ImageImage

OT: 2016 Video Gaming Thread

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Re: OT: 2016 Video Gaming Thread 

Post#521 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:16 am

It's gotten some very good press since the reviews released a couple days ago. Getting me all excited :D
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,021

Post#522 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:45 am

MikeIsGood wrote:Anyone else picking up the new Deus Ex?

Relationships are going to suffer. Can't wait.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#523 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:59 am

I'm not a big gamer but how many play clash of clans? Ive been playing for 5 months and I'm addicted. It's worse than my crack problem. Commence laughing at me.
raws
Pro Prospect
And1: 287

Post#524 » by raws » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:34 am

BucksIn6ix wrote:Any thoughts on The Witcher 3 for 24.99 or Dragon Age Inquisition for 15.99?

The Witcher 3 is my favorite game from this gen and one of my favorite games of all-time. I own DA, but haven't really gotten into it. Certainly not as good as Witcher.
raws
Pro Prospect
And1: 287

Post#525 » by raws » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:35 am

Iheartfootball wrote:I'm not a big gamer but how many play clash of clans? Ive been playing for 5 months and I'm addicted. It's worse than my crack problem. Commence laughing at me.

I play Clash Royale. Pretty fun, but also makes me dislike humanity a bit every game.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,681

Post#526 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:45 pm

I tried to play the last Deus Ex game (360 version) and I just couldn't get into it. The gadgets, weapons, and customization were really cool, but the combat just seemed really clunky and difficult to navigate. Did people play it for the story? Someone will need to sell me on the new one.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#527 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:13 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I tried to play the last Deus Ex game (360 version) and I just couldn't get into it. The gadgets, weapons, and customization were really cool, but the combat just seemed really clunky and difficult to navigate. Did people play it for the story? Someone will need to sell me on the new one.

I only truly played in combat when I had to. You can beat this new one without killing anyone should you so choose, which I fully intend to do (though I'm sure at some point I'll end up killing someone).

The story was good, not great. I think the immersion and ability to solve without killing are what sold me on HR, and ultimately sell me on ME.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#528 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:17 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I tried to play the last Deus Ex game (360 version) and I just couldn't get into it. The gadgets, weapons, and customization were really cool, but the combat just seemed really clunky and difficult to navigate. Did people play it for the story? Someone will need to sell me on the new one.

I only truly played in combat when I had to. You can beat this new one without killing anyone should you so choose, which I fully intend to do (though I'm sure at some point I'll end up killing someone).

The story was good, not great. I think the immersion and ability to solve without killing are what sold me on HR, and ultimately sell me on ME.

Interesting. I've actually been playing a ton of Metal Gear Solid V so I enjoy the non-lethal approach that the game gives you the freedom of doing. Honestly didn't know the DE games gave you that option. Maybe I'll have to give HR another play through.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#529 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:22 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

Interesting. I've actually been playing a ton of Metal Gear Solid V so I enjoy the non-lethal approach that the game gives you the freedom of doing. Honestly didn't know the DE games gave you that option. Maybe I'll have to give HR another play through.

The incredibly annoying aspect of HR was that they forced you into true combat for the boss fights, all of which were completely ridiculously difficult. One in particular I cheesed my way through. They ended up fixing it in the deluxe edition, I believe, and it's no longer an issue in ME.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#530 » by jschligs » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:41 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:I'm not a big gamer but how many play clash of clans? Ive been playing for 5 months and I'm addicted. It's worse than my crack problem. Commence laughing at me.

I started about 5-6 months ago too and I'm addicted I guess. It's nice because you can check occasionally and play for 10-15 minutes and drop it for a while.

Plus I've got some friends of mine in a WI clan so it makes it that much more fun. TH7 nearly a TH8.
pack15412
Senior
And1: 285

Post#531 » by pack15412 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:37 pm

jschligs wrote:

I started about 5-6 months ago too and I'm addicted I guess. It's nice because you can check occasionally and play for 10-15 minutes and drop it for a while.

Plus I've got some friends of mine in a WI clan so it makes it that much more fun. TH7 nearly a TH8.

The grind is real... I've been at TH 9 for about a year now. Trying to get my heroes to lvl 20 before making the jump to TH10, coming soon. Wall pieces at $3M a pop are crazy.
jschligs
General Manager

Post#532 » by jschligs » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:40 pm

pack15412 wrote:The grind is real... I've been at TH 9 for about a year now. Trying to get my heroes to lvl 20 before making the jump to TH10, coming soon. Wall pieces at $3M a pop are crazy.

Yea I had the most fun between TH5-7 and will probably play through 8. I just don't have the time for it anymore, been booted from my clan for missing war attacks (it's summer though so come on) and was invited back. I like it but once I have to grind like that for wall pieces I don't think I could handle it.
jschligs
General Manager

Post#533 » by jschligs » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:42 pm

Anyone getting Madden or FIFA? I'll absolutely be getting FIFA but I don't think Madden can get me this year. I bought it last year just as a filler before FIFA came out but for some reason Madden could never hold my interest.

What I really want is NCAA Football to be back, will hands down be one of the best sports games ever created. The recruiting, the create a team online, everything was amazing. I created my D2 university and made the logos real, the uniforms real, and everything else as close as I could and started them as a cupcake team. Never had more fun in my life trying to create a dynasty.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#534 » by humanrefutation » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:50 pm

jschligs wrote:Anyone getting Madden or FIFA? I'll absolutely be getting FIFA but I don't think Madden can get me this year. I bought it last year just as a filler before FIFA came out but for some reason Madden could never hold my interest.

What I really want is NCAA Football to be back, will hands down be one of the best sports games ever created. The recruiting, the create a team online, everything was amazing. I created my D2 university and made the logos real, the uniforms real, and everything else as close as I could and started them as a cupcake team. Never had more fun in my life trying to create a dynasty.

Definitely getting FIFA - I'm a bit annoyed it's not out right now with the new EPL season underway.

I'm saying "No" to Madden this year. I enjoyed playing it last year, but it never holds my interest once FIFA arrives. That usually gives me a month of hardcore playtime before it sits and collects dust for the next several months.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,021

Post#535 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:02 pm

I haven't played much Madden in recent years. Maybe the last two. But it's gotten some nice reviews. I may pick it up.

Lots of people are saying Deus Ex feels like an unfinished game, that it ends absurdly abruptly. That's disappointing.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#536 » by Aaron It Out » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:51 pm

On that note, the trailer for NBA 2k17 looks **** awful. That's the only sports game that I haven't been able to escape the yearly scam. But 2k16 was pretty bad really not much different than 2k15, only saving grace was MyLeague. Only thing that's drawing me is what looks like it has FIBA teams. But even that's only good if it's in addition to the international league teams they had last season. But all it really looks like they upgraded was the 'presentation' of it all - which is literally the worst god awful part about those games. **** gets so old after like 2 games. You used to be able to just turn the commentary off but now you have to sit and watch these stupid unskippable cutscenes of players going through the same 7 animations of pumping each other up, or a far shot of some PS2 quality dance team characters. Need to watch all my digital characters walk to the bench during a digital timeout! Seriously **** all that ****. I thought about taking a stopwatch and recording all the time I have to sit through 2k's bull **** presentation cutscenes, but I'd probably just get depressed and kill myself.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,396

OT: 2016 Video Gaming Thread 

Post#537 » by GoldenAntlers » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:58 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:DA:I is definitely worth it at that price. Or full price, really. But man, it really won't hold up well once you've played The Witcher 3.

Loved DA:I - great price, get it.
I have witcher 3 but havent had time to invest in it. Keep hearing so many good things about it.

Is anybody playing Paragon: why not!?
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#538 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:27 am

I might get FIFA. Haven't for a few years, and I'll get a sports game itch at some point. Madden is deplorable to me year after year, but I'll likely give it at least a rent to confirm I still don't like it. 2K is way too complicated to me to be fun (and I don't like Live, either - I wish there were a happy medium). I hopped off that bandwagon years ago.
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#539 » by H2tObes » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:55 am

FIFA is the only sports game worth buying imo
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#540 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:17 am

Aaron It Out wrote:On that note, the trailer for NBA 2k17 looks **** awful. That's the only sports game that I haven't been able to escape the yearly scam. But 2k16 was pretty bad really not much different than 2k15, only saving grace was MyLeague. Only thing that's drawing me is what looks like it has FIBA teams. But even that's only good if it's in addition to the international league teams they had last season. But all it really looks like they upgraded was the 'presentation' of it all - which is literally the worst god awful part about those games. **** gets so old after like 2 games. You used to be able to just turn the commentary off but now you have to sit and watch these stupid unskippable cutscenes of players going through the same 7 animations of pumping each other up, or a far shot of some PS2 quality dance team characters. Need to watch all my digital characters walk to the bench during a digital timeout! Seriously **** all that ****. I thought about taking a stopwatch and recording all the time I have to sit through 2k's bull **** presentation cutscenes, but I'd probably just get depressed and kill myself.

This has been the problem with 2K games for probably the last few iterations. Completely agree. The gameplay has suffered from the developers' desire to make the presentation "feel just like a live broadcast". The problem is that they don't understand that when you're playing a video game, that's all the **** that you want to skip in real life.

"Hey guys, you know what gamers would really like? The video game equivalent of commercials during timeouts and pre/post game!"

I mean, god forbid I just have 30 minutes to kill and I wanna get in a quick game of "basketball" along with my serving of digital Shaq and EJ pregame show and cheerleaders awkwardly moving to terrible electronic dance music...

Return to Milwaukee Bucks