ImageImage

Vasquez: hot garbage or slow starter?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Re: Vasquez: hot garbage or slow starter? 

Post#41 » by Alfred » Mon Nov 2, 2015 7:27 pm

Not to pile on, but I will give you a rundown of what I observed with Vasquez while he was with the Raptors.

-He is a scoring guard, not a pure point guard. When I saw his stats with New Orleans (9 assists per game) I assumed we were going to get primarily a distributor. That's not really the case unfortunately -- he's going to look to score a lot of the time. His court vision isn't that great.
-He loves to shoot pull-up 3s off the dribble, often very early in the shot clock. On the plus side, he's okay at making them, on the minus side, he will take them out of the rhythm of the offence and will often shoot them to "get his", or if he believes he's got the hot hand (which is a lot).
-He NEEDS a screen in order to start a play. Vasquez has slow feet which means he's not going to beat anyone 1-on-1 off the dribble. He starts all of his non-pull-up-three offence with a screen, which can make the offence pretty predictable.
-He is a horrendous defender. He has slow feet and can get lost on defence. He's actually better at guarding 2s, because he's pretty big, and they aren't as fast.
-He thinks he's a starting point guard. Almost every time he talks to the media, be it Venezuelan media or local, he will bring up that he is "good enough to start". If he doesn't bring it up at least one time this season, I will be shocked.
-He's really streaky. Sometimes he will get hot and will be a really good scorer off of your bench, other times (like right now apparently) he will look like hot garbage and you will hate him. It averages out to a kind of mediocre player who thinks he's way better than he is.

Hope this helps.
LedZepp007
General Manager
And1: 3,523

Post#42 » by LedZepp007 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 7:35 pm

That does help. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
The Bulls are the absolute worst.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#43 » by M-C-G » Mon Nov 2, 2015 9:37 pm

So in very limited sample sizes, looking at anything over 2 minutes

Bottom two 5 man line ups
Vasquez, Bayless, Midds, Copeland, Monroe (-8)
Vasquez, Bayless, MCW, Copeland, Monroe (-7)

Top 5 man line ups
Vasquez, Midds, Giannis, JOB, Monroe (+4)
Vasquez, Bayless, Vaughn, JOB, Henson (+3)
Vasquez, MCW, Middleton, Inglis, Monroe (+3)

So I think the anomaly is the line up with Vaughn in it, because it is the only time Vasquez and Bayless seem like they can co-exist. I think you get the right line up around Vasquez and he can be productive for you. Given how many different line ups Kidd is going with (same thing he did last year), I think he will find him the right people to put on the court with him. Henson and Vasquez seemed to have a certain level of chemistry that can work well with a guy like Inglis I think.

All that said, I'd take Kendal Marshall over him in a nano second.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#44 » by Nowak008 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 10:34 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I'd much, much rather have prime Steve Blake.

Fruiting the beer >>>>> Alligator arms Vasquez

Either you don't remember how bad fruit the beer was with us or you really hate Vasquez.

33 games-

3.6 points and 2.5 ast on 34.9 FG% 27.9% from 3 55% FT in 17 min per game. He basically tanked his way out of here.

John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,411

Post#45 » by randy84 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 10:37 pm

M-C-G wrote:So in very limited sample sizes, looking at anything over 2 minutes

Bottom two 5 man line ups
Vasquez, Bayless, Midds, Copeland, Monroe (-8)
Vasquez, Bayless, MCW, Copeland, Monroe (-7)

Top 5 man line ups
Vasquez, Midds, Giannis, JOB, Monroe (+4)
Vasquez, Bayless, Vaughn, JOB, Henson (+3)
Vasquez, MCW, Middleton, Inglis, Monroe (+3)

So I think the anomaly is the line up with Vaughn in it, because it is the only time Vasquez and Bayless seem like they can co-exist. I think you get the right line up around Vasquez and he can be productive for you. Given how many different line ups Kidd is going with (same thing he did last year), I think he will find him the right people to put on the court with him. Henson and Vasquez seemed to have a certain level of chemistry that can work well with a guy like Inglis I think.

All that said, I'd take Kendal Marshall over him in a nano second.

Mayo and Henson have the best chemistry.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#46 » by raferfenix » Mon Nov 2, 2015 10:49 pm

Alfred wrote:He is a scoring guard, not a pure point guard. When I saw his stats with New Orleans (9 assists per game) I assumed we were going to get primarily a distributor. That's not really the case unfortunately -- he's going to look to score a lot of the time. His court vision isn't that great

Thanks for offering your perspective!

Vasquez not really being a pure PG is my greatest concern.

His court vision and penchant for stupid turnovers has caught me by surprise -- especially since I assumed we gave up the LAC pick for him to be a safeguard for MCW's limitations in these departments.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#47 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 11:10 pm

Nowak008 wrote:
Either you don't remember how bad fruit the beer was with us or you really hate Vasquez.

33 games-

I think a bit of both. And agree Blake tanked his way out of here.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#48 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Nov 2, 2015 11:19 pm

It's crazy that just three games in it looks like Tyler Ennis might really be relied on for a big role/minutes at some point this season. Hope he's better.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Vasquez: hot garbage or slow starter? 

Post#49 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Nov 2, 2015 11:32 pm

Put me down for slow starter. Once he has a defined role, some consistency in minutes, and builds some regular chemistry w 'mates, Kidd should be able to figure out how to use him effectively.
My only doubt is whether he can really accept a limited role. He seems like the type of personality that needs a big role in order to be his best (and his team just has to live with his limitations).
But for now, Im going to give Kidd the benefit of the doubt that he can figure out some effective role for him.

worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#50 » by worthlessBucks » Mon Nov 2, 2015 11:34 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I think a bit of both. And agree Blake tanked his way out of here.

Good times remembering when you posted about seeing Paschke/Harris joking it up in regards to Blake's impending exit. Man he was atrocious. Blake was lucky he had the "new ball" excuse to buy him some time.
Go Bucks!
WhatYaWant
Senior
And1: 549

Post#51 » by WhatYaWant » Tue Nov 3, 2015 3:15 am

hes
the
worst
wat
ya
want
LedZepp007
General Manager
And1: 3,523

Post#52 » by LedZepp007 » Tue Nov 3, 2015 2:33 pm

Right when I thought he couldn't get worse, last night happened.

The Bulls are the absolute worst.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#53 » by smauss » Tue Nov 3, 2015 2:47 pm

He doesn't see the floor well enough (like not at all!) to be a 1; He doesn't shoot well enough for a 2; He absolutely doesn't defend; His character is questionable. Hey, what's not to like........... :(
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
RainX
Freshman
And1: 67

Post#54 » by RainX » Tue Nov 3, 2015 3:55 pm

GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#55 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Tue Nov 3, 2015 7:21 pm

I had always hated the trade. Poor use of assets and cap space, given our circumstances. It was just the wrong strategy for what our philosophy should be. One of the primary goals this season should be getting our young guys as much PT as possible. Vasquez takes up PG minutes that should go to MCW and Ennis. He takes up SG minutes that should be going to Middleton and Vaughn, which shifts more of their minutes to SF which also affects minutes available at both forward spots (Giannis, Jabari, Inglis, JOB). And that isn't even factoring in Mayo & Bayless getting minutes, which they of course will.

Vasquez trade was a blunder. Ennis should be 2nd string PG, Bayless 3rd string. While waiting for Ennis to be healthy, we could have kept Jorge (or any other NG'd PG) and just waived them before January 10th (when salary becomes guaranteed for rest of season) once Ennis returned to health.

All of those things I believed strongly WHILE THINKING THAT VASQUEZ WOULD HELP US WIN MORE GAMES ON THE COURT by being an upgrade at 2nd string PG this season.

It's very early, of course, but that doesn't look to be the case so far. Maybe he will.

We would actually be better off if Vasquez continues to suck. The 1st & 2nd round picks we traded for him are gone. A sunk cost. Best case scenario is that he is removed from rotation and frees up minutes for young players who we need to evaluate as a potential part of our future. He can retain some value as an expiring contract. Perhaps he can be useful in a trade where we can extract a first round pick or young player from a team looking to dump salary
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#56 » by Treebeard » Tue Nov 3, 2015 7:36 pm

I kind of assumed he was brought on as insurance to cover if they traded MCW. That's not looking good, if that was the plan.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#57 » by tski1972 » Tue Nov 3, 2015 7:37 pm

the first 4 games aren't helping my hatred of this trade.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#58 » by M-C-G » Tue Nov 3, 2015 7:40 pm

Give him some time when we have all our guys and then decide. Like I said, Kidd is clearly experimenting with different line ups and hasn't really found the right line up for Vasquez.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#59 » by emunney » Tue Nov 3, 2015 7:50 pm

Nowak008 wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:I'd much, much rather have prime Steve Blake.

Fruiting the beer >>>>> Alligator arms Vasquez

33 games-

3.6 points and 2.5 ast on 34.9 FG% 27.9% from 3 55% FT in 17 min per game. He basically tanked his way out of here.

Greivis is shooting 18.5% from the field and playing no defense.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#60 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Nov 3, 2015 8:19 pm

Alfred wrote:Not to pile on, but I will give you a rundown of what I observed with Vasquez while he was with the Raptors.

-He is a scoring guard, not a pure point guard. When I saw his stats with New Orleans (9 assists per game) I assumed we were going to get primarily a distributor. That's not really the case unfortunately -- he's going to look to score a lot of the time. His court vision isn't that great.
-He loves to shoot pull-up 3s off the dribble, often very early in the shot clock. On the plus side, he's okay at making them, on the minus side, he will take them out of the rhythm of the offence and will often shoot them to "get his", or if he believes he's got the hot hand (which is a lot).
-He NEEDS a screen in order to start a play. Vasquez has slow feet which means he's not going to beat anyone 1-on-1 off the dribble. He starts all of his non-pull-up-three offence with a screen, which can make the offence pretty predictable.
-He is a horrendous defender. He has slow feet and can get lost on defence. He's actually better at guarding 2s, because he's pretty big, and they aren't as fast.
-He thinks he's a starting point guard. Almost every time he talks to the media, be it Venezuelan media or local, he will bring up that he is "good enough to start". If he doesn't bring it up at least one time this season, I will be shocked.
-He's really streaky. Sometimes he will get hot and will be a really good scorer off of your bench, other times (like right now apparently) he will look like hot garbage and you will hate him. It averages out to a kind of mediocre player who thinks he's way better than he is.

Hope this helps.

This does help.

If by help, you mean, make me cry.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks