9%
Grant Hill
33%

Total votes: 80

DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#61 » by DavidDunn21 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:25 pm

As much as I enjoyed Ray and Sam, I was so in the tank for Dog that the lack of ball movement was frequently frustrating.

They pretty much took turns ala the 2011 Heat. And in my younger mind, Ray and especially Sam were constantly stealing looks from Glenn when he had it going.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,118

Re: Who Would Have Been "Your Guy" Leading Up To The 1994 Draft 

Post#62 » by DingleJerry » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:10 pm

I think his handle and athleticism/quickness issues mentioned all stem from him playing the 3 when he had the game of a 4, he was just a few inches too short to play 4 in that era. Not quick enough to guard the 3 or be able to handle on the wing with a 3 guarding him. Probably still my all-time favorite Buck (other than Blue Edwards of course) who I think gets a bad rap here because he didn't fully live up to the hype.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
BucksBrew
Junior
And1: 112

Post#63 » by BucksBrew » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:55 pm

I wanted Grant Hill and was at a draft party I remember Booing the Glen pick i was so pissed i finished my Soda and walked home hahah
Blame Rasho wrote:It is the same circle jerk fans like always going on and on and the sad part is that they don't even realize how pathetic they sound to a neutral fan.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#64 » by Nebula1 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:19 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

I saw a game at the Field House where Big Dog had 40+ and Finley had 30+. I think Big Dog was 19/19 from the line.

Wish I could find that box score somewhere.

The game was Sat, Feb 13, 1993.

I was there, I still have my ticket stub in a box. That game was ridiculous.
I can't find the box score anywhere online (not even google's newspaper archives).

The best I could find? A Michael Hunt article:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19940115&id=9atRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_hIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6967,3373507&hl=en

Muahaha! Google comes through again!

Page C5:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19930214&id=TKIaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=qywEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1416,3871477&hl=en

"Robinson's 42 points - 30 in the second half - were overwhelming."

"Robinson had 42 points including 17 of Purdue's last 22 in regulation."

Probably the best individual collegiate performance I've ever personally witnessed. 2nd was Finley....in the same game.
Awesome.

I was there as well and wanted Glenn as the pick.
thakfu
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#65 » by thakfu » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:51 pm

Dog 100%... I was 15 at the time and I felt like we had just gotten our superstar. Even though he never made it to that level he is still one of my all time favorite Bucks.

On an aside to this... does anybody recall there being rumors before the draft that the Bulls had offered us Scottie Pippen for the #1 pick? It seems absurd now, kinda did then too, but I swear I had heard that more than a few times leading up to the draft and even before the season started. I could be mistaken tho.
Roughy2
Freshman
And1: 21

Who Would Have Been "Your Guy" Leading Up To The 1994 Draft 

Post#66 » by Roughy2 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:59 pm

Any Aussies out there remember watching Don Lane presenting college game of the week on ABC late at night. I remember watching Grant Hill and thinking he had it all as a player, quick, fluid, handles, smarts. Like a Jordan or a Drexler all around game. Made Cherokee Parks look decent.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#67 » by Aaron It Out » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:06 pm

I won't vote because I probably would have picked Barney or Elmo at the time, but knowing myself I would have been a Grant Hill guy.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,056

Post#68 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:14 pm

thakfu wrote:Dog 100%... I was 15 at the time and I felt like we had just gotten our superstar. Even though he never made it to that level he is still one of my all time favorite Bucks..

I was a little younger but my thoughts too. It was Dog 100% for me too.
bdpecore
Assistant Coach
And1: 573

Post#69 » by bdpecore » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:Ah, the Voshon Leonard draft. I was a big Grant Hill guy, so he would have been my pick. But I wasn't very disappointed with the pick - Robinson was a GREAT college player - actually a very different type of player that he became in the NBA. Hill also became a different type of player in the NBA - more of a scorer than he was at Duke. I thought he was basically a Pippen clone at Duke.

I was also on the Granit Hill bandwagon but based on their current roster, Robinson fit what the Bucks needed more than Hill or Kidd did. To this day I do not fault the front office for drafting the Big Dog. Although I will never forgive them for trading Dirk for Tractor Traylor in 1998. This move set us back quite a bit. Could you imagine if our big three was Dirk, Allen and Robinson. Our defense would be horrible but we could outscore any team in the league.
greeg32
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#70 » by greeg32 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:43 pm

bdpecore wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Ah, the Voshon Leonard draft. I was a big Grant Hill guy, so he would have been my pick. But I wasn't very disappointed with the pick - Robinson was a GREAT college player - actually a very different type of player that he became in the NBA. Hill also became a different type of player in the NBA - more of a scorer than he was at Duke. I thought he was basically a Pippen clone at Duke.

I was also on the Granit Hill bandwagon but based on their current roster, Robinson fit what the Bucks needed more than Hill or Kidd did. To this day I do not fault the front office for drafting the Big Dog. Although I will never forgive them for trading Dirk for Tractor Traylor in 1998. This move set us back quite a bit. Could you imagine if our big three was Dirk, Allen and Robinson. Our defense would be horrible but we could outscore any team in the league.

Cue Dirk revisionist history lecture..

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#71 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:03 pm

I can say I was 100% against the Dirk trade at the time too. Not that I knew anything about Dirk, but just because I wanted nothing to do with Tractor Traylor. Hated TJ Ford draft too but there wasn't really any good options there, i just didn't think he'd make it in the NBA. I preferred Marbury to Ray as well, so I was wrong there. I liked both but preferred Marbury.
bdpecore
Assistant Coach
And1: 573

Post#72 » by bdpecore » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:02 pm

BadgersBucks wrote:I can say I was 100% against the Dirk trade at the time too. Not that I knew anything about Dirk, but just because I wanted nothing to do with Tractor Traylor. Hated TJ Ford draft too but there wasn't really any good options there, i just didn't think he'd make it in the NBA. I preferred Marbury to Ray as well, so I was wrong there. I liked both but preferred Marbury.

The Dirk trade just reeked of desperation to find a big who could replace Baker's production and who could play alongside Allen and Robinson. Neither he nor Przybilla were the answer.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,270

Post#73 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:04 pm

I was 9 at the time, and I really got into basketball watching Duke versus Kentucky when Laettner made the shot. I attached myself to Grant Hill and I was so hurt when we took Dog that I ditched the Bucks until 98 or so. I had both home and away jerseys (the horrid teal) of Grant, and about a billion of his basketball cards.

If the same scenario played out today I would've been an ever bigger mark for him. At that time, there was more emphasis placed on raw numbers. Nowadays there's advanced stats, and more attention to athleticism, length and defensive potential. Based on those factors, and Grant's ability to play multiple positions, initiate an offense and handle the ball, I think Hill and Kidd would be 1 and 2 comfortably with Robinson a distant third.

Eta: I know a lot of people still like Glenn but to this day I can't stand him. Despite his shortcomings he could've been a great one had he focused less on the tree and more on his conditioning and skills. All time example of a guy who floated on natural ability.
Do it for Chuck
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,272

Post#74 » by Finn » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:34 pm

greeg32 wrote:
bdpecore wrote:Although I will never forgive them for trading Dirk for Tractor Traylor in 1998. This move set us back quite a bit. Could you imagine if our big three was Dirk, Allen and Robinson. Our defense would be horrible but we could outscore any team in the league.

Hard to believe there are still fans that don't know what went down.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#75 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:03 am

Had my sights set on Zeljko Rebraca.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Re: Re: Who Would Have Been "Your Guy" Leading Up To The 1994 Draft 

Post#76 » by RRyder823 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:44 am

Finn wrote:
greeg32 wrote:
bdpecore wrote:Although I will never forgive them for trading Dirk for Tractor Traylor in 1998. This move set us back quite a bit. Could you imagine if our big three was Dirk, Allen and Robinson. Our defense would be horrible but we could outscore any team in the league.

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading these posts
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Post#77 » by RRyder823 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:47 am

jakecronus8 wrote:I was 9 at the time, and I really got into basketball watching Duke versus Kentucky when Laettner made the shot. I attached myself to Grant Hill and I was so hurt when we took Dog that I ditched the Bucks until 98 or so. I had both home and away jerseys (the horrid teal) of Grant, and about a billion of his basketball cards.

If the same scenario played out today I would've been an ever bigger mark for him. At that time, there was more emphasis placed on raw numbers. Nowadays there's advanced stats, and more attention to athleticism, length and defensive potential. Based on those factors, and Grant's ability to play multiple positions, initiate an offense and handle the ball, I think Hill and Kidd would be 1 and 2 comfortably with Robinson a distant third.

Eta: I know a lot of people still like Glenn but to this day I can't stand him. Despite his shortcomings he could've been a great one had he focused less on the tree and more on his conditioning and skills. All time example of a guy who floated on natural ability.

Even with all those things and Hill and Kidd being better players I could argue that we got more production from Glenn the Detroit n Dallas did with Kidd and Hill. Neither stayed with their original team long
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#78 » by DingleJerry » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:02 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
Finn wrote:
greeg32 wrote:Cue Dirk revisionist history lecture..

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading these posts

I'm aware it was a trade that was already done. For me it had nothing to do with Dirk, I knew nothing about him. I just did not want Traylor.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#79 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Aug 3, 2015 5:56 am

I was 15 so that era of college basketball has special place in my fandom. Old enough to be a die hard but still too young to be jaded. I hated duke so much I was definitely not on the grant hill train going into that draft and actively rooted against him his whole career until he ended on on the suns. LOVED big dog. Him, Finley, and kidd are still on my short list of favorite players ever.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#80 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Aug 3, 2015 6:02 am

It's crazy how many "what ifs" from the late 80s and early 90s. What if guys like dog, larry johnson and hill stay healthy? What if len bias, hank gathers, Reggie Lewis, petrovic, Ben Wilson all don't die? What if coke didn't ruin so many guys like Tarpley and dumas.

Jordan might have still got his 6 rings but it would have been a hell of a lot harder.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks