ImageImage

Giannis' Development

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Re: Giannis' Development 

Post#301 » by Prince12 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:00 am

To be honest I think Giannis is the only one barring probably mids that is giving 100% effort on both ends all night every game.
The amount of work Giannis does on the defensive end is ridiculous. At some point you need to just get it to him more. I'm not as angry about it as some just yet but I just think he's doing everything he can and exceeding all expectations. I guess I just don't see MCW ever being a low usage pg because he can't shoot. But having said that being on a rookie contract means we have an extended look to see how it pans out.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#302 » by Prez » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:09 am

Prince12 wrote:To be honest I think Giannis is the only one barring probably mids that is giving 100% effort on both ends all night every game.
The amount of work Giannis does on the defensive end is ridiculous. At some point you need to just get it to him more. I'm not as angry about it as some just yet but I just think he's doing everything he can and exceeding all expectations. I guess I just don't see MCW ever being a low usage pg because he can't shoot. But having said that being on a rookie contract means we have an extended look to see how it pans out.

Oh I totally agree, the dude is a maniac in terms of effort. But that's not the only factor there. Tons of players give it 100% on both ends. It's not a deciding factor on whether or not a guy should get the ball when he wants it. The thing Giannis has to realize is that his talent blows everyone else's away...he has take it upon himself to force that reality down people's throats sometimes. I do agree that the team has to recognize talent when they see it, but Giannis also has to channel the edge we've all seen from time to time into his individual game.
Tantras
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#303 » by Tantras » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Since my thread was locked, I'm repeating here:

I would be extremely happy if people could stop acting like Giannis' jumper is inconsistent or straight up bad.

Giannis' shooting in the first 37 games of the season:

Giannis' shooting in the latter 36 games of the season:

Giannis' shooting in March:

What's interesting is that with the lack of 3p shooting since the All-Star Break, Giannis' interior efficiency has taken a hit but he's elevated his game to still be productive.

Giannis' shooting has improved by leaps and bounds MID-SEASON and he's been an above average mid-range shooter in the second half of the season. If someone thinks that by next year (with a full off-season of training) he won't be absolutely frightening when he gets up for a shot, they're in for a big surprise.

Giannis has been growing at a tremendous pace and it's sad that the team hasn't adapted yet.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,018

Post#304 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:53 pm

Tantras wrote:Since my thread was locked, I'm repeating here:

I would be extremely happy if people could stop acting like Giannis' jumper is inconsistent or straight up bad.

What's interesting is that with the lack of 3p shooting since the All-Star Break, Giannis' interior efficiency has taken a hit but he's elevated his game to still be productive.

Giannis' shooting has improved by leaps and bounds MID-SEASON and he's been an above average mid-range shooter in the second half of the season. If someone thinks that by next year (with a full off-season of training) he won't be absolutely frightening when he gets up for a shot, they're in for a big surprise.

Giannis has been growing at a tremendous pace and it's sad that the team hasn't adapted yet.

I think it's totally fair to question Giannis's jumper, especially 3 point shooting. He has improved drastically but he really has only been confident shooting that long jumper the past 2 months and still isn't confident on the 3-ball. I'll still be concerned with it until he shows he can do it over a longer period of time. People take it for granted that he will develop a 3-ball, but there really aren't any guarantees.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#305 » by M-C-G » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:24 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Tantras wrote:Since my thread was locked, I'm repeating here:

I think it's totally fair to question Giannis's jumper, especially 3 point shooting. He has improved drastically but he really has only been confident shooting that long jumper the past 2 months and still isn't confident on the 3-ball. I'll still be concerned with it until he shows he can do it over a longer period of time. People take it for granted that he will develop a 3-ball, but there really aren't any guarantees.

Kind of off topic, but every video I have seen has Oppenheimer (?) working with Giannis in the long 2 point...My guess is that they want him to get consistent there and then will stretch him out to the three. I know that isn't really ground breaking or anything, but I think that is why we have seen him abandon the 3 this season. As they have remade his shot, all of his reps are coming from that long 2.

I would imagine we will see the same with MCW. Break down his shot in the off season, and start his reps with the long 2. Hopefully by this time next year, they have stretched Giannis to the 3.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,637

Post#306 » by machu46 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:29 pm

Obviously it helps that Giannis is generally wide open when he shoots those mid-range jumpers. Guys are playing 10+ feet off him when he takes those. It also seems like Giannis is very uncomfortable in catch-and-shoot situations. I wouldn't say he's a good shooter, but he's gotten decent enough at that pull-up foul line jumper that I'm okay with him taking the shot now and I'm not surprised when it goes in.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,736

Post#307 » by yannisk » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:02 pm

M-C-G wrote:Kind of off topic, but every video I have seen has Oppenheimer (?) working with Giannis in the long 2 point...

We have a genius physicist working on Giannis's jump shot? :)
The ballistics of his shot will become perfect
Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,027

Post#308 » by Magic Giannison » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:25 am

Really impressed with Giannis jump shots tonight,it is amazing on how much time he managed to improve it, ti shows that the kid is indeed working hard.
All i want him to take more and more shots so he can finally explode his game and lead us to wins.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,903

Post#309 » by theFireBlanket » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:52 am

machu46 wrote:Obviously it helps that Giannis is generally wide open when he shoots those mid-range jumpers. Guys are playing 10+ feet off him when he takes those. It also seems like Giannis is very uncomfortable in catch-and-shoot situations. I wouldn't say he's a good shooter, but he's gotten decent enough at that pull-up foul line jumper that I'm okay with him taking the shot now and I'm not surprised when it goes in.

He wasn't open on any of the looks that I caught in the 2nd half tonight. Going to be fun to watch him develop the jumper further. I expect he'll be hitting treys again within the next 2 seasons as well.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,027

Post#310 » by Magic Giannison » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:04 am

theFireBlanket wrote:
machu46 wrote:Obviously it helps that Giannis is generally wide open when he shoots those mid-range jumpers. Guys are playing 10+ feet off him when he takes those. It also seems like Giannis is very uncomfortable in catch-and-shoot situations. I wouldn't say he's a good shooter, but he's gotten decent enough at that pull-up foul line jumper that I'm okay with him taking the shot now and I'm not surprised when it goes in.

He wasn't open on any of the looks that I caught in the 2nd half tonight. Going to be fun to watch him develop the jumper further. I expect he'll be hitting treys again within the next 2 seasons as well.

IF GIannis starting 3's along with what he does now then i will seriously explode.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#311 » by Prez » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:38 am

A breakout season next year is seeming more and more likely. That jumper is beautiful when it's on and he's confident with it. A full offseason of work with Oppenheimer...man. If he can tighten up his handles a bit more, further mature into his body, and bring the 3 ball back into his arsenal..at least at a 30% clip..he's gonna be an all-star. Hell, if Korver's an all-star, then Giannis is knocking on the door right now with his play.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#312 » by DrWood » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:38 am

All he has to do is hit 3s at the rate he did last year. That would be a huge plus.
What I don't get is why he's taking so many long 2s in the second half of the season.
breakchains
General Manager
And1: 2,708

Post#313 » by breakchains » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:52 am

DrWood wrote:All he has to do is hit 3s at the rate he did last year. That would be a huge plus.
What I don't get is why he's taking so many long 2s in the second half of the season.

Guys have been sagging off him so much that they are wide-open, totally uncontested shots. He is just getting more confidence now so he is taking them. Those are good shots to take if guys are going to give him that much space.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#314 » by blazza18 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:07 am

Giannis' mid-ranger could be a serious weapon for us next season in the right role. I also think his free throw % can hit 80 next year too.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#315 » by Prez » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:34 am

I like that his percentages are up from midrange, but it's not totally indicative of his shooting ability. It's more about his confidence to take the shots than anything imo. The shots he's taking are comfortable, well selected jumpers with a good amount of space. Teams are eventually gonna start playing him a lot tighter, and as he develops into a go-to player as a scoring option, he's gonna be taking a ton of awkward angle, awkward positioned, high degree of difficulty shots. It's a great sign that he's showing more confidence, and it's promising that his form is looking great. But I think the numbers are a bit inflated.

Hopefully he follows an Anthony Davis like trajectory with his jumper. I remember when AD really struggled with it, then started knocking down clean jumpers at a good clip, and now he's evolved to the point where his jumper looks Dirk-like.

Giannis is gonna have to work on a lot more than just the form, but also the quickness of his release, his ability to maintain body control in awkward shots, etc. Teams are gonna start forcing him to take really tough shots and he has to prepare for it.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#316 » by M-C-G » Wed Apr 1, 2015 3:28 pm

DrWood wrote:All he has to do is hit 3s at the rate he did last year. That would be a huge plus.

Getting his midrange consistent and then are going to selectively stretch him out and build his range.

Jason Kidd the Milwaukee Bucks need Giannis Antetokounmpo to attack the paint while keeping the jumper part of his game.

"I think it's big for him to be consistent with being able to knock down that mid-range jump shot," Kidd said. "It gives him another weapon besides getting to the basket and getting to the free-throw line. It's just going to make him that much more difficult to guard."

"Coach (Kidd) told me to shoot with confidence, and he told me even if I find the corner three open, shoot it and knock it down," Antetokounmpo said.

Antetokounmpo attempted 118 three-pointers as a rookie (converting 41) but has tried only 40 this season, making just seven.

"I've been working hard all year, but I think next year and the year after it's all going to make sense," Antetokounmpo said. "I'm trying to be confident in the mid-range but I didn't shoot a lot of threes this year.

"Some people are going to say it's bad. Some people are going to say it's good. I think it's good. I've been working on my threes but I didn't shoot it (in games).

"The first year I made like five mid-range jumpers. This year I'm making more. Next year I'll be more efficient in the mid-range jumper and try to work on the threes. And the fourth year try to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together."
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#317 » by M-C-G » Wed Apr 1, 2015 3:31 pm

By the way, I love the approach with Giannis this year. With Drew at the helm, we could have easily been in danger of Giannis career trajectory going the way of Tim Thomas...falls in love with the 3, all the ability in the world unrealized.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,018

Post#318 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Apr 1, 2015 4:10 pm

breakchains wrote:

Guys have been sagging off him so much that they are wide-open, totally uncontested shots. He is just getting more confidence now so he is taking them. Those are good shots to take if guys are going to give him that much space.

There may also be a strategic starting position for Giannis. If he drives from the 3, d can close up further away from the rim by stepping up by the time he gets close. Now if they play tight, he has two steps to a lay-up/dunk. Though I agree it is probably 90% psychologically more comfortable with the long 2 compared to the 3.
Bucks_MacGyver
Sixth Man
And1: 339

Post#319 » by Bucks_MacGyver » Wed Apr 1, 2015 5:19 pm

Bill Michaels said he has regressed this season.... Smh.. Wtf is he talking about <br/>
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Re: 

Post#320 » by H2tObes » Wed Apr 1, 2015 5:25 pm

Bucks_MacGyver wrote:Bill Michaels said he has regressed this season.... Smh.. Wtf is he talking about <br/>

This is the garbage information that is being broadcasted about the Bucks? This man should be banned from talking

Return to Milwaukee Bucks