ImageImage

Bucks interviewing execs (may hire Raptors Bobby Webster pg5)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Re: Bucks interviewing execs (may hire Raptors Bobby Webster pg5) 

Post#181 » by worthlessBucks » Wed May 25, 2016 3:08 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Larry Harris told me whenever he wanted to make a deal, Herb called a meeting of the heads, he would have to present the deal to everyone together. The business and finance guys (Burr, Walters, Steinmiller) would tell Kohl how the move would affect the bottom line and outlook. If Herb liked what they all said, he would sign off on the deal.

I imagine they weren't doing in depth projections about potential ticket sales or loss of merchandise revenue in regards to the player(s) they were acquiring. Seems more like a bunch of idiots gathering to tell another idiot what the team's salary would look like post acquisition.
Go Bucks!
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#182 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed May 25, 2016 3:14 pm

worthlessBucks wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:Larry Harris told me whenever he wanted to make a deal, Herb called a meeting of the heads, he would have to present the deal to everyone together. The business and finance guys (Burr, Walters, Steinmiller) would tell Kohl how the move would affect the bottom line and outlook. If Herb liked what they all said, he would sign off on the deal.

I imagine they weren't doing in depth projections about potential ticket sales or loss of merchandise revenue in regards to the player(s) they were acquiring. Seems more like a bunch of idiots gathering to tell another idiot what the team's salary would look like post acquisition.

If a deal would hurt ticket sales or potentially throw in the towel on the season, it was unlikely to be approved.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#183 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 25, 2016 3:19 pm

Kohl: "Build a good team."
Hammond: "Can I set the team up to acquire the best available talent in the draft?'
Kohl: "No."
Hammond: "How about moving that one guy to get a great buy-low asset?"
Kohl: "Nah."
Hammond: "So really I'm just supposed to keep the team in the playoff hunt with the thinnest of margins?"
Kohl: "Yup."
Fans: "WHERE IS THE TALENT HAMMOND SUCKS."
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#184 » by MickeyDavis » Wed May 25, 2016 3:26 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Kohl: "Build a good team."
Hammond: "Can I set the team up to acquire the best available talent in the draft?'
Hammond: "So really I'm just supposed to keep the team in the playoff hunt with the thinnest of margins?"

Assuming the Kohl quotes above are true (and I will agree they probably are), you are making a stretch to assume Hammond's quote are true as well.

Ok, Kohl ordered Hammond to win now. Maggette, Salmons, Riddick, Gooden (did Kohl order Hammond to offer 5 years too?) , etc..

I just don't see Hammond as this great GM who's been hobbled all these years. And if only he could do things his way we'd be contenders right now.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#185 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 25, 2016 3:31 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:

Assuming the Kohl quotes above are true (and I will agree they probably are), you are making a stretch to assume Hammond's quote are true as well.

Ok, Kohl ordered Hammond to win now. Maggette, Salmons, Riddick, Gooden (did Kohl order Hammond to offer 5 years too?) , etc..

I just don't see Hammond as this great GM who's been hobbled all these years. And if only he could do things his way we'd be contenders right now.

I just don't see it as entirely fair to blame Hammond when he had a set of restrictions that few in the league had. Bottom of the league market, little talent base to start, lack of high lotto picks, restrictions on who he could trade and who he could acquire via trade.

It's totally possible that Hammond would have been awful even if he had full autonomy. But I don't think we have any way of knowing that with any certainty at all. We still don't know who is making the decisions.

Basically we don't know anything except where the franchise is now in terms of talent and trajectory. Do you like the roster? Because I very much do.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Post#186 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed May 25, 2016 3:34 pm

emunney wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:All this bitching about Hammond and bringing in other GM's...

Ask yourself this. Is it really going to matter who the GM is, if Kidd and the owners have their hands on personnel too? Seems to me that whoever the GM is, is going to have to work with Kidd and the owners on moves regardless, not just on their own.

The answer is yes, it does matter who the GM is. What is the argument that it doesn't? Does it matter who our scouting director is? Does it matter who are trainers are? Assistant coaches? Does the existence of Jason Kidd render all other staff irrelevant?

A role less than you'd expect from the title is still a very significant role, and that's without considering that a different personality might well be able to exert a lot more influence.

the problem is people want to replace Hammond with somebody "better". so I ask... better at what exactly? better moves that never happen and that we rarely find out were ever even on the table? or are we asking for a guy whose more talented AND much more importantly.....could step in and win immediate power struggles with our 3 headed ownership group and hc Jason kidd.

do you have a suggestion who the heck we could get that does better than Hammond in that role? it certainly isn't some up and comer..... the next presti. the next young guru is gonna get chewed up and spit out with the dynamic this team has right now. we need a name..... and a BIG one if were moving on from Hammond. that's my opinion and I feel confident that the present dynamic is the best we can hope for unless a dude with a ridiculous resume gets recruited next by the billionaires.
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#187 » by SkilesTheLimit » Wed May 25, 2016 3:55 pm

ESBF had it right on what he mentioned about Larry Harris and his comments on the cronies having input in the proposed moves.

I like Hammond as a person. But, I can't buy into him being strong-armed by Kohl and now Kidd and that's why the team has only had 1 winning season in his tenure.

Part of being a GM is being able to sell. If he could sell his vision, he would have even had the cronies sign off on his moves. You have to sell players on your organization as FA's, sell other GMs on your team's talent, and sell ownership on your vision and moves. At a certain point, Hammond needs to be accountable.
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Post#188 » by Ron Swanson » Wed May 25, 2016 3:56 pm

Honestly, what's the difference between Sam Presti being a genius and just ending up another below average GM who traded a superstar (Harden) for peanuts and wasted 1st round picks on Byron Mullens, Cole Aldrich, and Craig Brackins?

It's because he hit on two top 5 draft picks and ended up with two superstars. It even took him half a decade to surround Durant/Westbrook with a good enough supporting cast to get them back to the Finals.

Three top 5 draft picks. It's the reason Presti is viewed as a great GM and not as the guy who cobbled together an 8th seed core of Reggie Jackson/Serge Ibaka/Steven Adams, and wasted a lottery pick on Jeremy **** Lamb.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#189 » by worthlessBucks » Wed May 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Presti did some marvelous things in the lead up to the the drafting of Durant, Green, Westbrook, Harden,etc. He is wanted for extortion in those Kurt Thomas deals. Word has it he is still on the run. Taking chances on the Aldrich, Mullens, Brackins (I forgot this guy existed, vanished), Ibaka, Jackson, etc is just smart business given the benefits of rookie contracts to small market teams.
Go Bucks!
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#190 » by glenn » Wed May 25, 2016 4:40 pm

SkilesTheLimit wrote:Part of being a GM is being able to sell. If he could sell his vision, he would have even had the cronies sign off on his moves. You have to sell players on your organization as FA's, sell other GMs on your team's talent, and sell ownership on your vision and moves. At a certain point, Hammond needs to be accountable.

This is where I'm at. I get that he had restrictions, and maybe more so than most, but every GM answers to an owner. I have a hard time believing that the owners of all 29 other teams just say to their GM, "eh, I trust you. Go do whatever you want." Selling your moves to ownership is part of the territory.
:reporter:
UWM_Brew_Buck
Analyst
And1: 883

Post#191 » by UWM_Brew_Buck » Wed May 25, 2016 4:42 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Honestly, what's the difference between Sam Presti being a genius and just ending up another below average GM who traded a superstar (Harden) for peanuts and wasted 1st round picks on Byron Mullens, Cole Aldrich, and Craig Brackins?

It's because he hit on two top 5 draft picks and ended up with two superstars. It even took him half a decade to surround Durant/Westbrook with a good enough supporting cast to get them back to the Finals.

Three top 5 draft picks. It's the reason Presti is viewed as a great GM and not as the guy who cobbled together an 8th seed core of Reggie Jackson/Serge Ibaka/Steven Adams, and wasted a lottery pick on Jeremy **** Lamb.

Westbrook and Harden were great picks, Westbrook was as low as 10 in some mocks and Harden was around 5. Jackson, Ibaka and Adams were all very good to amazing picks for where they were taken. I do think you bring up a good point in that all gms make mistakes even the ones who have been monsters in the draft like Presti.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#192 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:44 pm

It's even worse than that. Literally over 90% of posters wanted to build around Jennings, Sanders, and Bogut, and now they're calling Hammond one of the worst gm's in sports because he tried to do the same thing, which is what kept them mediocre. A few of us would suggest trading one of those guys for a top-5 pick, and in some cases even 2 or 3 lottery picks, and the board would collectively freak out even though the team clearly needed to tank. Would most people have done better than Maggette, Jax, and Gooden? Of course. But with nothing else of consequential value to trade, they would have only done marginally better, which would have only resulted in draft picks that were about 5 spots later. They had nothing else to work with. The "win-now" vets weren't supposed to lead them to the playoffs; at best, they were supposed to be the 3rd or 4th best player on the team. Also, people scoff at re-signing Salmons and trading for Maggette, but at the time most people figure they had improved on the FTD season because they kept everybody and added a few players.

It's just supremely hypocritical to act like Hammond is a terrible gm when most people here would have left the team in the same basic position by holding onto Bogut, Sanders, and Jennings and winning 35 to 45 games a year. The complete failure of those guys to even come close to living up to expectations for a variety of reasons is all you need to explain why the Bucks were so mediocre for so long, so if Hammond was a fool for building around them then most people here were as well. That's what it really comes down to. The vet acquisitions were pretty pointless, but that's not what screwed the franchise over. Trying to win with Bogut, Jennings, Sanders, and Redd as your best player is, and other than Redd nearly everyone else here would have gotten the same basic results, give or take a few playoff wins but no more than that.

Next comes the strawman argument that people are claiming Hammond is a total genius who has just been held back by meddling owners, because we have the nerve to suggest that he's not terrible. A terrible gm doesn't draft Giannis, Sanders, Tobias, LRMAM, Meeks, Leuer, Henson, and Jennings. Hammond might literally have the best draft record (relative to position) of the last 8 years, even with the Potsie pick. His other moves are a mixed bag, but he did put together the FTD team which everyone thought would win 25 games. The franchise's biggest flaw of the last 15 years has been trying to win when they had no foundation to do so; it's the business model that was the problem, and that's not all on Hammond. Not even close. He's shown enough flashes of great scouting ability to justify keeping, even if you think he's overwhelmingly responsible for the mediocre record of the last 8 years, which I doubt.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#193 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:49 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:

I don't think anyone's arguing that, but drafting is by far the most important job for a small-market gm and he's been extraordinarily good at that. This debate is about whether he's a terrible gm; just because people are arguing that he's not terrible doesn't mean they're saying he's great. They had no business trying to win with the foundation they had and they tried anyway. We'll never know to what extent Hammond was on board with that, but even if he was, his draft record offsets a lot of that misguided vision considering how hard it would have been to turn the situation he inherited into a team of any consequence without multiple top-5 picks.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Cooleyo47
Rookie
And1: 523

Post#194 » by Cooleyo47 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:00 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:A terrible gm doesn't draft Giannis, Sanders, Tobias, LRMAM, Meeks, Leuer, Henson, and Jennings. Hammond might literally have the best draft record (relative to position) of the last 8 years, even with the Potsie pick.

This.

The jury's still out on Vaughn, but he hasn't "missed" on a first rounder since Potsie. He's been picking towards the bottom of the lottery and has yet to draft a player who isn't a genuine NBA rotation talent since. Obviously, the feather in his cap is unearthing a franchise talent at 15.

Is it a coincidence that he had a string of some of the best transactions of his tenure (S&T Jennings for Knight & Middleton, claiming Kendall Marshall, junk for Jared Dudley & a 1rst) during the ownership transition when he probably had the most influence he's ever had?
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#195 » by FlagsFlyForever » Wed May 25, 2016 6:27 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I just don't see Hammond as this great GM who's been hobbled all these years. And if only he could do things his way we'd be contenders right now.

I don't think anyone's arguing that, but drafting is by far the most important job for a small-market gm and he's been extraordinarily good at that. This debate is about whether he's a terrible gm; just because people are arguing that he's not terrible doesn't mean they're saying he's great. They had no business trying to win with the foundation they had and they tried anyway. We'll never know to what extent Hammond was on board with that, but even if he was, his draft record offsets a lot of that misguided vision considering how hard it would have been to turn the situation he inherited into a team of any consequence without multiple top-5 picks.

The problem hasn't been trying to win, the problem is this is a terribly run franchise. The revolving door of declining Richard Jefferson, Corey Maggette, Stephen Jackson. Trading away Bogut for Monta Ellis. Trading away Tobias Harris for half a season of JJ Redick. Signing Drew Gooden to a big contract. The list goes on.

Maybe Hammond isn't to blame for these moves, but if we're just going to guess what goes on behind the scenes then why are we crediting him for being an "extraordinary" drafter? We cannot deny that under Hammond, most of the transactions have been poor and this team has the W-L record to prove it.
Read on Twitter
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#196 » by MickeyDavis » Wed May 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Keep Hammond as director of scouting, or draft guru or whatever, then hire someone that is competent at trades and free agent signings.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Post#197 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed May 25, 2016 7:01 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I just don't see Hammond as this great GM who's been hobbled all these years. And if only he could do things his way we'd be contenders right now.

The problem hasn't been trying to win, the problem is this is a terribly run franchise. The revolving door of declining Richard Jefferson, Corey Maggette, Stephen Jackson. Trading away Bogut for Monta Ellis. Trading away Tobias Harris for half a season of JJ Redick. Signing Drew Gooden to a big contract. The list goes on.

Maybe Hammond isn't to blame for these moves, but if we're just going to guess what goes on behind the scenes then why are we crediting him for being an "extraordinary" drafter? We cannot deny that under Hammond, most of the transactions have been poor and this team has the W-L record to prove it.

those moves you mention, are rather insignificant one way or the other to the state of the franchise. every team good and bad has a revolving door much like that.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#198 » by Badgerlander » Wed May 25, 2016 7:13 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Keep Hammond as director of scouting, or draft guru or whatever, then hire someone that is competent at trades and free agent signings.

Nah, I mean I get why we are keeping him right now because you aren't going to get a quality Gm to come in and not be able to hire his own guy to be the head coach. So when Kidd is gone next summer we can finally clean house and let the new GM build his own staff.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#199 » by Treebeard » Wed May 25, 2016 7:33 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Keep Hammond as director of scouting, or draft guru or whatever, then hire someone that is competent at trades and free agent signings.

Nah, I mean I get why we are keeping him right now because you aren't going to get a quality Gm to come in and not be able to hire his own guy to be the head coach. So when Kidd is gone next summer we can finally clean house and let the new GM build his own staff.

Which begs the question why they're doing the search now.

Personally, I think Kidd leaves in a year, but suppose he wants to stay and LED decide to extend him. Still, any GM candidate is always going to look over his shoulder anticipating Kidd's next moves - fair assessment or not.

This situation is just a puzzle to me....
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#200 » by Nowak008 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:34 pm

CHL disagreeing with you makes me sad inside, but for the life of me I can't understand all the Hammond defending.

coolhandluke121 wrote:

It's even worse than that. Literally over 90% of posters wanted to build around Jennings, Sanders, and Bogut, and now they're calling Hammond one of the worst gm's in sports because he tried to do the same thing, which is what kept them mediocre.

50% of the board wanted to tank, so on it's face that is an exaggeration. Even so, Hammond shouldn't just be graded on what mob of this board thinks. He should be graded on his performance, and his performance, given his goals, have been HORRENDOUS. Having a win now mandate in a terrible conference and only having one winning season is laughably bad.

Would most people have done better than Maggette, Jax, and Gooden? Of course. But with nothing else of consequential value to trade, they would have only done marginally better, which would have only resulted in draft picks that were about 5 spots later. They had nothing else to work with. The "win-now" vets weren't supposed to lead them to the playoffs; at best, they were supposed to be the 3rd or 4th best player on the team. Also, people scoff at re-signing Salmons and trading for Maggette, but at the time most people figure they had improved on the FTD season because they kept everybody and added a few players.

Having nothing to work with is complete and utter BS. There is a reason why this board has soooo much activity - there are endless ways and possibilities to improve this team. Hammond has consistently botched trades and FA's. There are too many what if's to go through, but since you mentioned 2010 I'll focus on that. Besides the headliner star FA's the following players were on the table that we could have gotten with out too much trouble - Matthews, Tony Allen, Kover, Barnes, Amir Johnson, Lowry. Instead at midnight we give Drew **** Gooden the full MLE after only earning the vets min the prior year.

It's just supremely hypocritical to act like Hammond is a terrible gm when most people here would have left the team in the same basic position by holding onto Bogut, Sanders, and Jennings and winning 35 to 45 games a year. The complete failure of those guys to even come close to living up to expectations for a variety of reasons is all you need to explain why the Bucks were so mediocre for so long, so if Hammond was a fool for building around them then most people here were as well. That's what it really comes down to. The vet acquisitions were pretty pointless, but that's not what screwed the franchise over. Trying to win with Bogut, Jennings, Sanders, and Redd as your best player is, and other than Redd nearly everyone else here would have gotten the same basic results, give or take a few playoff wins but no more than that.

And whose fault is it that we were building around Bogut, Jennings, Redd? Are you really going to pin that all on Kohl? Give me a break. There were many people on this board pleading to deal Redd because it was obvious he had injury issues.

Next comes the strawman argument that people are claiming Hammond is a total genius who has just been held back by meddling owners, because we have the nerve to suggest that he's not terrible. A terrible gm doesn't draft Giannis, Sanders, Tobias, LRMAM, Meeks, Leuer, Henson, and Jennings. Hammond might literally have the best draft record (relative to position) of the last 8 years, even with the Potsie pick.

This is patently absurd. Besides Giannis, his draft picks have been a dumpster fire. The relative to draft position is complete bull. You are not bound to your draft slot. Trade up, trade down, trade out. Hammond himself has traded down twice in the first round. Good teams like the Spurs target a guy and aggressively move up. Hambone trades down to get Dalembert. None of his draft picks have helped this franchise since he has been here.

His other moves are a mixed bag, but he did put together the FTD team which everyone thought would win 25 games. The franchise's biggest flaw of the last 15 years has been trying to win when they had no foundation to do so; it's the business model that was the problem, and that's not all on Hammond. Not even close. He's shown enough flashes of great scouting ability to justify keeping, even if you think he's overwhelmingly responsible for the mediocre record of the last 8 years, which I doubt.

It is all on Hammond. If you give him credit for the FTD season, you also have to give him credit for building a win now team that was the worst team in the league. Hammond had a very easy goal given to him - be a 45 win borderline round 2 team in a horrendous conference and sucked donkey dick at doing it.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks