ImageImage

OT: TVs

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

OT: TVs 

Post#1 » by LUKE23 » Wed Apr 1, 2015 3:38 pm

I know there is probably an old thread regarding this topic but I can't find it.

So my Panasonic 42 inch Smart TV went out last night while finishing GoT. Screen just went black and it's now not turning on. I haven't had time to call the manufacturer yet but will probably do so later. There is a red power light blinking but I believe it is shot. I'm not an electronics guy.

I guess my question is, for people that really know this stuff, is assuming that issue can't be fixed, what kind of TV should I be looking at? The Panasonic I purchased was less than two years old, so I'm wary of going that brand again. Which brands are the most dependable? LED the way to go? I'll be buying the new one with my VISA points so cost isn't as big of an issue but I want one that I know is going to last and has good picture quality.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Re: OT: TVs 

Post#2 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Apr 1, 2015 3:48 pm

I've had good luck with LG products. I bought a 55" LED and 40" LED in the fall of 2011 and haven't had issues with them yet. Both have good picture in my opinion. My father in law had issues with one of his Vizio LED's I believe. My only personal experience with Vizio is a bluray player and I wouldn't go that route again. Samsung I think is pretty good.

Surprisingly I still have an old Olevia (RCA brand) 32" LCD flat panel that is still kicking 9 years later. It was a Consumer Reports best bang for your buck buy, and by god its still going. Funny though, the price I paid then I could get a 50+" LED now.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#3 » by Badgerlander » Wed Apr 1, 2015 3:49 pm

I've got 3 Samsung LED tvs that are around 4 years old, love em, haven't had a single problem with them, but none of them are smart
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#4 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Apr 1, 2015 3:50 pm

I'm looking for a TV for my office this week. Leaning toward a 55" Samsung 4k curved. All of my Samsungs have been pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of their Smart TV interface, but I use a Chromecast or Roku most of the time for that stuff, anyway.

If money is no object and you care about colors and all that, get an OLED TV.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#5 » by LUKE23 » Wed Apr 1, 2015 3:54 pm

Samsung appears to be a strong brand quality looking at reviews in general. I do have a 50 inch that I've had a while in my basement currently, so maybe I'll go that route. I was just looking at Amazon, holy crap have TV prices gone down. Samsung 60 inch Smart LED for $997.
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#6 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Apr 1, 2015 3:57 pm

Yeah, man. TVs are "cheap". Especially if you're cool with 1080P.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,285

Post#7 » by Finn » Wed Apr 1, 2015 3:58 pm

Check for a burned out bulb/lamp.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#8 » by Mags FTW » Wed Apr 1, 2015 4:14 pm

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,390

Post#9 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 1, 2015 5:05 pm

So are the curved TV's a gimmick or not?
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#10 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Apr 1, 2015 5:41 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:So are the curved TV's a gimmick or not?

Good question. Listening. And can tell I haven't looked into TVs in awhile, no idea OLED was a thing.
Zeezprah
Analyst
And1: 1,569

Post#11 » by Zeezprah » Wed Apr 1, 2015 5:51 pm

i would never pay much for a tv anymore these days. with technology changing all the time "investing" a ton in a tv just isn't a smart move, IMO.

my tv (42" plasma) went out this past year after 7 years or something like that (sounds almost exactly like what happened to yours). went out the next day and got a new 42" LG LED for $399 plus a $50 target gift card (plus i got 5% off for using my red card). amazon always has solid deals too. there's a pretty decent deal almost every week SOMEWHERE.

if you ask hardcore "picture people", plasma is still probably the best for pure picture (in ideal circumstances). that said, they're being phased out hardcore and they're more expensive.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#12 » by HurricaneKid » Wed Apr 1, 2015 6:00 pm

Look into front PJ. You will never go back.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,448

Post#13 » by steger_3434 » Wed Apr 1, 2015 6:04 pm

I've gotva 4k curved Samsung and I wouldn't say its necessarily a gimmick. It's not as "immersion" filled as Samsung makes it seem, but I do like it better than the flat screens. No problem with viewing angles either. As good if no surprisingly better than flat screens.
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#14 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Apr 1, 2015 7:04 pm

I have no idea if curved TV's are gimmicky. I liked the one's I've seen, though.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#15 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 1, 2015 7:09 pm

I've liked them in the stores but I don't know if I'd get one or not. Manufacturers have to keep coming up with new things. 3D failed. Curved are next up. Most of the talk I've heard is that they are pretty nice.
HurricaneKid
General Manager

Post#16 » by HurricaneKid » Wed Apr 1, 2015 7:33 pm

Keep in mind, viewing angles on curved TVs are more limited... And it costs far more to make them (going to cost YOU).

Is no one willing to discuss projectors? They are at a point where the quality of the images on an entry level projector will literally change your life. I have a 50" plasma I don't even turn on because my 120" screen is 6X bigger and far more immersive.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
HurricaneKid
General Manager

Post#17 » by HurricaneKid » Wed Apr 1, 2015 7:34 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I've liked them in the stores but I don't know if I'd get one or not. Manufacturers have to keep coming up with new things. 3D failed. Curved are next up. Most of the talk I've heard is that they are pretty nice.

You hurt my heart saying 3D is dead. People just don't want to deal with glasses, etc. If you have a decent set up 3D should blow your mind.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#18 » by chuckleslove » Wed Apr 1, 2015 7:42 pm

I'm definitely a Samsung guy, have a 60" Smart TV mounted in my living room, a 42" non smart(Kindle TV stick to make it mostly smart) in my bedroom and a 32" Smart TV for my guest room. I also had an old 46" LCD that still works I believe, sold it to GAD about 2 years ago when it was 4 years old.

Dollar for dollar they seem to be the best.

4k resolution is definitely not a gimmick, not necessary quite yet but coming down in price and is the future. I'm not sold on curved TVs just like I was never sold on 3D but they could stick around. If it was me I would buy a relatively reasonably priced LED and wait to see what happens with curved before investing in a 4k. You can get some decent 60" Samsung LED 1080p TVs for $800 or so if you wait for the sale(might not be an option with your old TV dying).
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#19 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 1, 2015 8:14 pm

When there is sufficient content 4K's will rock.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#20 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Apr 1, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm a Samsung guy at heart, but about four years ago I took a chance on a very well reviewed (by critics and users) 55" LED-LCD from...Vizio. Haven't had a single problem, it looks beautiful, has all the bells and whistles. It broke the mold, I suppose - maybe because they didn't cheapen the model to sell it at Walmart. But either way, it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

With that said, I'm sure a lot has changed since then.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks