ImageImage

Giannis' Development

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,651

Re: Giannis' Development 

Post#421 » by TroyD92 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:35 am

I'd like to see 19-7-3 or something like that.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#422 » by Johnlac1 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:50 am

He's definitely a better player than last year. His outside shooting has come a long way.
I don't know if he'll ever be a huge scorer, but 16-18 ppg is not asking too much. 20 ppg is possible.
However, I get the feeling Parker will be the overall leading scorer for many years with a bunch of other players in the 13-18 ppg range.
mke_design
Analyst
And1: 2,061

Giannis' Development 

Post#423 » by mke_design » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:18 am

Dcebucks11 wrote:
mke_design wrote:
Dcebucks11 wrote:
Id rather have him close to the basket than sitting at the 3 point line, he should watch Anthony davis tape, I think he's a poor mans Davis

I don't think he compares well to Davis at all...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

why not

Davis plays under control 99% of the time, isn't quite as fast or agile. I see a difference in their fluidity and in the fast break. They just "feel" like different players when you watch them. They bring something different, they have different traits that don't compare well in my opinion watching both. Sure when he hits his jumpers its yay poor mans anthony davis, but I think thats disrespectful to the game Giannis has. I agree with the poster about Pippen and those who have also brought up early Lamar Odom. Davis is on another level for what he brings to the 4/5. Giannis brings more to the 3/4. Maybe i'm just butthurt about calling him a poor mans anything.
mke_design
Analyst
And1: 2,061

Giannis' Development 

Post#424 » by mke_design » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:22 am

H2tObes wrote:He reminds me a whole lot of AD when hes nailing midrange jumpers

and he reminds me more of Pippen. Agree to disagree.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#425 » by LUKE23 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:27 am

I've always made the Pippen comparison, and I still see it in his game. A longer Pippen is what he reminds me of.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Post#426 » by Prez » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:36 am

Davis is 100% a big man, with guard-like skills. Giannis is whatever he wants to be...he could be just as much of a big man as he could be a wing. Obviously not saying Giannis is better or is going to be better, but pigeonholing him as a poor man's Davis is taking away from a huge aspect of his game. Davis has guard-like handles as a big...Giannis is pretty much a guard when he's handling the ball. Davis has good passing ability as a big...Giannis can be a legitimate point forward. Davis can step out and guard perimeter players occasionally...Giannis primarily guards perimeter players.

He's too hard to describe because he's got similarities to a bunch of players and even with similar freaks like Durant and Davis, they're not totally the same thing physically. I like the "Lebron playing style in Durant's body" comparison.
RealBucksFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 176

Post#427 » by RealBucksFan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:14 am

First time poster here. I am a huge Giannis fan and I am really optimistic for the Bucks' future.

I think the expectation next season for Giannis should be at least 18 PPG. He is so young and is improving at such a rapid rate that he should see big jumps in production even if he doesn't improve as fast as anticipated. Simply getting more comfortable will lead to him increasing his usage. But I think his improved confidence in his jump shot is real and his release is so smooth that I expect the improvement is real as well - he has made 43 of his last 94 two pointers from beyond 15 feet according to NBA.com. If he keeps shooting jumpers, Giannis should be able to increase his usage rather easily. He is so young and inexperienced that constant improvement should be the norm.

Plus, the coaching staff has a full offseason to prepare to use Giannis more. If he can keep getting the ball on the nail, a la Dirk or Anthony Davis, he should make serious strides as a scorer. I love the Knight-Giannis PnR pre-all star break and hope that continues.

I love Jabari - I was a big fan even before the Bucks drafted him - but I don't think he really will take touches away from Giannis next season. Nerlens Noel, the last player around Jabari's age to tear an ACL, missed his entire rookie season after suffering an ACL tear in February. Jabari tore his ACL in December. A return in time for the start of the season is possible, but I wouldn't expect it. And even if Jabari does return, I doubt he is a high usage player right away. As a rookie, Jabari was really reliant on scoring in transition, off cuts and off offensive rebounds. He did start to get involved in the PnR with soft, David Lee-esque rolls, but he wasn't getting tons of plays run for him pre-injury and even his post-ups were fairly opportunistic late in his season.

I just hope the team is able to rein in MCW's usage. He makes nice lookahead passes in transition, but he tends to wait too long to make passes in the half court. Hopefully he can play like he did in the most recent Nets game more often. I do like seeing him attack mismatches, but he will need to learn to defer to Giannis more in the half court and to be a little more committed to passing it to Middleton off floppy action.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,651

Post#428 » by TroyD92 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:15 am

I don't think Jabari will be back until at least 2 months into the season.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#429 » by Dcebucks11 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:16 am

LUKE23 wrote:I've always made the Pippen comparison, and I still see it in his game. A longer Pippen is what he reminds me of.

I made that comparison before too but I see more Odom / Davis in his game.
RealBucksFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 176

Post#430 » by RealBucksFan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:24 am

Dcebucks11 wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:I've always made the Pippen comparison, and I still see it in his game. A longer Pippen is what he reminds me of.

I made that comparison before too but I see more Odom / Davis in his game.

Giannis is so unique that I think it is difficult to compare his entire game to any one player. I do like how he can face-up drive from the nail, like KD or AD, but his ball handling moves are way different than theirs. He played kinda like Odom during his stretch at PF in November with all the top of the key isos, but that was only a short term thing. I'm not sure anybody is going to really come up with a good comparison based on play style. Most players Giannis's height are not allowed to play on the perimeter the way he does and few do so using the ball handling moves he does.
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,120

Post#431 » by Shaffty » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:09 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShafftyBro/status/588206401954123776[/tweet]

I say playoff teams to save word count but what I really mean are "big games" Games against superstars (Lebron, Curry, Harden, Chris Paul, Wade, Davis, Westbrook) Games against "rivals" (Brooklyn, Chicago) And games against Good teams (Atlanta, Memphis, Portland, Spurs)

I've always had a theory that Giannis is a big game player he plays his best against the best, when he feels like he has to play up to their level, he plays better.

Consider this In the 35 games against the "good" teams he shot 9.8 shots a game. Against everyone else he only shot 9.3. He barely reduced his shots per game, but increased everything else.

Playoff Giannis where he has to bring it all, play his best and every game counts. Will be insane.
imithanos
Starter
And1: 657

Post#432 » by imithanos » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:53 am

I see us starting next season with a starting lineup: MCW-Khris-Giannis-Ersan-Center with Jabari coming from the bench during the first months until he starts feeling comfortable and confident.

So, with this lineup it depends how the coaching stuff will plan the team's offense. I see them pushing Giannis to take more shots. Too much will depend on MCW's evolution. If he can take his passing skills and feel of the game to the next level he will help the team more than if he raises his shooting skills.

If next season Giannis will turn to the primary offense choice he will get >18ppg. Although that will possibly not happen. He will be one of the primary offensive weapons. It's Kidd's team. Even "green-light" Knight could not score more than 18ppg. I see all our starters sharing the ball and scoring over 10ppg.
No hay banda.
GeoBar
Sophomore
And1: 213

Post#433 » by GeoBar » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:38 am

Forget about the stats.
IF "today's Giannis" compared to "Giannis after 2 years" doesn't look like a laughable player then something went wrong.
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#434 » by Prince12 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:57 am

Yeah I'm not getting worked up in his ppg. He changes the game in every facet not just scoring.

On Jabari, a return around Christmas/New Year period would be awesome. I'm fairly certain with no set backs he's be itching to get back for opening night but there is no value in it.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,120

Post#435 » by Shaffty » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:50 am

Shaffty wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShafftyBro/status/588206401954123776[/tweet]

I say playoff teams to save word count but what I really mean are "big games" Games against superstars (Lebron, Curry, Harden, Chris Paul, Wade, Davis, Westbrook) Games against "rivals" (Brooklyn, Chicago) And games against Good teams (Atlanta, Memphis, Portland, Spurs)

I've always had a theory that Giannis is a big game player he plays his best against the best, when he feels like he has to play up to their level, he plays better.

Consider this In the 35 games against the "good" teams he shot 9.8 shots a game. Against everyone else he only shot 9.3. He barely reduced his shots per game, but increased everything else.

Playoff Giannis where he has to bring it all, play his best and every game counts. Will be insane.

cinemakis
Ballboy
And1: 39

Post#436 » by cinemakis » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:35 pm

GIANNIS ANTETOKOUNMPO CAN HELP MILWAUKEE GET THE “CASUAL FANS BUMP” DURING THE NBA PLAYOFFS

http://bloguin.com/crossoverchronicles/ ... yoffs.html

Sorry for my poor English...
cinemakis
Ballboy

Post#437 » by cinemakis » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:45 pm

Giannis Antetokounmpo Is the Next Tracy McGrady

...I was listening to Bill Simmons' podcast "Bill Don't Lie" the other day, when he asked Zach Lowe "how surprised would you be if Giannis was a 29 point per game scorer next season?" Zach responded with a reasonable doubt that it could happen (especially given there's not even a 29 point per game scorer this season). Bill then countered with: "I bet you didn't expect Tracy McGrady to make that jump in 2000," which immediately got me thinking...

cinemakis
Ballboy

Post#438 » by cinemakis » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:48 pm

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#439 » by emunney » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:53 pm

For the fantasy crowd, I expect Giannis to average something like 22-8-4 next year. He's not going to be an All-Star Snub in other words. I'm secretly hoping he doesn't get the big accolades yet, but I suspect we're looking at All-NBA teams the next two years and a Derrick Rose rule contract.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
greekbuck34
RealGM
And1: 11,638

Post#440 » by greekbuck34 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:36 pm

No wonder he was on an "all star game" mod that night. He was looking for couple of plays to please all those Greeks who came to watch him play and couldn't focus on his defense.

Since it wasn't an essential game we can easily forgive him. As you can see from the video he is stunned by the number of the greek supporters in an away game..
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: I think that we will do worse than last season and that Giannis is now just a mere all star. All because we switched from Bud to Griffin.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks