"The Story of how the Bucks almost drafted Kobe Bryant"

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,212

Re: "The Story of how the Bucks almost drafted Kobe Bryant" 

Post#61 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jun 2, 2016 3:51 pm

I was at the draft party at the BC the night we drafted/traded Marbury. The fans were going crazy, no one liked that trade. If I recall it was the last draft party for awhile :)
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#62 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Jun 2, 2016 3:59 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I was at the draft party at the BC the night we drafted/traded Marbury. The fans were going crazy, no one liked that trade. If I recall it was the last draft party for awhile :)

I was watching an old from 2000 game recently and Jonny Mac was telling that story about Ray being booed at BC draft party.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,728

Post#63 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Jun 2, 2016 4:51 pm

I was thrilled when we landed Ray. Marbury had the "And 1" tshirt wearing fans excited, but it was pretty obvious that Ray had just as much talent and charisma, while bringing a much more level head to the equation as well. Jeez, that draft was loaded.

Also what has not been pointed out here, is that Kobe had a really rough early go of things. There are some famous stories about how he was super sullen, dating high school girls, ignoring teammates who reached out to him, and of course bristling at hard coaching and sharing the spotlight. Phil Jackson fought with management to trade Kobe... and say what you want about weird Uncle Phil, no coach in NBA history has been better at coaching and coexisting with headstrong players. I kill Kohl every legit chance I get. But there is simply no way Kobe would have thrived in Milwaukee. Ray was absolutely the right choice here.
Istanbullus
Junior
And1: 163

Post#64 » by Istanbullus » Thu Jun 2, 2016 5:16 pm

Diggr14 wrote:I think drafting Allen was the right move.

Sure, if we could have kept Kobe happy in Milwaukee for 2 decades then it was a horrible decision, but knowing his personality that wasn't happening. He was bigtiming it at 18 and angling for LA even then. Allen was the right choice. Problem is, we should have never traded Ray. When you have a superstar committed to your city and team like he was, you make sure he stays in your organization for his career. Period. We screwed that up with Ray. Hopefully the lesson is learned and we can lock up Parker and Giannis for their careers assuming we can keep them both healthy.

And it was just a couple hours after the trade when Payton after being asked about the trade said, "Ehh..It's only three months in Milwaukee." I will always remember how Michael Hunt wrote an article about how the unthinkable must become a reality, "Ray Allen must be traded" and then 6 years later was tearing that trade apart.

I wonder what would have happened it Dunleavy had just thrown a tantrum like Karl probably did when Kohl initially said no to the Allen Payton/Howard trade then later accepted.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,996

Post#65 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jun 2, 2016 5:25 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I was at the draft party at the BC the night we drafted/traded Marbury. The fans were going crazy, no one liked that trade. If I recall it was the last draft party for awhile :)

We needed a PG more than a shooting guard at that time. Remember we hadn't dealt for Terrell Brandon yet.

I remember on the TNT draft coverage Marbury being interviewed in this terrible suit with this massive gold jewelry piece that was almost weighing him down. He was a mess. Then Ray strode on the stage in a brilliant white suit and said all the right things. You just felt great about what the Bucks did after those two interviews took place.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#66 » by M-C-G » Thu Jun 2, 2016 5:29 pm

Istanbullus wrote:
Diggr14 wrote:I think drafting Allen was the right move.

Sure, if we could have kept Kobe happy in Milwaukee for 2 decades then it was a horrible decision, but knowing his personality that wasn't happening. He was bigtiming it at 18 and angling for LA even then. Allen was the right choice. Problem is, we should have never traded Ray. When you have a superstar committed to your city and team like he was, you make sure he stays in your organization for his career. Period. We screwed that up with Ray. Hopefully the lesson is learned and we can lock up Parker and Giannis for their careers assuming we can keep them both healthy.

And it was just a couple hours after the trade when Payton after being asked about the trade said, "Ehh..It's only three months in Milwaukee.
/quote]

I think the quote was "it's Milwaukee, it ain't prison"...to think on top of that deal we also had to send them a first round pick. My god.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,118

Post#67 » by LittleRooster » Thu Jun 2, 2016 5:51 pm

There's an old message board I found, that includes that Hunt article, but I don't know if I can post it? Pp/Md, can I post an old thread from another site?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,212

Post#68 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jun 2, 2016 6:42 pm

Just copy/paste the Hunt article if you can.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,118

Post#69 » by LittleRooster » Thu Jun 2, 2016 6:46 pm

Here's that Hunt article

Prospect of trading Allen not far-fetched
Last Updated: Feb. 19, 2003

Michael Hunt
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

For seven seasons, Ray Allen has served and represented the Milwaukee Bucks like few before him. The three-time all-star and soon-to-be two-time Olympian has willfully and joyfully played for the kind of low-profile franchise typically shunned by those of his standing, never complaining that his acting career or his endorsement possibilities might be better accommodated elsewhere.

The criticisms of his perceived softness and weak defensive play aside, Allen has distinguished himself in all other on-court endeavors. Off the floor, no one could ask for a better ambassador for a franchise or a city.

In his early years, he lived in an east-side duplex and indulged in the simpler pleasures of an unpretentious town. After signing a six-year contract without an agent, he bought a house in Mequon and became one of the few Bucks in recent memory to establish year-round residency. He has never embarrassed the organization with his behavior, and it's unlikely this market will ever see a more accommodating, thoughtful and truthful interview subject.

While everything about Ray Allen screams "Buck for life," the organization will one day be faced with one of its most difficult decisions. The suggestion here is that the Bucks, for the good of the franchise, should trade Allen before his $71 million contract expires at the end of the 2004-'05 season.

For one thing, the Bucks already have Allen's successor in place. Michael Redd is a star in waiting, ready to assume a major role when his chance arrives. Redd is aggressive, plays hard on both ends of the floor and shoots three-pointers like few in the league. He also has something Allen does not, and that is a bargain-basement contract.

Although Dallas caused owner Herb Kohl short-term pain by subjecting him to the luxury tax when it signed Redd to an offer sheet several months ago, the Mavericks did the Bucks a long-term favor. At $12 million for four years, Redd's contract may represent the best value in the league. But there's a catch: Redd can opt out after his third season, and he almost certainly will if he is not a starter by then.

To re-sign Allen would cost the cash-strapped franchise enormous money, starting at more than $13 million per season. If he stays healthy and productive, Redd would also be eligible for a sizable raise, though not in Allen's neighborhood by the labor agreement. Plus, Redd is four years younger than Allen, making Redd the more sensible investment.

Instead of the possibility of receiving nothing for Allen should he choose free agency after two more seasons, the Bucks could get a nice return for him, maybe even that elusive inside presence or a legitimate 24/7 defensive stopper. The Bucks tried to get that missing piece on the cheap with Anthony Mason, but as everyone now realizes, such a commodity will cost much more than the mid-level exception.

In a recent interview, Allen expressed absolutely no regrets in binding himself to the Bucks for six years when he could have possibly won more or certainly raised his eminently marketable profile elsewhere. "It's been nothing but positives here," said Allen, who did not discount re-signing with the Bucks when the time comes.

I have no doubts of Allen's sincerity to return under the right circumstances, but those options may not exist for the player or the for-sale franchise two years from now.

Perhaps the best for all concerned would be to consider what had been the unthinkable several years ago. Although the Bucks without Ray Allen might seem unnatural, it just might be the right thing to do.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,996

Post#70 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jun 2, 2016 8:08 pm

This is good stuff.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GottliebShow/status/738434473419755520[/tweet]

Gottlieb in a twitter battle with Warriors beat writer Tim Kawakami.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#71 » by worthlessBucks » Thu Jun 2, 2016 8:30 pm

Paschke is standing and saluting Tim. "It's getting rave reviews around the league."

He will deny it when the Earthquake hits.
Go Bucks!
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#72 » by SkilesTheLimit » Thu Jun 2, 2016 8:31 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:This is good stuff.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GottliebShow/status/738434473419755520[/tweet]

Gottlieb in a twitter battle with Warriors beat writer Tim Kawakami.

A part of me wishes we never would've heard about the DIrk, Kobe, and Curry possibilities for Milwaukee. Life as a Bucks fan has been hard enough, and then to think Herb Kohl screwed us out of these types of players in a Bucks uniform makes us all want to :banghead: .
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,217

Re: 

Post#73 » by HKPackFan » Thu Jun 2, 2016 11:58 pm

LittleRooster wrote:Here's that Hunt article

Prospect of trading Allen not far-fetched
Last Updated: Feb. 19, 2003

Michael Hunt
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

For seven seasons, Ray Allen has served and represented the Milwaukee Bucks like few before him. The three-time all-star and soon-to-be two-time Olympian has willfully and joyfully played for the kind of low-profile franchise typically shunned by those of his standing, never complaining that his acting career or his endorsement possibilities might be better accommodated elsewhere.

The criticisms of his perceived softness and weak defensive play aside, Allen has distinguished himself in all other on-court endeavors. Off the floor, no one could ask for a better ambassador for a franchise or a city.

In his early years, he lived in an east-side duplex and indulged in the simpler pleasures of an unpretentious town. After signing a six-year contract without an agent, he bought a house in Mequon and became one of the few Bucks in recent memory to establish year-round residency. He has never embarrassed the organization with his behavior, and it's unlikely this market will ever see a more accommodating, thoughtful and truthful interview subject.

While everything about Ray Allen screams "Buck for life," the organization will one day be faced with one of its most difficult decisions. The suggestion here is that the Bucks, for the good of the franchise, should trade Allen before his $71 million contract expires at the end of the 2004-'05 season.

For one thing, the Bucks already have Allen's successor in place. Michael Redd is a star in waiting, ready to assume a major role when his chance arrives. Redd is aggressive, plays hard on both ends of the floor and shoots three-pointers like few in the league. He also has something Allen does not, and that is a bargain-basement contract.

Although Dallas caused owner Herb Kohl short-term pain by subjecting him to the luxury tax when it signed Redd to an offer sheet several months ago, the Mavericks did the Bucks a long-term favor. At $12 million for four years, Redd's contract may represent the best value in the league. But there's a catch: Redd can opt out after his third season, and he almost certainly will if he is not a starter by then.

To re-sign Allen would cost the cash-strapped franchise enormous money, starting at more than $13 million per season. If he stays healthy and productive, Redd would also be eligible for a sizable raise, though not in Allen's neighborhood by the labor agreement. Plus, Redd is four years younger than Allen, making Redd the more sensible investment.

Instead of the possibility of receiving nothing for Allen should he choose free agency after two more seasons, the Bucks could get a nice return for him, maybe even that elusive inside presence or a legitimate 24/7 defensive stopper. The Bucks tried to get that missing piece on the cheap with Anthony Mason, but as everyone now realizes, such a commodity will cost much more than the mid-level exception.

In a recent interview, Allen expressed absolutely no regrets in binding himself to the Bucks for six years when he could have possibly won more or certainly raised his eminently marketable profile elsewhere. "It's been nothing but positives here," said Allen, who did not discount re-signing with the Bucks when the time comes.

I have no doubts of Allen's sincerity to return under the right circumstances, but those options may not exist for the player or the for-sale franchise two years from now.

Perhaps the best for all concerned would be to consider what had been the unthinkable several years ago. Although the Bucks without Ray Allen might seem unnatural, it just might be the right thing to do.

****. You suck.
#FreeChuckDiesel
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#74 » by sdn40 » Fri Jun 3, 2016 12:08 am

Hindsight plays far too big a role in the Kobe situation. Back in '96 there was no evidence that players could successfully make the jump from high school to the NBA. I believe Garnett was the first guy who entered the year before. Up to that point, Moses Malone was the only guy who had any real success, and that was two decades prior to Garnett. To say people were skeptical is an understatement. Whether you consciously do it or not, you are biased by all the success stories since. At that time there was no evidence it could be done. No way you can have the proper mindset looking at that situation with 2016 goggles.

Lets also not forget how stupid Milwaukee would have looked had they drafted him and he then decided to go to college. I am never a huge fan of drafting someone who doesn't want to be here. I have no doubt that would have been the NBA equivalent of Gary Scheffield and probably worse. I'm sure Kohl also had a memory of Bruce Clark and the Packers. You youngsters will have to google that. It was before the internet and video games. The world has gotten much smaller since then. Not a lot of love for the midwest back then
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,487

Post#75 » by Profound23 » Fri Jun 3, 2016 12:52 am

Kobe was determined to play with Shaq in L.A. He already turned down any workouts for anyone and told Charlotte he wouldn't play for them if they were drafting him to keep him.

With that said, it shows why owners should leave it to the guys who do the research. Dunleavy was about to turn Marbury into Kobe Bryant and at least 3 future 1st round picks.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks