ImageImage

Stein: Bucks acquire Vasquez

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,838

Re: Stein: Bucks acquire Vasquez 

Post#861 » by VooDoo7 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 10:47 pm

GV talking to the local media. He certainly talks the talk. Mentions the Bucks new logo as one of his favorite parts to coning to MKE. Lots of stuff there.

http://on.nba.com/1COoAoA
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#862 » by Nowak008 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 10:51 pm

Trade certainly looks a lot better after the Monroe signing. I never thought the picks mattered too much, was just scared the trade would derail our FA maneuvering. Apparently that didn't matter much. Really like the trade now.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,775

Post#863 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Jul 2, 2015 10:59 pm

Trade still was dumb.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,776

Post#864 » by Ayt » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:30 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:Trade still was dumb.

What is the protection on the pick? The Clips had the 28th pick in this last draft. I can't say I'm overly concerned about trading a pick in the 25+ range in the next draft for a clear upgrade at backup PG (who can also be used to motivate MCW). Our PG play, and guard play in general, last year was **** horrific.
Nycballa2k
Bench Warmer
And1: 356

Post#865 » by Nycballa2k » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:35 pm

Ayt wrote:

What is the protection on the pick? The Clips had the 28th pick in this last draft. I can't say I'm overly concerned about trading a pick in the 25+ range in the next draft for a clear upgrade at backup PG (who can also be used to motivate MCW). Our PG play, and guard play in general, last year was **** horrific.

pretty much lottery protected for a PG with size, who can shoot, pass and make plays without making too many mistakes.

But wouldn't be the Bucks board if someone didn't chime it with doom and gloom over the most insignificant moves. I'm pretty sure this is the same group of people who called last year's draft a bust because we didn't get the 2nd rounder they wanted despite getting the 2nd overall pick
Gore_21
Junior
And1: 20

Post#866 » by Gore_21 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:48 pm

I will say didn't like the trade and wish we would have traded just a 2nd and not the late 1st as well but with Monroe joining the team it looks better now. If MCW struggles Vasquez can pick up the slack. Since we aren't doing as slow of a rebuild as we thought (especially now with monroe) and we are hopefully ready to contend in the east we might need a proven vet PG in case MCW struggles. Worst comes to worst MCW plays well and we can move Vasquez at the deadline or just keep him and then let him go after this season. At least he's only signed for this year and not 3-4 at 6 per.
Formerly Bucks_22
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,606

Post#867 » by Balls2TheWalls » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:57 pm

Ayt wrote:

Yeah, I think it is just lottery protected. It will depend on how the Clippers look this year if they lose DJ. The difference between trading the #16 pick and the #28 pick is very different.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
rarjake
Junior
And1: 44

Post#868 » by rarjake » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:46 pm

Yeah, but the clippers are expected to be good, for the next few years. So is there a chance we traded the 17th pick? Sure, but its not that likely. Vasquez can help us win now, and he will be a great influence on MCW.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#869 » by Treebeard » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:57 pm

rarjake wrote:..... Vasquez can help us win now, and he will be a great influence on MCW.

Vasquez presence should put the Fear-Of-God in MCW. Unlike Bayless or Ennis, Vasquez could replace MCW as a starter/big minutes player with the current core. MCW becomes more replaceable, if he fails to advance.
newerabucks
Senior
And1: 130

Post#870 » by newerabucks » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:59 pm

Nowak008 wrote:Trade certainly looks a lot better after the Monroe signing. I never thought the picks mattered too much, was just scared the trade would derail our FA maneuvering. Apparently that didn't matter much. Really like the trade now.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Yeah, I never bought into that part of the negativity. I think we need to start giving our front office a little more credit - they did the chess moves, there was 0% they were going to allow a bench acquisition to cost us a shot at signing one of their top free agent targets.

And I predict this trade will rather easily turn out to be a better move than most here anticipate - admittedly, in large part because it's SO hated. Not a very high bar to get over...
newerabucks
Senior
And1: 130

Post#871 » by newerabucks » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:09 pm

And the earliest that Clippers' pick can be conveyed to Toronto is 2017. When we're valuing the pick it's important to be specific.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#872 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:15 pm

newerabucks wrote:And the earliest that Clippers' pick can be conveyed to Toronto is 2017. When we're valuing the pick it's important to be specific.

The trade wasn't great asset management. It just wasn't.

But, I think this board never quite understood how protected and far off this pick was at the time of the deal last year. I think 60% of this board forgot that it had total lotto protection and if the Clips really sucked post 2017, it likely would turn into two second round picks 6-7 years from now.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#873 » by emunney » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:36 pm

Now that we've traded Duds, it's worthwhile pointing out that we'd have another 10m in cap space had we not made this trade. Hope this works out.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Re: 

Post#874 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:58 pm

emunney wrote:Now that we've traded Duds, it's worthwhile pointing out that we'd have another 10m in cap space had we not made this trade. Hope this works out.

I think it will work out great. Kidd, like most NBA PG coaches (cough Skiles and Terry Porter a decade ago) really understand that their team can go down the drain fast if they don't have 48 minutes of good to average PG play. That means two guys.

I don't see where we would have better spent $6 million given the massive contracts journeymen guys are getting here.

Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#875 » by Badgerlander » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:06 pm

As far as veteran back ups go Greivis and Zaza are probably in the top 5 for their positions in the league. They are ideal mentors for Monroe and MCW and should put on a PnR clinic every day in practice which should help all of our young guys learn the offense and how to defend better in the halfcourt.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#876 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:07 pm

Badgerlander wrote:As far as veteran back ups go Greivis and Zaza are probably in the top 5 for their positions in the league. They are ideal mentors for Monroe and MCW and should put on a PnR clinic every day in practice which should help all of our young guys learn the offense and how to defend better in the halfcourt.

Yeah, Greivis is the guy we'll see replace Dudley's three point shooting. Both those guys are locks to be here and get minutes. I'd say Greivis plays 25mpg and ZaZa 15mpg next year if he stays healthy.

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#877 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:12 pm

Do it for Chuck
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#878 » by europa » Fri Jul 3, 2015 7:25 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
newerabucks wrote:And the earliest that Clippers' pick can be conveyed to Toronto is 2017. When we're valuing the pick it's important to be specific.

The trade wasn't great asset management. It just wasn't.

I think the Bucks clearly overpaid but I also think it's the type of move that as the season plays out the sting will be felt considerably less than is the case now. I think Vasquez will prove to be an upgrade at PG behind MCW and his ability to shoot the 3 will help a team that now has a legit post presence defenses need to be concerned about. And like you said, I think his presence can help keep MCW on his toes as well. Unlike Skiles and Jennings, I don't see Kidd playing MCW if his performance on the court is undermining the team in any way.
Nothing will not break me.
Bucks_MacGyver
Sixth Man
And1: 339

Post#879 » by Bucks_MacGyver » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:19 pm

you guys do know if the clippers miss the playoff in 2017 that pick turns into a second round pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,775

Post#880 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:21 pm

Bucks_MacGyver wrote:you guys do know if the clippers miss the playoff in 2017 that pick turns into a second round pick.

Yup, still dumb.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”

Return to Milwaukee Bucks