humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Re: 2016 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1321 » by humanrefutation » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Finished Stranger Things. Thoughts...

Spoiler:
Very good show. While there were definitely some characters that I found almost amazingly stupid - like the Wheeler mom who seemed oblivious to the fact that there was a superhuman kid living in the basement - there was enough good in the show to make it a worthwhile experience.

I enjoyed the many ET vibes and callbacks in the show. There was a point, when El + the boys were being chased by the vans full of Hawkins lab folks, when I almost thought she was going to make the bikes fly over the vans ala ET, which might have been too on-the-nose for me. But, her choice to flip a van instead was 100% better.

I have many theories of how the show could proceed. My biggest concern, honestly, is that this show doesn't have the kind of narrative staying power to keep me interested and engaged going forward. It seems like we're already starting to see some signs that the monster isn't dead - the slugs that Will was spitting out towards the end seem to portend a return - and also signs that El may still exist in some capacity as well. Yeah, there are some mysteries that went unanswered this first season, but I don't know how interesting it would be if the story went down a similar path next season. This could all get very boring, very fast.

This might almost work out better as an anthology series ala True Detective, with a different monster/mystery, in a different town/city, every season.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,558

Post#1322 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:40 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Finished Stranger Things. Thoughts...

Spoiler:
I have many theories of how the show could proceed. My biggest concern, honestly, is that this show doesn't have the kind of narrative staying power to keep me interested and engaged going forward. It seems like we're already starting to see some signs that the monster isn't dead - the slugs that Will was spitting out towards the end seem to portend a return - and also signs that El may still exist in some capacity as well. Yeah, there are some mysteries that went unanswered this first season, but I don't know how interesting it would be if the story went down a similar path next season. This could all get very boring, very fast.

That's my biggest worry by far. Everything about it seems too good to last. The pacing of the story was/is fantastic but there are only so many logical outcomes to it, and you can only keep the audience guessing for so many seasons before the narrative becomes cliche, ala Lost or Twin Peaks. The E.T. influences brings up an interesting question for me, basically, "Would E.T. work as a TV show as well as it worked as a movie?" They're going to have to walk a fine line in not getting caught up in their own hype and dragging on the series for too long.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#1323 » by crkone » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:42 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:

Spoiler:

That's my biggest worry by far. Everything about it seems too good to last. The pacing of the story was/is fantastic but there are only so many logical outcomes to it, and you can only keep the audience guessing for so many seasons before the narrative becomes cliche, ala Lost or Twin Peaks. The E.T. influences brings up an interesting question for me, basically, "Would E.T. work as a TV show as well as it worked as a movie?" They're going to have to walk a fine line in not getting caught up in their own hype and dragging on the series for too long.

They should do an "It" thing and jump 10 years into the future and bring this **** to the 90s. :D

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#1324 » by LUKE23 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:44 pm

The Night Of:

Spoiler:
Thought it had potential, but would have liked it to focus more on the mystery and the schematics of the murder, over the Ezcema, and non-story lines. Also thought the overall prison dynamic was unrealistic as hell across the board, as was the lawyer love interest, drug trafficking piece.

Liked the mood and tone of the show (similar to The Killing IMO), but thought it had way too much wasted air time. Spend more time on the whodunit, other suspects, etc.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#1325 » by emunney » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:23 pm

crkone wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:

Spoiler:

They should do an "It" thing and jump 10 years into the future and bring this **** to the 90s. :D

They're going to have to jump forward a year if they keep the same cast. Kids grow and what not.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#1326 » by hege53190 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:25 pm

BadgersBucks wrote:
hege53190 wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:
Just that I loved everything about The Night Of, finale included. Even more than the first True Detective. Really appreciated the "Limited Series" in that 8 episodes with a 2 hour finale was the perfect time frame for the show. Oh yeah, and of course Tuttero is the f***ing man and I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot more of Riz Ahmed in the near future.[/quote?

Really??

Spoiler:
I thought it started decent but the last two episodes were a train wreck. Especially for Chandra. It seemed like the show was full of horrific decision makers and thought processes throughout. Except Chandra. Well she made up for it and then some in the final two episodes. From Kissing her client, to putting a known drug addicted defendant on the stand, to muling drugs into the prison; She went from one of the only non cartoonish characters into the biggest dunce.

There is a huge gap between "The night of" and Season 1 of "True Detective".

Response:

Spoiler:
I really liked it overall. Very interesting story just purely from the crime procedural type of view. Reminiscent to me of Season 1 Homeland with the "did he or didn't he" type thing going on like homeland's "is he good or bad" type thing. And then throw on top of the larger societal aspects the show hit upon and I thought it was really good overall. Great acting throughout, though I thought they could have done better with the female DA. Didn't like the casting and acting of her.

You pointed out the one big flag of it though, but really any of these awesome shows you can always point out something that doesn't quite make sense but they needed to do it to move the story in a certain direction. It just didn't line up with her character at that point to do it. That said, I'm wondering if it will make more sense if/when they do a season two as a way to keep following her and possibly of her/Naz interacting going forward. If this will truly be a stand alone season then they should have just had her kind of be the #2 from the beginning, since the point here was to get Tuttero back as the lead/hero. That and they wanted a way to try for that mistrial possibility to take place, it just didn't line up with her character though.

The Night Of- one big flaw?
Spoiler:
come on. Only the Chandra flaw? This show was full of flaws.

Just to get it out of the way. Let's look at the most agregious first.

The boyfriend did it.

It was a crime of passion. But nobody looked at what the victim was doing 2 seconds before she got in the cab?

Oh literally 2 minutes before she got in the cab (which they had video of) she happened to have an argument conveniently caught on tape with her boyfriend financial advisor who happens to be a gambling ADDICT and stealing from her. How convenient. But all these professionals never looked where she was coming from before she got in the cab.

She didn't have any friends or neighbors to figure out who this girl was? I mean it was a super high profile murder and nobody could come up with the boyfriend until the end.

If there is just one. That is the major one.

There are a ton more from to many convenient alternative suspects to characters just making so many bad decisions that you start to wonder how these characters are still alive at this point in their lives.

Whatever. I watched and don't mean to belittle your opinion. I am just surprised anyone would say this is a good TV show much less better than one of my favorite shows, True Detective.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#1327 » by crkone » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:26 pm

emunney wrote:
crkone wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:

They're going to have to jump forward a year if they keep the same cast. Kids grow and what not.

Nah do prosthetics and makeup, like the end of the Deathly Hallows Pt 2. 8-)

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,123

Post#1328 » by DingleJerry » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:07 pm

hege53190 wrote:
BadgersBucks wrote:
hege53190 wrote:
Response:

Spoiler:
I really liked it overall. Very interesting story just purely from the crime procedural type of view. Reminiscent to me of Season 1 Homeland with the "did he or didn't he" type thing going on like homeland's "is he good or bad" type thing. And then throw on top of the larger societal aspects the show hit upon and I thought it was really good overall. Great acting throughout, though I thought they could have done better with the female DA. Didn't like the casting and acting of her.

You pointed out the one big flag of it though, but really any of these awesome shows you can always point out something that doesn't quite make sense but they needed to do it to move the story in a certain direction. It just didn't line up with her character at that point to do it. That said, I'm wondering if it will make more sense if/when they do a season two as a way to keep following her and possibly of her/Naz interacting going forward. If this will truly be a stand alone season then they should have just had her kind of be the #2 from the beginning, since the point here was to get Tuttero back as the lead/hero. That and they wanted a way to try for that mistrial possibility to take place, it just didn't line up with her character though.

The Night Of- one big flaw?
Spoiler:
come on. Only the Chandra flaw? This show was full of flaws.

Just to get it out of the way. Let's look at the most agregious first.

The boyfriend did it.

It was a crime of passion. But nobody looked at what the victim was doing 2 seconds before she got in the cab?

Oh literally 2 minutes before she got in the cab (which they had video of) she happened to have an argument conveniently caught on tape with her boyfriend financial advisor who happens to be a gambling ADDICT and stealing from her. How convenient. But all these professionals never looked where she was coming from before she got in the cab.

She didn't have any friends or neighbors to figure out who this girl was? I mean it was a super high profile murder and nobody could come up with the boyfriend until the end.

If there is just one. That is the major one.

There are a ton more from to many convenient alternative suspects to characters just making so many bad decisions that you start to wonder how these characters are still alive at this point in their lives.

Whatever. I watched and don't mean to belittle your opinion. I am just surprised anyone would say this is a good TV show much less better than one of my favorite shows, True Detective.

I probably should have phrased as "biggest flag". But like I said before, you can nitpick little things like you're talking about here in literally any show. I mean many here do the same thing regularly about GoT and that's considered the best show on TV. How many things were way too 'convenient' on Breaking Bad for example.

Actually, one flaw you're pointing out here is actually the whole point of the show. The presumption of guilt and rush to judgment which led to them not doing their due diligence on the victim and other scenarios. Essentially that was the theme of the show and the point they were trying to make.

Also, I wasn't the one to compare to True Detective. I haven't watched it yet, still on my long list.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,123

Post#1329 » by DingleJerry » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:14 pm

LUKE23 wrote:The Night Of:

Spoiler:
Thought it had potential, but would have liked it to focus more on the mystery and the schematics of the murder, over the Ezcema, and non-story lines. Also thought the overall prison dynamic was unrealistic as hell across the board, as was the lawyer love interest, drug trafficking piece.

Liked the mood and tone of the show (similar to The Killing IMO), but thought it had way too much wasted air time. Spend more time on the whodunit, other suspects, etc.

I agree with some of these criticisms. I was waiting for the cat to be tied in somehow that mattered to the crime. Turns out it and the Ezcema was just about character building but somewhat it did become relevant at the end with the 'cross to bare' related speech he gave to Naz in that he realizes it's his cross and he should accept it.

Their goal here was to focus on bigger societal themes rather than the whodunnit. Like you I would have preferred it to be that way but my understanding is they were deliberately trying to avoid that way of doing it since it's been done a million times. They even take a crack at it when he's making the story board copies and the worker asks if it's for Law & Order.

Sorry-an ad is blocking me from doing spoiler here though I don't think anything is given away
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,176

Post#1330 » by Iheartfootball » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:23 pm

Spoiler:
Very good show. While there were definitely some characters that I found almost amazingly stupid - like the Wheeler mom who seemed oblivious to the fact that there was a superhuman kid living in the basement - there was enough good in the show to make it a worthwhile experience.

I enjoyed the many ET vibes and callbacks in the show. There was a point, when El + the boys were being chased by the vans full of Hawkins lab folks, when I almost thought she was going to make the bikes fly over the vans ala ET, which might have been too on-the-nose for me. But, her choice to flip a van instead was 100% better.

This might almost work out better as an anthology series ala True Detective, with a different monster/mystery, in a different town/city, every season.

Spoiler:
I'm going back and forth with 'whole new cast of characters and story' or 'continue this arc'. I think either way it's going to be a let down going forward. I wish they could just stop there and leave it be. Mini series with no sequel.

Also, I know there were criticisms of all the call backs to beloved 80s themes, characters, etc, but to me that's what made the show so fun. Maybe it was a great mashup of fan fiction but everything is inspired from somewhere/one else. They treated the material they lifted with respect. I'm totally cool with that.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,959

Post#1331 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:36 pm

You're the Worst is back tonight. If you haven't been watching the show, I don't know what you're even doing with your life, but you can still catch up in time if you start literally right this second.

emunney
RealGM

Post#1332 » by emunney » Thu Sep 1, 2016 3:39 am

I just heard Jim Broadbent is in season 7 of GoT and I get really excited when Jim Broadbent is in something.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,228

Post#1333 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Sep 1, 2016 11:45 am

I thought The Night Of was great Sure there are nitpiks, like virtually every show. I thought the acting was great.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1334 » by emunney » Thu Sep 1, 2016 3:54 pm

Predicting this is HBO's heir to GoT (not alone, obviously):

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,959

Post#1335 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 1, 2016 4:55 pm

Was bummed to learn it wasn't based on a series of novels. I wanted to read that **** immediately.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#1336 » by El Duderino » Thu Sep 1, 2016 9:02 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Was bummed to learn it wasn't based on a series of novels. I wanted to read that **** immediately.

It's based off this 1970's movie which i saw as a little kid and loved immensely.

mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,028

Post#1337 » by mediocrityrules » Thu Sep 1, 2016 9:17 pm

That movie scared the crap out of me as a little kid.
Circling calendars since 2021
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,837

Post#1338 » by VooDoo7 » Fri Sep 2, 2016 1:39 am

I don't have HBO so I haven't seen any Game of Thrones...until recently.

I binge watched the first 5 seasons so far...what a great, great show. Definitely lives up to all the hype I've been hearing about for forever.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Re: RE: Re: 2016 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1339 » by RRyder823 » Fri Sep 2, 2016 3:30 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:I don't have HBO so I haven't seen any Game of Thrones...until recently.

I binge watched the first 5 seasons so far...what a great, great show. Definitely lives up to all the hype I've been hearing about for forever.

Welcome to the dark side where theory crafting about what will happen next and waiting for the next season to start will consume your life

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,837

Re: RE: Re: 2016 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1340 » by VooDoo7 » Fri Sep 2, 2016 10:10 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:I don't have HBO so I haven't seen any Game of Thrones...until recently.

Welcome to the dark side where theory crafting about what will happen next and waiting for the next season to start will consume your life

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app

I finished season 5 a few days ago. The withdrawals and anticipation for season 6 is too much already. The way season 5 ended...I need some answers!!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks