ImageImage

All-Star Snubbed

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Re: All-Star Snubbed 

Post#201 » by machu46 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:07 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:The running line here that Korver is basically Anthony Morrow is hilarious. If Korver is a role player then Knight is a role player.

He's more a role player in the sense that Dennis Rodman and Rip Hamilton were role players than Anthony Morrow. I don't think anyone has called him Anthony Morrow, but I admittedly haven't paid close attention to this thread. But yes, he's a role player. He's just incredible at that role. I have no issue with him being named an all-star personally, but he's a role player in the sense that he's pretty much on the team to do one thing; to shoot.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,425

Post#202 » by blazza18 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:45 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:So if Jimmy Butler sits out of the ASG, Knight surely gets the nod, no?

Since Knight is ranked 15th in the division by votes, then probably.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#203 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:22 pm

machu46 wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:The running line here that Korver is basically Anthony Morrow is hilarious. If Korver is a role player then Knight is a role player.

He's more a role player in the sense that Dennis Rodman and Rip Hamilton were role players than Anthony Morrow. I don't think anyone has called him Anthony Morrow, but I admittedly haven't paid close attention to this thread. But yes, he's a role player. He's just incredible at that role. I have no issue with him being named an all-star personally, but he's a role player in the sense that he's pretty much on the team to do one thing; to shoot.

The point still stands, if Korver's a role player then Knight is as well. Not exactly sure how you can make the distinction that Knight does much more for a team than Korver does.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#204 » by ampd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:36 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
machu46 wrote:

The point still stands, if Korver's a role player then Knight is as well. Not exactly sure how you can make the distinction that Knight does much more for a team than Korver does.

Korver has 14% usage. He scores 12 points a game (and under 10 points in over 1/3 of their games) and doesn't contribute much in the way of rebounding or playmaking. He's not a particularly good one on one defender. He is absolutely a roleplayer.

I'm fine with recognizing his super efficiency by including him in the all star game, but let's not pretend it's more than it is. The Hawks would still be a good team and likely have a similar record with not a chance in hell non-all-star Danny Green playing the same role. Talking about his 'gravity' like he compares to guys who really have that effect (such as Lebron) is a big time exaggeration and pure foolishness.

The Bucks absolutely rely on Knight more than the Hawks rely on Korver. I actually think part of the issue here is nobody really knows what to think about the Hawks this season. They are not just winning, but dominating with a team even more devoid of stars than the old Detroit teams.

The temptation to succumb to the NBA's marketing of a star driven league and simply declare all of these guys stars rather than none is strong, but ultimately misguided. The Hawks are greater than the sum of their parts, and none of these guys are true superstars, or in Korver's case, traditional all stars.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#205 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:48 pm

ampd wrote:The Hawks would still be a good team and likely have a similar record with not a chance in hell non-all-star Danny Green playing the same role.

And we'd probably be a similar team with Lou Williams in Knight's role, is he an all-star snub too?

Also, Korver does a lot more of the court then Danny Green does and it isn't even close.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#206 » by emunney » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:51 pm

I wonder how All-Star snub Giannis Antetokounmpo feels about this debate. He probably feels it's about the wrong players.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ampd
RealGM

Post#207 » by ampd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
ampd wrote:The Hawks would still be a good team and likely have a similar record with not a chance in hell non-all-star Danny Green playing the same role.

And we'd probably be a similar team with Lou Williams in Knight's role, is he an all-star snub too?

Also, Korver does a lot more of the court then Danny Green does and it isn't even close.

Korver is a better roleplayer than Danny Green, but he's still a roleplayer. It's not even really debatable. His "doing a lot more on the court" is bogus. He really only does one thing on the court at an above average level.

Knight is not a roleplayer on our team, and while I disagree about Lou or someone similar being able to replace Knight, I don't think it's that relevant to the larger discussion.

Korver is a roleplayer and he's getting in because of his historic efficiency and the Hawks record. Not because he is a star driving their success. I'm completely fine with him making it, but there is some serious hyperbole about him in this thread.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,671

Post#208 » by AussieBuck » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:57 pm

If your role can be filled by Jarret Jack you're a role player.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#209 » by LUKE23 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:59 pm

So Danny Green for Kyle Korver equals a similar record, but Lou Williams for Brandon Knight doesn't? I just don't agree with that, sorry.
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#210 » by Prince12 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:02 pm

Jimmy Butler playing tonight? Giannis could still get in!
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
ampd
RealGM

Post#211 » by ampd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:07 pm

LUKE23 wrote:So Danny Green for Kyle Korver equals a similar record, but Lou Williams for Brandon Knight doesn't? I just don't agree with that, sorry.

Korver and Danny Green both play similar roles for their teams and are both roleplayers.

Knight is not a roleplayer for us.

The question of whether you could take a player from another team, put him in Knight's role for us, and expect the same results is irrelevant and pure speculation. Lou's role with the Raptors is nothing like Knight's for us. If Lou was actually on our team doing what Knight has done for us, then he'd have a case for being in over Korver too. But it really makes no difference, because he isn't.
ampd
RealGM

Post#212 » by ampd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:10 pm

AussieBuck wrote:If your role can be filled by Jarret Jack you're a role player.

I don't think Jarrett Jack would be a good replacement for Korver :devil:
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#213 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:11 pm

ampd wrote:Korver and Danny Green both play similar roles for their teams and are both roleplayers.

They really don't.
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#214 » by Prince12 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:11 pm

Jarrett Jacks brows are creepy
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#215 » by AussieBuck » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:12 pm

ampd wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:If your role can be filled by Jarret Jack you're a role player.

Jack is just one of the backups who could fill Knight's role without the team missing a beat.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
ampd
RealGM

Post#216 » by ampd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:18 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
ampd wrote:Korver and Danny Green both play similar roles for their teams and are both roleplayers.

They really don't.

They are both floor spacing roleplayers.
ampd
RealGM

Post#217 » by ampd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:21 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
ampd wrote:

Jack is just one of the backups who could fill Knight's role without the team missing a beat.

No way.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#218 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:22 pm

ampd wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:

They really don't.

They are both floor spacing roleplayers. Korver has a little more running around screens to him on the offensive end, Danny is a better athlete and individual defender.

"A little more"? :lol:. Green is basically the Bruce Bowen statue on offense, Korver draws so much more attention it isn't even a worthy comparison. But you know, he scores basically one less made three a game than Horford does so he's Danny Green. Klay Thompson is basically Danny Green too.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#219 » by AussieBuck » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:23 pm

ampd wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
ampd wrote:

No way.

He's put up similar numbers for 27 games starting now and as an added bonus he kicked Knight's ass when they went head to head. :D They are just guys getting numbers because they get to have the ball a lot.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
ampd
RealGM

Post#220 » by ampd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:30 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
ampd wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Jack is just one of the backups who could fill Knight's role without the team missing a beat.

No way.

He's put up similar numbers for 27 games starting now and as an added bonus he kicked Knight's ass when they went head to head. :D They are just guys getting numbers because they get to have the ball a lot.

You are better than picking a 27 game stretch of Jarrett Jack as the 3rd (at best) scoring option and comparing it to Knight's season stats on our team as the #1.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks