ImageImage

ATL - Dog Days of Summer (RIP Daryl Dawkins pg 36)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Re: RE: Re: ATL - Dog Days of Summer (RIP Daryl Dawkins pg 36) 

Post#741 » by vegaspacker » Sat Sep 5, 2015 7:32 am

Aaron It Out wrote:
mcfromage wrote:Kendall Marshall signing with the 76ers.

Does this mean we lost the MCW trade?

Haha.... Hope not, would have dug Marshall in Green Cream n Blue.
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
Miasma
Rookie
And1: 1,422

Re: ATL - Dog Days of Summer (RIP Daryl Dawkins pg 36) 

Post#742 » by Miasma » Sat Sep 5, 2015 7:22 pm

How have I never seen this before lol

Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#743 » by Badgerlander » Wed Sep 9, 2015 12:40 am

RIP DIVISIONS!!!!! FINALLY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#744 » by stellation » Wed Sep 9, 2015 1:10 am

Ahhhh, to think what could have been.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt8hafCgcJY&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
#FreeChuckDiesel
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,838

Post#745 » by VooDoo7 » Wed Sep 9, 2015 3:07 am

Badgerlander wrote:RIP DIVISIONS!!!!! FINALLY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall, I like it. And I get it.

But I don't like how winning a division essentially means nothing now.
Flap Jackson
Bench Warmer
And1: 698

Post#746 » by Flap Jackson » Wed Sep 9, 2015 3:18 am

Badgerlander wrote:RIP DIVISIONS!!!!! FINALLY!

I like it as far as playoff seeding, but I love having a distaste for Indiana, Chicago, and Detroit based on division history. I think we lose something here. A second tier tie-breaker and guaranteed 4 games isn't enough to give the rivalries as much meaning. Perhaps they could spread the games against non-division opponents amongst the conferences? That would give 4 games at least a little more meaning.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#747 » by Badgerlander » Wed Sep 9, 2015 12:27 pm

Never cared about divisions at all, really has nothing to do with rivalries imo. I hate the Bulls because of their fans, and Dunleavy has given me plenty to focus that hate on. Next step is balancing the schedule and eliminating conferences imo, let the two best teams vie for the Championship and raise the quality of the games in the playoffs.

Spoiler:

Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#748 » by Siefer » Wed Sep 9, 2015 2:10 pm

Oh, so we're building obnoxious spam into the site now. Neat.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#749 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Sep 9, 2015 9:53 pm

Jorge Gutierrez could be a very valuable Euroleague guard. If he gets squeezed out of the NBA this year I hope he finds himself on one of the top teams in Spain before too long.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#750 » by Badgerlander » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Derek Bodner ‏@DerekBodnerNBA 1m1 minute ago
per @EricPincus, Kendall Marshall's contract was for 4 years, $8 million total, with the first season guaranteed at just over $2.1 million.

Spoiler:

Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,944

Post#751 » by Jez2983 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:13 pm

stellation wrote:Ahhhh, to think what could have been.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt8hafCgcJY&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Man was Boguts D horrible. And his little flip hooks were so ugly :D
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,060

Post#752 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:08 pm

Joe Johnson switching agents to Jeff Schwartz. Get scared boys.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#753 » by Badgerlander » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:31 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:Joe Johnson switching agents to Jeff Schwartz. Get scared boys.

as mentioned in the offseason thread yesterday, scared of what exactly

Spoiler:

Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#754 » by Badgerlander » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:31 pm

This is my interview with Dr. Lyle Mason, continuing from Part I. Lyle was the Jazz physician for 36 years and was kind of enough to sit down with me and talk shop for a couple hours. My questions are in bold; his answers underneath.

Stockton and Malone were famous for coming into training camp with a body-fat-percentage competition, right?

Mason: Yeah. They were always 1, or 2, or 3% body fat, and Karl at 260, or 256 was what he usually came in at. They just worked hard; they kept themselves at that peak level because they were always looking ahead: maybe next year we can still do it. In basketball it’s funny because it’s just kind of a perfect storm: you get these players that come together, and sometimes they don’t fit, and sometimes they do, and we just got this bunch of players together that fit, but then, if that mix changes, sometimes you’re just not as good, and I think that’s really what happened, the mix of the other players wasn’t as good, and then the skill level of our best players started to drop off and you could see the handwriting on the wall. It just wasn’t going to happen.

And then John deciding to step down, that actually came as a surprise. Karl was unaware of it. He didn’t know it, and the coach didn’t know it. John just said, I think he said it to a reporter.

“I think I’m done.”

I know when Karl heard it, he goes, “What?! Are you kidding me? He really said that?” He just was hoping that year would be a move upward, and when it wasn’t… he was what, 39 years old?

I think he was 41?

He played longer than anybody would have expected him to be able to play, and still played at a pretty high level when he quit.

What about Andrei Kirilenko?

Andrea-vich. I always call him that. He was an odd player. I don’t mean that personally, but his skill set was so odd, so unique. Just a unique player. At his size, and to do the things he was able to do. Defensively, he was so dangerous when he got behind you because of his leaping ability. He could score, he could do a lot of things, and he was certainly a different personality than Karl and John. Not as… into greatness. I don’t think he ever looked at it and said, I can be great!—and unfortunately, and I think this was unfortunate, he was picked to the All-Star team early, and I think that hurt him. I think he thought, I’ve arrived, I’m there, I don’t need to get better. He just didn’t have that drive that Karl and John had, but just a great guy. Great player. Very skilled. Very athletic.

Surprisingly athletic.

I don’t know if you know his history, but when he was a kid, at Russia at that time, they picked athletic kids and put them in separate schools. If you look at him, at his build and everything: long, powerful legs; smaller upper body; thin, great jumper, he was in the track and field school to be a high jumper. And then, as he told it, he told them, “I don’t like track and field, I don’t like high jumping; I want to go to into the basketball.” And they said, “Pretty close,” so he switched over to basketball, so all the way up from a kid, he was trained to be a basketball player. And by the time he was 14 or 15 he was a very skilled player, certainly in the junior ranks.

When he came to Salt Lake, I remember he asked if I would take him out to pick up his wife at the airport. So he jumps in the car and we drove out there, I said, “Do you own a car?” He said, “No, I don’t own a car.” I said, “Well, I think Larry H. would probably make you a great deal on a car.” He said, “You think I can have a car?” Yeah, I think you can have a car. That was the first time I think it really dawned on him that this money is going to make a difference for [him].

The other funny thing about Kirilenko is he was not driven by money. He’s a very generous guy. He told me that they had an apartment in Moscow and the building was rundown, as every apartment in Moscow is, and so he ended up remodeling the entire building for all the tenants. He didn’t spend money on a lot of craziness; eventually he did get a nice car, but that was not the driving force for Andrei. He liked basketball; he wasn’t driven by it, but he liked it, and he was good at it and he knew he could be good at it. When he left the Jazz, that left a big hole, really. He was just a great draft pick.

Kirilenko could dominate without scoring a ton.

Yeah, he could dominate a game defensively. He could go in there and people, they didn’t know where he was. If he’s behind me, I’m a dead man. He’s one of the few players I ever saw who preferred to play defense from behind, and he was great at it. He was really good at playing defense from behind—blocking shots without fouling and tipping the ball. He loved getting into the mix and playing defense from behind.

It drove the coaches nuts sometimes because they wanted him to be the standard type player, but he never fit that mold. He wasn’t a standard, common type of player; he was an unusual type of player, with a completely different skill set, but still a very good player.

What about the AK/Deron/Memo years?

Deron, when he came, was a guy who was a very skilled player, and the coaches looked at him and Chris Paul—we could have taken either one—I think Jerry decided on Deron because of his size, strength, and his durability. They thought he might be just a little bit better than Chris, although they liked both players, and then when he started playing, he was an outstanding player. BUT, the personality conflict grew between him and the coach, and eventually it became impossible for the two of them to stay. When the coach quit, management still decided that it was best if he went somewhere else.

Deron was the opposite of Stockton: Deron could not handle the coach calling any plays. He wanted to call every play. I’ll never understand why that was such a big deal, that if the coach called one play, he was going to run another one, which he always did. And that was part of what really drove them apart, was that Deron just decided he didn’t need coaching, and Jerry obviously thought otherwise.

Deron, in my dealings with him was always very nice, very friendly, I still consider him a friend.

http://saltcityhoops.com/interviewing-dr-mason-part-ii-ak-deron-ty-vs-quin/

Spoiler:

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#755 » by M-C-G » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:48 pm

Which 3 teams are bat **** crazy enough to max out Tristian Thompson? This is getting out of hand.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,482

Post#756 » by SupremeHustle » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:10 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
This is my interview with Dr. Lyle Mason, continuing from Part I. Lyle was the Jazz physician for 36 years and was kind of enough to sit down with me and talk shop for a couple hours. My questions are in bold; his answers underneath.

Stockton and Malone were famous for coming into training camp with a body-fat-percentage competition, right?

Mason: Yeah. They were always 1, or 2, or 3% body fat, and Karl at 260, or 256 was what he usually came in at. They just worked hard; they kept themselves at that peak level because they were always looking ahead: maybe next year we can still do it. In basketball it’s funny because it’s just kind of a perfect storm: you get these players that come together, and sometimes they don’t fit, and sometimes they do, and we just got this bunch of players together that fit, but then, if that mix changes, sometimes you’re just not as good, and I think that’s really what happened, the mix of the other players wasn’t as good, and then the skill level of our best players started to drop off and you could see the handwriting on the wall. It just wasn’t going to happen.

And then John deciding to step down, that actually came as a surprise. Karl was unaware of it. He didn’t know it, and the coach didn’t know it. John just said, I think he said it to a reporter.

“I think I’m done.”

I know when Karl heard it, he goes, “What?! Are you kidding me? He really said that?” He just was hoping that year would be a move upward, and when it wasn’t… he was what, 39 years old?

I think he was 41?

He played longer than anybody would have expected him to be able to play, and still played at a pretty high level when he quit.

Andrea-vich. I always call him that. He was an odd player. I don’t mean that personally, but his skill set was so odd, so unique. Just a unique player. At his size, and to do the things he was able to do. Defensively, he was so dangerous when he got behind you because of his leaping ability. He could score, he could do a lot of things, and he was certainly a different personality than Karl and John. Not as… into greatness. I don’t think he ever looked at it and said, I can be great!—and unfortunately, and I think this was unfortunate, he was picked to the All-Star team early, and I think that hurt him. I think he thought, I’ve arrived, I’m there, I don’t need to get better. He just didn’t have that drive that Karl and John had, but just a great guy. Great player. Very skilled. Very athletic.

Surprisingly athletic.

I don’t know if you know his history, but when he was a kid, at Russia at that time, they picked athletic kids and put them in separate schools. If you look at him, at his build and everything: long, powerful legs; smaller upper body; thin, great jumper, he was in the track and field school to be a high jumper. And then, as he told it, he told them, “I don’t like track and field, I don’t like high jumping; I want to go to into the basketball.” And they said, “Pretty close,” so he switched over to basketball, so all the way up from a kid, he was trained to be a basketball player. And by the time he was 14 or 15 he was a very skilled player, certainly in the junior ranks.

When he came to Salt Lake, I remember he asked if I would take him out to pick up his wife at the airport. So he jumps in the car and we drove out there, I said, “Do you own a car?” He said, “No, I don’t own a car.” I said, “Well, I think Larry H. would probably make you a great deal on a car.” He said, “You think I can have a car?” Yeah, I think you can have a car. That was the first time I think it really dawned on him that this money is going to make a difference for [him].

The other funny thing about Kirilenko is he was not driven by money. He’s a very generous guy. He told me that they had an apartment in Moscow and the building was rundown, as every apartment in Moscow is, and so he ended up remodeling the entire building for all the tenants. He didn’t spend money on a lot of craziness; eventually he did get a nice car, but that was not the driving force for Andrei. He liked basketball; he wasn’t driven by it, but he liked it, and he was good at it and he knew he could be good at it. When he left the Jazz, that left a big hole, really. He was just a great draft pick.

Yeah, he could dominate a game defensively. He could go in there and people, they didn’t know where he was. If he’s behind me, I’m a dead man. He’s one of the few players I ever saw who preferred to play defense from behind, and he was great at it. He was really good at playing defense from behind—blocking shots without fouling and tipping the ball. He loved getting into the mix and playing defense from behind.

It drove the coaches nuts sometimes because they wanted him to be the standard type player, but he never fit that mold. He wasn’t a standard, common type of player; he was an unusual type of player, with a completely different skill set, but still a very good player.

Deron, when he came, was a guy who was a very skilled player, and the coaches looked at him and Chris Paul—we could have taken either one—I think Jerry decided on Deron because of his size, strength, and his durability. They thought he might be just a little bit better than Chris, although they liked both players, and then when he started playing, he was an outstanding player. BUT, the personality conflict grew between him and the coach, and eventually it became impossible for the two of them to stay. When the coach quit, management still decided that it was best if he went somewhere else.

Deron was the opposite of Stockton: Deron could not handle the coach calling any plays. He wanted to call every play. I’ll never understand why that was such a big deal, that if the coach called one play, he was going to run another one, which he always did. And that was part of what really drove them apart, was that Deron just decided he didn’t need coaching, and Jerry obviously thought otherwise.

Deron, in my dealings with him was always very nice, very friendly, I still consider him a friend.

You’ve often talked about Memo being one of your favorites.

When we got Memo—that was another great deal, as far as I’m concerned. Memo’s just a wonderful guy, just great personality, great guy to be around, great teammate, obviously a great shooter. Obviously a little different skill set for a big guy than what you typically see.

I've never heard a bad word uttered about my dude Memo. Have I mentioned how much I loved Memo? Memo was that dude.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#757 » by Badgerlander » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:56 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:
Spoiler:
Badgerlander wrote:

“I think I’m done.”

I think he was 41?

Surprisingly athletic.

When we got Memo—that was another great deal, as far as I’m concerned. Memo’s just a wonderful guy, just great personality, great guy to be around, great teammate, obviously a great shooter. Obviously a little different skill set for a big guy than what you typically see.

I've never heard a bad word uttered about my dude Memo. Have I mentioned how much I loved Memo? Memo was that dude.

DIdn't one of the Jazz coaches call him out for showing up to camp out of shape? Something like, you would think with all of the money we are paying him he could afford a gym membership, etc.

Spoiler:

SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,482

Post#758 » by SupremeHustle » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:08 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
Spoiler:

DIdn't one of the Jazz coaches call him out for showing up to camp out of shape? Something like, you would think with all of the money we are paying him he could afford a gym membership, etc.

Let Memo take a summer off, bruh! He deserves it.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks