ImageImage

My Take on MVPs of years past

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Nightfall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,278

Re: 

Post#21 » by Nightfall » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:50 pm

HKPackFan wrote:Wait. Larry sanders graded out higher than Giannis?

He probably shares herbal tea with the OP. :lol:
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Re: My Take on MVPs of years past 

Post#22 » by worthlessBucks » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:50 pm

A primer for the draft.
Go Bucks!
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

My Take on MVPs of years past 

Post#23 » by Nowak008 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:52 pm

Lol perfect way to start the weekend. Great work.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,674

Post#24 » by chonestown » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:06 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
chonestown wrote:
Newz wrote:When I woke up I didn't realize I would be reading the greatest piece of literature that man has ever produced.

PS: Norm McDonald is the GOAT.

The real GOAT is, you guessed it, Frank Stallone.

Which further proves my theory...

Richard Simmons is gay.

And for the first time since the survey was taken, the new number one worst job in America is assistant crack whore. Following at number two is crack whore.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,952

Post#25 » by Jez2983 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:38 am

I've learnt so much in this thread.

For example, how often is the league wrong in their voting?

Also, in 1979,-80, there were 5 equal Most Valuable Players in the League? Amazing.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#26 » by Ill-yasova » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:53 pm

Getting this before we get Little Cleo's draft thread feels like getting dessert before your dinner. Sinfully decadent and scrumptious.
little_cleo
Sophomore
And1: 166

Post#27 » by little_cleo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:19 pm

Relating back to the 1974-75 regular season, it is very reasonable for one to place more value on Elvin Hayes over Bill Walton due to the factor of a complete season over a 42% season. Each player that I listed on this post are relating to my grades and not my rank. Since I keep my exact grades on each player secret, I can understand why it could/would be confusing …without spilling directly my methods of grading I’ll outline this year on how I would really rank those players that year.
1. Bob McAdoo
2. Rick Barry & Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (tied for second)
4. Bob Lanier
5. Dave Cowens
6. Billy Cunningham
7. Pete Maravich
8. Tiny Archibald
9. Bill Walton
10. Elvin Hayes

Almost no change for this case year, so why Walton over Hayes? Simply put Walton was much more effective on enhancing his team with his passing ability than Hayes.

1990-91

1. Michael Jordan
2. Michael Adams
3. Magic Johnson
4. John Stockton
5. Kevin Johnson
6. David Robinson
7. Tim Hardaway
8. Charles Barkley
9. Karl Malone
10. Patrick Ewing

2014-2015

1. Russell Westbrook
2. Stephen Curry
3. Chris Paul
4. James Harden
5. LeBron James
6. DeMarcus Cousins
7. Anthony Davis
8. John Wall
9. Blake Griffin
10. Kevin Durant

Yes, I incorrectly stated that I would vote Curry over Westbrook earlier, I broke my cardinal rule on judging a player on his merits and not giving excuses on why they shouldn’t earn the MVP – due to outside circumstances that one player can’t control alone. Westbrook’s work overall even on a limited scale was superior to Stephen Curry. I rushed my statement for this year.

1979-80
1. Julius Erving
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. George Gervin
4. Moses Malone
5. Michael Richardson
6. Larry Bird
7. Magic Johnson
8. Walter Davis
9. Dan Issel
10. Bill Walton

There is no five player tie for MVP, players like Bill Walton, Gilbert Arenas, Sam Cassell etc… during certain years are very unusual outliers…they existed so I account for them, I don’t find it difficult to organize those type of facts, I just for this post put the top ten “grades” for each year not my rank. I just thought 10 was a good number to round off. Since I like looking back at basketball history, I thought I’d share with those who’d enjoy simple lists. I myself looked at Bill Simmon’s book on ranking basketball players of all time, I don’t agree with most of it, but its creative thinking and learning. Mount Rushmore of basketball being the popular term, I only see three clear cut members: Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson. Simmons like others are Bill Russell attached, I view him as a top 15 of all time but I wouldn’t put him on the same “Mount Rushmore” with those three.

Back to the 1979-80 list, could someone not listed pass up Bill Walton on the 10 spot, yes it’s possible, I don’t have my complete notes on me and I can’t remember exactly in my head for that year. But I can guarantee that player or even players wouldn’t change the top of the MVP race.

You shouldn't just agree with my judgment because I put lots of names up, it’s always subjective on how talent is accessed – I’ve been attempting for years on how to determine “the best player” it’s almost impossible to have the ultimate list because so many factors go into judging a player. Do you judge a player on his complete career? What happens when that player’s career is cut short by injuries and isn’t the same player, like a Bill Walton, Grant Hill or even more average players like Sam Bowie, Shawn Livingston etc… Do you just honor their best playing year? Since most great players pay over different eras –how can one season be equal to another? Even players in the same year, same conference, they don’t play the exact same schedule … teams like the spurs rest their players…is a win over the spurs team minus a Duncan, Parker etc… less of a statistical feather or the opposing player? –By how much? Do you determine by using the best 3, 5, or ten years to complete an Ultimate rank? –same problems occur.
Some players even tarnish their career stats by entering the NBA too early to leaving too late.

To those who state I value Larry Sanders over Giannis Antetokounmpo, then you would believe I’d value 10 pounds of pennies over 10 pounds of silver… if you want to believe it –then enjoy. Grades are not my rank and certainly not my overall values on players. It’s just the simplest way I can post a list(s) on here without giving away my methods.

Jabari Parker’s value is more like a “B”, but he was far from being rookie of the year or even in that conversation…if he wasn’t injured, he could of improved but from what I saw early…he wasn’t ready. If I was the Bucks, I’d either sign/trade Khris Middleton or let him walk in free agency, ideally I would enter the DeMarcus Cousins sweepstakes.
rj_dio
Junior
And1: 360

Post#28 » by rj_dio » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:22 pm

Nice to see Baron Davis getting some love. Can't wait for the draft.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#29 » by old skool » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:19 pm

Until now, I had never had an ice cream headache.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks