ImageImage

OT: Bo Ryan will retire after one more season

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,256

Re: OT: Bo Ryan will retire after one more season 

Post#81 » by FlagsFlyForever » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:03 pm

Anybody other than Bennett is a disappointment.
Read on Twitter
wapith
Junior
And1: 164

Post#82 » by wapith » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:08 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:Anybody other than Bennett is a disappointment.

Prepare to be disappointed then.

I'm personally fine with Gard. Feel like he'll be able to sustain the program.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,650

Post#83 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:09 pm

SeanE_Boy
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#84 » by SeanE_Boy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:20 pm

Not a huge UW-Madison or Bo Ryan fan. Had a close friend work for team for several years under Bo. Said Bo never bothered to even learn his name. He was dismissive and rude to anyone he viewed as not as important as himself, beyond just managers and trainers. Used to verbally abuse Dekker. Over and above just the typical hard ass "doing this to make you better" rousing that coaches use at times. Also was told by same friend that Frank Kaminsky is the biggest douche on the planet. Thought he was the hottest s*** on campus and walked all over any and everybody. People absolutely love the team from the last two seasons, but I know too much to kiss the feet of Bo, or the elitist athletes that walk that campus.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#85 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:21 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:
chonestown wrote:
I'm looking through the lens that manages to locate Dick Bennett in the viewfinder. Y'know, Dick Bennett, the coach who took to the Badgers to the Final Four. The Dick Bennett who came after SVG flamed out and Stu Jackson left for the Great North.

Dick Bennett might have won some games and got the team to an inexplicable FF but his style is STILL hurting the program, including with recruiting. He made 1 sweet 16 and won zero B10 titles. Make no mistake about it, the program could EASILY have fallen back into the morass after Bennett set WI ball back 60 years in style and made it criminally difficult to recruit.

WTF :lol:

When WI made the F4 THIS year he was fielding a massive number of questions regarding style of play from Mike and Mike, ESPN, etc. This is the biggest audience he has ever seen and he repeatedly dealt with this BS. If you don't think people in CA and NY don't think of WI as the slow it down and muddy it up squad they were under Bennett I don't know what to tell you. But this is what conventional wisdom IS for the WI program. And its been 15+ years.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#86 » by buckboy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:23 pm

SeanE_Boy wrote:Not a huge UW-Madison or Bo Ryan fan. Had a close friend work for team for several years under Bo. Said Bo never bothered to even learn his name. He was dismissive and rude to anyone he viewed as not as important as himself, beyond just managers and trainers. Used to verbally abuse Dekker. Over and above just the typical hard ass "doing this to make you better" rousing that coaches use at times. Also was told by same friend that Frank Kaminsky is the biggest douche on the planet. Thought he was the hottest s*** on campus and walked all over any and everybody. People absolutely love the team from the last two seasons, but I know too much to kiss the feet of Bo, or the elitist athletes that walk that campus.

I believe this to be 100% pure bull****. Except maybe not learning the kid's name. That I believe.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,166
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#87 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:28 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:
Dick Bennett might have won some games and got the team to an inexplicable FF but his style is STILL hurting the program, including with recruiting. He made 1 sweet 16 and won zero B10 titles. Make no mistake about it, the program could EASILY have fallen back into the morass after Bennett set WI ball back 60 years in style and made it criminally difficult to recruit.

When WI made the F4 THIS year he was fielding a massive number of questions regarding style of play from Mike and Mike, ESPN, etc. This is the biggest audience he has ever seen and he repeatedly dealt with this BS. If you don't think people in CA and NY don't think of WI as the slow it down and muddy it up squad they were under Bennett I don't know what to tell you. But this is what conventional wisdom IS for the WI program. And its been 15+ years.

It's absolutely faster than the Bennett days, but still not anywhere near fast enough. Still was one of the slowest paces in college ball with his stud offensive players that were able to "speed it up" a bit.
SeanE_Boy
Freshman

Post#88 » by SeanE_Boy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:28 pm

buckboy wrote:
SeanE_Boy wrote:Not a huge UW-Madison or Bo Ryan fan. Had a close friend work for team for several years under Bo. Said Bo never bothered to even learn his name. He was dismissive and rude to anyone he viewed as not as important as himself, beyond just managers and trainers. Used to verbally abuse Dekker. Over and above just the typical hard ass "doing this to make you better" rousing that coaches use at times. Also was told by same friend that Frank Kaminsky is the biggest douche on the planet. Thought he was the hottest s*** on campus and walked all over any and everybody. People absolutely love the team from the last two seasons, but I know too much to kiss the feet of Bo, or the elitist athletes that walk that campus.

I believe this to be 100% pure bull****. Except maybe not learning the kid's name. That I believe.

Just trying to inform from a different perspective. Not trying to sway your opinion, or make you hate him or any of the players on the team. I'm not bothered by your assertion that it's BS. I know what I know, and I trust who I trust.

KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,267

Post#89 » by KidA24 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:32 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:

You do realize that Bo's style before this season was exactly that, right?

Even this year, they were the 8th slowest team in CBB (sort by pace).

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2015-advanced-school-stats.html

I love Bo, but the idea that his guys played some up tempo style is ridiculous.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,461

Post#90 » by RogerMurdock » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:34 pm

SeanE_Boy wrote:Also was told by same friend that Frank Kaminsky is the biggest douche on the planet. Thought he was the hottest s*** on campus and walked all over any and everybody.

That's probably just the result of being so much taller than everyone. Sometimes shorter people scurry underfoot and you can't see them.
RogerMurdock
Analyst

Post#91 » by RogerMurdock » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:35 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:There's going to be a lot of speculation over the next year.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2015/6/29/8863359/report-tony-bennett-to-wisconsin-its-possible

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#92 » by Bernman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Yeah, that maybe has 1% of truth to it.

If Bo was overly abusive to players, Sam, Frank, and Nigel don't return when they would have been drafted earlier, and the team don't act like they are having the time of their lives.

And Frank was clearly not some sort of huge a-hole. He used to be a dork and he was now soaking in actually getting attention from people. The only way you can refer to him as a douche is in thinking he was being cool when he was a goof. Douche has such a broad definition to refer to any perceived unlikable behavior.

Just sounds like the venting of a jealous rival fan or a spurned employee getting revenge by grossly over-exaggerating.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#93 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:38 pm

If Bennett was open to UW, would Barry get in a bidding war with UVA?
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,642

Post#94 » by chonestown » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:39 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:

Who can forget the thrilling 33 Seconds or Less breakneck style as run under Trevon Hughes and Jordan Taylor? Scintillating up-and-down play that found fans on each coast. The Badgers have been a deliberate team for 20 years. They've also been consistently successful.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
RogerMurdock
Analyst

Post#95 » by RogerMurdock » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:48 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:If Bennett was open to UW, would Barry get in a bidding war with UVA?

I don't think money would be the issue. Bennett signed an extension last year through 2020-2021 that increased his annual salary from $1.7 million to a $1.924 million. He actually volunteered to take less money than was offered so that his assistants could get raises and the program could have more funds injected into its budget.

I really think the only issue is whether or not Wisconsin is Bennett's dream job. If it is, he should, and likely would, go. If it's not, he stays.
SeanE_Boy
Freshman

Post#96 » by SeanE_Boy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Bernman wrote:Yeah, that maybe has 1% of truth to it.

If Bo was overly abusive to players, Sam, Frank, and Nigel don't return when they would have been drafted earlier, and the team don't act like they are having the time of their lives.

And Frank was clearly not some sort of huge a-hole. He used to be a dork and he was now soaking in actually getting attention from people. The only way you can refer to him as a douche is in thinking he was being cool when he was a goof. Douche has such a broad definition to refer to any perceived unlikable behavior.

Just sounds like the venting of a jealous rival fan or a spurned employee getting revenge by grossly over-exaggerating.

I know the word abuse carries an excessive connotation. I don't mean to imply that Bo was so far over the line that it was unethical or warranted some kind of discipline. I'm just saying how it was described to me. To say that Frank couldn't possibly be a douche is narrow minded on your part. I was cited specific instances where he treated people the way in which a former "dork" as you put it, would understand that it's not acceptable to act towards someone less athletic or important as you. I don't know how you can use an increase in the level of attention he received as an excuse for acting like an ass. I know it's difficult for many people to hear negative things about beloved teams or athletes, but this individual had zero reason to be venomous or slanderous. I asked him about the team and those were some of the things he told me, and not a word of it was spoken in a bitter tone. Trust me when I say that this person is doing just fine in life and has no motivation to spit backwards.

Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,173

Post#97 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:51 pm

SeanE_Boy wrote:
buckboy wrote:

Just trying to inform from a different perspective. Not trying to sway your opinion, or make you hate him or any of the players on the team. I'm not bothered by your assertion that it's BS. I know what I know, and I trust who I trust.

Eh, who cares? This ain't 'Real Housewives'. I wouldn't be surprised if all of that is true. Most coaches at that level are narcissists a.k.a dickheads. It's kind of how you get to be that successful.

As far as Frank, he seems like a big nerd and a goober. Who cares if he's delusional about his social status?
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,593

Post#98 » by TroyD92 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm

Kaminsky always struck me as douche, but I really wouldn't know.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
SeanE_Boy
Freshman

Post#99 » by SeanE_Boy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:58 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:
SeanE_Boy wrote:
buckboy wrote:

Eh, who cares? This ain't 'Real Housewives'. I wouldn't be surprised if all of that is true. Most coaches at that level are narcissists a.k.a dickheads. It's kind of how you get to be that successful.

As far as Frank, he seems like a big nerd and a goober. Who cares if he's delusional about his social status?

At the end of the day you are 100% right. It doesn't really matter. I regret posting negative information on a board where people are trying to pay their respects to a great coach and ambassador for Wisconsin. I'll accept a self imposed label of troll and be on my way.

Tfence92
Starter
And1: 435

Post#100 » by Tfence92 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:01 pm

I'm so sick of this **** about the pace they play...

Badgers were #1 in ORtg and 8th in scoring.

Who gives a flying **** about how long it takes for you to put the ball in the hoop if you're putting it into the hoop better than anyone else?

Such a stupid debate...

Return to Milwaukee Bucks