skones
RealGM
And1: 17,160

Re: MCW OUT for season - torn hip labrum 

Post#141 » by skones » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:59 pm

M-C-G wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:
Cooleyo47 wrote:
This sounds about right... This coupled with the way Kidd handled the 4th quarter last night leads me to believe the tank is on.

I think Kidd understands the big picture.

We have a precedent for this team claiming players are injured and away from the team during Kidd's tenure. We saw it with Larry Sanders where they said it was the flu or something for a while, then said he was sick and personal reasons.

That said, I could see a scenario where they shut him down for his own good and just have the surgery early enough to be ready for next year.

If you are in the camp that thinks this was the case, you can probably assume the same for Vasquez being shut down and who knows what about Kidd having his hip replacement done mid season.

I had also heard whispers of the team not being pleased with OJ Mayo and his extracurricular habits earlier this season when he was "injured."
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,333

Post#142 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:08 pm

He's saying the right things but he's also going into a contract year.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,117

Post#143 » by Shaffty » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:10 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
Cooleyo47 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I have a feeling it's something that could have waited until the offseason (which is just 6 weeks down the road) . But as ESBF said, he was benched and unhappy so they decided to just get it done now as a way to shut him down for the season.

This sounds about right... This coupled with the way Kidd handled the 4th quarter last night leads me to believe the tank is on.

I think Kidd understands the big picture.

In this piece about MCW http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/michael-carter-williams-sees-a-future-role-for-himself-b99695427z1-373786061.html

Kidds quote about Giannis' says it all

"Michael is able to guard the point," Kidd said. "Giannis isn't going to guard the point. You've got to have a small on the floor. With Michael being able to work on his jump shot and become consistent, it only makes us better."

aka Giannis is our point guard but he can't guard point guards
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,958

Post#144 » by sidney lanier » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:08 pm

I think there's a place for him here. He'll probably never be a 3pt threat no matter how many shot doctors they bring in this summer, but he'll always be an elite defender at the one and should be able to post up most opposing PGs. If Parker's proficiency beyond the arc continues to improve, and the problem of finding a compatible five is solved (even if the solution is playing without a true center), I think MCW can become a valuable piece.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,139

Post#145 » by DingleJerry » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:13 pm

I also think he can have a solid role off the bench and be of good use as recent people said. Especially when you factor in the mass overhaul the roster could face this offseason another person to stabilize things and who you just know is at least solid off the bench is a good thing to have in your back pocket.

Just think (ignoring any possible trade of Monroe/MCW), you're possibly losing Mayo, Bayless, Vasquez, Plumlee. Obviously the bench was a huge issue all year so chances are they'll be looking to overhaul these guys. Though I could certainly get behind Plumlee on a good deal and Bayless as well if he's ok playing mostly off ball
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#146 » by raferfenix » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:42 pm

If only for his trade value it's a good thing that MCW is so open to coming off the bench.

"I don't know what's going to happen. I could stay coming off the bench, or I could be back in the starting lineup. We don't know. If I do go back to the point guard, it's how can we get the best out of you (Giannis)."

Also, this:

"We have a very strong relationship," Carter-Williams said of his friendship with Antetokounmpo. "We're honest with each other. We're not going to hide anything or shy away.

"We don't get into that. Whatever coach has planned for us, we're going to make the best out of it."
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#147 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:45 pm

Extremely calculated move to drop JS puff piece this morning on MCW doing anything Kidd or Giannis wants to contribute to this team in any way he can before Kidd drops bomb declaring Giannis starting point guard in November
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#148 » by Treebeard » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Also, even if the Bucks plan to trade him at the earliest opportunity, don't they really need to wait till he can get back on the floor in a game to prove he's fit to play? You can show medical imaging that shows he's healed and have a Doctor's okey-doke, but till he's performed in game conditions, who's buying - especially for a guy with questions about roster fit?

All joking aside, trying to shift him now, or anytime before he can hit the court; would be trying to flog damaged goods.
MadBlueEdwards
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#149 » by MadBlueEdwards » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:05 pm

sidney lanier wrote:He'll probably never be a 3pt threat no matter how many shot doctors they bring in this summer

I don't understand this perspective about MCW's shooting (or any player's deficiencies). Is it impossible for him to improve?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,616

Post#150 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:11 pm

MadBlueEdwards wrote:
sidney lanier wrote:He'll probably never be a 3pt threat no matter how many shot doctors they bring in this summer

I don't understand this perspective about MCW's shooting (or any player's deficiencies). Is it impossible for him to improve?

No, but at 25 years old (when the season starts) and having had the same ugly shot mechanics with no real improvement the last 4-5 years, it's incredibly unlikely. Some guys just aren't natural shooters.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,560

Post#151 » by Matches Malone » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:14 pm

I'm not sure I even see a spot for MCW on the bench. I'm completely comfortable letting Tyler Ennis back up Giannis next season.

Ennis has shown he can knock down the 3 point shot, has a good change of speed and isn't a complete liability when brought into the game. I would just try and find a new home for MCW in the off-season.

Maybe a team will get desperate come draft night and offer us a Bucks-like offer like we did with Toronto and Greivis. (Unlikely)
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,003

Post#152 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:14 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
MadBlueEdwards wrote:

No, but at 25 years old (when the season starts) and having had the same ugly shot mechanics with no real improvement the last 4-5 years, it's incredibly unlikely. Some guys just aren't natural shooters.

I disagree with regards to his shot. It doesn't look broke at all. Here are his three point makes.

There's nothing wrong with that shot.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#153 » by crkone » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:16 pm

He needs to concentrate on shooting and defense for the time being. His defense fell off a cliff this season.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#154 » by Badgerlander » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:18 pm

it did?
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,367

Post#155 » by M-C-G » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Badgerlander wrote:it did?

I can't see this image, think it is a firewall thing, what is it of? Is this in regards to MCW defense?

Because I would have thought his defense was definitely down this year.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#156 » by Badgerlander » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:26 pm

M-C-G wrote:

I can't see this image, think it is a firewall thing, what is it of? Is this in regards to MCW defense?

MCW 90th percentile in PnR defense
http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/ball-handler/?OD=defensive&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&dir=1&sort=TeamNameAbbreviation
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#157 » by Prince12 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:28 pm

MCW got himself ready for big matchups and had some nice nights but mostly he wasn't as engaged as usual and didn't defend to near the level he is capable of.

I don't really see a role for him and happy for him to go but doubt he has any value.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#158 » by M-C-G » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:33 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/ball-handler/?OD=defensive&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&dir=1&sort=TeamNameAbbreviation

Interesting...maybe more interesting is looking at the bottom percentile of guys that had over 100 possessions.

Norris Cole
Shabazz
Cameron Payne
Hollis Thompson
Stanley Johnson
Bogdanovic
McLemore
Livingston
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#159 » by M-C-G » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:34 pm

Prince12 wrote:MCW got himself ready for big matchups and had some nice nights but mostly he wasn't as engaged as usual and didn't defend to near the level he is capable of.

I don't really see a role for him and happy for him to go but doubt he has any value.

I'll agree that he didn't defend to the level he is capable of, because I think he has the ability to be one of the top 3 guard defenders in the league if he wanted to, and arguably the best at that if he bought in to it.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#160 » by crkone » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:34 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

These aren't good for a zone based defense that traps and doubles the ball handler. According to these, Giannis is one of the worst defenders in the league.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |

Return to Milwaukee Bucks