ImageImage

The Lakers pick debacle

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Re: The Lakers pick debacle 

Post#181 » by trwi7 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:37 am

BucksFanSD wrote:As an example, Lakers could add Hassan Whiteside and Demar Derozan as free agents. I could see them trading one or more of Randle, D'Angelo, and #2 pick to win now as well. That could produce a playoff caliber starting 5 right there. It's boom or bust next year for the Lakers in which Jim Buss could step down due to failing. That could create some serious win now moves this summer.

Clarkson
DeRozan
???
???
Whiteside

Sorry, that team isn't close to the playoffs in the West.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#182 » by raferfenix » Wed May 18, 2016 1:38 am

BucksFanSD wrote:As an example, Lakers could add Hassan Whiteside and Demar Derozan as free agents. I could see them trading one or more of Randle, D'Angelo, and #2 pick to win now as well. That could produce a playoff caliber starting 5 right there. It's boom or bust next year for the Lakers in which Jim Buss could step down due to failing. That could create some serious win now moves this summer.

I don't disagree that they could.

I just don't see Jimmy Buss pulling it off.

Rather I see him making some desperation plays with his back against the wall that fail miserably...unless he is overruled, despite his self-imposed (but sister-enforced) deadline to contend by this season or quit.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,016

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Lakers pick debacle 

Post#183 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 18, 2016 1:39 am

trwi7 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
#3 this year, the higher of Boston's or Brooklyn's picks in 2017 and Brooklyn's pick in 2018 plus other assorted picks and prospects beats a Lakers offer.

Boston isn't offering that if Boogie says he wants to play in LA.

We're moving pretty far down the line from "Boston can't beat a Los Angeles offer" to "If Boogie wants to play in LA."

All things being equal and Boogie doesn't demand a trade to a specific location I don't think there's a team in the league better positioned to make an offer than Boston. They have the need, they have the assets, they have the history and market. They can beat LA in pretty much everything except weather.

Well it depends on what Sacramento thinks of Simmons/Ingram vs whomever is sitting there at #3. If LA is offering what SAC believes to be a star and consider the #3 to be as big a drop-off as everyone else, there really isn't anything trumping it. Stars move the needle.
breakchains
General Manager
And1: 2,708

Post#184 » by breakchains » Wed May 18, 2016 1:40 am

Keep in mind the same people made the same comments about the Lakers last year, and the only reason the pick didn't convey was because they were so horrendous that they actually finished bottom 2.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#185 » by trwi7 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:41 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Well it depends on what Sacramento thinks of Simmons/Ingram vs whomever is sitting there at #3.

No it doesn't. It depends on what they think of Simmons/Ingram vs 3 plus however bad they think Brooklyn is going to be the next couple of years. Those are two huge bargaining chips that Boston has that Los Angeles or any other team can't match.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#186 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 18, 2016 1:42 am

trwi7 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Well it depends on what Sacramento thinks of Simmons/Ingram vs whomever is sitting there at #3.

No it doesn't. It depends on what they think of Simmons/Ingram vs 3 plus however bad they think Brooklyn is going to be the next couple of years. Those are two huge bargaining chips that Boston has that Los Angeles or any other team can't match.

So they can get a star now or wait for a theoretical star down the line? Why would they do that?
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,775

Post#187 » by Ayt » Wed May 18, 2016 1:43 am

breakchains wrote:Keep in mind the same people made the same comments about the Lakers last year, and the only reason the pick didn't convey was because they were so horrendous that they actually finished bottom 2.

Not having Kobe helps, but their roster is all potential right now so it isn't going to look hugely enticing to any of the top free agents that actually want to win. I could see a guy like Whiteside biting on the idea of being the star in LA regardless of the roster so that is certainly a possibility. I'm not sure how well he'd handle the spotlight though so I kind of hope it happens.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#188 » by trwi7 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:44 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

So they can get a star now or wait for a theoretical star down the line? Why would they do that?

They could get a possible star now and more down the line or they could put all of their eggs in the Simmons or Ingram will be a sure fire star basket.

I think I'd take the risk that Brooklyn is managed poorly enough to possibly give me 3 high lottery picks if Boston is willing to offer them all.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#189 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 18, 2016 1:47 am

If they have Bender/Murray/Whoever close enough to Ingram/Simmons, yea, they could gamble that not only is Brooklyn going to continue to be bad, but that their pick lands high enough to nab a future star in a draft where there are stars to be had. Maybe they like the #3 that much. But that's a hell of a risk if Ingram and Simmons are as good as everyone thinks.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,581

Post#190 » by JayMKE » Wed May 18, 2016 1:49 am

The Lakers aren't going to down for long, I don't think they want to gift the Sixers a high pick so there is no reason they don't try to compete ASAP.
FREE GIANNIS
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: Re: Re: The Lakers pick debacle 

Post#191 » by El Duderino » Wed May 18, 2016 1:55 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Boogie, Conley and Horford.

With what LA would need to trade for Boogie, it would be very hard to make the playoffs. Everyone in the league has cap space, not just the Lakers.

I see them doing a combination of rebuilding and adding free agents. So my guess is they draft whoever Philly doesn't take among Simmons/Ingram, keep their other young talents, but also try adding a free agent or two. Then hope in 2017 they are a more attractive option to a bigger name.
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#192 » by BucksFanSD » Wed May 18, 2016 1:57 am

trwi7 wrote:

Clarkson
DeRozan
???
???
Whiteside

Sorry, that team isn't close to the playoffs in the West.

As mentioned, I could see them trading one or more of Randle, D'Angelo, and #2 pick to win now as well. If they trade #2 overall (which is very possible IMO considering they have come out saying they don't want to get younger) they will net a huge return.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,275

Post#193 » by HKPackFan » Wed May 18, 2016 2:38 am

#FreeChuckDiesel
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#194 » by raferfenix » Wed May 18, 2016 2:57 am

Who are the top stars for the Lakers / Celtics / Sixers to chase?

I don't think Boogie gets on the market this season like Vlade said now that they have with Joeger.

If the Cavs flop maybe they trade Kevin Love but King James probably doesn't want a pick in return.

Jimmy Butler rep'd the Bulls at the lottery but could see him being had for #2 + Russell. Not sure if the Lakers want to do that though.
SickMother
Senior
And1: 610

Post#195 » by SickMother » Wed May 18, 2016 2:57 am

Guessing the Sixers will just trade the Lakers their own future first back for number 2 this year to spare them the embarrassment of having to convey eventually.
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#196 » by BucksFanSD » Wed May 18, 2016 4:16 am

raferfenix wrote:Jimmy Butler rep'd the Bulls at the lottery but could see him being had for #2 + Russell. Not sure if the Lakers want to do that though.

I think people are underrating the value of pick #2 overall. Lakers would need a "king's ransom" for that pick. Lakers would likely not need to include Russell for Butler.

PG: Clarkson
SG: DeRozan (FA)
SF: Jimmy Butler (trade for #2 overall)
PF: Nerlans Noel (trade for Russell & Randle)
C: Whiteside (FA)

That would be a playoff team in the West.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#197 » by trwi7 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:30 am

That offense would be horrible and it still wouldn't be a playoff team. I'm not sure I'd trade Noel for Russell and Randle either if I'm the Sixers.

AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,718

Post#198 » by AussieBuck » Wed May 18, 2016 4:44 am

3 SGs and 2 centers. Interesting.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
imithanos
Starter
And1: 657

Post#199 » by imithanos » Wed May 18, 2016 7:19 am

I don't care what the LAL will do this year and where the pick lands. What (damage) is done, is done. I just hope the FO won't repeat the same mistakes and learned from the trades this past year.
No hay banda.
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#200 » by Prince12 » Wed May 18, 2016 10:55 am

That's where your wrong imithanos we still have a full year of discussion on this pick.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus

Return to Milwaukee Bucks