ImageImage

Did Bucks make promise to draft Jarell Martin?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Re: Did Bucks make promise to draft Jarell Martin? 

Post#41 » by machu46 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:48 pm

TroyD92 wrote:
midranger wrote:I like Martin. He's a bouncy, bowling ball type guy, who is really not undersized for the PF position. These guys stick around if they have decent basketball IQ. Martin seems to have that.

His 6'9 reach is alarming to me. I don't think I've ever seen an NBA player who's wingspan was the same as his height lol.

To be fair, he's 6'8" in shoes with about a 6'10" wingspan, so it's not actually the same as his height. He has the same standing reach as Markieff Morris, Joakim Noah, Josh Smith, David Lee, and a few others.

His max vert reach is the same as Kevin Love, Tiago Splitter, Tobias Harris, and Julius Randle.

Comparing max vert reach's is pretty hilarious though. For example, Nick Young has the same max vert reach as all these guys. Same with Zach LaVine.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,482

Post#42 » by SupremeHustle » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:50 pm

This guy took my Martin speculation and turned it into a blog post/article or something.

http://hoopshabit.com/2015/06/18/milwaukee-bucks-promise-draft-jarell-martin/
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,014

Post#43 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:55 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:This guy took my Martin speculation and turned it into a blog post/article or something.

That's big. You should make a separate thread for this so we can discuss it.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#44 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:58 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:This guy took my Martin speculation and turned it into a blog post/article or something.

That's big. You should make a separate thread for this so we can discuss it.

After that is everyone cool with me creating a blog and then a new blog post about that new thread?

In all serious folks, at #17 why would you promise anyone that you will draft them? Too much can happen and perhaps Aaron Rodgers falls in your lap.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#45 » by Badgerlander » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:06 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/13107246/nba-draft-how-pros-do-ranking-prospects-tiers
How the pros do it: Ranking NBA draft prospects by tiers
Ford
Tier 6

Cliff Alexander, PF, Kansas

Anthony Brown, SG, Stanford

Rakeem Christmas, F/C, Syracuse

Dakari Johnson, C, Kentucky

Olivier Hanlan, G, Boston College

Guillermo Hernangomez, C, Spain

Jarell Martin, PF, LSU

Chris McCullough, F, Syracuse

Cedi Osman, F, Turkey

Robert Upshaw, C, Washington

Christian Wood, PF, UNLV

Joseph Young, G, Oregon

Note: In this tier are the players whom at least one team ranked in their top 30. A few -- Brown, Martin and McCullough -- got Tier 5 votes. The rest are likely second-round picks. This list is typically quite a bit longer. Again, the talent level of the draft drops off a cliff as we get into these lower tiers.

Like every draft system, the tier system isn't perfect. But the teams that run it have found success with it. It has allowed them to get help through the draft without overreaching. Compared to traditional top-30 lists or mock drafts, it seems like a much more precise tool for gauging which players a team should draft.

I don't know that I'd pick any of these guys in the first round, maybe Willy or Brown
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
wisconsinjr
Junior
And1: 29

Post#46 » by wisconsinjr » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:09 pm

I have to say ... after watching more film of him, he is definitely a quick twitch player - which is an optimal trait for a scoring forward in the NBA. The spins and first step are mighty impressive. As are his ability to finish around the basket - with both finesse and power. And he is a smooth athlete with the ball in transition and on the move.

I wouldn't be mad at the pick. And i think his ceiling is definitely higher than other prospects we've been looking at. We'd have to coach the tunnel vision out of him some and work on this defensive effort/awareness.

That said, is this the kind of player we are looking to add. Does the "safe" all around play/size of Portis trump Martin's athleticism, skill set and upside? Truthfully, I'm undecided there. But I think I would prefer him over Anderson, Grant, RHJ, and Hunter.
KingCammo wrote:I'm going to get "I heart Brandon Jennings" tattoed on my wang, fly over to Vegas and get that stupid **** commentator to suck it.
Buck Dweller
Starter
And1: 988

Did Bucks make promise to draft Jarell Martin? 

Post#47 » by Buck Dweller » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:25 pm

We didn't promise him, don't worry.

1. The report about him being promised came before we worked out Hunter, RHJ, Anderson, Portis, etc. If we promised Martin, are we just working those guys out for no reason then?

2. The head scout said something like we're not going to pick someone we haven't worked out. And unless we work him out on Monday, were not working him out. And even if he is here on Monday, why promise him before working him out?

It just makes no sense.
dogswithbeesintheirmouths
Head Coach
And1: 1,985

Post#48 » by dogswithbeesintheirmouths » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:30 pm

It's also possible that nobody promised Martin anything. He didn't say anyone did and he could be pulling out of workouts because of fatigue or another reason, and his agent either plants the story or lets it go because it causes him to gain interest.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#49 » by Badgerlander » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:38 pm

Spoiler:

salsa
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#50 » by salsa » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:48 pm

Btw, to the people saying we haven't worked out Martin.....we saw him workout last weekend in Vegas. Hammond was there.
Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Post#51 » by Buckrageous » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:07 pm

Badgerlander wrote:http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/13107246/nba-draft-how-pros-do-ranking-prospects-tiers
How the pros do it: Ranking NBA draft prospects by tiers
Ford
Tier 6

Cliff Alexander, PF, Kansas

Anthony Brown, SG, Stanford

Rakeem Christmas, F/C, Syracuse

Dakari Johnson, C, Kentucky

Olivier Hanlan, G, Boston College

Guillermo Hernangomez, C, Spain

Jarell Martin, PF, LSU

Chris McCullough, F, Syracuse

Cedi Osman, F, Turkey

Robert Upshaw, C, Washington

Christian Wood, PF, UNLV

Joseph Young, G, Oregon

Note: In this tier are the players whom at least one team ranked in their top 30. A few -- Brown, Martin and McCullough -- got Tier 5 votes. The rest are likely second-round picks. This list is typically quite a bit longer. Again, the talent level of the draft drops off a cliff as we get into these lower tiers.

Like every draft system, the tier system isn't perfect. But the teams that run it have found success with it. It has allowed them to get help through the draft without overreaching. Compared to traditional top-30 lists or mock drafts, it seems like a much more precise tool for gauging which players a team should draft.

I don't know that I'd pick any of these guys in the first round, maybe Willy or Brown

I'd take Alexander in the 1st, in the 2nd he'd be a steal IMO.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#52 » by bigkurty » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:20 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I just don't think the promise is us, think it's Atlanta. I really believe whoever we draft will be a perimeter shooter, regardless of position.

Same here, plus when has Hammond ever made a promise outside do maybe Jabari. It just doesn't make sense. I'm guessing it's OKC.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#53 » by emunney » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:48 pm

BucksIn6ix wrote:We didn't promise him, don't worry.

1. The report about him being promised came before we worked out Hunter, RHJ, Anderson, Portis, etc. If we promised Martin, are we just working those guys out for no reason then?

2. The head scout said something like we're not going to pick someone we haven't worked out. And unless we work him out on Monday, were not working him out. And even if he is here on Monday, why promise him before working him out?

It just makes no sense.

1. a) He could be picked before we pick. b) We could get another pick.

2. We went to his workout in Vegas right before he shut it down.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
On_Wisconsin
Senior
And1: 103

Post#54 » by On_Wisconsin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:49 pm

bigkurty wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:I just don't think the promise is us, think it's Atlanta. I really believe whoever we draft will be a perimeter shooter, regardless of position.

Same here, plus when has Hammond ever made a promise outside do maybe Jabari. It just doesn't make sense. I'm guessing it's OKC.

We promised Inglis at 31 to keep him in the draft
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#55 » by Bernman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:54 pm

Buckrageous wrote:He'd be the first guy Hammond drafted with below average length.

Jabarkley? Tobias?

He's drafted this exact type of player, twice.

That said, it's one of the reasons he wouldn't likely do it again. It'd be redundant at this point.

And they said they like where they're at, have a list of 10 or so players, and will choose the highest ranked on it.

So with those things in mind, the promise wasn't in all likelihood from us, if there even was one. What's the point in promising him? He has an agent. Inglis was an international who could have withdrawn, but we were going to take him, wanted him in the NBA straight away, and would guarantee his contract, so he stayed in.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#56 » by emunney » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:00 pm

Bernman wrote:
Buckrageous wrote:He'd be the first guy Hammond drafted with below average length.

Jabarkley? Tobias?

He's drafted this exact type of player, twice.

That said, it's one of the reasons he wouldn't likely do it again. It'd be redundant at this point.

And they said they like where they're at, have a list of 10 or so players, and will choose the highest ranked on it.

So with those things in mind, the promise wasn't in all likelihood from us, if there even was one. What's the point in promising him? He has an agent. Inglis was an international who could have withdrawn, but we were going to take him, wanted him in the NBA straight away, and would guarantee his contract, so he stayed in.

The prevailing thinking on why you promise a guy like this is that it does make it more likely you get him, because it makes it less likely that somebody behind you falls in love and trades up. Doesn't totally wash with me but there is at least something to it.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Bernman
RealGM

Post#57 » by Bernman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:11 pm

If you don't want someone else to take him you promise them a bag of bagels.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#58 » by Badgerlander » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:14 pm

I think Tobias and Jabari are dead on average length for a SF

Martin would be below average for a PF

Spoiler:

Bernman
RealGM

Post#59 » by Bernman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Martin has the lateral quicks/athleticism, handle, and drive game to play sf, like they do. It's more about consistency in dedication and outside shot. But both those things can be improved. Our guys had their warts in the outside shot dept coming in. Martin has a 6'10" wingspan/8'10.5" standing reach. Jabari's last measurement was 6'11.5"/8'8". Tobias' 6'11"/8'7.5". So they have similar overall length. Actually, Martin's is actually better as far as projecting up to the pf position if he needs to, because standing reach is more relevant. His standing reach is actually a little better than the likes of Griffin/Love. Same as Noah, just short of Horford, who've been big time centers. So no, he doesn't have bad length for a sf/pf, and worse than Tobias/Parker.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#60 » by machu46 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:34 pm

Badgerlander wrote:I think Tobias and Jabari are dead on average length for a SF

Martin would be below average for a PF

Same reach as Markieff Morris, Joakim Noah, Josh Smith, David Lee, and a few others; same max vert reach as Kevin Love, Tiago Splitter, and Julius Randle

He doesn't have a length advantage or anything but he should be fine as a PF; especially in today's NBA.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks