ImageImage

Joe Prunty -- Player development not seen since George Karl era. Permanent HC?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Re: Joe Prunty -- Player development not seen since George Karl era. Permanent HC? 

Post#21 » by Chuck Diesel » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Agree that it's impossible for us fans to determine the percentage of credit/responsibility for the recent upswing, but I do really like the way Prunty handles himself on the sideline & what he says to the media. It can be tricky reading into that stuff too much, but I just feel inherently more comfortable with Prunty at the helm.
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Re: Joe Prunty -- Player development not seen since George Karl era. Permanent HC? 

Post#22 » by Prince12 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:21 pm

Have to say, whilst it hasn't been a huge run we are on in terms on record, it has been an improvement. If Kidd comes back and it all falls in a heap again it could be pretty damning for Kidd and i think a few journalists in particular would be on to it.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#23 » by blazza18 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:31 pm

Pity we don't have any hard nosed journos following the team.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#24 » by M-C-G » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Careful guys, don't talk too loudly here if you want Prunty to hang around

Frank that led to the Brooklyn Nets' associate coach being reassigned to filing daily reports for the coaching staff. According to David Aldridge of NBA.com, Kidd hasn't been fully comfortable with the outgoing nature of Frank as his assistant coach in the early part of the season. The common relationship between head coach and assistant coach has been met with Kidd trying to regain complete control of the team.

That was part of the reason for his reassignment of Frank. He apparently wanted people to know that this is his team. He let Frank know that in November with an expletive-filled rant that may have been the breaking point in the relationship.

Kidd tried, gradually at first, to start putting his own imprint on the team. He would be, a member of the organization said last week, direct and honest with players in film sessions, going over things one-on-one with players -- "that's a bad shot, and here's why. That's losing basketball, and here's why," the source said. He tried to point out that he did know a couple of things about defense based on his career as a player (whether he specifically mentioned his four first-team all-NBA defensive team selections is unknown), and that he had ideas that were different from Frank's.

But Frank "wouldn't stop talking," the second coaching source countered.

And several outlets have reported Frank was angered that Kidd chose assistant Joe Prunty instead of him to coach the team in his absence while Kidd served his DUI suspension at the start of the regular season.

The denouement came in the now well-reported blowup Kidd had with Frank, where Kidd, according to a source, told Frank: "Sit the (bleep) down! I'm the coach of this (13-letter word) team! When you're on the bench, don't (bleeping) move!"

Frank did as he was told. Other coaches playing the Nets thought he was ill, he was so quiet during recent games.

I can't imagine Kidd didn't know about the typical head coach-lead assistant dynamic that so many teams seem to employ. Sure, there are plenty of coaches out there that seem to control the entire game, but assistant coaches often speak up from the bench to call out assignments, adjustments, and general scouting items they went over before the game. If Frank was establishing too much of the conversation for Kidd's liking, then you would think a congenial conversation would have been the logical step.

If that happened and Frank didn't relent, then Kidd's blow-up makes a lot of sense. If Kidd's blow-up came without a general warning, you have to wonder how much control Kidd feels he has with this team during their injury-riddled slow start. The pressure getting to Kidd early and often so far wouldn't be a bad thing. It would be natural to feel that when you had such high expectations come crashing down immediately along with injured players.

It will be interesting to see where the buyout/settlement sends this story next.
Prince12
RealGM

Post#25 » by Prince12 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:43 pm

blazza18 wrote:Pity we don't have any hard nosed journos following the team.

Yeah, to be clear, i wasn't talking about local journos.

CJTURT
Veteran
And1: 928

Post#26 » by CJTURT » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:39 am

Well Prunty has been coaching a long time. Kidd hasn't. Makes a big difference. Kidd could bring in big name players and is a far more respected name in the league. Let Prunty coach and Kidd GM.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,837

Post#27 » by VooDoo7 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:23 am

CJTURT wrote: Let Prunty coach and Kidd GM.

Kidd's track record as 'GM' makes his coaching decisions look like Greg Pop.

I'd maybe let Kidd stick around if he felt like scrubbing toilets.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#28 » by blazza18 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:01 am

I'd still prefer Kidd as coach for now. Get the team a real gm though. My vote would be for twirl to take over the reins.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#29 » by tski1972 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:00 pm

MCW isn't running the offense any more and the team is better.

stun.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,459

Post#30 » by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:57 pm

Prunty as coach would be fine by me. However, it likely means Kidd moves to the front office. Great from a recruiting standpoint and getting free agents...very leery when it comes to making trades.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Prince12
RealGM

Post#31 » by Prince12 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:48 am

I just want to see the rotations and offense when Kidd returns. Hanging to see if it reverts back or if he sticks with keeping it tight and rolling with Mids/Giannis/Jabari, like he should be mind you.

smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#32 » by smauss » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:41 pm

Here is the way I see it. Coaches work with players on how to react and what to do on the floor situationally. In games coaches attempt to put the right players in positions to perform. But the players must apply what they have been taught and perform. I like the way Prunty has put players in better positions by tightening up rotations, and reading how players are reacting. I also like how the players are reacting and performing as well. Could the better play be a result of coaching? Could it be the result of just player performance? Sample size is too small to call IMHO, but I really like how Prunty has handled these young players, and if things continue we will get the answer to that question.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,105

Post#33 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:17 pm

I'd love to see a minutes allocation chart for Prunty vs Kidd so we can disprove this "tightening up of the rotation" brilliance that just happened to coincide with Mayo and Bayless getting hurt. The one guy who has definitely played more under Prunty is Vaughn. But a big part of that is, again, injuries to our vet guards who play the same position.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,558

Post#34 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:36 pm

M-C-G wrote:Careful guys, don't talk too loudly here if you want Prunty to hang around

Frank that led to the Brooklyn Nets' associate coach being reassigned to filing daily reports for the coaching staff. According to David Aldridge of NBA.com, Kidd hasn't been fully comfortable with the outgoing nature of Frank as his assistant coach in the early part of the season. The common relationship between head coach and assistant coach has been met with Kidd trying to regain complete control of the team.

That was part of the reason for his reassignment of Frank. He apparently wanted people to know that this is his team. He let Frank know that in November with an expletive-filled rant that may have been the breaking point in the relationship.

Kidd tried, gradually at first, to start putting his own imprint on the team. He would be, a member of the organization said last week, direct and honest with players in film sessions, going over things one-on-one with players -- "that's a bad shot, and here's why. That's losing basketball, and here's why," the source said. He tried to point out that he did know a couple of things about defense based on his career as a player (whether he specifically mentioned his four first-team all-NBA defensive team selections is unknown), and that he had ideas that were different from Frank's.

But Frank "wouldn't stop talking," the second coaching source countered.

And several outlets have reported Frank was angered that Kidd chose assistant Joe Prunty instead of him to coach the team in his absence while Kidd served his DUI suspension at the start of the regular season.

The denouement came in the now well-reported blowup Kidd had with Frank, where Kidd, according to a source, told Frank: "Sit the (bleep) down! I'm the coach of this (13-letter word) team! When you're on the bench, don't (bleeping) move!"

Frank did as he was told. Other coaches playing the Nets thought he was ill, he was so quiet during recent games.

I can't imagine Kidd didn't know about the typical head coach-lead assistant dynamic that so many teams seem to employ. Sure, there are plenty of coaches out there that seem to control the entire game, but assistant coaches often speak up from the bench to call out assignments, adjustments, and general scouting items they went over before the game. If Frank was establishing too much of the conversation for Kidd's liking, then you would think a congenial conversation would have been the logical step.

If that happened and Frank didn't relent, then Kidd's blow-up makes a lot of sense. If Kidd's blow-up came without a general warning, you have to wonder how much control Kidd feels he has with this team during their injury-riddled slow start. The pressure getting to Kidd early and often so far wouldn't be a bad thing. It would be natural to feel that when you had such high expectations come crashing down immediately along with injured players.

It will be interesting to see where the buyout/settlement sends this story next.

I can't remember the exact situation with Frank when he was the coach of the Nets however many years ago, but I distinctly recall him clashing with ownership and his players being the reason for his firing (can't remember their exact record but Kidd would have still been on the team). Not saying that Kidd's blowup wasn't overboard, but Lawrence Frank isn't exactly the standard bearer for calm and collected coaching demeanor. It's quite possible that both guys abrasive coaching personalities just didn't mesh.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#35 » by M-C-G » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:41 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
I can't remember the exact situation with Frank when he was the coach of the Nets however many years ago, but I distinctly recall him clashing with ownership and his players being the reason for his firing (can't remember their exact record but Kidd would have still been on the team). Not saying that Kidd's blowup wasn't overboard, but Lawrence Frank isn't exactly the standard bearer for calm and collected coaching demeanor. It's quite possible that both guys abrasive coaching personalities just didn't mesh.

I won't dispute that, just having some fun bringing up that story. Before he was coach here, my disdain for Kidd led to me using this story about what an ass he is to my buddies. But Frank seems like a turd as well.

That said, what Kidd did with trying to help get the arena, and how he at least publicly is supporting the young guys has bought him some time from me. I will say when it happened, other than being in the news I thought it would be an epic failure. I am in a holding pattern on him now.
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#36 » by glenn » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:13 pm

Is this thread title for real?
:reporter:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks