ImageImage

Bucks players you met and your experiences

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

th87
General Manager
And1: 9,523

Re: Bucks players you met and your experiences 

Post#81 » by th87 » Fri May 1, 2015 6:16 am

Used to work at the old Bayshore Mall as a teenager and ran into Armen Gilliam (back when it was Armon). Said hi, got the wink and the point.

Was friends with a lot of the Badgers football and basketball players, being a student there. All really cool guys, including Ron Dayne during the height of the Heisman race.

Would run into Bucks players at Eve all the time. Gadz, Darvin Ham, Damon Jones, and Joe Smith. All nice enough, but reserved.

Would ALWAYS see Latrell Sprewell out. Often, he'd have a table to himself, and just scowl. We'd see him enough that I wondered if he wondered why he kept running into us.

Gilbert Brown is a pretty nice guy. Got to high five Aaron Rodgers when the Packers went to the White House.

Ran into Scott Williams at a lounge in DC - very nice guy. Was pleasantly surprised I recognized him, but told him I was from Milwaukee and a big Bucks fan, and told him what a travesty that suspension during the 76ers series was. He agreed. Talked a bit more (mostly me just venting about the crappy NBA officiating), and he was very generous with his time.

Speaking of the 76ers series, I also met Mutombo with some of his friends and family. I joked about how upset I was at him for knocking my Bucks out of the ECF. All of them thought that was a riot, except him.

Met Jeff Green right before the draft, when he was potentially projected to the Bucks. I told him he might go to Milwaukee and all his friends started cracking up. Then I had to clarify, like, no, that's a good thing; I'm from Milwaukee originally, etc. Really nice guy.

Met Herb Kohl after a game we lost that knocked us out of playoff contention (and once again), and yes, the purple hat of course. Mentioned the need to tank and rebuild, and got the angry glare, and an icy "Have a nice night." I tried, people.

Happened to be at one of the Kardashians' birthday party in Vegas. Team USA was out there for practice, so we saw Lebron, Bosh, Wade, etc. Seemed reserved, but cool; acknowledged our presence. Except Jordan Farmar (not sure how he ended up there). Seemed to act like he was the coolest person in the universe. I found that hilarious. I was standing near Young Jeezy when a Young Jeezy song came on. I wondered if he'd dance or sing along, but he didn't react in any way.

And this isn't about me directly, but my sister got some small part in a TV show, guest starring Greg Jennings. They, along with his manager, became cool, and she ended up inviting them to my wedding reception, which fortuitously fell during the Packers' bye week (this was before all the fallout and Jennings was loved around here). They told us they would've loved to, but they all needed to catch up with their families. But how badass could that have been?
MilHammer
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#82 » by MilHammer » Fri May 1, 2015 11:24 am

Other side stories, my aunt knew a lot of the Heat when they were in Florida. Supposedly Bosh, Wade, Lebron would always roll out in their matching sports cars and blow khaash. Michael Beasley at the time would hit up clubs in Milwaukee when he was with the Wolves, but the move to Miami supposedly destroyed him as a person. Used to sit in the club all time high on coke, antidepressants, you know it. Just couldnt take the lifestyle in Miami.

Also missed out on meeting Ewing. Couple of my friends were hammered and walked to a small convenience store next to our campus, which is on the outskirts of LA county and they ran into Ewing buying like chips and a candy bar lol.
zjl3
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#83 » by zjl3 » Fri May 1, 2015 10:12 pm

Keyon Dooling was very friendly

Jon Brockman was chill

Sid is always friendly

Damon Jones was outgoing.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#84 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Sat May 2, 2015 3:25 am

Went to the welcome to milwaukee party for Gary Payton. He was really cool to my group, sam cassell was a complete @$$ though. Those two were hanging out together and GP took pics with us and Sam said he doesn't do fan pics.

Scott Williams is a great dude.

Ive always had great experiences with mcglocklin and paschke.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
BuildingBucks
Junior
And1: 161

Post#85 » by BuildingBucks » Sat May 2, 2015 3:44 am

Saw Ersan at a driving range a few summers ago, I didn't really care though because it was Ersan.
Dr Nasty
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#86 » by Dr Nasty » Sat May 2, 2015 5:45 am

Wow, very cool and hilarious to read all the stories from people living in Milwaukee.

I have no NBA player stories, but I went to a Brewer game with a few friends against the Dodgers when I was in high school (mid-to-late 2000's) and sat directly behind Aaron Rodgers and a couple of his buddies. He was definitely the backup QB at this time and was cheering for the Dodgers. We didn't realize it was him until quite a few people came up and bothered him for his autograph. We made a few jokes throughout the game about how annoying that must have been and he was pretty friendly and laughed and talked with us a bit. After the game we said we had nothing for him to autograph, and he suggested he sign our tickets. Super nice guy and definitely a cool thing to happen to a high school age me.

Also, for whatever reason, I remember that he got two servings of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. Seemed to be a fan of that.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,118

Post#87 » by LittleRooster » Sat May 2, 2015 12:57 pm

Dr Nasty wrote:Wow, very cool and hilarious to read all the stories from people living in Milwaukee.

Also, for whatever reason, I remember that he got two servings of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. Seemed to be a fan of that.

:reporter:
SeanE_Boy
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#88 » by SeanE_Boy » Sat May 2, 2015 1:26 pm

Played a game in high school at the Bradley Center. There was a game that night against the Magic. We were all in the visiting locker room after our game talking things over and Patrick Ewing walked in a side door. Looked genuinely lost. He was very apologetic for walking in while we were talking (as if we cared) and hung around a bit and said hi to some of us and signed autographs. Really nice guy. Anytime an athlete goes out of their way to be accessible and nice, they've got my respect always.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#89 » by Thunder Muscle » Sat May 2, 2015 3:37 pm

TyrusRose2425 wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:Noah just seems like he is in his own world, different cat. I think he is arrogant but knows it, doesn't care. Exhibit A...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN0WqSeCKW8[/youtube]

Favre/Chewy used to run kind of wild in MKE from some of the stories I heard too.

He's actually a great guy. Might be a little distant from adults, but he's really great with kids.

There was a cool youtube video of him going up to a little girl (on his own) and really made her day. Pretty cool. Respect that.
brewcitygymratt
Ballboy
And1: 36

Post#90 » by brewcitygymratt » Sat May 2, 2015 10:55 pm

Never met a bucks player but ran into Gary Sheffield several times downtown(club Marilyn) or on water st back in the day and he was always pretty cool. Darryl Hamilton was an arrogant jag and I thought my Korean friend was going to get in a fight with him. Would not have ended well for Darryl since my Korean friend was a power lifter, wrestler and was taught mixed martial arts since he could walk. Coolest pro athlete I ever met was Tim Harris(packers sack artist) at a club in Waukesha(of all places).

I'm in a wheelchair from an industrial accident as a teen but back then I was a multiple world record holder in the bench press. He got down on one knee so we could talk eye to eye and carried on a lengthy conversation about football, powerlifting and the ladies. We sat and bullshitted like we had known each other for awhile. Very cool dude.

brewcitygymratt
Ballboy
And1: 36

Post#91 » by brewcitygymratt » Sat May 2, 2015 11:00 pm

Oh and my bro-in-law owns Scotty's pub on the south side and favre, winters and chmura often stopped down at his club when they were all packers. Occasionally chuck Cecil would join them, he was a crazy dude. They all REALLY loved to party hard when in Milwaukee.

GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,383

Post#92 » by GoldenAntlers » Sun May 3, 2015 12:51 am

Not a Bucks player, but I worked at a hotel downtown about 10 years ago where visiting teams would stay.

I brought room service to Chris Webber in what was one of his final years. It was around all-star break. I asked him, "are you playing in the game this weekend?" He shook his head No, so I told him, "Well, you're still an all-star to me," then left.

Lol he had a big smile after that one.

Few others I remember were Juwan Howard, Jalen Rose (3/5ths of the fab 5!) and T-Mac.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#93 » by stellation » Sun May 3, 2015 10:12 pm

Somewhere in Racine Gery's taking notes for future scoops.
#FreeChuckDiesel
SpursNBucks
Banned User
And1: 113

Post#94 » by SpursNBucks » Sun May 3, 2015 10:30 pm

brewcitygymratt wrote:Never met a bucks player but ran into Gary Sheffield several times downtown(club Marilyn) or on water st back in the day and he was always pretty cool. Darryl Hamilton was an arrogant jag and I thought my Korean friend was going to get in a fight with him. Would not have ended well for Darryl since my Korean friend was a power lifter, wrestler and was taught mixed martial arts since he could walk. Coolest pro athlete I ever met was Tim Harris(packers sack artist) at a club in Waukesha(of all places).

I'm in a wheelchair from an industrial accident as a teen but back then I was a multiple world record holder in the bench press. He got down on one knee so we could talk eye to eye and carried on a lengthy conversation about football, powerlifting and the ladies. We sat and **** like we had known each other for awhile. Very cool dude.

I heard the same thing about him. Thanks for sharing
I'm glad I started this thread - it's real entertaining hearing all these great stories. I thought it would be a nice break from some of the other stuff.

I was just at the gas station today - I live in an area of San Antonio called Stone Oak- it's up in the "hill country" kind of new money area - developed in last 10-15 years. Anyways I ran into David Robinson at this gas station here and talked for a while -he was at the pump next to me. I don't know what it;s like weather wise back there, but already hitting mid/upper 80's here every day. 90's 100's be here soon - ugh!
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#95 » by Treebeard » Sun May 3, 2015 10:45 pm

SpursNBucks wrote:I heard the same thing about him. Thanks for sharing
I'm glad I started this thread - it's real entertaining hearing all these great stories. I thought it would be a nice break from some of the other stuff.

I was just at the gas station today - I live in an area of San Antonio called Stone Oak- it's up in the "hill country" kind of new money area - developed in last 10-15 years. Anyways I ran into David Robinson at this gas station here and talked for a while -he was at the pump next to me. I don't know what it;s like weather wise back there, but already hitting mid/upper 80's here every day. 90's 100's be here soon - ugh!

This thread was a great idea - Thanks! I found it very interesting that most of our interactions with these guys were largely positive.

It hit 82* F here today in Western Wisconsin. That's un-seasonably warm for this time of year. Mid 60's would be the norm for today....
jtf150
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#96 » by jtf150 » Sun May 3, 2015 11:07 pm

I pulled up to a gas pump in Hartland and in the next pump over was Jon McGlocklin. I said hi to him and a few other things, he seemed like a nice guy.
“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''” - Muhammad Ali
bbbarnett47
Junior
And1: 130

Post#97 » by bbbarnett47 » Mon May 4, 2015 5:58 pm

Saw Giannis at sobelmans last summer. My father and I got a picture with him but didn't really say much. Also saw Khris Middleton driving once, if that counts lol.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#98 » by HurricaneKid » Mon May 4, 2015 7:28 pm

glenn wrote:Nothing too good, but here’s what I got:

Saw Desmond Mason purchase a Rosetta Stone program at Borders in Fox Point (I worked there briefly after college). Didn’t talk to him.

Saw Tom Crean browsing the Christian music section, again at Borders. I asked if he needed help and he grunted. I took that as a “no.”

Saw Henson at the Apple Store at Bayshore several months back ( I think around the time of his injury). At first I just thought he was a really, really tall teenager. He looks young and is damn tall.

When I lived in Eau Claire, Rodgers, Tauscher, and Nick Barnett came to visit a local high school. That night they decided to go to the sleaziest bar on Water Street (yes, Eau Claire also has a Water Street). This was back when Rodgers was on IR with a broken foot, and I heard he was drunk and jumping on Tauscher’s back. I always found that funny. I guess Barnett kept buying bottles for the drunk kids and everyone had a good time.

As a UWEC alum who spent quite a bit more than his fair share of time on Water St I'm trying to figure out which "sleazy" bar you are talking about. The owners of Shenans were jailed for taking advantage of a passed out woman, Pioneer Paul is CRAZY, House of Rock is hilariously dumpy. I'd bet you mean The Pickle. But by then plenty of other establishments were every bit as bad if not worse by then.

I was in LA when Gadzuric got drafted and was flying back as he was flying in to meet with the team. I heard him on the phone talking to one of his boys talking about how he was going to start for Milwaukee. Pretty cocky for a 2nd round pick (sadly, he did start quite a few games). Had the "crazy eyes". He was polite enough
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#99 » by ackypoo » Mon May 4, 2015 8:17 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
glenn wrote:Nothing too good, but here’s what I got:

Saw Desmond Mason purchase a Rosetta Stone program at Borders in Fox Point (I worked there briefly after college). Didn’t talk to him.

Saw Tom Crean browsing the Christian music section, again at Borders. I asked if he needed help and he grunted. I took that as a “no.”

Saw Henson at the Apple Store at Bayshore several months back ( I think around the time of his injury). At first I just thought he was a really, really tall teenager. He looks young and is damn tall.

When I lived in Eau Claire, Rodgers, Tauscher, and Nick Barnett came to visit a local high school. That night they decided to go to the sleaziest bar on Water Street (yes, Eau Claire also has a Water Street). This was back when Rodgers was on IR with a broken foot, and I heard he was drunk and jumping on Tauscher’s back. I always found that funny. I guess Barnett kept buying bottles for the drunk kids and everyone had a good time.

As a UWEC alum who spent quite a bit more than his fair share of time on Water St I'm trying to figure out which "sleazy" bar you are talking about. The owners of Shenans were jailed for taking advantage of a passed out woman, Pioneer Paul is CRAZY, House of Rock is hilariously dumpy. I'd bet you mean The Pickle. But by then plenty of other establishments were every bit as bad if not worse by then.

I was in LA when Gadzuric got drafted and was flying back as he was flying in to meet with the team. I heard him on the phone talking to one of his boys talking about how he was going to start for Milwaukee. Pretty cocky for a 2nd round pick (sadly, he did start quite a few games). Had the "crazy eyes". He was polite enough

is the dirty pickle the same as the nasty habit?
James1980
Veteran
And1: 380

Post#100 » by James1980 » Mon May 4, 2015 8:21 pm

I've seen Pryzbilla about 10 times in Brookfield, saw Brian Skinner at Sendick's when he was a buck, and saw Zaza at Mayfair last time he was a Buck.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks