2016 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Re: 2016 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1281 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:21 pm

glenn wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Got around to seeing Ghostbusters, and some way some how, it was actually worse than I expected. The guys at Red Letter Media did a great job of exposing the scare tactics that Sony employed to secure positive reviews, and exploits them for irresponsibly creating controversy over racism and sexism that were never real. Funny thing is I thought the movie was offensive to women and the characters were so poorly written and stereotypical. Anyways, this is a great watch even just for entertainment purposes, and it kind of makes me want to completely boycott Sony motion pictures.

:lol:

Wait...so you liked it? It was legitimately one of the worst comedies I've seen in a decade or so. I laughed one time at the Andy Garcia mayor from Jaws line, and I think it was mostly because I was so starved for any type of humor at that point
Do it for Chuck
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Re: RE: Re: 2016 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1282 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:43 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:HALT AND CATCH FIRE BACK.

Underrated show. Im happy AMC brought it back even with lackluster ratings.

Anyone watch The Get Down yet?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#1283 » by humanrefutation » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:43 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
glenn wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Got around to seeing Ghostbusters, and some way some how, it was actually worse than I expected. The guys at Red Letter Media did a great job of exposing the scare tactics that Sony employed to secure positive reviews, and exploits them for irresponsibly creating controversy over racism and sexism that were never real. Funny thing is I thought the movie was offensive to women and the characters were so poorly written and stereotypical. Anyways, this is a great watch even just for entertainment purposes, and it kind of makes me want to completely boycott Sony motion pictures.

:lol:

Wait...so you liked it? It was legitimately one of the worst comedies I've seen in a decade or so. I laughed one time at the Andy Garcia mayor from Jaws line, and I think it was mostly because I was so starved for any type of humor at that point

The racism and sexism were absolutely real. That isn't to say that there are only sexist and racist reasons to find the movie to be terrible, or that you had be be a sexist and/or racist to funny the movie unfunny. It's that some people trashed on Ghostbusters for sexist and racist reasons.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1284 » by humanrefutation » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:46 pm

Arrested Development is massively overrated. It's not even that funny.

Come at me, bros.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,085

Post#1285 » by DingleJerry » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:00 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Arrested Development is massively overrated. It's not even that funny.

Come at me, bros.

Pump the brakes, it's a national treasure, jk.

I agree the Netflix season was not good, but the original was some of the best writing there's been. Plus, imagine that it likely would've been even better if they didn't have the network sticking their nose in everything making them change stuff. Which also made the last season a little disjointed in my opinion as they had to rush an ending.

The Netflix season though was just way too much and overdone. Like they were cramming everything in. Plus they also made Michael and even George Michael out to be idiots, whereas the original they were kind of the normal people that had basic common sense.

To each their own though, not everyone is going to like everything. I'm sure there's a faction that doesn't like Seinfeld too.

That said, if you do find someone who hasn't seen it yet they are bound to be disappointed because all they've heard is how great it is. So in that sense, yes I could see an overrated argument.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1286 » by humanrefutation » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:05 pm

BadgersBucks wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Arrested Development is massively overrated. It's not even that funny.

Come at me, bros.

Pump the brakes, it's a national treasure, jk.

I agree the Netflix season was not good, but the original was some of the best writing there's been. Plus, imagine that it likely would've been even better if they didn't have the network sticking their nose in everything making them change stuff. Which also made the last season a little disjointed in my opinion as they had to rush an ending.

The Netflix season though was just way too much and overdone. Like they were cramming everything in. Plus they also made Michael and even George Michael out to be idiots, whereas the original they were kind of the normal people that had basic common sense.

To each their own though, not everyone is going to like everything. I'm sure there's a faction that doesn't like Seinfeld too.

That said, if you do find someone who hasn't seen it yet they are bound to be disappointed because all they've heard is how great it is. So in that sense, yes I could see an overrated argument.

I really tried to enjoy the original AD when I watched it a few years ago. My friends who shared a similar appreciation for Seinfeld and Curb recommended it to me, so I figured it must be right up my alley. But I found that it just didn't do it for me. I found that I watched it out of some sense of obligation, and my friends were stunned when I was so "meh" about it.

Of course, to each their own.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,742

Post#1287 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:06 pm

AD was a trash show and I hate that so many that I've liked in recent years have been called, "the spiritual successor to arrested development" or some ****. Better Off Ted is amazing and Arrested Development is garbage.
Wonka
General Manager
And1: 4,686

Post#1288 » by Wonka » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:18 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:AD was a trash show and I hate that so many that I've liked in recent years have been called, "the spiritual successor to arrested development" or some ****. Better Off Ted is amazing and Arrested Development is garbage.

Well, you're in the minority in thinking that. Arrested Development was, has been and is critically loved.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,017

Post#1289 » by FrieAaron » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:20 pm

AD is the best comedy series of all time 8-)
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#1290 » by blazza18 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:34 pm

I watched Arrested Development many years after the fact and my immediate thought while watching it was this show is overrated.

ReasonablySober wrote:here is the best gob song.

eta: I have no idea why youtube embedding stopped working for me last week.

Just need to post the link now without the [youtube][/youtube] same as when putting up tweets as well.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#1291 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:02 am

humanrefutation wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:
glenn wrote: :lol:

The racism and sexism were absolutely real. That isn't to say that there are only sexist and racist reasons to find the movie to be terrible, or that you had be be a sexist and/or racist to funny the movie unfunny. It's that some people trashed on Ghostbusters for sexist and racist reasons.

If that's what you want to believe, ok. To me it looks as if Sony intentionally took a few idiots and exploited their idiocy to create buzz for their sh*tty film. Which to me, as I said is pretty irresponsible considering the world we live in. If you didn't know, they were deleting people's comments on the trailer's YouTube page that were generally negative and intentionally leaving up the ones that were racist/sexist, which were the very small minority of them. They also basically fabricated pretend critics that were likely Sony employees to give the film good reviews. Which seems pretty likely given I haven't found a single person that said it was good.

Also, count me in the Arrested Development is overrated camp. I watched about 6 episodes of the first season and was not impressed. David Cross was no doubt the mvp from what I saw, but he wasn't featured nearly enough.
Do it for Chuck
DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#1292 » by DavidDunn21 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:08 am

Arrested Development was/is brilliant. And the Netflix season was choppy because the scheduling didn't work out for many of the principal actors, so they made the best of it.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#1293 » by stellation » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:31 am

I think AD was brilliant, but you probably need to watch about half a season to start to appreciate it because of how heavily interwoven the ongoing jokes/storylines were.

I would have loved to see the storyboard for the Netflix season, it must have been pretty remarkable with how they spliced all the different touch points between episodes.
#FreeChuckDiesel
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,149

Post#1294 » by RRyder823 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:20 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:
glenn wrote: :lol:

Not nearly enough for the marketing campaign to cry racism and sexism every chance the got when they were asked about people's criticism of the movie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,742

Post#1295 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:23 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:

Not nearly enough for the marketing campaign to cry racism and sexism every chance the got when they were asked about people's criticism of the movie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app

It got a 73% RT score and 57% audience score. Racists and sexists were obviously the reason why.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,017

Post#1296 » by FrieAaron » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:12 pm

And 26% of it's ratings on imdb were 1, more than any other rating. Anytime I see that many 1's I'm immediately suspicious. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I doubt very much that it's that bad given Feig's other work. "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" has 5% of it's ratings as 1. On top of that, the split between men and women's average rating is hilarious - 4.9 to 7.7 - I don't think I've ever seen a discrepancy that ridiculous.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,128

Post#1297 » by HKPackFan » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:18 pm

Someone else mentioned it and so I went to see kubo and the two strings. What an incredible movie.

I loved it and my 13 year old said it was one of her favorite all time movies. Definitely one of my favorites in 2016. Also helps we just did a family trip to Japan so seeing the rich Japanese culture again was amazing.

Has a 96% on rotten tomatoes. Not your normal Hollywood movie. Gripping story, beautiful art master piece.
#FreeChuckDiesel
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1298 » by crkone » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:04 pm

"I think wiggers need a civil rights movement" That's just a taste of the ridiculous one liners in Legends.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
BucksStatsGuy
Sophomore
And1: 655

Post#1299 » by BucksStatsGuy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:44 pm

stellation wrote:I think AD was brilliant, but you probably need to watch about half a season to start to appreciate it because of how heavily interwoven the ongoing jokes/storylines were.

I would have loved to see the storyboard for the Netflix season, it must have been pretty remarkable with how they spliced all the different touch points between episodes.

I'd argue you need to watch the show 3-4 times all the way through, actually, before you start to appreciate it. And that's why it got cancelled. It's an utterly inaccessible show. But I love it to death. It's one of the few shows where you can have a single line of dialogue that means 5 things at once, and 3 of those things don't make sense until you've finished it, 1 of them won't make sense until you've seen it 3-4 times, and the last one you'll still be discovering years later. There are hints even in the very first few episodes of what the endings and later season plot lines are, and it's one of the reasons those lines are written the way they are. They knew exactly what they were doing at all times, so locked into a story, so they could write knowing what's going to happen 2 seasons in advance.

emunney wrote:GOB is the most childlike?

And yeah, I can see Buster "literally" being the most childlike, just because he is obsessed with his mother. But I think the way GOB picks fights, the magic, sticking up for his family occasionally, constantly seeking approval, etc. makes him child-like in a very different and more complex way. I always get drawn to the Tiny Town.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,085

Post#1300 » by DingleJerry » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:14 pm

AD was just ahead of it's time. Back then there was no way to re-watch old seasons. Back then 'sitcoms' didn't have ongoing stories so you could just pick it up whenever, whereas AD needed to be watched from the beginning. If it existed now, once the initial buzz got out then the rest of the population could have watched season 1 in the offseason, and so and so on, increasing ratings every year. Similar to how many other initially lowrated shows, Breaking Bad comes to mind, have made it.

But yea not everyone isn't going to like the same things. I see how some aren't going to like it because well frankly most characters are such bad people on it. And i think new viewers at this point are bound to be disappointed because it can't live up to the hype and a portion of the jokes are specific to the time period.

Agree with whoever said Better off Ted was amazing, same thing there, was before it's time.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks