it's as simple as moving vets if the opportunity presents itself. If I could get an expiring for someone like Zaza, Dudley, Bayless, Ersan or Mayo I take it and walk away happy, any more is icing on the cake. We should be using all our assets as if we were winning 5 games instead of in the playoff hunt, valuing them any higher now because we are in the playoff hunt is laughable. A playoff series means virtually nothing to this teams future, any asset we could possibly get does. If we trade what we can and only move down a few wins so be it, if you drop out of the playoff race even better. A top 5 pick may be out of the picture but aiming for the playoffs is foolish.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Giannis Parker
Banned User
And1: 169

Post#18 » by Giannis Parker » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:58 am

When there is 5+ years of data and the player is only 27, teams arn't stupid, they know what Ersan is regardless of what he has done lately.

Ersan is a spot starter, better off as a bench player kind of guy, like the 7th or 8th man, but if you have him as your 9th or 10th guy, you will likely have a major edge.

Teams like Houston, Washington, even Chicago would all greatly consider adding him for their 1st. The issue that needs to be figured out is his contract, what he brings is not even remotely an issue.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#19 » by emunney » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:06 am

emunney wrote:

I'm guessing the spurs. I don't think they wants ersans contract. 25 mil between ersan, splitter and diaw while figuring out what to do with their stars.

The Spurs probably say no, but where does Ersan figure into it?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
RayRayJones
Starter
And1: 155

Post#20 » by RayRayJones » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:18 am

In regards to the whole 3 to 5 year thing, one thing I haven't seen discussed is Larry's expiring contract in three plus seasons. With the salary hike, he's only going to be around 12-13% of the cap compared to nearly 20% now, so the value won't be quite as good. However, let's say our draft pick this year turns into an above average role player for the next couple seasons. I think we could easily pair Sanders' expiring and that player to land an asset, be it a lottery pick or a better player. Moreover, it would allow us to take the $11mil and sign one of those All-Star, 2nd tier FA players for the 2018-19 season, in which Giannis and Jabari will be entering their primes.

Nobody disagrees a lotto pick wouldn't have been ideal this year, but it just wasn't happening with as bad as the East is. I don't think it kills our dream of anything as some seem to suggest, especially knowing our future is at least three years out still. And it may be in our best interest to simply hold on to Larry until he's an expiring and worth some value in a trade. He certainly has none right now.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks