Jared Dudley on ESPN this morning

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

abe5150
Ballboy
And1: 35

Jared Dudley on ESPN this morning 

Post#1 » by abe5150 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:30 pm

Wednesday morning, May 27th

Bucks' Jared Dudley was on ESPN First Take and ESPN His and Hers this morning. I was impressed by him. He is well spoken and has good insight and has a future as an ex-jock analyst.

Stephen A and Skip asked Dudley specifically about Jason Kidd, a a coach they both admire greatly. Some highlhights from Dudley. Some of this is my own added "color" as to what Duds was trying to say.

(a) Dudley said how he was pleasantly surprised how Kidd is always calm and in control. Never gets too high or too low with his emotions. Skip asked directly if Kidd ever raises his voice and Dudley said "at times". But Duds also said Kidd doesn't like to raise his voice to get his point across.

So those of you hoping for a demonstrative, Stan Van Gundy type -- you won't see that out of Kidd. He was like that as a player. The only time I have seen Kidd totally "lose it" is when a player hits a game winning shot. Seen that both as a player and a coach.

(b) His emphasis is on defense. He will take guys out for not paying attention on defense. He wants more free-flowing and unstructured on offense but is not forgiving on defense.

(c) Kidd will hold guys accountable, from the best player to the worst. He is harder on the young guys like Jabari and Giannis, as he wants them to learn the right way and not develop bad habits.

This explains those mysterious times when Giannis did not play. He was benched on purpose, most likely for bad defensive play.

(d) Kidd and his assistants are "gym rats", practically sleeping at the practice facility.

Stephen A said that while Kidd has a brilliant basketball mind, he was shocked how well he did as a coach in Milwaukee. And he asked if it was more than just his natural ability to connect with players as a recent ex-player. He asked about play calling, etc.

(e) Contrary to popular belief, Kidd does draw up plays. The game winner against the Bulls was a pass from Dudley, who said that Kidd drew up that play.

(f) Set the tone early on with his expectations. Especially Jabari and Giannis, as they are the future of the franchise.

(g) Again went to accountability. Not afraid to take guys out after 2-3 minutes, Greg Popp style. Instructed for Giannis to stop bricking 3's at 10% and focus on other areas of his game first. Or he would not play.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Re: Jared Dudley on ESPN this morning 

Post#2 » by Licensed to Il » Wed May 27, 2015 6:46 pm

If anyone has 5 minutes and wants some laughs, like slam magazine on facebook, then read the comment section on the link about Dud's quote about player's not wanting to play with Kobe. I promise you, its like reading a forumn of the dumbest basketball fans on the earth!
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#3 » by drew881 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:58 pm

Anything about his contract status? I doubt Steven and Skip even know anything about this, but worth asking.
Serge28
RealGM
And1: 1,733

Post#4 » by Serge28 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:09 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SSdIq6-Nkc[/youtube]

Really worth a watch. Love how Dudley comes off - candid, intelligent, and articulate.
Sky High
Sixth Man
And1: 280

Post#5 » by Sky High » Wed May 27, 2015 7:09 pm

I'll be Youtubin' all of his ESPN spots tonight. Always great having a Bucks player in the National Spotlight. Dudley is the perfect guy to make the rounds at ESPN representing our team and city. He's just a very down to earth, knowledgable and cool guy. He'll have an amazing career in the media after retiring from the NBA.
ClassicJack
Lead Assistant
And1: 965

Post#6 » by ClassicJack » Wed May 27, 2015 7:12 pm

[quote="drew881"]Anything about his contract status? I doubt Steven and Skip even know anything about this, but worth asking.[/quote]

Not much specifically. He just said he is 80-90% sure he would be returning to the Bucks and that he does want to return to continue to help the young guys develop but this is a business so you never really know.
F*** Marc Davis, f*** Tim Donaghy and f*** David Stern as a staff, record label and as a mothaf**kin crew......and if you wanna be down with Stern then F*** YOU TOO!!! Stu Jackson f*** you too.....all you mothaf**kas F*** YOU TOO!!!!
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#7 » by tski1972 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:19 pm

Serge28 wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SSdIq6-Nkc[/youtube]

Really worth a watch. Love how Dudley comes off - candid, intelligent, and articulate.

not hard to do when you consider the company.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#8 » by HurricaneKid » Wed May 27, 2015 7:36 pm

He also spoke ill of Melo, Kobe, etc. On one hand, I appreciate hearing the thoughts of players. But mostly, I can see Kobe and Melo resting up for a week to crush the Bucks next year.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#9 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 27, 2015 7:42 pm

A little odd he didn't give a definitive answer on being back. He's the one who controls his destiny on that front. Leaving the door open to opting out is interesting.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#10 » by machu46 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:49 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:A little odd he didn't give a definitive answer on being back. He's the one who controls his destiny on that front. Leaving the door open to opting out is interesting.

I always got the impression that he would opt out and take less if we wanted him to and that it's basically up to us to tell him if we want him back or not, but that's just me reading tea leaves from what he's said.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Buck Dweller
Starter
And1: 988

Post#11 » by Buck Dweller » Wed May 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Villanoeyebrows wrote:If anyone has 5 minutes and wants some laughs, like slam magazine on facebook, then read the comment section on the link about Dud's quote about player's not wanting to play with Kobe. I promise you, its like reading a forumn of the dumbest basketball fans on the earth!

Oh, I got plenty of that on the NBA subreddit. Angry Lakers fans left and right.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#12 » by M-C-G » Wed May 27, 2015 7:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:A little odd he didn't give a definitive answer on being back. He's the one who controls his destiny on that front. Leaving the door open to opting out is interesting.

Probably opting in as a back up plan? If we are offering a 2 year 7M deal, probably weighing his options of opting in and becoming a free agent next year?
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#13 » by Treebeard » Wed May 27, 2015 7:53 pm

Given his lackluster performance for much of the second half of the season, his agent may be scrabbling a bit to find a better offer. I'll give Dudley a nagging injury mulligan on a lot of that performance drop off, but that has to concern other GM's too.

Dudley's probably just leaving the door open a crack for his agent to keep working on a longer term deal.
Bucks_MacGyver
Sixth Man
And1: 339

Post#14 » by Bucks_MacGyver » Wed May 27, 2015 7:53 pm

ClassicJack wrote:
drew881 wrote:Anything about his contract status? I doubt Steven and Skip even know anything about this, but worth asking.

Not much specifically. He just said he is 80-90% sure he would be returning to the Bucks and that he does want to return to continue to help the young guys develop but this is a business so you never really know.

they asked him on sportscenter about his contract he pretty much repeated everything hes said on the articles. Saying at age 29 he thinks his value in the NBA is to be a veteran leader to help young players and says Jabari and Giannis are the franchise and he thinks his value is to help them lead this team.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#15 » by Licensed to Il » Wed May 27, 2015 7:56 pm

There were more than one comments about how Dudley should beg for an opportunity to play with a champion like Kobe. And there was much talk of rings.

I find it ironic when people choose to believe the narrative that Kobe is a champion because he is more focussed than any other player has ever been. He has lived a life of genetic and economic privilege... His ego broke up a dynasty pairing with Shaq... Phil tried to trade him on several occasions because he is so selfish... And he signed for the max in his twilight which is cool for him but exchanged any hope of winning with one last big payday. So the notion that he is the ultimate competitor and champion is probably based more in nike commercials than on reality.
Cold Crush 24
Sixth Man
And1: 151

Post#16 » by Cold Crush 24 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:56 pm

Dudz locking up his post NBA broadcasting career. Love how candid he is.
Finals in 2017
MadBlueEdwards
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#17 » by MadBlueEdwards » Wed May 27, 2015 7:56 pm

I want Jared Dudley to be my best friend.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#18 » by Newz » Wed May 27, 2015 7:58 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:He also spoke ill of Melo, Kobe, etc. On one hand, I appreciate hearing the thoughts of players. But mostly, I can see Kobe and Melo resting up for a week to crush the Bucks next year.

I hope Kobe tries to crush us. I'm pretty sure that would be him tossing up 30 shots, making about 35% of them and screaming at his teammates.
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#19 » by DutchManDanFan » Wed May 27, 2015 8:00 pm

Sky High wrote:I'll be Youtubin' all of his ESPN spots tonight.

For this: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi1tnG4r024[/youtube]?
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Post#20 » by Prez » Wed May 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Lmao at SAS's Bogut hate. Dude doesn't even try to be objective.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks