Marquette Hoops Discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Marquette Hoops Discussion 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Apr 3, 2016 8:45 pm

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: Marquette 16-17 Discussion 

Post#2 » by El Duderino » Sun Apr 3, 2016 10:27 pm

Wojo has shown me that he can recruit well, but now he has to start showing that he can coach the kids up to not be turnover machines on offense and sieves on defense.
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Post#3 » by bucksbrewers3 » Mon Apr 4, 2016 12:11 am

El Duderino wrote:Wojo has shown me that he can recruit well, but now he has to start showing that he can coach the kids up to not be turnover machines on offense and sieves on defense.

Well they had 4 freshman that played heavy minutes. That will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,768

Post#4 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Apr 4, 2016 1:17 am

bucksbrewers3
Starter

Post#5 » by bucksbrewers3 » Mon Apr 4, 2016 1:30 am

HaroldinGMinor wrote:Ellenson going pro.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/716795963814227968

Figured he would. He's not going to get higher on the draft board by staying

Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#6 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Apr 4, 2016 3:00 am

Howard's "Decision" video was a little dramatic for my taste but I guess thats just the youngins these days. No excuse for Woj not to make major strides in the win column next season.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#7 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Apr 4, 2016 4:19 am

Not that it was unexpected but losing Ellenson is a blow.

With all the work they did recruiting him, is a shame he's one and done.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#8 » by El Duderino » Mon Apr 4, 2016 5:16 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Not that it was unexpected but losing Ellenson is a blow.

Everyone knew he'd be one and done if he played well.
bucksbrewers3
Starter

Post#9 » by bucksbrewers3 » Tue Apr 5, 2016 9:54 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Howard's "Decision" video was a little dramatic for my taste but I guess thats just the youngins these days. No excuse for Woj not to make major strides in the win column next season.

His brother at central Arkansas made the video. Maybe it was for a class he was taking who knows. We need pg help in the worst way and shooting. He shot 50% from three and with hauser coming in too who is lights out, they should fair better. Hopefully with a year of maturity from this team they cut the TOs down. That cost them probably 5 games in which they had a 8-10 point lead with 4-5 min to go but lost.

Triple 7
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#10 » by Triple 7 » Tue Apr 5, 2016 9:58 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Not that it was unexpected but losing Ellenson is a blow.

Meanwhile, the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world play the world's smallest violin for Wojo.

Spoiler:
"Is he not unique? No one plays like this guy. This guy is the new guy. This is the new form."
- George Karl on Giannis
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#11 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed May 18, 2016 6:08 pm

Marquette missed out on a pair of bigs in the past 2 weeks. They now have an open scholarship and I will be super pissed if they don't at least try to get Kostas. Seems like a no-brainer since they don't need anybody to play minutes this year and there aren't any transfers out there.

Come on, Wojo. Don't let me now.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#12 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:55 am

Wally Ellenson no longer listed on the official roster. :reporter:
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#13 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:30 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Wally Ellenson no longer listed on the official roster. :reporter:

Wasn't that expected?
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#14 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:55 pm

Oh I guess I never heard that. Thought it was just joked about. Good move by Wojo, though, Wally isn't a power conference bball player.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#15 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:45 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Oh I guess I never heard that. Thought it was just joked about. Good move by Wojo, though, Wally isn't a power conference bball player.

Rumors on the message board says it was an ugly split. Apparently, wojo told Wally he had to fully commit to basketball and skip track stuff. Best case scenario that it seems like amateur hour not communicating to him earlier that he would be basketball only. Worst case is he lied to him and made this power play to free up a schollie that so far is being unused.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#16 » by Diggr14 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:21 pm

Wojo has two seasons now in the books with relatively talented teams that at least one of which were capable of making the NCAA's if they had a competent coach. What has he done?

33-32 regular season over this period, including 12-24 in conference play. Pretty terrible. He's still living off his Duke reputation as a "hard-nosed" and gritty player. As a coach.. he's pretty bad. That's good news for UW and recruiting the state. Because typically it's pretty split in terms of recruiting. Honestly, I don't know why any kid that is a top 200 player nationally would consider MU right now. Campus is pretty crappy, School (if they care about this) is very average, Basketball team recently has been irrelevant since the infractions/scandals of the Buzz Williams/Crean eras.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#17 » by Diggr14 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:22 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Oh I guess I never heard that. Thought it was just joked about. Good move by Wojo, though, Wally isn't a power conference bball player.

Rumors on the message board says it was an ugly split. Apparently, wojo told Wally he had to fully commit to basketball and skip track stuff. Best case scenario that it seems like amateur hour not communicating to him earlier that he would be basketball only. Worst case is he lied to him and made this power play to free up a schollie that so far is being unused.

To be fair to MU.. The Ellenson family is very entitled and not easy to deal with. They are probably glad to be done with them.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
bucksbrewers3
Starter

Post#18 » by bucksbrewers3 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:46 am

Diggr14 wrote:Wojo has two seasons now in the books with relatively talented teams that at least one of which were capable of making the NCAA's if they had a competent coach. What has he done?

33-32 regular season over this period, including 12-24 in conference play. Pretty terrible. He's still living off his Duke reputation as a "hard-nosed" and gritty player. As a coach.. he's pretty bad. That's good news for UW and recruiting the state. Because typically it's pretty split in terms of recruiting. Honestly, I don't know why any kid that is a top 200 player nationally would consider MU right now. Campus is pretty crappy, School (if they care about this) is very average, Basketball team recently has been irrelevant since the infractions/scandals of the Buzz Williams/Crean eras.

I know you can't discount the first season but to be fair he had only 7 guys to play and only 3 were decent. He had a team this past year where freshman and then Fischer logging the bulk of the minutes and responsibilities of the team and they had a better year. He can recruit but I think he needs to have a good year this year. After this year it's perfectly fair to question his coaching.

bucksbrewers3
Starter

Post#19 » by bucksbrewers3 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:46 am

Diggr14 wrote:Wojo has two seasons now in the books with relatively talented teams that at least one of which were capable of making the NCAA's if they had a competent coach. What has he done?

I know you can't discount the first season but to be fair he had only 7 guys to play and only 3 were decent. He had a team this past year where freshman and then Fischer logging the bulk of the minutes and responsibilities of the team and they had a better year. He can recruit but I think he needs to have a good year this year. After this year it's perfectly fair to question his coaching.

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#20 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:29 am

You are severely underrating Marquette, their alumni base, and basketball infrastructure. Yes, UW had surpassed them but they are still recruiting very well. They spend top dollar on the program (top10 depending on the accounting) and have very good relationships with there alumni ranging from dwade and jimmy in Chicago to the recent alumni team that featured 8+ guys making money in Europe. Add in playing in a NBA arena and having practicing frequently crashed by bucks players (Mayo and Parker were there a lot) you can see what Marquette has going for them. Two years doesn't erase the previous eight where they made the tournament and had some deep runs. Nor does it take down the final four and championship banners.

Let's just see where houser ends up.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks