ImageImage

2016 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,838

Re: 2016 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1681 » by VooDoo7 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 9:22 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:This weeks TWD was great except for the fact that I'm mildly disturbed that my wife wants to rail Negan.

Yeah, her wanting to nail another guy isn't the bad part.

Her being turned on by a guy who bashes heads in and puts irons to people's faces...that, that is the disturbing part.

Sleep with one eye open, my friend.
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#1682 » by GB_Packers » Mon Dec 5, 2016 9:27 pm

HKPackFan wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Looks kinda meh. Has some cool elements and excited for some new monsters but looks overly action dependent. Guess we'll see.

Jeez, another unnecessary reboot.

Supposed to be more like the Boris Karloff Mummy movie in tone than the Brendan Fraser ones. Whether they pull that off certainly remains to be seen.
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#1683 » by GB_Packers » Mon Dec 5, 2016 9:32 pm

BUCKnation wrote:
jimmybones wrote:I don't hate it, I'm just bored with it. Negan is the only thing intriguing to me right now. "Repetitive and boring" is not exclusive to Alexandria, it's been like that with pretty much every storyline.

Yeah, these episodes dedicated to other stories like last week are pretty pointless (maybe not pointless but just lame and unnecessary). Just want more Rick and Negan stuff.

Episodes like last weeks with Tara are absolutely essential though. Oceanside isn't a one and done appearance on the show. I'm loving the show more than ever, how close they are finally following the comics is fun to watch. Negan visiting Alexandria a few episodes back, which was literally one issue of the comics adapted to the screen, and last nights episode especially are straight off the pages.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,949

Post#1684 » by BUCKnation » Mon Dec 5, 2016 10:07 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Gonna see a lot of year-end lists. I always like to read 'em because they usually differ from what I watch. Here's one from Vulture.

10 - Search Party
9 - Horace and Pete
8 - Rectify
7 - Stranger Things
6 - Crazy Ex Girlfriend
5 - The Americans
4 - Bojack Horseman
3 - American Crime Story: The People vs. O.J. Simpson (FX) and O.J. Simpson: Made in America (ESPN)
2 - The Girlfriend Experience
1 - Atlanta

Of the ones on that list, I've only seen Stranger Things (loved it) and The Girlfriend Experience (really loved it):

Atlanta is fantastic and Horace and Pete is good, not totally what I expected given the cast but it was decent.
Triple 7
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#1685 » by Triple 7 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 12:33 am

Westworld Finale spoiler:

Spoiler:
They revealed Ford's final plan for his narrative in episode 6:

"Is he not unique? No one plays like this guy. This guy is the new guy. This is the new form."
- George Karl on Giannis
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,013

Post#1686 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Dec 6, 2016 1:02 am

Triple 7 wrote:Westworld Finale spoiler:

Spoiler:
They revealed Ford's final plan for his narrative in episode 6:

I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at.

ETA: Yea, I guess I can see it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1687 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:50 pm

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1688 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 8, 2016 7:52 pm

Apple is in talks to provide movies at home, two weeks after release.

$25-$50 sounds like the price-point. Interesting.

I tend to see matinees with my brother if I really want to see a movie, so it shocked me when I had a date for Hell or High Water and between tickets and some drinks and popcorn the pricetag was north of $50. Like, when in the hell did that happen? I can absolutely see the theater industry being destroyed by companies like Apple. Overhead would have to be significantly less, but piracy would be more easy.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1689 » by crkone » Thu Dec 8, 2016 7:56 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Apple is in talks to provide movies at home, two weeks after release.

I tend to see matinees with my brother if I really want to see a movie, so it shocked me when I had a date for Hell or High Water and between tickets and some drinks and popcorn the pricetag was north of $50. Like, when in the hell did that happen? I can absolutely see the theater industry being destroyed by companies like Apple. Overhead would have to be significantly less, but piracy would be more easy.

I've always advocated for this but unless you have a movie theater in your house, there is still nothing like the big screen experience.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1690 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 8, 2016 7:58 pm

crkone wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Apple is in talks to provide movies at home, two weeks after release.

I've always advocated for this but unless you have a movie theater in your house, there is still nothing like the big screen experience.

Eh, I think it depends highly on the film. Something like Guardians of the Galaxy or Mad Max: Fury Road, hell yea. Nothing like it. But a good drama or mystery or comedy? I'd rather watch in my home with friends or a date with beverages and good food.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#1691 » by M-C-G » Thu Dec 8, 2016 8:10 pm

Option 3 - Erik Von Weber works for the show and was moonlighting selling his photos, which he probably wasn't suppose to do? But if that is planned, that is some really next level **** right there.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,949

Post#1692 » by BUCKnation » Thu Dec 8, 2016 9:11 pm

Thanks for the conversations and recs of Black Mirror. Incredible show. In an age where series tend to pump out filler content, the stuff they do in 45-60 min is something other shows should strive for.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#1693 » by M-C-G » Thu Dec 8, 2016 9:14 pm

BUCKnation wrote:Thanks for the conversations and recs of Black Mirror. Incredible show. In an age where series tend to pump out filler content, the stuff they do in 45-60 min is something other shows should strive for.

Agreed, my wife often chimes in on why am I watching a show without her until she has given up on a new show. I told her, so in the first episode a member of parliment needs to **** a pig on a live broadcast in order to save his niece from a kid napper while the entire world and social media dissect it, technology enabled it and ultimately ruin his marriage and his life. Turns out, she wasn't interested, go figure.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Post#1694 » by humanrefutation » Thu Dec 8, 2016 10:38 pm

I mean, this is where the movie industry has been headed for a while now. Netflix and other online streaming services killed Blockbuser/Hollywood Video et al, and then you had a series of companies that began offering movie rentals at home, then you had on-demand viewing, online streams, and illegal downloads. TVs got better, surround sound became more affordable. Between the cost-savings and convenience, movie theaters began to struggle.

You saw Theaters try to respond in meaningful ways by offering more comfortable recliners, more food options, etc, but it's still not competitive with watching at home.

Literally, the only thing saving Movie Theaters is the exclusivity that they maintain with movie releases. Timing is what keeps them in business.

Take that away and they are dead. Done for. Goodbye. There are few movie releases which are so anticipated that people won't just wait two weeks to watch them at home. The only question is whether $25-$50 - which in the low end is about 3x the cost of a movie ticket - is cheap enough when combining other cost savings that people will opt to stay home.

If I'm watching with s/o or friends? Yeah, definitely.

If I want to watch something on my own? Maybe not.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,112

Post#1695 » by FrieAaron » Thu Dec 8, 2016 10:45 pm

I have a nice set up but would still rather to see films in a theater when possible. Where this will be huge for me is if it's available for smaller films (I.e. if I could actually see "Toni Erdmann" or "The Handmaiden" right now).
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Re: RE: Re: 2016 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1696 » by RRyder823 » Fri Dec 9, 2016 6:44 am

Ron Swanson wrote:I don't get the hate and low ratings that TWD is getting right now. The Alexandria storyline was getting repetitive and boring (it always does when they stay in one place for too long), but they've really ramped it up with the Saviors and introducing a ton of new factions and characters like Ezekiel and the Kingdom. I'm decently excited to see which direction they go with this season, after being on the fence with the series the last two seasons.

Honestly this is the best season of TWD in years. There's always side episodes that are slow but the Saviors have injected fresh blood into this show

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,274

Post#1697 » by HKPackFan » Fri Dec 9, 2016 8:39 am

humanrefutation wrote:

I mean, this is where the movie industry has been headed for a while now. Netflix and other online streaming services killed Blockbuser/Hollywood Video et al, and then you had a series of companies that began offering movie rentals at home, then you had on-demand viewing, online streams, and illegal downloads. TVs got better, surround sound became more affordable. Between the cost-savings and convenience, movie theaters began to struggle.

You saw Theaters try to respond in meaningful ways by offering more comfortable recliners, more food options, etc, but it's still not competitive with watching at home.

Literally, the only thing saving Movie Theaters is the exclusivity that they maintain with movie releases. Timing is what keeps them in business.

Take that away and they are dead. Done for. Goodbye. There are few movie releases which are so anticipated that people won't just wait two weeks to watch them at home. The only question is whether $25-$50 - which in the low end is about 3x the cost of a movie ticket - is cheap enough when combining other cost savings that people will opt to stay home.

If I'm watching with s/o or friends? Yeah, definitely.

If I want to watch something on my own? Maybe not.

I have 4 ways in which I watch movies.

#1) Plane movies. Usually something that I don't mind watching on an small 6 or 8 inch screen or whatever the size is. The graphics don't matter much, I got nothing better to do for the next 8 to 14hrs so I can even fall asleep during the movie and that's a good thing. So I refuse to watch the big SCI FI flicks where half the fun is the graphics. Or a jurassic park type of flick where a 3 inch T-rex just loses it's impact.

Plenty of good movies go into this category but I'll avoid the big blockbusters.

#2) Good Home movies. I have surround sound and a 60 inch TV. So most movies fit in this category if I'm willing to wait.

#3) Theater Movies. Wanna to go out and see a movie as something to do on a weekend. Wanna see anything new that just came out. But if I miss it, I can always see it at home via renting/streaming/netflix/HBO if I don't mind waiting. I do go to the movies quite often, 1-2 a month. I enjoy the experience. But still I missed Batman VS Superman, Ghostbusters, Suicide Squad (the only one I really wanted to see).

Batman VS superman saw at home at my bro's house last week. Ghostbusters will see whenever its free and see at home with the kids. Suicide Squad will see at home whenever it's available.

#4) IMAX movie experience MUST SEE.

This is reserved for the big blockbuster movie event that I must see in the best theater and must sit in center rows and be like Sheldon Cooper making sure I've found the perfect seat which optimizes the acoustics.

Like Star Wars VII last year, Rogue One this year. Avengers...then Civil War. So maybe a 2-4 times a year something big I would go to see it in the IMAX. (Civil war looking back didn't have to be a 3D imax experience).

It is a little harder to replicate the IMAX experience. I think right now that's the big money maker for hollywood, that's a fairly unique experience and one that people can't get at home.

Although the problem is, 90% of movies don't need an IMAX experience. The weird thing about the Batman/Superman movie was every 4 minutes during the action scenes they would pause for this dramatic over the top kinda of bad ass moment. Like when you would go...WOAH..that's bad ass. But they had that moment like every other minute. After a while you're kinda like...WTF, not every scene is supposed to be that epic. It got a bit silly, like walking down the street every time you step onto a new block you aren't supposed to pause and make a big deal out of it. It actually took away from the movie it got so over the top.

I had zero expectations for that movie I didn't know much about it but I know it was ripped to shreds for many reasons so it was OK as a movie to see at home but I could see why it sucked in the theaters. But my point is, if Hollywood thinks they have to make epic blockbusters for EVERY action/sci fi movie that is only meant for IMAX, that's also not a good thing. And especially if the scenes get so goofy because they are building up to please 3D IMAX audiences.

The movie experience is definitely changing. I absolutely love going to the movies, but even me as a die hard is much more willing to miss movies in theaters knowing I can catch them at home and still have a great experience. (As long as it's in HK, I can't go to movies in America where you have to wait in line and then run for a seat, that's barbaric, I don't know how I did that years ago). Although thankfully I see that's changing IN USA.
#FreeChuckDiesel
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1698 » by crkone » Fri Dec 9, 2016 12:15 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
crkone wrote:

Eh, I think it depends highly on the film. Something like Guardians of the Galaxy or Mad Max: Fury Road, hell yea. Nothing like it. But a good drama or mystery or comedy? I'd rather watch in my home with friends or a date with beverages and good food.

Those are literally the only types of movies I see in the theaters. I just wait on everything else and damn sure wouldn't pay $25 for a rental especially if I have to share that time with other people in my house distracting me. :lol:

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,721

Post#1699 » by jimmybones » Fri Dec 9, 2016 3:47 pm

I'm bored at work and have the thought to rank some of my favorite shows. I'm going to include currently still running and shows no longer running, I'm going to Tier them, in honor of cleo's prospects thread. Feel free to join me!

Tier 1 - all time greats, 5*, Will tell Grandchildren about, time to fap, etc

-Game of Thrones - my favorite show ever, hands down
-Breaking Bad - only show that comes close to challenging GoT

Tier 2 - must see TV, only not 5* because I'm a harsh grader. Still excellent combo of quality and enjoyment

-The Wire

(there probably is a gap here, The Wire is very close to Tier 1 for me.)

-House of Cards
-It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia- maybe not the "best" comedy, but my personal favorite

*I was torn on including comedies, as it is hard to compare. But, this list is super subjective and based on a combo of (mostly)my preference/enjoyment of a show as well as my perceived quality of the show. I won't get too deep into including shows like Seinfeld, Friends, The Simpsons based more on the preference scale than deemed lack of quality.

Tier 3 - very entertaining and good television, highest quality short of the GOATS

-Shameless - I'm on Season 5 and earlier this may have been a Tier 2, still enjoying it a lot
-Mr Robot

-The Walking Dead
-Curb Your Enthusiasm
-Trailer Park Boys - seasons 2-4 mainly, I know I may be alone in ranking them this high, but super hilarious
-Workaholics
-OJ 30 for 30
-Making a Murderer - super entertaining for me regardless of your opinion

Tier 4 - entertaining at the very least, if not as much quality as the above

-Parks & Rec - haven't watched it all the way through, probably need to
-Fargo - only watched Season One but it's very good. Probably deserves to be higher based on quality
-Wayward Pines
-Eastbound and Down
-OJ on FX with Cuba Gooding Jr

Tier 5 - jury is still out, or haven't finished but somewhat intrigued

-Homeland - only watched 2 seasons, LOVED season one
-Good Behavior on TNT- only 4 eps into Season 1 right now
-Westworld - everything I read tells me this will be high on the quality scale, only watched first episode so far though
-How To Get Away With Murder- was into season 1, haven't watched since

Honorable Mention - guilty pleasure, not nearly as quality but for some reason entertained me
-Son of Anarchy
-Dexter - I was really hooked on both of these for a while. But both ended up getting super redundant, way too far fetched(even for TV) and had TERRIBLE endings.

Note: Have never seen Mad Men or more than a few episodes of The Sopranos... :o

Curious to see some of your Tier 1 and Tier 2 opinions, if not more!
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1700 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Dec 9, 2016 4:18 pm

jimmybones wrote:I'm bored at work and have the thought to rank some of my favorite shows. I'm going to include currently still running and shows no longer running, I'm going to Tier them, in honor of cleo's prospects thread. Feel free to join me!

Tier 1 - all time greats, 5*, Will tell Grandchildren about, time to fap, etc

-Game of Thrones - my favorite show ever, hands down
-Breaking Bad - only show that comes close to challenging GoT

Tier 2 - must see TV, only not 5* because I'm a harsh grader. Still excellent combo of quality and enjoyment

-The Wire

(there probably is a gap here, The Wire is very close to Tier 1 for me.)

-House of Cards
-It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia- maybe not the "best" comedy, but my personal favorite

*I was torn on including comedies, as it is hard to compare. But, this list is super subjective and based on a combo of (mostly)my preference/enjoyment of a show as well as my perceived quality of the show. I won't get too deep into including shows like Seinfeld, Friends, The Simpsons based more on the preference scale than deemed lack of quality.

Tier 3 - very entertaining and good television, highest quality short of the GOATS

-Shameless - I'm on Season 5 and earlier this may have been a Tier 2, still enjoying it a lot
-Mr Robot

-The Walking Dead
-Curb Your Enthusiasm
-Trailer Park Boys - seasons 2-4 mainly, I know I may be alone in ranking them this high, but super hilarious
-Workaholics
-OJ 30 for 30
-Making a Murderer - super entertaining for me regardless of your opinion

Tier 4 - entertaining at the very least, if not as much quality as the above

-Parks & Rec - haven't watched it all the way through, probably need to
-Fargo - only watched Season One but it's very good. Probably deserves to be higher based on quality
-Wayward Pines
-Eastbound and Down
-OJ on FX with Cuba Gooding Jr

Tier 5 - jury is still out, or haven't finished but somewhat intrigued

-Homeland - only watched 2 seasons, LOVED season one
-Good Behavior on TNT- only 4 eps into Season 1 right now
-Westworld - everything I read tells me this will be high on the quality scale, only watched first episode so far though
-How To Get Away With Murder- was into season 1, haven't watched since

Honorable Mention - guilty pleasure, not nearly as quality but for some reason entertained me
-Son of Anarchy
-Dexter - I was really hooked on both of these for a while. But both ended up getting super redundant, way too far fetched(even for TV) and had TERRIBLE endings.

Note: Have never seen Mad Men or more than a few episodes of The Sopranos... :o

Curious to see some of your Tier 1 and Tier 2 opinions, if not more!

I made this list three years ago, with Tiers and all.

If I updated it the list would look A LOT different. Maybe I'll do that next week.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks