Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Re: Length 

Post#21 » by Prez » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:43 pm

Magic Giannison wrote:
Milbuck wrote:
Magic Giannison wrote:Not sure if you did but if you saw the game with NT Giannis was guarding the opponent PG quite successfully. All he needs is to get used to it and its gonna be fine .

He can switch on to PGs for stretches but he's not guarding high level NBA point guards over full games. Westbrook, Curry, CP3, Kyrie, Lillard, Wall, Lowry, etc...all the upper level guys will torch him. Maybe not on individual plays here and there but full games he's getting lit up.

It's just so unnecessary, there's no reason to put him on PGs, all you do is completely waste his length when it could be used to protect the rim and wear him out like crazy chasing around guys like a foot shorter than him.

Yeah i agree with you i just think its gonna be such a huge advantage if we could use him to guard PGs in some lineups,maybe big ones.
I think Cp3 Kyrie and wall are type are his biggest weakness as they are very quick for him and have exceptional handles .I think he can do better against Westbrook and Lillard not sure about Curry and Lowry.

The real question si in which games we can take advantage of it, so far we know that GSW is weak against the long lineups.

You need a long player on Curry, but a long player that can stick to him like glue and maintain that energy constantly. Because of that Curry would be a nightmare for Giannis. Dude is in constant motion all the time, all over the court through tight spaces around several (illegal) screens. Curry is the exact type of guy Giannis shouldn't be guarding. Not only would be impossible in many of Golden State's sets where Curry is going from corner to corner through multiple screens...you'd tire out Giannis by the end of the 1st Q chasing him around.

He might be OK against Wall or someone who isn't gonna dance on you as much as a Kyrie or Curry and is more of a pure attacker, but meh. All seems unnecessary. Brogdon has been an awesome defender, he's such a better option for that.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#22 » by Badgerlander » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:45 pm

Looking forward to seeing some lineups with Giannis+Thon+Henson aka GTH. If Brogdon denies the lane and Thon + Giannis deny the corners, with Henson at the basket I'd expect we'll see a lot of above the break 3s and/or steals for Khris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
JustinCredible
Head Coach
And1: 2,965

Post#23 » by JustinCredible » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:07 pm

I think we are the next big thing that teams will try to copy. The Warriors are small ball. We are truly turning into a real positionless team. Incredibly difficult to copy but the pieces are really starting to come together.
All posts are my own opinion.
Twitter: @itsjwills
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Re: Re: Re: Length 

Post#24 » by RRyder823 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:11 pm

Magic Giannison wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:Who the hell is guarding the other teams PG in this lineup?

Why do some many feel the need to constantly try and list Giannis as a PG? You guys know he can run the Point on offense while playing forward right?

Well if Giannis can guard PG i see no problem, if he got trouble we always can put our SG on defense.

You're wasting his defensive talents having him guard either PGs or SGs while also then lowering the value Middleton brings in this lineup by moving him to SF. You can get by in stretches doing that but as has been mentioned you're going to run him ragged doing that. (And seriously he could guard Westbrook? What? I love Giannis but that would be a train wreck)

Is Point Forward really such a strange concept? And if it is then I guess this board has wasted just tons of time discussing Delly and how it'd be ideal to just have a 3& D guy manning the 1 spot with Giannis running the point.
Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,042

Post#25 » by Magic Giannison » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:38 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
Magic Giannison wrote:

Why do some many feel the need to constantly try and list Giannis as a PG? You guys know he can run the Point on offense while playing forward right?

Well if Giannis can guard PG i see no problem, if he got trouble we always can put our SG on defense.

You're wasting his defensive talents having him guard either PGs or SGs while also then lowering the value Middleton brings in this lineup by moving him to SF. You can get by in stretches doing that but as has been mentioned you're going to run him ragged doing that. (And seriously he could guard Westbrook? What? I love Giannis but that would be a train wreck)

Is Point Forward really such a strange concept? And if it is then I guess this board has wasted just tons of time discussing Delly and how it'd be ideal to just have a 3& D guy manning the 1 spot with Giannis running the point.

Nah Point Forward is fine i just think he does more compared to other Point forwards which is why he reminds me more of a PG.
Honestly i guess im just overexcited seeing Giannis guarding PG, i just think that there is nothing he can do ... i know you can call me crazy but theres that :lol:
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Post#26 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:43 pm

If it makes you jabronis feel better I can remove the positions next to their names.
RRyder823
General Manager

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Length 

Post#27 » by RRyder823 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:25 pm

Magic Giannison wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Magic Giannison wrote:Well if Giannis can guard PG i see no problem, if he got trouble we always can put our SG on defense.

Nah Point Forward is fine i just think he does more compared to other Point forwards which is why he reminds me more of a PG.
Honestly i guess im just overexcited seeing Giannis guarding PG, i just think that there is nothing he can do ... i know you can call me crazy but theres that :lol:

That's fine and I don't want to temper your optimism, lord knows there's enough negativity around these parts, I would just caution against the idea of Giannis guarding NBA guards regularly
JustinCredible
Head Coach
And1: 2,965

Post#28 » by JustinCredible » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:43 pm

According to scouting reports Brogdon can guard NBA PGs.
All posts are my own opinion.
Twitter: @itsjwills
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,024

Post#29 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:48 pm

I'm an ideal world, we wouldn't need a PG and have everyone slide down one spot on defense. In theory it is easier for a guy to guard down a position and use the length to our advantage. Flawed thinking but if we find the right SG it will work.
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#30 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:30 pm

Brogdon
Khash
Jabari
Giannis
Maker

Eventually, like 2 years. Once players fill out and gel. I think this might be the lineup that brings us a championship
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,588

Post#31 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Easy friend. No need to be angry. I think the position listing issue is born from not having a name for the position opposite of Point Forward.

What do you call a guy who defends PGs but is a SG on offense?

There are a number of these guys in the league, like Tony Douglass or Lou Williams. Seth Curry fits best there too. It needs a name, Combo Guard doesn't explain it clearly.

Maybe Malcomb Brogdan can do that, but it wouldn't seem write to list him as a PG, as he's clearly not a PG offensively.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#32 » by RRyder823 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:47 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:

I'm an ideal world, we wouldn't need a PG and have everyone slide down one spot on defense. In theory it is easier for a guy to guard down a position and use the length to our advantage. Flawed thinking but if we find the right SG it will work.

I get that and am inclined to agree. My post was simply referring to the many times I've seen posts listing Giannis as a PG with little consideration to who's defending which position as if you can't run the point through him on offense unless he's labeled as a PG
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#33 » by RRyder823 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:50 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:

Easy friend. No need to be angry. I think the position listing issue is born from not having a name for the position opposite of Point Forward.

There are a number of these guys in the league, like Tony Douglass or Lou Williams. Seth Curry fits best there too. It needs a name, Combo Guard doesn't explain it clearly.

Maybe Malcomb Brogdan can do that, but it wouldn't seem write to list him as a PG, as he's clearly not a PG offensively.

The answer to the bolded is that player is a PG. You are what you defend
MilHammer
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#34 » by MilHammer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Fresh_Prince12 wrote:Brogdon
Khash
Jabari
Giannis
Maker

Eventually, like 2 years. Once players fill out and gel. I think this might be the lineup that brings us a championship

Probably the coolest starting lineup ever in terms of names
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach

Post#35 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:15 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:

I don't agree with that cliche. The guy who's handles the ball offensively is the point. Whether he's a point guard or point forward doesn't matter to me, he's a point-something.

I don't see the problem with adding a new position designation to the list. The game has needed it for awhile.

Point Guarder?
Lead Defender?
Point/Shooter?
Combo Shooter?
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#36 » by RRyder823 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:54 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:

I don't agree with that cliche. The guy who's handles the ball offensively is the point. Whether he's a point guard or point forward doesn't matter to me, he's a point-something.

I don't see the problem with adding a new position designation to the list. The game has needed it for awhile.

Point Guarder?
Lead Defender?
Point/Shooter?
Combo Shooter?

Fair enough. Then just call our guards "guards" and Giannis a Point Forward then like I've said.

I just don't think he should be listed as a PG cause I don't think he should be defending guards.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach

Post#37 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:22 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

Point Guarder?
Lead Defender?
Point/Shooter?
Combo Shooter?

Fair enough. Then just call our guards "guards" and Giannis a Point Forward then like I've said.

I just don't think he should be listed as a PG cause I don't think he should be defending guards.

Now that I agree with. We want Giannis defending as close to the basket as possible so his shot blocking is the biggest factor possible.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks