Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,300

Re: Giannis' Development 

Post#201 » by 3Diamantidis » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:52 pm

Newz wrote:
tigerclan wrote:
Newz wrote:I see very few similarities between Giannis and Durant in terms of how they play the game.

I see few similarities between Giannis and any other player in the league.
I haven't seen another guy play like this with that body.
He is the first of his kin.
It's up to bucks how they will deal with the challenge.

Oh.

In terms of how he moves and his physical make-up... Durant is like that. Durant is just significantly better than Giannis... at everything right now.

I still think Lamar Odom is a good comparison to Giannis. He was super tall and lanky, he could handle the ball like that and distribute. In his earlier days he was an absolute beast. I still don't see the whole "GIANNIS IS A TALENT UNLIKE ANYTHING WE HAVE EVER SEEN BEFORE!". KG could do everything Giannis can do, he just did a lot of things way better. A young Toni Kukoc actually had some similarities to Giannis.

Durant isn't good defender. Giannis already is imo.
He is better at rebounding as well.
Durant cannot be compared with anyone(not even lebron) in offense.
Giannis will never be like him offensively(nor wiggins or jabari). Durant is a phenom offensively.
If healthy, i expect him to hit jabbars all time record.

Garnett could dribble the ball and run the whole court like giannis? I don't think so.

Only Noel of philadelphia has that bodytype i think. It's not accidental that Giannis had issues when he had matchup against himearlier in the season.
Extremely interesting matchup in the rim.

Kukoc had the body but not the athleticism.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#202 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:54 pm

ampd wrote:
breakchains wrote:
Shaffty wrote:

These photos are from last year right? He has since moved the ball out of his line of sight

Either way, Durant's is not lower, as Durant releases way above his head and at the top of his jump (and far quicker to boot).

Yeah its not really possible to have a higher release than Durant in terms of proportion.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcqag8zPJmQ[/youtube]
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant

Post#203 » by 3Diamantidis » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:02 pm

I've watched many games this season.
I've noticed that giannis had a difficult time against these 3 dudes: Nerlens Noel, Rudy Gay, Marcieff Morris.
With everybody else, he did well.
breakchains
General Manager
And1: 2,708

Post#204 » by breakchains » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:05 pm

Giannis isn't KD and he isn't KG. He kind of looks like those guys and has certain of their attributes, but he is not like them. Stop trying to compare him to people. He is as unique a prospect as you will find. This has been true from the beginning, but people superficially keep trying to compare him to one guy. At best, you have to combine traits from different players, and that just basically confirms that he's a unique player.

There just hasn't been a player of his physical stature, with his gait, with his ball handling ability, court vision and bball IQ, cutting and finishing ability, a natural feel in the post, and a relentlessness on D that allows him to guard the league's best players, chase down guys for blocks, etc. None of the comparisons are accurate. Sure, there are some traits from each of these guys, but from the beginning, it has been pointless to really compare him to anyone because he is a genuinely unique talent.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#205 » by Newz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:06 pm

tigerclan wrote:Garnett could dribble the ball and run the whole court like giannis? I don't think so.

Well he could dribble the ball and run the court better than Giannis. So yeah, he didn't do it the exact same, he did it better.

Yeah. You guys who try to act like Giannis has no physical or skill equal confuse me a bit. It's like if I said that Magic Johnson and LeBron James were similar players you'd give me the ol' "Yeah... but LeBron has a better jump shot and is better on D... while Magic was an even better passer!"

Well yeah, no two players are exactly the same. There have been plenty of big, lanky guys who can handle the ball. Hell, Anthony Davis has a lot of similarities to Giannis... but again, he's just a lot better than Giannis at most things.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#206 » by LUKE23 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:18 pm

Yeah, KG was better at 20 than Giannis (although Giannis is closer than people think), but he wasn't a better ball handler. In fact, at age 20, I can't think of a player of similar size that was as good of a ball handler. Maybe Odom.
breakchains
General Manager

Post#207 » by breakchains » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:19 pm

Newz wrote:
tigerclan wrote:Garnett could dribble the ball and run the whole court like giannis? I don't think so.

Well he could dribble the ball and run the court better than Giannis. So yeah, he didn't do it the exact same, he did it better.

Yeah. You guys who try to act like Giannis has no physical or skill equal confuse me a bit. It's like if I said that Magic Johnson and LeBron James were similar players you'd give me the ol' "Yeah... but LeBron has a better jump shot and is better on D... while Magic was an even better passer!"

Well yeah, no two players are exactly the same. There have been plenty of big, lanky guys who can handle the ball. Hell, Anthony Davis has a lot of similarities to Giannis... but again, he's just a lot better than Giannis at most things.

As usual, you're wrong about Giannis.
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant

Post#208 » by 3Diamantidis » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:19 pm

Newz wrote:

No Garnett could not dribble like giannis.
Anthony Davis cannot dribble like giannis either.
(if he could do that as well, davis would be the best tall guy in history already :D ---which btw i think he will accomplish in the future)
It's ok, we just disagree :D
The thing is that if giannis gets his shot(mid range, 3pt) at a competent and consistent level and if he adds weight as well(not much) he will be able to play 5 positions :o
2,11m :o
Newz
Banned User

Post#209 » by Newz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:20 pm

breakchains wrote:
Newz wrote:

As usual, you're wrong about Giannis.

What am I wrong about?

I'm comparing him to guys like Kukoc, Odom, KG and Davis. Is that not good enough or something?
Newz
Banned User

Post#210 » by Newz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:21 pm

tigerclan wrote:No Garnett could not dribble like giannis.
(if he could do that as well, davis would be the best tall guy in history already :D ---which btw i think he will accomplish in the future)
The thing is that if giannis gets his shot(mid range, 3pt) at a competent and consistent level and if he adds weight as well(not much) he will be able to play 5 positions :o

Garnett played point guard when they asked him to as well. He could handle the ball like Giannis.

Also... Anthony Davis is a better ball handler than Giannis is, IMO.
breakchains
General Manager

Post#211 » by breakchains » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:22 pm

Newz wrote:

Garnett played point guard when they asked him to as well. He could handle the ball like Giannis.

I think you don't watch much of these guys.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#212 » by LUKE23 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:25 pm

I think what makes Giannis unique is the speed/ball handling combination that he has at the size/length he has. So any comparisons need to start with those three attributes (Size/length, speed, ball handling). It's that combination of attributes currently that allows him to do a decent amount of scoring (nearly 15 ppg per 36 at over .550+ TS) without any type of consistent jumpshot.
Newz
Banned User

Post#213 » by Newz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:26 pm

breakchains wrote:
Newz wrote:

I think you don't watch much of these guys.

Garnett played point guard for an entire playoff series when he was running with Cassell and Spreewell. The guy was a freak of nature and had an unbelievable handle for his size.

Davis can bring the ball from one end of the floor to the other, just like Giannis can. He just doesn't use his handle to penetrate in half court sets as much because he actually has a jump shot that he can rely on.

Do you watch these guys at all?
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#214 » by LUKE23 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:27 pm

AD is arguably the top player in basketball but he does not have a better handle than Giannis.

There probably aren't five guys in the entire league 6-9 or taller that are better ball handlers. Giannis is elite elite in that area for his size.
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant

Post#215 » by 3Diamantidis » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:27 pm

Newz wrote:

As i said, i disagree :D
But your opinion is respected of course :D
Newz
Banned User

Post#216 » by Newz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:29 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I think what makes Giannis unique is the speed/ball handling combination that he has at the size/length he has. So any comparisons need to start with those three attributes (Size/length, speed, ball handling). It's that combination of attributes currently that allows him to do a decent amount of scoring (nearly 15 ppg per 36 at over .550+ TS) without any type of consistent jumpshot.

I think Giannis is impressive, like real impressive. It's why when I compare him to guys I am comparing him to guys that were all-star level players in their prime (Kukoc), excellent young prospects (Odom) or elite players (Garnett, Davis, Durant).

I just don't get the whole "WE HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE HIM BEFORE!" stuff. There have been plenty of big, mobile players who can handle the basketball, distribute, score and defend multiple positions.

Are they the EXACT same? No. But no two players are the exact same.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#217 » by ampd » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:31 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:
ampd wrote:
breakchains wrote:Either way, Durant's is not lower, as Durant releases way above his head and at the top of his jump (and far quicker to boot).

Yeah its not really possible to have a higher release than Durant in terms of proportion.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcqag8zPJmQ[/youtube]

:lol:
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant

Post#218 » by 3Diamantidis » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:33 pm

If milwaukee could have Noel at C.....
*sighs*
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#219 » by Dcebucks11 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Yeah I dont think AD has a better handle than Giannis either. AD is just a natural scorer.. It's like those kids at your local pick up game who flash their handles but can't actually get the ball through the hoop :) Not that Giannis is one of them
GeoBar
Sophomore
And1: 213

Post#220 » by GeoBar » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:45 pm

Giannis ball handling is understimated..It's much better of what we think.
He was a much better ball handler when he was in Greece and he was 6.8'
He just trying to adjust on his current height.
When Kidd saw Giannis' ball handling abilities in summer league couldn't believe it.
That's why he used him there like a pg(and his court vision of course).Playing the point is not something new for him.
He did that when he was in high school and when he was in Greek 2 league too.
I have seen him doing crazy things with the ball in his hands.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks